Shano76
Years ago

CJ Bruton next 36ers coach?

Firming for the job according to Boti.

Topic #49198 | Report this topic

Shano76  
Years ago

Interesting that the Gaze rumours seem to be true. That's mind boggling considering his stint with the Kings. Be good to see CJ get a gig. Not sure he’s the right guy, but he’s got great pedigree and done an apprenticeship.

Reply #870269 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

If Boti is to be believed the Sixers had on their list / reach out to :

- John Rillie
- Brett Brown
- Andrew Gaze
- Brett Maher
- Phil Smyth
- Some unknown G League coach (front runner before CJ).
- CJ.

I was one that said no one could ever consider Andrew Gaze again as HC after Sydney.

Thank you JVG for proving just how wrong I am, my opinion of the front office just dropped a little more. Did GK OK the move to reach out to Gaze or was it just on JVG's own genetic level inclinations?

At least they had the initiative to aim high (Brown), but thats like me asking Kendall Jenner over for Netflix and chill.

Honestly I was hoping to get an established coach, its bad enough that the new guy does not get a chance to formulate his own team, but it may be a rookie coach to boot. Now we are going to spend big money just to have an 'out' that CJ's first year is about 'feeling out' the team and will improve on the second year.

Especially at a club which for all we know, might still be paying Joey Wright, Conner Henry and Jamie Pearlman through next season too.

This would be hilarious if true, I hope not.

Reply #870273 | Report this post

Truth  
Years ago

The way its going we will end up with Andy Simons...

Reply #870274 | Report this post

Bullets  
Years ago

@LoveBroker:
"thats like me asking Kendall Jenner over for Netflix and chill"
Gold haha

Reply #870287 | Report this post

Just a fan  
Years ago

You guys are acting like JVG signed gaze.... Considering there isn't a huge bunch of Australian coach’s out there of course they are going to contact gaze. Wouldn’t anyone in the right mind do the do diligence of at least reaching out to have a conversation, more or less keeping all your eggs in the basket. But no, like myself and every single one of you we aren’t the boss so we don’t actually know what’s going on.

Reply #870288 | Report this post

Dione 85  
Years ago

Grant Kelly drawing another line in the sand?

Reply #870292 | Report this post

Oberon 85  
Years ago

Is CJ a JVG yes man? If so, he's right in the mix. Seriously, who in their right mind would get involved in a club with the current owner and jvg?

Reply #870294 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

JVG was GM of the Bullets when CJ played there.

Reply #870295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poor 36ers, they so bad at so many key elements to running a pro team. CJ may not be the right man, but he is the only man left

Reply #870296 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

You guys are acting like JVG signed gaze.... Considering there isn't a huge bunch of Australian coach's out there of course they are going to contact gaze.

At Sydney he was gifted 3 stacked teams.

In those 3 seasons he made the playoffs once and that was with a team that had mo less than 3 league MVPs, plus still very functional versions of Newley and Kicks.

With the monies spent over those years that is a God awful result, Joey Wright took a spooner team to the GF the next season.

I understand options / due diligence etc but to even consider that option is pure lunacy that would at the least draw the ire of man if not most knowledgeable Adelaide fans.

I'd like to thank Andrew for not being a bullet JVG wanted to jump in front of.

Reply #870305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's frustrating is an expansion team has acted way better in appointing a coach for the season. May not be successful guiding a new team, but it's a lot better management than the Sixers are fluffing around ATM. How long did it take to work out they weren't going in same direction? Months after the season and they're now scrambling to find anyone.

Reply #870310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those teams were not stacked, there imports other Whittington were rubbish. The third season when Bogut got there they were much better. Lisch was injured most time and even Newley was injured some of the time in the first two seasons of Gaze.

Gaze would be stupid going to work for his mate JVG again.

Reply #870316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know CJ really wants a coaching gig but Adelaide.
I hope the shitshow that is Adelaide doesn't ruin his further prospects.

Reply #870323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shades of Braswell.

