Luuuc
Years ago

Coach's Challenge in NBL

The Hungry Jack's National Basketball League (NBL) will introduce a coach’s challenge system this season.

Each team will be entitled to one coach’s challenge per game and retain it until a challenge is unsuccessful.

A coach can only challenge a personal foul called on their team, or an out of bounds at any stage of the game.

All other events, including non-calls, fouls by the opposition team, violations, act of shooting situations, unsportsmanlike fouls, technical fouls, or situations already covered by the IRS replay system, cannot be challenged.

If a coach still has their challenge to use at the end of full time, then it can be carried into overtime.

To request a challenge, a coach must first call a timeout, and as such, must have at least one timeout remaining in the relevant period.

If a challenge is unsuccessful, the coach cannot make a challenge for the rest of the game.

"The coach’s challenge introduces an all-new strategic element for coaches to consider," Hungry Jack’s NBL Commissioner Jeremy Loeliger said.

“It will foster greater transparency around referee’s decisions and give fans an insight into the reasoning behind calls.

“We have studied the NBA’s coach’s challenge system closely and spoken with them about how the system is best implemented and are grateful for those insights.”

All decisions resulting from a coach’s challenge will be made by an official in the NBL Replay Centre.

Link

Topic #49483 | Report this topic

RobT  
Years ago

Halleluiah!

As it stood, one challenge only - right or wrong,was ridiculous IMO. The one that is right is proof that officials DO make wrong calls. Then the rule goes on to "say", "officials will only make ONE mistake per game!" Phooey!

Reply #877595 | Report this post

Sixers1  
Years ago

"To request a challenge, a coach must first call a timeout, and as such, must have at least one timeout remaining in the relevant period."

So a coach must burn a timeout to get a challenge? Hardly a positive initiative

Reply #877596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You only burn a timeout if the challenge is unsuccessful. If the challenge is successful you retain your timeout.

Reply #877600 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

@ Sixers1

""To request a challenge, a coach must first call a timeout, and as such, must have at least one timeout remaining in the relevant period."
I actually agree with combining the challenge with a time out. If it was open-slather, NO restrictions, at all, then we could have a challenge on every call, and everyone of them would cost time. We apparently have too many delays in games, as it is. This way coaches have a limit on challenges(of time-outs left), and we, the fans, are all used to time-outs during games. So no extra time is devoted to challenges, especially frivolous, tactical challenges.

"So a coach must burn a timeout to get a challenge?" Hardly a positive initiative."
That sounds like "complaining about the noise when opportunity knocks!"
Shit, as a coach, I'd be calling challenges all game long and while they work them out I'd be having time-outs. Sensible.
That's a positive initiative.

Reply #877606 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

If Gleeson was still coaching in the NBL he would want more than 1 as he would use it in the first minute of the game.

Reply #877610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson was the only coach during the NBL Cup who didn't use the coaches challenge

Reply #877621 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

RobT - you wouldnt have a challenge at every call as you only get 1 per game (if indeed you are incorrect with the challenge).

Reply #877630 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Challenging fouls is dumb.

Reply #877638 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Years ago

Would rather have 12m quarters then having this silly coaches challenge.

Reply #877646 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

I know. I was stretching to make my point.

Reply #877647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're never getting 12 min quarters.

Reply #877649 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:35 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754