Anonymous
Years ago

Santa on ovrtime: There will be a import replacement by xmas

Wonder who it could be? NZ Breakers owner Matt Walsh today did tweet some exciting news for the Breakers will be announced tomorrow. He later tweeted it has something to do with the NBA

Topic #49551 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's a lot of rumours in NZ that the Breakers are about to release Siva and replace with an even bigger name.

Reply #879263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth playing with 2 imports?

Reply #879264 | Report this post

Johndoe  
Years ago

Thon Maker to Breakers? Was released from his contract in Israel a few days ago.

Reply #879265 | Report this post

Bullets  
Years ago

For such a big name, Siva has been underwhelming.
Now he's injured 6 weeks, he’s surely gone.

Agada had a decent game on the weekend but he can’t create his own shot nor finish around the rim. If MU want to be competitive, he has to go.

Reply #879266 | Report this post

NBL FAN  
Years ago

wont be Thon

Reply #879267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nz will get nba level pg

Perth, cairns, tassie might be looking at local bigs

Reply #879268 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Years ago

Can't see the Breakers signing Thon for Siva. They need a point guard/playmaker.

Tassie, Perth, Cairns and Melbourne need to look at any local bigs. Agada was alright but his shot was inconsistent. United just need another import or local who can help out JLA. Cut Dalton or put Dalton as an emergency player who trains unless another team needs replacement player.

Reply #879270 | Report this post

NBL FAN  
Years ago

united ain't going to cut anyone locally

Reply #879273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Won't cut Dalton?

Reply #879276 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Local players and imports that have played in the NBL before have fully guaranteed contracts. If they're to be released their contracts need to be fully paid out. They can remove them from the playing roster sure but still have to keep paying them for the length of their contracts.

First year imports are on non-guaranteed contracts that only become guaranteed at the 25% mark of the season. It's why first year imports regularly get cut early in the season because they don't need to be paid out for the rest of the season.

If it's true Siva is out for six weeks he's as good as gone. No way the Breakers at 0-3 already would be prepared to wait for him to get back when he was struggling anyway.

FWIW I never bought the Breakers/NBL's hype on Siva just because he came from the EuroLeague so did Colton Iverson and look how he turned out.

Reply #879277 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Are we operating in some hypothetical reality where Colton Iverson wasn't a good player?

Reply #879278 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Oh yeah he was fantastic , averaged less than 9ppg lol

Reply #879279 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Siva is legit though but sadly injured. Baffling comment to say he is just hype.

Reply #879286 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I never said Siva was just hype, try reading next time. I said I never bought all the hype. The NBL hyped up Iverson too who turned out to be a bust and the NZB (Walsh) always hype up their imports.

Reply #879288 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Oh yeah he was fantastic , averaged less than 9ppg lol
There's more to basketball than just scoring.

Reply #879289 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Colton had some crazy games from memory, just couldn't stay out of foul trouble

Reply #879290 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Iverson did have a couple of very big games which inflated his season averages of 8.8ppg and 8.6rpg. He was worse than that. He was virtually unplayable at times due to how slow, foul prone and offensively limited he was.

Given he came from the EuroLeague I shudder to think what kind of money NZB paid him last season. He likely would've been one of the highest paid imports in the league.

Reply #879292 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

NBL do hype a lot of guys up but in Siva's case for once it was justified.

Reply #879293 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Iverson got the Websters a ton of points with his ball screens last season. Not everything is on the stats sheet.

Reply #879294 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Chasson Randle, 119 NBA appearances with 76ers, Knicks, Warriors & Magic.
Signed as an injury replacement.

Reply #879296 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Colton Iverson wasn't fit when he arrived and once he was he was effective.
He was signed to play pick & roll with Patterson and when Patterson didn’t work out they found WMW who can also play that style.

Reply #879297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Iverson wasn't a bust. The guy could play. But there were a number of factors that lessened his effectiveness: wasn’t match fit having not played for almost a year, was signed to play with Lamar who shouldn’t have turned up at all, had personal issues with his family and newborn, had to play way more minutes than he should have with Loe leaving the team, and more. Is the Breakers doco available in Australia yet? That team had serious issues across the board and Iverson had his fair share too.