Reply #870334 | Report this post

Anonshotter  
Years ago

So when can we expect the coach to be named. Teams all loading up. Want coach onn board soon to at least input into the last player solution... now so critical to team success...the org over time generally got things right.eg move to EC Giddey in town Randle and so on. So trust in processes. Sknethings do take time ...

Reply #870336 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

I think CJ will do well! They've still got an import big to sign and it’s a talented roster...just hope JVG gives him the freedom to actually coach...he’d be inheriting a roster though which is never ideal..let’s hope we get it right, the team looks pretty talented.

Reply #870337 | Report this post

Just a fan  
Years ago

agreed anonshotter but I think I just had a stroke trying to read what you said lol

Reply #870338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously.....appointing a rookie coach? The only reason to do that is so JVG has a yes man. But if the show ends up in the toilet, there will be no JVG standing up front wearing the heat. A rookie coach would be a total idiot to start their coaching career in Adelaide. It's a lose/lose situation for them. Do well, and you'll get no credit, stink it up and you'll be thrown under the bus.

Reply #870341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where is Lemanis at these days?.

Reply #870351 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Japan.

Reply #870353 | Report this post

Hopscotch 66  
Years ago

haha "line in the sand" - sums that joint up!

Reply #870357 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Reply #870359 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

JVG - "CJ, you gonna coach us?"
CJ - "If you want me to, Y E S."

Reply #870363 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

@Curtley

Finally, at least some certainty with a coach. More or less, a done deal. Wish him the best if he gets the job! 

Reply #870365 | Report this post

Hopscotch 66  
Years ago

"It's expected the team will announce CJ as a coach within the next 48 hours to allow him to assist in the recruiting of the team’s final two roster spots" haha - as if! why would you let a coach have a say in any roster spots? or in selecting his assistant coaches!!!!!!

Poor CJ - will be last serious coaching job he gets sadly

Reply #870367 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

If they appoint CJ he may bring his father in as an Asst.

Reply #870381 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

That's all we need, the used-car salesman (Cal) and the door to door salesman (JVG).

Reply #870382 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Nothing against CJ as a coach (honestly have no idea how he'll be - like Gaze I question if he has the personality for it, but I could be way off - only know him by his courtside manner, could be a different story on the sidelines/lockeroom), but this was the hiring that you had to sack a dude after hotel quarantine for? Either the pulled the plug too soon before losing out on the dude they were actually after, or ... what other reason would there be? I think CJ would have been attainable before flying the incumbent HC back from the US.

Reply #870384 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Gaze's coaching personality is not like his public/commentating style, FWIW. Zero awareness of CJ's coaching ability, but he's got a decent roster to work with at least.

Looking around the league, not many of the coaches have established, high-profile coaching reputations in Australia. Wright, Lemanis, Bevo, Gleeson, etc are gone. The average fan's assessment of CJ's ability won't be too different to that of various other coaches, besides Goorjian, Vickerman and who else? New blood has to come from somewhere.

Reply #870411 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Spot on Isaac. All proven coaches start somewhere. Nothing to say CJ won't be a success. He’s been part of winning programs and won consistently as a player. Hope he gets a fair go, definitely a poison chalice!

Reply #870418 | Report this post

Just a fan  
Years ago

Too add on to your point Isaac, unlike the International coaches that join the nbl, CJ has been around the nbl during his career, which I believe is already an advantage. Coaching a team like this as your first gig is pretty lucky tbh. Looking forward to seeing how he goes.

Reply #870420 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

CJ being a rookie coach does not fill me with confidence, my default position that we are no longer odds on to make the playoffs.

Could be wrong, hoping I'm wrong but this always seem to happen here.

Reply #870421 | Report this post

Looking Forward  
Years ago

Zodiac, very nice work.

Reply #870422 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

This reeks of a similar situation to Mike kelly in Cairns. Wooden spoon first season as inherited a roster with no free agents left & learnt on the fly. Got the imports right in season 2 & topped up the aussies.Got rid of the dead wood. Season 3 still don't know what went wrong but wooden spoon. CJ & Mike are the real nice guys of the sport. Hope he gets a fair crack!

