Manu Fieldel
Years ago

Jackjumpers @ Taipans, 11 Dec

Yeah, another Taipans game thread created well after the game starts.

McCall is definitely all-NBL.

Also, before Machado played a single regular season game he had a plantar fascia problem, and I've been fearing over the last couple of years that it'd be an issue. Not that I know what foot it was a couple years back, but maybe this is it happening now?

Topic #49534 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has anyone scored in the second quarter yet? What a stink fest!

Reply #878709 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Try to not be negative. Try to be insightful?

Reply #878710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns really struggling without Machado. McCalls good but he's not a pg which he’s being forced to play with Machado out.

In other news Pinder remains absolutely terrible.

Reply #878711 | Report this post

George  
Years ago

@Manu. It's a good call to be positive but seriously 13-6 in the 2nd 1/4 when the defense is pretty poor both ends of the court isn’t what’s expected from a professional sportsman.

Reply #878712 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

13-6 quarter. Absolute blockbuster this

Reply #878713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pinder gonna Pinder.

Reply #878714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pinder offers nothing, why forde never chased vadonavic a kings benchie is unbelievable, Noi still can't play any sort of D, Kenny is a bust seasons ago.

Both sides are horrible and hopefully their budgets are minimal, otherwise it fraud that some of these guys get contracts ahead of some nbl1 guys who are better.

Reply #878715 | Report this post

KWhite_Rulz  
Years ago

Epic game so far from 9 vs 10

Reply #878716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns or Jackjumpers should of signed Kai Sotto as a next star. They both really lack offense and star power.

Reply #878717 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

12, K. Noi, 3pt jump shot missed P2 08:29
33, S. Zimmerman, Turnover - travel P2 08:14
22, T. Mccall, Turnover - bad pass P2 07:52
12, K. Noi, Free throw 1 of 2 made P2 07:20
22, T. Mccall, 3pt jump shot missed P2 06:45
Jump ball - held ball P2 06:39
13, M. Deng, Turnover - travel P2 06:38
22, T. Mccall, 3pt jump shot missed P2 06:10
22, T. Mccall, Turnover - bad pass P2 05:42
6, J. Kenny, Turnover - bad pass P2 05:03
22, T. Mccall, Turnover - bad pass P2 04:32
13, M. Deng, 3pt jump shot missed P2 04:13
12, K. Noi, 2pt lay up missed P2 03:45
15, N. Jawai, Offensive foul P2 03:03
15, N. Jawai, 2pt turn around jump shot made P2 02:37
6, J. Kenny, Turnover - bad pass P2 02:19
Timeout - full P2 02:00
Turnover - 8 seconds P2 01:54
22, T. Mccall, 2pt lay up missed P2 01:15
15, N. Jawai, Turnover - bad pass P2 00:40
22, T. Mccall, Turnover - bad pass P2 00:06

9 turnovers
4 missed 3s
2 missed lay ups
1 made jump shot
1 made free throw
8.5 mins of basketball

Reply #878718 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Yeah good call George. I'm just too used to the usual 'internet troll' type snide stuff on this forum. It has been garbage for sure.

U wouldn't be surprised if Machado is out 4-6 weeks

Reply #878719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McCall is legit. Really hope Machado isn't out for long Cairns are a sleeper.

Reply #878721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let me rephrase that. They're a sleeper/not push overs as long as Pinder doesn’t see game time.

Reply #878723 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Pinder and Kenny can get in the bin, unfortunately

Reply #878724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well, Cairns are a sleeper alright. As in sending everyone to sleep.

Reply #878725 | Report this post

KWhite_Rulz  
Years ago

Anything Cairns can do, the JJ will match!

Reply #878727 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

And now Tassie followed it up with a 6 point quarter of their own (including a tech foul free throw)
Champagne basketball this

Cairns had a good quarter though. Almost hit 20.

Reply #878728 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Just my opinion; but the standard of the league is way off this year. Not just this game but in general the collective skill level is way down.