Reply #879298 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I left out the Washington Wizards for Chasson Randle.
The 6'2" Point Guard played 41 games for Orlando in the 20/21 season.

Looks to be a pretty good replacement for Siva at such short notice.
NZ are reporting that Siva may be out longer than the initially reported 4-6 weeks.

Reply #879300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even though he was playing with niggles, there were moments in preseason Siva showed his class. Even the play he injured his hamstring, he was impressive the way he shook his defender. As Randle is an injury replacement, I guess Siva is sticking around (for now)?

As for Randle, he looks like an upgrade on Siva. 20 mpg in 40 games for Orlando last season. It sounds like he could play this weekend against Melbourne. Is he already in Australia?

Reply #879301 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I think they're getting him on a plane asap.
Abercrombie & Martin are back on court this weekend which will be a massive help.

Reply #879303 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Factoring in age (over the hill or not), ability, name (reputation) he is actually the most legit ex-NBA player our league has ever seen, apart from Josh Childress. Well, in the last 20 years or so

Reply #879305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder what the play is here, surely you wouldn't send a man of this capability home after the injury and on top of that if they do I'm sure Melbourne or Perth would be interested.

Reply #879309 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Yeah pretty awesome last minute injury signing.
He was only waived by the Suns on the 16th of October.
Earliest he is thought to be available with border requirements is this weekend against Melbourne otherwise he'll play against Tasmania on the 26th.

Reply #879311 | Report this post

Perf are gone  
Years ago

Cotton is next to be replaced. Dud game on Sunday with poor shooting.

Reply #879313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I imagine the Breakers will keep Siva sticking around (for now and re-evaluate in 6-8 weeks). There's no guarantee that Martin or Randle or WMW don't get injured later. They're also very big on Siva's leadership and off court mentoring so I imagine they'll utilise him to help the development of WMW and Besson.

Reply #879316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JJ's - McIntosh

Reply #879317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

316 WMW is a local player so cannot be replaced by an import for injury recover. If Randle does prove to be a game changer it's likely Martin or Siva headed home.

Very hard to predict who would be headed home, I think Zimmerman is also struggling a bit but it's only been 3 season games for most teams I think it would have to be off court issues to be sent home this early.

Interesting that with quite a few imports injured that we arent seeing the most prolific IRP Jeremy Kendle suiting up for a new team each week.

Reply #879319 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Seen too many "fringe" NBA guys show up and underwhelm for any number of reasons to get excited by an import's NBA creds these days before they hit the court, but Randle looks like a very solid signing at this point of the season regardless. Looking forward to seeing him play.

Reply #879321 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

AngusH, I agree about a lot of hyped guys being underwhelming. Coming from the NBA to the NBL is a big culture change, and a lot can't handle it emotionally.

Just thinking quickly about only the game side of things:
different refereeing rules and standards,
different style of game,
more of a team-based approach,
tougher and more physical defence, including targeting of stars,
having to play at both ends of the floor,
having to learn different defences and offenses,
more use of zones and hybrid defences,
being in the spotlight as a superstar so more pressure to perform,
different coaching style and standard,
weaker and less predictable teammates,

You’d have to be very tough - but flexible - mentally to overcome all that shit and eventually do well over here.

Reply #879322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Siva was a very good euro league player a few seasons back, last season he was coming off the bench, I thought he would be great but possibly age, injuries have court up.
Iverson wants great last season as well, not every one scores points to be effective, Thyabulle being a classic example.

Reply #879323 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Siva had a calf injury he was nursing in pre-season and then hurt his hamstring.
We have yet to see the best of him.

With a high caliber replacement coming in Siva doesn't have to rush back and like anon #316 said, he can help with WMW and Hugo Besson's development.

