Squads for 2022 in Big V.
Who is looking strong? Men's? Women's?
Any good free agents?
Who are the early favourites?
Who are in danger of relegation?

Topic #49272 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mmmmm you might be about a month to early mate.

Reply #872570 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Maybe, maybe not! He/she may be right on time. Cuts already being made.
Want to see how imports coming back into league changes things

Reply #872571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not early at all, plenty of player movement yet to be announced.

Reply #872651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely a lot of movement already or so I've heard through the grapevine. Any idea what champ will do with only 8 teams?

Reply #872734 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Championship women.
Bulleen/Sunbury will battle out. Miles in front of others
McKinnon/Wyndham a rung below. Wyndham rising with a bullet.
Hume have strong youth league.
Hawthorn might need to splash some cash.
Whittlesea needs to go down and regroup
Southern pen struggled but were unlucky not to have best player most of season.
Bring up pakenham good young talent. Chelsea come up but need to invest in youth. put Latrobe energy in talent doen there huge.
League of 10.
Big V is a development program for nbl1. I hope that these clubs don't splurge on imports and waste money. develop young local talent.

Reply #872737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Solid assessment of the women's champ side^^

What about men?

Also would disagree with the notion of champ level being NBL1 development league, especially in women’s we saw plenty last year at Bulleen, Sunbury, McKinnon that were WNBL level or simply just choosing to play champ cause of money/club/etc.

It’s still the top tier state comp and there will be imports... I would say there’s no need for Div 2 in big V though, the standard is not worth it and it stretches the level of play too thin.

Reply #872742 | Report this post

Vic  
Years ago

Men's could bring up keysborough and Bellarine/Corio?

Camberwell/Southern Pen? If they wanted 10 in champ that is

Reply #872743 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Men
Bring up keysie reward their season and YL while division 2 were top of table. And bulleen. Bulleen yl we're championship and shows depth.
Leave rest.
Possibly camberwell. Wouldn't touch southern pen. They are one man show and no depth in program Youth league was average.
Good analysis of women. Sunbury, bulleen McKinnon are so far in front of rest of league. Go through results and you'll see 20 point losses were common but of more concern almost every round had blow out games of 30+ losses. Even 40-50 point losses and suffered my middle of the rung teams.
Those clubs don't have resources to buy imports but they will to try and stay up.

Reply #872750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^Camberwell and Keysie both relied entirely on imports who have signed elsewhere. Although Camberwell's youth league was extremely good albeit in YL1 so there’s still a case if they can get another import for men’s side.

Southern pen was a .500 team... no real options to move anyone up but 8 team comp not ideal.

Reply #872759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every team that has been promoted in recent years apart from Coburg men, has been as a result of imports, what's you’re point?

Reply #872763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what makes you think campberwell and keys can't sign an import to replace the ones they lost? every team that wins has an import in every level so not sure what your point is...

Reply #872764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh no I agree, I was just meaning they would have to do so in order to make the jump.

Reply #872765 | Report this post

bb  
Years ago

Where have Lampkin & Barkeley signed?

Reply #872766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barkeley joined his wife at sunbury

Reply #872772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would expect every team next year to reload with an import. Losing Lampkin just means to me they would bring someone else in that can produce. They won't be any worse than Western Port or Blackburn either way if they do get promoted. Same with Campberwell, with or without Barkeley

Reply #872774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teams won't be "loading up" on imports. Borders, quarantine, flights and the lack of an income for a year should see smart clubs take the conservative aproach again.

Reply #872779 | Report this post

bb  
Years ago

Barkeley's partner has been at Keilor not Sunbury just FYI so not sure that’s accurate ^

Reply #872782 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Sth pen won six of their games against bottom teams. They are middle of road at best and without their shooter there isn't much behind him.
I agree with not likely imports for many teams. Lack of finances for last couple of years.
Real chance for the likes of Sunbury bulleen Wyndham to dominant and put forward their cases to go up to nbl1.
Those guys have money to buy imports but not only that but to pay local players.
Somewhere like sth pen, western port, coburg, Collingwood etc haven't finances to pay talent

Reply #872790 | Report this post

donotreach  
Years ago

You don't go UP to NBL1 you apply as a franchise

While winning helps its about more than that, look at Casey? yes they did win a little but that isn't the case nobody goes up to NBL1 you apply when they have an opening, when does NBL1 start to remove teams? or when does NBL1 get smaller.