Reply #878729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really messy from both teams so far, they need to be better, I understand they don't have the $$$ or history to be as deep as other teams. But needs to be much better than thjs

Reply #878730 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I've actually remarked the opposite, Macdub. This league is getting better and better. Refs are allowing defences to hold and wrap a bit more. Loving the balance between offence and defence this season

Reply #878731 | Report this post

KWhite_Rulz  
Years ago

Yep agree the other games have generally had a good standard

Reply #878732 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Don't think you can judge the league as a whole on this game. Cairns clearly the worst team in the league and Tassie a completely new team with big growing pains
51-43 with 7:30 left is a pretty bad look, though. I'd be surprised if these 2 teams win more than like 10 games between them against the other 8 teams for the season tbh

Reply #878733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If McCall doesn't get player of the game the police in North Queensland need to investigate a robbery. Lad has been in everything

Reply #878734 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Is this the lowest points total in NBL history? So many straight-forward shots missed, turnovers, frustrations ...

Reply #878735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@MADCUB
Agreed

Poor quality.

Shuffled start dates and border closures definitely have had an impact. It is what it is though.

Reply #878736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the go with the Tassie Next Star? Looking dejected on the bench is an understatement. He must be terrible if he can't get any burn with the Jacks.

Reply #878737 | Report this post

Just a fan  
Years ago

Ugly game 2 teams scoring 6 in a quarter is something else. Pinder still looking the same.

Reply #878738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Early days for Roth but based on what we've seen so far IMO the lazy option of appointing Gleeson AC's to HC positions and expecting success has failed. Clubs need to do better.

Reply #878739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a local Tassie person I am embarrassed. I backed the JJ's with the hope that they could beat the potential bottom of the ladder Taipans. How wrong was I. Taipans with no Machado got the W and it's time (already) for someone to review the hapless JJ's
Perth next then the Kings. When will the JJ's get their next win? Will they get another W? Pathetic. The NS (not a Star) Mikhailovskii is on the road for what reason? FF points to use on the way home? FFS in the 3rd Q Roth did not start with any imports on the floor. What's up with that? The spuds are indeed that spuds.
Magnay clearly injured. There is no other reason surely for a 15min 4 point and 2 reb game.
The shine has gone from Adams, McDaniel with ZERO points and only 2 players in double figures. Both teams scoring 6 points in a quarter but Cairns had the no Machado excuse, The Jack Jumpers have no excuses for such a pathetic effort. They lost to Perth by 30 in the pre season. What will they lose by next week?

Reply #878740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmania had a chance to get some good players, took McVeigh, Krislovic, Weeks, etc , probably overpaid at that. Cairns on the other hand also got some spuds but a few reasonable players around them. There is effort but talent is lacking so you get games like this.
Well done to McCall, quality performance.

Reply #878741 | Report this post

Green Ant  
Years ago

Well done taipans, simply wanted it more down the stretch and played to their strengths.

Once again, JJ's inability to have a plan B once the three's aren't dropping is glaring.

Would of liked them to try work it through McIntosh (rather than sit on the bench), Magnay and even McVeigh in the post and get something happening on offence.

Reply #878742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tassie need to tear up one of those long term bench contracts and bring in Mathiang or maker ASAP

Reply #878744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tassie could also bring in srp.
Get Kouame, the pinoy centre.

Reply #878745 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Tassie is a side that'd be screaming out for a young gun to take 12+ shots a night off the bench. Mikhailovskii was meant to be it

Reply #878746 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Just my opinion; but the standard of the league is way off this year. Not just this game but in general the collective skill level is way down.

For me as a viewer I feel it's hard to come back down to the NBL level after the high of watching the Olympics where your country won their first medal.

Reply #878748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So many people fail to understand how player reruitment works. JJ's offered many players contracts, players that chose to go elsewhere. That's how sport works. Just saying they chose the wrong players or go get Mathiang or Maker is moronic.