Reply #879325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AngusH and Hoopie make fair comments. But I think the biggest issue for imports now is that the standard of the league is much, much higher than it was 10 years ago. It's now de rigueur for imports to have been drafted and played some minutes in the NBA at some point. To be an import that can be a stud, you basically have to be a fringe NBA player who could contribute in the right situation but has been excluded because of 1 critical failing (say height) or just not had the right luck at the right time. And then, you need to still come in the right shape (Patterson) and right mindset (perhaps ready to play a role rather than be the go-to guy regardless of what you may have done or been in the past). It's an exciting time though for the NBL as there are clearly some top shelf imports who may be taking less $ but know that the exposure and credibility of the NBL can help them get back to the NBA. I would not be surprised to see Martin, Randle, Adams, Jessup, and others play NBA minutes in the future.

Reply #879328 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Its interesting that NZB are bringing Randle in as a temp replacement and not fully releasing Siva.

Reply #879386 | Report this post

woody  
Years ago

Guys we had Santa as a guest on our programme this week. Please do check it out. Much Love Woods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=araXyq07ICo&t=4037s

Reply #879389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man I just watched this guy play and Manu's right, he’s the real deal. Randle, Martin, Besson / WMW, Delany, Wetzell is a 5 that’s going to be fun to watch regardless of whether you’re a Breakers fan or not.

Reply #879412 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Its interesting that NZB are bringing Randle in as a temp replacement and not fully releasing Siva.

That's because as an NBL club you don't let go of somebody with Siva's pedigree even if he is injured.

Reply #879422 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Iverson was great last season, if I remember correctly then his ankle injury was so bad that his foot was too swollen to remove his shoe and he still had 18 rebounds.

He was a big fella that could be trusted and whilst yes he took time to get used to the speed and officiating, if Cotton got his citizenship Tomorrow and I was told that Iverson was coming in then I'd be delighted as he would set epic screens for our shooters

Reply #879441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Given that Randle for Siva isn't really a replacement (yet), could there be another import about to get the boot?

Reply #879445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i can see the jackjumpers releasing the Canadian player

Reply #879447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's good.l

Reply #879448 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Without knowing what goes on at training, hard to feel that Mcintosh has had a fair shake yet. Showed a couple of brief glimpses, but feels like he should be getting minutes ahead of a couple of other guys on the rotation.

Reply #879459 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

I was very disappointed to open this thread, and not find any scoops on what Santa was brining on Christmas Eve.

Reply #879461 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

If Cotton got his citizenship Tomorrow and I was told that Iverson was coming in then I'd be delighted as he would set epic screens for our shooters

Some truth there. Wildcats have won it with decent but not overly impactful Centres that know how to set screens. They don't even need shotblockers it seems and still have a decent defensive efficiency.

However that was under the Gleeson system. I have noticed that Cotton hasn't been moving off ball as much. Is it because of Law? I don't know.

Reply #879471 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It's because Morrison isn't as focused on doing too much off the ball, he prefers to just let guys make reads out of on-balls. They do have a few things to get Cotton open coming off screens, but it's not the focus of the offense.

Reply #879474 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Yup I won't pretend to know what Morrison is running nor do I understand Flex.

I've just noticed that it looks like less movement going on, more so towards the end of the Brisbane game, it was one hand off by Majok then stand back and let Law or Cotton do their thing.

Reply #879479 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Flex is really not complicated at all, at least in terms of the base set. Obviously the Wildcats were running a bunch of different counters out of it as well, but the general setup is pretty simple.

Reply #879485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So where do you coach KR?

Reply #879486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flex is an easy offence, just like the Shuffle. But it takes years to become good to coach it because you need to know all the reads as the base offence is to scout. It was part of Gleeson's success that he had core continuity, as did Gaze with the shuffle, because the players get good at making the reads and start to get easier looks. I agree that Iverson would be a force in Gleeson’s flex, but not sure if he would be as successful in whatever Morrison is running.

Reply #879501 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yeah, I'm speaking more in terms of LoveBroker understanding it than the complexity of the reads and options that Perth were running out of it.

Morrison's system would likely suit Iverson be better than Gleeson's, given it's all just pick and roll which is where he excelled with the Breakers.

Reply #879506 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:22 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754