Reply #872797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barkeley signed with Sunbury, Ish Sanders back as well.

Reply #872817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where did Lampkin sign? Keysie will struggle to win more than 3 or 4 games without him

Reply #872837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again just will get another import as does every team each year.
BigV is really becoming the remedial classroom of basketball

Reply #872841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the hate on this forum for clubs is something else... keys goes undefeated yet people have the audacity to say they would win 3 games without jacob yet before that jacob wasn't an nbl1 player... this forum is something else, just cheer on the clubs to make victoria a better basketball state as opposed to always bashing everyone

Reply #872850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To be fair thats a big out for them

Reply #872853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

seeing blackburn and western port in state champ, I don't see how keys would be any worse than those 2. They were not even competitive most of the year

Reply #872887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both would beat Keysie

Reply #872939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blackburn couldn't beat keys or half the d1 teams... same with western port.... they were both terrible this season, played with no effort, no structure, no heart. corio bay, ballarine, campberwell are all better than them

Reply #872951 | Report this post

Game Watcher  
Years ago

Pakenham Div 1 women a young team - NOT! A good team, yes!

Gulls women were good and have a good mix of youth and Vets. Filling the holes with a team of youngsters that was caused when there whole 2019 YLW team left to go to SP.
Maybe SP should focus on supporting their own juniors like tge Gulls did this year

Reply #872957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lots of issues at shark tank. Need to give them a few years to rebuild. Amigos ran place into ground

Reply #872960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't worry about the Shark tank. The hound will put the tank into shark tank

Reply #872980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forget Keysy and Camberwell. The next team that goes to the top div should be RMIT men

Reply #872981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ Hello this is the captain coach import coffey speaking

Reply #873022 | Report this post

donotreach  
Years ago

Keys should go up don't see any reason why not and RMIT/Altona as well from D2

Not sure Steve was Captain Coach, didn't Oliver Reid Coach them (had to look it up) he got the coaches monthly awards.

Surely the league brings out the divisions by end of month anyway most teams are advertising tryouts now. I'd want to knwo what division the team I am trialing at is in first.

Reply #873032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the reports are true Keysy have lost Lampkin then not sure they would be up to it without him. If they have him they should definitely go up. Bellarine and Corio should also get the opportunity as they didnt have an import.

RMIT, Altona and Wallan should all be given the opportunity to go up as well.

Reply #873119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would Wallan go up?

Reply #873121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would any of the teams mention go up when the Big V clearly said no promotion or relegation?

Reply #873122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because it could happen with keilor and casey moving up, different circumstances than winning or losing

Reply #873129 | Report this post

donotreach  
Years ago

The league needs and should balance the divisions out, I think 12 is the magic number as it means a top 5 finals series

I think with some leagues being top heavy, look at D2 Men its good to have 12 teams means bottom half plays meaningful games against each other, likewise D1

Can't see why you wouldn't add Altona and RMIT both showed to be leading in that division, Wallan looked the goods but its the same question as Keys are they good without Black? is he returning etc etc

Send Corio up and Bellarine if they are keen why not

The league wasn't going to promote winners or relegate losers, this isn't about winning Casey/Keilor moving creates gaps in the league and COVID has shown some clubs have taken a hit for the sake of an even competitive comp its always worth evaluating.

Said it before - you apply every year. I worked for a club that applied every year for its womens team to go up a division to match its men, they got knocked back for a few years before it was allowed.

Reply #873149 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

BigV just need to let the hoops.com.au forum users to choose which teams are in Champ. Although they would just say everyone in DIV1 and DIV2 should be in Chammp and everyone in champ should ne in NBL1

Reply #873174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corio and Bellarine mad to go up. Both teams run squads with full local players.
They have been successful and operate with a small volunteer base and little over heads.

