Manu Fieldel
Years ago

Cairns carnage at the Jungle, 5 Dec

Would love the community's thoughts on us Snakes and our fantastically stagnant offence, headed by a volatile point guard who mentally checked out before the season even started.

Tahjere McCall is fantastically fantastic however. Like the look of him in a United jersey next season.

Zimmerman is about as limp as the wrist of a soy boy latte sipper. Lovebroker knows what I'm talking about ;)

As a team they have learned the value of boxing out, so as to eliminate opponents racking up 17 offensive rebounds per game against them. That box is checked; Perth didn't grab 17 offensive rebounds tonight.

Topic #49509 | Report this topic

Greybuoy  
Years ago

Says a motza that 4 hours after the game starts Manu is the first to post anything about it.
To Cairns' shame the League isn’t interested; if you’re an Orange fan there is no upside to reminding anyone.
Underdog status isn’t valuable unless there is a legit chance the positions can be reversed.
The nonsense started with the farce release of Oliver, but probably a lot earlier.
Good thing the Jumpers will keep it interesting.

Reply #878214 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Yeah, sad state of affairs isn't it.
We need Baynesy to come home with his hand in his pocket. Owner, captain and coach. I don't care. We need private ownership now more than ever.

LK rightly doesn't want to touch us, and the fanbase just floats around with its head in the clouds. "Yay boys, good effort we'll get em next time."

We'll be ded soon at this rate

Reply #878215 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Cairns used to be the little caboose that could but now has derailed.

Reply #878217 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Hahaha thank you PW. We still got caboose, look at Nate

Reply #878218 | Report this post

Diop Kick  
Years ago

Wagstaff with a lazy 10 points in 2 minutes to end the game

Reply #878219 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Wagstaff with a lazy 10 points in 2 minutes to end the game

Cotton was back to usual mode but yeah that Wagstaff purple patch was particularly entertaining/amusing for me. Was nice to see the old dude put it into the basket a few times.
Good contributions from Zunic and Hayes-Brown also pleasing.

Blown opportunity for Cairns against a way understrength Cats lineup. Looked dangerous for a half but things went downhill for them in a hurry in the 3rd.

Reply #878224 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Unfortunately Machado is now done.

Reply #878228 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Says a motza that 4 hours after the game starts Manu is the first to post anything about it.

He was probably 'busy' with his Bullets Train poster feat. Lamar.

To Cairns' shame the League isn't interested; if you’re an Orange fan there is no upside to reminding anyone.
Underdog status isn’t valuable unless there is a legit chance the positions can be reversed.

The league promoted this game several times, spoke / wrote about it several times, what else do you want LK to do, stand at the door to sell raffle tickets?

This isn't about the Orange colour, Cairns do get props from the league, COY (Kelly), All NBL team selections (Macahdo and Oliver).

If Cairns is forgettable its because they are trash.

They started last season with the coach of the year and the best import duo, and managed to achieve the woodlen spoon (again).

They were even given their Bunnings home because they refused to be flexible with where they played (thei usual trash home was facing refurb delays).

The nonsense started with the farce release of Oliver, but probably a lot earlier.

The guy went to the NBA, where would you rather play? The Toyota Centre or some old Bunnings warehouse then even Bunnings didn't want?

Reply #878229 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Machado doesn't have much pop about himself any more. He may well be done. Well, that's the thing... He and Oliver are cut from the same cloth - they're volatile emotionally on court. When it's going bad they check out and it goes super bad, but when it's good then they're riding high and it's super good. No in-between. That's actually what happened at the Taipans the last 3 years; they couldn't get consistent mentally and emotionally. Down in the dumps brought about wooden spoon, they were garbage to start the next season and Oliver had big problems with temper and checking out of games. He got better, we started winning, we gained confidence and couldn't be stopped. But then we lost the only steadying force when the league went back to 2 imports and went off the rails again. To suggest Oliver was up there with the league's very best imports is the kind of statement made by someone who only looked at box scores and highlight reels.

Machado is on like at least a quarter of the team's overall salary. Flick him next year and get in another import point guard, try for a Next Star, get Baynesy over to start at centre, leaving enough import spots to plug our gaping holes. Right now we're showing our gaping holes and Bryce Cotton is exploiting our gaping holes.

Point is, we're f****d.

Reply #878232 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Cairns were always going be hurt last season by dropping the third import
But more specifically losing Newbill was a big hit for them

And yes Machado could be an issue. Cairns has always done quite well scouting cheaper imports looking to make their mark in a one season deal.
So whilst sure, it was great to see Machado re-sign, you have to wonder how much that cost them.

But I also think you have to accept the reality, that Cairns will (on average) struggle, and making the play-offs will be the joyful exception, rather than the rule.

Reply #878326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Machado still getting the alleged extra?

Reply #878329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is there any news of injury replacement coming

Reply #878331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Favourite saying I've heard 'imports are like iPads, you try and get too much out of them and they end up being counterproductive’

Reply #878334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you over pay your imports you get a lot less money for your locals, I know Noi is nba talent and Djeric is a super shooter but they don't win you games, ::)). Don’t get me started on Kenny, you don’t win with these type players no matter what the media, commentary say.
Forde is on a hiding to nothing just like Kelly before him.

Reply #878340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forde for four years!

Reply #878353 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Four more years! Four more years!

Reply #878363 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Why four years?

He is on a two year contract.

I know Noi is nba talent

Can you please offer some context around why you think he is an NBA talent?

So true. His loser team definitely did not win back to back 2016 - 17.

Reply #878364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think he’s nba talent, I’m repeating Heal, Homicide and the BS they carry on, add Santa to that, it was tongue in cheek, I think he’s barely nbl talent.

Reply #878369 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Oliver Hayes-Brown was absolutely outstanding, he seemed to bring energy every time he hit the floor and was doing something and looked so much better than ALL the Taipans excluding Tahjere and Noi looked good in the first half so how in the world are Cairns not signing a DP such as OH-B especially after ridding themselves of Krslovic of whom he could have taken his roster spot.

Now as excited I am by the debut of Hayes-Brown that certainly isn't guaranteeing consistency but you have to imagine that he'd be a better fit than Pinder and yeah Zimmerman looks like an awful import choice right now (I know it's early but watching a player live you pick up more than you do on tv).

Cairns only have themselves to blame, who here on this forum would take Jarrod Kenny over Tad Duffelmeir Jr (sp?). Their budget players that they should be selling the opportunity to get minutes (like they did with Majok Deng) are the wrong players evidently and I'm going to cheer Cairns on this season but it will be a hard watch for sure

Reply #878400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ #878400

Agree wholeheartedly. Machado is just absolutely cooked and looked completely uninterested.

Signed Kenny over Tad so he could give us a monster 0 points in 16 minutes. Going to be a long season.

Reply #878423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ummmm...have you seen Tad's stats so far???

Reply #878429 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Come on now way Cairns chose Kenny over Tad lol Tad had plenty of options, Kenny doesn't. Cairns didn't even re-sign Kenny until late in the off-season until after exploring all their other options.

Reply #878435 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:44 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754