Reply #870442 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" Season 3 still don't know what went wrong but wooden spoon."

They're the poorest team that heavily benefited from the three import scenario because they couldn’t beat out other teams financially for Aussies. Without the benefit of three imports, it was a bridge too far.

Reply #870445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is AussieHoopla's relationship w/ JVG?

Reply #870446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

simp

happy to be spoon feed information to seem "in the know".

Reply #870450 | Report this post

Crazyballer  
Years ago

Are people forgetting Phyl Smyth was a rookie coach :)

Reply #870459 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

And he won the championship in his first year too.

Good to keep in mind though he had an experienced Steve Breheny as his right-hand man who had previously been a head coach in the NBL before.

Reply #870463 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

As much as I didn't rate Henry the appointment of CJ isn't an upgrade either. Sixers are progressively going backwards each season under JvG.

Reply #870472 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"of course they are going to contact gaze. Wouldn't anyone in the right mind "

No, that's the point.
Nobody in their right mind would.

Even Gaze doesn't think Gaze can coach

Reply #870474 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Let's be honest
It's pretty obvious the sixers are run by fuckwits
Flying your coach back, waiting till he's out of quarantine, then sacking him for someone with less experience, is par for the course

Reply #870475 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

The criticisms of CJ's lack of HC experience is only matched by:

Perth
Brisbane
Sydney
Tasmania
Cairns(2nd yr)

With Adelaide in that group, there are 6 of 10 teams with "rookie" HCs.

CJ may turn out to be a shit HC but not cos of lack of experience. At least he won't be up against 9 Gleesons, Gurujians, Lemaniss, Beveridges, etc in his own rookie campaign. If he does get the gig, the timing, at least, is as good as it can be.

Reply #870486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southeast 3rd year

Reply #870488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RobT worse definition of "rookie" HC
All American coaches coached in G league as HC
Brisbane coach was a HC in Japan
Cairns coach in his second season as HC

CJ hasn't coached. Nothing wrong with that just trying to say 6 teams has rookie coaches is wrong

Reply #870489 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Not really.

"All American coaches coached in G league as HC"
CJ has HC'ed at SEABL, QBL and NBL1. Please don't come back with, "not the same standards", I know that!

"Brisbane coach was a HC in Japan"
Did not know that, sorry.

"Cairns coach in his second season as HC"
Already acknowledge that, see above.

"to say 6 teams has rookie coaches is wrong". Would you accept 4 and a half?
And "has" is singular, should have been "have". That is wrong, but never mind :-)

Reply #870492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Becky hammon imo

Reply #870493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Makes sense, Nielsen into Spurs assistant, hammon wants hc job somewhere.
Nba teams on fence, prove self in nbl 2-3 years

Reply #870494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's horses for courses right now. Yes all coaches need to start somewhere but the 36ers are in no position to be taking a gamble with unproven. They need a mature, experienced head at the helm. The amount of money this club pisses away is astounding.

Reply #870496 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

"They need a mature, experienced head at the helm."

This, from above, says it well.

IMO, CJ is still more an ex-superstar-player than a "coach".

Like A. Gaze, who obviously has more years between now and his playing days than does CJ.

L. Gaze made the transition as did Cal.

Good Luck CJ.

Reply #870499 | Report this post

Sixers  
Years ago

"They need a mature, experienced head at the helm."

Connor Henry was a mature, experienced coach. How did he go? CJ will be better.

Reply #870502 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Granted. Not very well. Lots of others too!

Reply #870507 | Report this post

Just a fan  
Years ago

Sixers and Rob T no matter who we got there still would of been criticism, all coach's have to start somewhere.

Reply #870508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Happy for CJ to finally get the opportunity. I think he will do well.

Reply #870521 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Untried coaches are all the rage in the AFL provided they have experience behind the scenes, appears to be less the case in the NBL.