Reply #878749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JJ's have money, they’re owned by Larry. Both teams passed on Tad D Jnr, that’s the part that baffles me

Reply #878753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They were low balling players, trying to sell the coach as nba coach. Anyone that had any connections with Stewart was just given no chance. Will get enough home court decisions to avoid the spoon though and will called great success. With the length of these players contracts they better suck it up for a few seasons. How the third assistant coach bloke gets a gig is beyond me.

Reply #878754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Opposition coaches smile when Kenyon comes on. One less player to guard.

Reply #878758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No proof the JJs passed on Tad D jn, he chose the sixers. The nonsense about them and Stewart is pathetic.

Reply #878764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How the 1st and 2nd assistant is beyond me. Both yes men. It's clear that all that Roth wants. The whole organisation is yes people Larry's boy in Brookhouse. Chivers applied for the COO's job and got GM's job. Finnegan the same, got the marketing job job. So many employees now in the front office. FFS it's not the mainland where all the boxes are sold and in fact far from the opposite in Hobart.
Larry's money simply being wasted on too many staff and no more so than this 'team' they all sing from the same song book.
Watch Roth's press conference in Cairns. I did. High praise for Forde and his team. They just lost to them and he (Roth) is talking about Cairns in glowing terms! a LONG season ahead.

Reply #878767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"No proof the JJs passed on Tad D jn, he chose the sixers."
The only proof is that those that know Tad know this to be true. Tad chose the Sixers because he was deliberately overlooked by Roth. Purchase, Tad and Sapwell are all now playing in the NBL for other teams than the JJ's. He made Weeks look old and slow the other night. Weeks was washed up in NZ and was terminated before the season's end and for some inane reason the Jack Jumpers hire him. #StupidRoth

Reply #878771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One assistant didn't have any kind words about chargers, thunder and any player with Tasmanian links. Apart from one who chose college and fantastic decisions by him to break the coaching cycle he was in.

Reply #878773 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Could beating Bris in 1st game have hurt Tassie? A tougher start may have been more beneficial.

Reply #878777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Either provide quotes or its all BS.

Reply #878780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its true and like most sensible people we know its occurred. Enjoy the very very long sesson ahead. Roth already upsetting the locals in a big way. Lets see if quotes come out about that issue ;)

Reply #878781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes those that know how it all went down, Brookhouse was just a yes man, Roth pulled the strings, Kay, Norton, Moller, Dufelmeir all got low balled, talked crap to, JJs thought because new franchise all would want in, they got McVeigh, McDaniel, who have done ok, but Weeks, Kenyon, Krislovic, Bairstow, Perry, as Gaze would say oh my. Long way to go but imports are not carrying this team and they are not looking that great yet.

Reply #878785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any word on machado?
If cairns are without him for a while it's going to get even uglier.

Reply #878788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought they did quite well when machado got hurt, might be a chance to bring in a younger version.

Reply #878791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reading and Hearing Roth saying they need to be better on offence to get more wins.
Cairns had 25 FEWER shots and a lower % than the JJ's did. Cairns had 2 more T/o's than the JJ's. JJ's only scored 2 FB points. Out rebounded by 5, Magnay had 4 points and 2 rb. McDaniel had ZERO points. 25 fouls, 6 more than the Snakes. McVeigh and Adams both fouled out and Magnay had 4 fouls all in 18, 25 and 15 minutes. That's very bad. 2 players only in double points and every players +/- in negative territory.

Roth is making up shit to cover the inadequacies of his player selections. Perhaps if Magette (one of their better players) didn't keep on talking crap LONG 3 pointers they might have a better chance of scoring more points. Perhaps taking smarter shots would also help. McDaniel isn't a star and I am sure is being paid as one. Hell he just won a championship :) McVeigh fouling out in such a short time. McIntosh failing to contribute again. The Russian dude not suiting up again. It's time already that this new franchise is called into account, otherwise next season no one will be going to the MSBA. The gloss is well and truly over and off.

Reply #879438 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

It's JJs first year... extremely tough to sign a good roster when most clubs have players locked away.

