GordonG
Years ago

Cameron Oliver not Returning

The CQUniversity Cairns Taipans announce that import Cameron Oliver will not be returning to the NBL this season, and instead accept an Exhibit 10 contract in California. The club originally signed Oliver with the intentions of providing him with a pathway to a higher level and are thrilled that he is one step closer to the NBA.

After a stellar debut with the Taipans, Oliver committed to a new two-year deal in 2020. His second season with the club was cut short due to family reasons, which the club accepted and provided him with a release to return home to the US.

He received a 10-day contract with the Houston Rockets towards the end of the 2020-21 NBA season and in August suited up for the Golden State Warriors at Summer League.

Oliver said this was a strategic decision he had to make for his career, but Cairns would always be a second home to him.

"I want to say a massive thank you to the Taipans and the fans for all the love they showed me. The community embraced me and my family with open arms and I loved every minute I was there," he said.

“It was an honour to suit up and play in front of the Orange Army and I'm certainly going to miss it. I wish my guys all the best and hope they go out there and kill it this season.”

Taipans President Troy Stone said the club has been informed of Oliver’s status every step of the way and understands he cannot turn down this next opportunity.

“We understood why Cam had to leave early this year, and we are really pleased that he made the most of his time back home and it has opened up more doors for him. We signed him knowing that he was an NBA-quality player, and it was only a matter of time before he got the call up,” said Mr Stone.

“Our fans will be disappointed they won’t get to see him play in person, but he becomes yet another success story for our club and the development they get with us. We want nothing but the best for Cam and we are all excited to see where he takes his career.”

Taipans Head Coach Adam Forde said that he has also been in regular communication with Oliver and has had several contingency plans in place for this possibility.

“This is such a positive outcome. Cam said that he has never felt this close to his NBA dream, and this is exactly what we want. It speaks volumes of the Taipans organisation because they took a chance on him and look where he is now,” said Coach Forde.

“I came into this role knowing that Cam was on the fringe of the NBA - so we have been diligently planning for this possibility and it’s fortunate it’s at this time, during the pre-season. We’ve been prepared for all scenarios but now we can progress forward with certainty.

“I’m so happy for him, the team are extremely proud of him and now we get to move forward, sign another talented player and focus on winning a Championship for Cairns.”

The Taipans wish Cam and the Oliver family the very best for the future and will announce a new player signing soon."

Topic #49221 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

there was one name i saw following machado and cairns taipans on instagram ex nba player stephen zimmerman 6 11 foward

Reply #871240 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

He played with Machado I would't read anything inter zimmerman his a bum to

Reply #871250 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

into^

Reply #871255 | Report this post

Bullets  
Years ago

He didn't show up last year so it’s no surprise he’s not coming back

Reply #871259 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

i'd like to retract my statement

Reply #871265 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Stephen Zimmerman replacing him.

Reply #871266 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

The CQUniversity Cairns Taipans are excited to welcome American center Stephen Zimmerman, finalising the club's 2021-22 roster for the upcoming season. The 2016 NBA Draft Pick joins the NBL after playing in the NBA, G-League and Europe.

Standing at 7’0" with a 7’3” wingspan, Zimmerman recently won the Czech Republic’s National Basketball League Championship with Nymburk, where he averaged 9.2 points and 7.6 rebounds in 35 games.

Originally from Tennessee, Zimmerman played one year for the University of Nevada, Las Vegas before electing for the NBA Draft, where he averaged 10.5 points, the team-high 8.7 rebounds and the team-high 1.9 blocks per game.

He scored double-doubles 17 times in his 26 games, ranking second in the Mountain West Conference in blocked shots and third in rebounding.

In 2016, Zimmerman was drafted by the Orlando Magic with the 41st overall pick in the second round. As a rookie, he played 19 games with the Magic, as well as suiting up for their G-League affiliate multiple times.

Zimmerman went on to sign with the LA Lakers, before being acquired by the South Bay Lakers as an affiliate player and playing alongside Taipans guard Scott Machado for one season.

The 25-year old has also suited up for the Westchester Knicks and Baskets Bonn in Germany before competing in the Czech Republic, where he finished first in rebounding percentage, second in overall defensive rating and second in blocks percentage for the entire league.

Taipans Head Coach Adam Forde said Zimmerman ticked all the boxes he had for a replacement player and says he will bring a championship-mentality.

"The great thing with Stephen right off the bat is that he previously played with Scott Machado, so we’ve got a reliable character check and Scott gave him a glowing reference. We know what we are getting, and what kind of person and player he will be for us,” said Coach Forde.

“He’s a proven defender, and I think he will address any issues we have on the defensive end while also being efficient on offence. He’s just won a title in the Czech Republic, that also included 13 games in the Champions League to make the quarterfinals and we definitely want that winning mentality.

“I like how he’s got a strong desire to get back to the NBA and knows that this is a legitimate pathway to get there. He’s enthusiastic about this opportunity, he’s done his research about the league and Cairns and is excited to get out here as soon as possible.”

Stephen Zimmerman is the third import for the Taipans, joining Scott Machado, Tahjere McCall, Nate Jawai, Mirko Djeric, Majok Deng, Kouat Noi, Keanu Pinder, Bul Kuol, Jordan Ngatai and Jarrod Kenny.

Reply #871267 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

i'd like to retract my statement

Does that retraction extend to...

his a bum to
?

Reply #871289 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

"He played with Machado I would't read anything inter zimmerman his a bum to"

I thought English was taught in schools here!

Back to Zimmerman, hope he keeps getting his double doubles or more.

Reply #871304 | Report this post

Bullets  
Years ago

Zimmerman was really hyped in his high school days. Hasn't developed like they thought he would.
If he’s in shape and comes ready to play, I think he’ll be productive.

Reply #871342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is he bobs son, he could help the taipans out with money. :):)

Reply #871347 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:16 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754