Maybe because so many coaches here have worked mostly in the American system that most don't really understand cos of how vast it is.

Reply #870571 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

aussiehoopla.com has Bruton as the coach, to be announced next week. From the article:

"The coaching vacancy has generated quite a buzz on social media, with names like Andrew Gaze, Brett Brown and 36ers alumni like Phil Smyth, John Rillie and the legendary Brett Maher all being mentioned as potential candidates.

With Gaze and Smyth retired from coaching now, Rillie obligated to UC Santa Barbara, Brett Brown still collecting checks from the Philadelphia 76ers and Maher currently working with the Adelaide 36ers as a "Community Coach" those options weren't really options, and Bruton was the only man to receive a contract offer from the team, one he was only too keen to accept."

Reply #870575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze, apart from a couple of stints overseas, spent the vast majority of his career with Tigers and the shuffle. CJ has spent his career with a few more organisations and other systems. When Gaze was hired at Sydney, all the talk was would he resurrect Shuffle, and how long would it take teams to learn it with players coming and going as opposed to back in his day. I've got no idea what CJ will bring, or even who will assist him, but at least he knows the league, how it operates and is officiated, and will get a chance to show his style, albeit the team has nearly been finalised.

Reply #870576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CJ would be a coach, he's just got watch out for JVG trying to coach.

Reply #870587 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

lol Hammon will be next spurs coach imo.

She should he spurs coach now, but pop refuses to retire

Reply #870592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Maher currently working with the Adelaide 36ers as a "Community Coach" those options weren't really options"

So Maher wasn't an option because he's already a Çommunity Coach?
Is this the worst piece of "journalism" ever?

I'm not suggesting Maher would have been a good option, in fact I don't think he would have been, but to suggest that the community coaching was why he isn't available is laughable.

Reply #870604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe that and when he coached Sturt he was terrible.

Reply #870608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide could do with some parochialism a la Maher. Bad local coaching to go with rubbish local players but hey it keeps the locals happy.

Reply #870616 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I'm not suggesting Maher would have been a good option, in fact I don't think he would have been, but to suggest that the community coaching was why he isn't available is laughable.

It's Brett's diplomatic way of saying I'm washing my hair that night.

Reply #870626 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

I think Brett worked out early coaching wasn't for him.
Not all great players become good coaches. I’m hoping CJ can be. I’m hoping he gets a good run at it and can put his own stamp on things. Wishful thinking perhaps!

Reply #870663 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

"The 36ers will unveil CJ Bruton as their Coach, today." - on radio news,this a.m.

Reply #870675 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah it's official. GL to CJ, hope he succeeds.

Reply #870683 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Just seen it announced on Social Media

Reply #870686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great news, I hope he does real well..

Reply #870689 | Report this post

Sports Quiz  
Years ago

Emails just arriving in members inbox's

Reply #870690 | Report this post

Anonony674  
Years ago

Who might be assistants...maybe A Green and Cal be good to give CJ experienced mentors...be important CJ has experience No. 2.. have really good feeling this appt going to be very significant.. team nicely balanced.now with vibrant motivated success driven proven HIGH IQ - season has real positive feel...winning results driven mentality.. sixers are back..

Reply #870779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Al and Cal? Could use their seniors cards on road trips I suppose to get cheaper hotels. That's ridiculous.

Reply #870781 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

See he's been given a 3 year contract. So that means only one season for Adelaide?

Reply #870883 | Report this post

Chillbaby  
Years ago

I think its a really good pickup for Adelaide and was surprised he didn't get the Brisbane gig for whatever reason. CJ has had a fairly long apprenticeship at a variety of high levels and lets be honest he was often an "on-court" coach for the teams he has played for - particularly later in his career. He's played under many coaches/mentors with many different styles and certainly has the pedigree and experience. No comparison to Andrew Gaze in terms of actual sideline experience. It's a cut-throat profession so I hope Adelaide gives him every chance to establish himself and impose his own mark and coaching style on the club. All the best, CJ

Reply #870925 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:27 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754