Reply #873210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bellarine have been offered to go up and the good word is they will accept

If they dont that offer will go to Corio who are keen to go back up where they belong

2 solid clubs that didn't really on an a high priced import to carry em

Reply #873270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where has this been announced?

Reply #873272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bellarine players telling everyone

Reply #873278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How could the Big V justify Bellarine going up?

Ridiculous suggestion

Reply #873288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simple, Big V is desperate for someone to go up and Keysy would have been the obvious choice but losing the import hurts them and they probably would not be competitive without him. Bellarine didn't rely on an import and have the same team committed to coming back so they get the nod being the next best team.

Reply #873289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another thread say Camberwell taking Hawthorns place in the top division

Is that legit?

Reply #873292 | Report this post

Local  
Years ago

" get the nod" as next best team .Who comes up this stuff.
Any association can apply to enter this division, if you choose to not have an import good luck, yes Bellarine has some talent and if they poached a couple of Corio Bay players even more talent. But at what cost to their program and pathway. Cannot see any YL2 players ever getting to Champ level. Ego only reason to apply up oh and go 1 better then cross town rivals CB.

Reply #873295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corio Sh1ts all over Bellarine in every area

Reply #873301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are either of those 2 clubs going up? Any one got anything more than a rumour?

Reply #873342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was Camberwell successful in taking Hawthorns spot in Champ men?

Reply #873475 | Report this post

donotreach  
Years ago

Whittlesea has annouced tryouts for D1 men so assuming RMIT & Altona and them go up.

corio and Bella in SC Men instead of keys

and talk of Gippsland, colac and a third country team to enter D2

No more to be said - call it promotion call it what you want I think most of this forum including myself got it wrong I thought Keys would be a shoe in to go up

Reply #873541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No chance Whittlesea go up.

They would lose to Melbourne uni by 20pts.

Reply #873556 | Report this post

donotreach  
Years ago

Maybe so - but they are going up.

Reply #873581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ based on what?

Reply #873602 | Report this post

donotreach  
Years ago

^^ Based on their application has been accepted

They are advertising D1 Tryouts and other teams also know of moment, including myself.

Reply #873624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'donotreach' what other clubs are moving? You seem to be in the know

Reply #873641 | Report this post

donotreach  
Years ago

Mentioned above

Keys knocked back from CM due to import and the league not thinking squad was strong enough. Corio and Bellarine have been offered two spots in CM but talk Corio isn't interested but I find that hard to be true.

Camberwell is trying to be the third with Hawthorn on its knees financially and players likely to exit as well.

RMIT, Altona and Whittlesea are going into D1, while not officially been announced by the league, clubs have been told in confidence to help prepare for try-outs Whittlesea saved us all the waiting by announcing it in recent social media post just like Surf Coast did.

Surf Coast and Gippsland to come into D2M, Colac I assume is the 3rd but I don't have enough info on that just yet.

Big V is making a big push to get more CBL teams into the bottom leagues to spread out the league. Lets face it for the past 5 or more years its been a metro not a ''victorian'' comp and would help with the spread fo the game, marketing etc plus while CBL clubs might get promoted up into Champ division they are less likely to leave for NBL1 like the big metro associations.

Basically a return to the old CIVBL days, if anyone remembers those ....

Reply #873647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well that all sounds fair and reasonable

Reply #873649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would Corio not take up the off of Champ men?

Reply #873650 | Report this post

Game Watcher  
Years ago

Heard anything about the Women's divisions?

Reply #873660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bulleen women loading up with some very big signings. Should win Champ women.

Reply #873841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What, bigger signings than last season? They were pretty stacked. Who else is coming in? Probably a few Hawthorn players?

Reply #873853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Hawthorn finished second last with only 2 wins in SCW so they may not provide too many studs to Bulleen's roster?

Reply #873857 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:54 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754