Mystro
Years ago

Breakers Vs Hawks 17/12

The 0-3 NZ Breakers take on the 2-0 Illawarra Hawks after choking against the Adelaide 36ers last Sunday.

Good news for NZ is they have Captain Tom Abercrombie & Import Guard Jeremiah Martin both back from injury for this game after leaning heavily on WMW, Besson, Delaney & Wetzell the last couple of games.

Illawarra have been looking the goods with Duop Reath & their Import trio, Harvey, Cleveland and Rathan-Mayes all contributing well in their two wins to date.

NZ desperately need a win but not sure it will be in this one with how the Hawks have been playing.

Topic #49556 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers decline to continue, hawks are not letting this go. Reath v Wetzel could be be a good match up.

Reply #879574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I really want the Breakers to win after Sundays result. But the hawks are just fantastic and I expect them to get the W.

Reply #879576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks are the favourites. But I wouldn't be surprised if the Breakers pulled off an upset. I thought the Breakers played really well last week despite a very short rotation.

Reply #879578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reath v Wetzel should be good, hawks will be to good.

Reply #879581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great feature on Besson: https://youtu.be/d8akSFNHKs8

Lost 7 KG with COVID and according to Breakers social media it's the first week he’s actually trained healthily. It will be a good challenge for him to go up against some quality defenders and Goorjian’s system, and if he scores well again tonight I can see him going for 40+ on a poor team like Cairns or the JJs.

Reply #879583 | Report this post

George  
Years ago

@Mystro.
Are you this seasons Jack Toft?
Are you the new previewer of matches for this season?
If you are I look forward to them.
I always enjoyed Jacks previews last season of all games.

Reply #879624 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I feel sorry for Hawks players and coaches. You're the best in the league with all the hype and all the big names, but opening night has the seats filled at, what, half capacity.

Wollongong is officially letting the Hawks down.

Reply #879627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Giannis Wetzell

Reply #879628 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

George, I just enjoy the the chat and with Jack MIA someone has to get something started.

Breakers up 41-39 at halftime.
Be nice to steal a W but expecting the Hawks to ramp up the intensity after the break.

Reply #879630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're right, Manu. Illawarra has one of the best rosters, with a great coach, and a fun to watch style and... no one turns up.

Breakers look really impressive. The only time they didn't play well was when they had to rest WMW and Martin was playing the 1. I really like Martin but he's not a PG. When the Breakers are moving the ball with multiple pick and roll action on both sides of the floor, it's really hard to defend. They just need to maintain that ball movement and their individual defensive intensity - as a team their defence, especially in transition, isn't great but as individuals they've got some serious length and athleticism.

Reply #879631 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Both teams just trading buckets, Hawks with back to back 3's to go up by 3 with 4:12 left in the 3rd quarter.

Reply #879635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Foul every day, smacked him across the the ear.

Reply #879636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Besson never seen a shot he doesn't like, enjoying the game.

Reply #879637 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Yeah Besson definitely likes putting the ball in the bucket. Good looking shot and a fair few tricks up his sleeve.

Pretty back & forth quarter, NZ up by three heading into the 4th

Reply #879638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks are lucky that the Breakers haven't shot that well from 3. If Besson keeps putting them up, he's going to get hot eventually.

Reply #879639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It hurts me to say it because I know he's so young, but Dieng looks to be struggling at this level.

Reply #879643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man, Ousemane Dieng really needs to learn how to shoot. He gets great looks but can't knock them down consistently.

Reply #879644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It hurts me to say it because I know he's so young, but Dieng looks to be struggling at this level."

Agreed. He just looks a step to slow on everything.

Reply #879645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers can't buy a 3. Had they shot reasonably, this is a blow out.

Reply #879646 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Jeremiah Martin has come alive at the right time.
Breakers missing some wide open 3's they would normally make but still right in it.