Just winning a few games and being competitive is a pass mark for year 1.

Reply #879442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can sign good imports and a NS that can actually play. Too many people are accepting the 1st year excuse. It was always going to happen based on signing a team full of under performing players from other teams. There is no excuse for getting the import election wrong. They have plenty of Larry's money to get who they wanted. More importantly as said many times already many of the under performing players are now signed to long term contracts. There is no excise for that either.

Reply #879443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just winning a few games and being competitive is a pass mark for year 1.

You would think so KET. Except when Roth was asked if there was anything he could take/learn from SEM's 1st year. His answer was something like, I’m not interested in learning anything from a franchise that lost 11 games straight. (As most would recall, the vast majority of these losses were by less than 6 points, SEM competed in most games).

Might be a little harder to be a new franchise than he thought? Wonder if he’s still feeling this arrogant?

Reply #879444 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

What do you expect him to say "Welp, we tried really hard, oh well, onto the next one!". I doubt the expectations behind the scenes match those in front of the mic - they want fan engagement and bums in seats. It's a strong, top-heavy league, it's going to take some time.

Reply #879450 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

@788

Scott Machado out for 4 - 6 weeks.

Reply #879454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, Roth has locked them into a path of pain for the next few years. There was no reason to sign long term contracts to the group he has. Most were looking for more minutes from what they were getting from their current club. They would've moved for that on a one year deal. Signed a bunch of plodders.

Reply #879458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#443 exactly.

They had conversations with good players and low balled them, offered average players two season contracts. Any club that signs Weeks , McVeigh as a four man are asking for trouble.

Roth was chest beating, ex nba coach, phoenix looked fantastic compared to this team. Who is there Creek, they could have had Kay but would not pay the money, season not over but this team that was supposed represent Tasmania, they had some good locals that should have at least got dp look ins but none good enough, as previously noted by someone above, anyone who had anything to do Stewart got no look in.

Good luck but not the start Tasmania deserved.

Reply #879460 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Scott Machado out for 4 - 6 weeks.

Thankfully Cairns are in a unique situation where this won't impact their ladder position.

Reply #879472 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

LoveBroker

Truth.

Manuel, please take note of this positivity.

Reply #879477 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

LV, Ouch! But v well said.

Reply #879478 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Sorry. LoveBroker, above.

Reply #879480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"You would think so KET. Except when Roth was asked if there was anything he could take/learn from SEM's 1st year. His answer was something like, I'm not interested in learning anything from a franchise that lost 11 games straight. (As most would recall, the vast majority of these losses were by less than 6 points, SEM competed in most games).
Might be a little harder to be a new franchise than he thought? Wonder if he’s still feeling this arrogant?"

Spot on and now I am hearing the frustration bubbling over to abuse of a volunteer at their last home game. Very poor form Roth.

Reply #879483 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Hahaha ain't that the truth Lovebroker. And it'll also give big opportunity for exposure and growth to our young up-and-coming on-ball guards which the club can rely on for years and years to come. You know, fresh names like... Jarrod Kenny and ahh Tahjere McCall who is an import... and ahhhh.... yeah

Reply #879484 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I like McCall, I look forward to seeing what he can do as the main ball carrier.

Shouldn't Cairns be looking for an injury replacement for Machado?

Reply #879488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do cairns have enough money for a replacement?

Reply #879494 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

You can't not like McCall. It's just a shame that Machado's injury isn't giving a chance to a young bloke who could be a Taipan for many years to come. The reason is that there simply aren't any young blokes of such description on our roster. Doofy was the closest we had, and of course he's gone.

Reply #879580 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Agree 100% Manu. McCall looks like quality and it will be interesting to see how the Taipans look with him doing what he did when Machado left the game injured for a full 40 mins.

Cairns may not be able to compete with some of the $$$ being thrown around, but you'd think opportunity should count for something re: attracting and keeping young talent. (Having said that, I'd probably have thought with my wallet too when I was 19-22 years old...)

Reply #879582 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:06 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754