Easy As
Years ago

Joe Ingles "Melbourne is home for us"

On NBL Facebook page today, Joe talks about wanting to play at home in the NBL once his NBA career is finished. Is quoted as saying Melbourne is home, that must really sting Adelaide fans on this forum. Regardless, be nice to see Joe play in the NBL.

Topic #49486 | Report this topic

4 real  
Years ago

I mean, he got his start in the NBL, and his wife is from Melbourne, so it's understandable (but as a Sixers supporter it does sting a little).

Reply #877651 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

It does hurt as a 6er fan, but the admin of the time screwed him over and he classes Melbourne as home. Good on him. Not sure he will have lots left in the tank after he's done in the NBA anyway. Obviously will still be able to shoot, but NBL is a tough gig too, as I think Delly will find out. Obviously as a knockdown 3 shooter he will have value but I can’t see him ripping games apart. Just my thoughts.

Reply #877654 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Towards the end of Ingles' time playing in Europe I remember someone on here said he and his wife bought a place at Paralowie (of all suburbs) I think she was playing for the Thunderbirds at the time.

Then the NBA thing happened, then they had kids and as she's from Melbourne they now spend their off-seasons living there which is understandable all young mothers want to be near their own parents to dump the kids on and get a break here and there.

I think it's more about the realities of marrying someone from another state rather than turning his back on Adelaide or anything like that, Bradtke did the same thing.

Reply #877679 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Ingles comes out of contract next year and turns 35.

At a minimum he'll sign somewhere for 2 more years, you would think.

So the earliest imaginable time he'll play NBL is aged 37. It'd be more like Dave Anderson's NBL return than Chris Anstey's at that age.

Still, I'd love to see him finish in the NBL for a couple of seasons.

Delly, Ingles, CG43, it'll be Dads Army but imagine the Melbourne United Boomers!

Reply #877686 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Nah Joe to team up with kyle adnam future brother in law

Reply #877687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" all young mothers want to be near their own parents to dump the kids on and get a break here and there."

I guess the young fathers have the young mothers to dump their kids on, so they don't need to be near their parents for a break here and there?

Reply #877694 | Report this post

JI  
Years ago

Zodiac the management of the 6ers treated Joe worse than they treated Creek on his way out of the club.

Joe would never play for the 6ers and it's sad for all SA basketball supporters.

I wonder where those admin staff are now...

Reply #877695 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

It wouldnt even need to be about his issue with the Sixers years back. If he hasnt lived in Adelaide since he was a kid, and spends his off seasons in Melbourne it makes sense that he considers it to be his home in Australia.

Hope he goes to the Phoenix

Reply #877696 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Zodiac the management of the 6ers treated Joe worse than they treated Creek on his way out of the club.

What I've heard is that Smyth and the Sixers were only willing to offer Ingles a development player spot where as the South Dragons offered him a spot on their roster so he took that.

I'm not sure that constitutes as being treated badly, a big mistake for sure but to equate it with the Sixers owner taking Mitch Creek to the Supreme Court to try and void his NBA contract is delusional at best.

Reply #877717 | Report this post

4 real  
Years ago

I believe as well as offering a DP spot, they also envisioned him as a centre rather than a swingman.

Reply #877723 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

In addition to misspelling his name and not scouting him properly Sixers offered less than the legal minimum wage as remuneration.

Reply #877739 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

A fair few DP's as they're not actually on the roster are either paid nothing to keep their college eligibility or mickey mouse money at that, so it kind of stands to reason Ingles was offered FA money as he was only offered a DP spot.

Not sure if it was Ingles who's contract offer from the Sixers had his last name misspelled or Newley, I've heard that story attributed to both guys.

Reply #877749 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

We can be flippant about them misspelling his name (I think it was him, not Newley) because that's just basic, they only needed to accurately copy his name. But for a town’s only NBL team to not be aware of a major basketball talent from an historically prominent local basketball family, speaks volumes for the level of community involvement.

Can you imagine an AFL recruiter from the Crows or Power not knowing the son/s of promising youngsters related to former SANFL or AFL players? Or not having semi-regular social chats with the prospect and their family? Do the 36ers have looks around local District games on Friday nights? Talk to players, families, coaches and even umpires about promising kids and who to watch?

Reply #877756 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

UTH gets it.

Sure DPs back then got less than minimum wage and were desperate so clubs could get away with it but for the Sixers to offer the same money and an inappropriate position on the team to someone of Ingles' talent highlights how lazy the organisation was.

Reply #877761 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Didn't another Boomers player (Bogut?) joke years ago about Ingles buying up so much property in Melbourne?

Reply #877776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On top of not spelling the name correctly and the DP situation, didn't they also label him as a centre?

Reply #877777 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Sixers thought he was a four/five combo.

Reply #877807 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:31 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754