Reply #879647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a game! I'm beginning to see why WMW had so much hype. When he’s shooting the 3 ball so we’ll off the dribble he is impossible to guard and creates so much for his team.

Reply #879649 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Awesome game even with the poor outside shooting.
Wetzell puts NZ out in front by 1 with 34.2 left

Reply #879650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hooley is a terrible commentator, so many horrendous takes. Homicide is carrying the booth.

Reply #879651 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Reply #879652 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Quality game and now we get OT.

Reply #879653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow. OT. I feel like the Breakers are playing better as a team but Harvey has ridiculous shot selection that just goes in. Breakers are a top 4 team once Randle comes in.

Reply #879654 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Overtime!!
WMW is a smart man, didn't settle for the 3 and took Reath off the dribble and dunked it to tie the game and then the foul to force the Hawks into a tough shot.

Reply #879655 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

"Hooley is a terrible commentator, so many horrendous takes. Homicide is carrying the booth."

I dont know about Hooley but Homicide is not carrying anything of value, yet alone the booth.

Reply #879657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a hesi by WMW

Reply #879658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems like the NBL disagrees with you and continues to hire Corey Williams as the lead commentator. If the racists on here had there way it would be an all white boys club.

Reply #879659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Double OT!!!

Reply #879661 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Corey Williams is not the lead commentator. He is just there to interject with deluded takes that supposedly sound cool.

Reply #879662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martin had a great one on Reath too. It looks like that's what you gotta do with Reath force the switch onto a creative guard and isolate him on an island.

Breakers look tired though.

Reply #879663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heart definitely going, come on breakers bring it home lads!

Reply #879664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fantastic game. NZL too good to start 0-4.

Reply #879665 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I have no problems with Williams as a player or as a person; it's the s**t which comes out of his mouth that annoys me. Same with Hooley and Brian Taylor.

Does that make me racist?

Reply #879666 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

What a game. Agree this Breakers side is far better than their record.

Reply #879667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow. It's like the NBL’s season highlights package in one game. Big plays for several different players at different times.

Reply #879669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unbelievable! Besson slips, but not on a decal! Great game.

Reply #879670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Absolutely gutted as a breakers fan. As a basketball fan however what a game, damn this is a good season of nbl so far

Reply #879671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reath, Harvey, Jessie, XRM, Martin, Besson, WMW, AND more all made amazing plays at different times.

Feel bad for the Breakers though. Several players with 40+ minutes and have to backup on Sunday against United.

Reply #879672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nbl players deserve more money, the game is so great at present.

Great game, NZ so unlucky, at 0-4 I'd say going to hard to make finals.

Hawks and gorg just know how to win.

Reply #879673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Besson is going to the lottery. 20 and 8, and he didn't even shoot well tonight. He is already well ahead of what LaMelo and Giddey were able to influence on the game at similar points of the season.

Reply #879674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was Abercrombie on a minutes restriction? Thought Shamir was brave with Bach and Galloway out there, almost paid off though when they took the lead and subbed in Wetzell and WMW fresh.

Reply #879676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Abercrombie has a minor ankle injury he picked up during the 3rd quarter?, they think he may be in doubt against United.

Reply #879677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Abercrombie sat on the sidelines with his 'ankle' injury and received no treatment. NO ice, no nothing.

Reply #879679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damn. That's terrible luck for the Breakers. His defence was kept Harvey slow in the first half and he was playing OK offensively too. Bach was OK in OT but he missed a crucial board that Jessup put in and the rest is history. How much adversity does one team have to face?

Reply #879680 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Hopefully Randle can come in and help get them over the line in close games like this.
They're just as talented as any other team in the league and far better than their record suggests.
Feel sorry for them, the effort was there and they were in the game the whole way through but came up just short

Besson is going to work his way into the lottery.

Yanni Wetzell is a stud.

Another great game to watch even though the result didn’t quite go the way I had hoped but Illawarra are a quality opponent and it was never going to be easy.

Reply #879725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wetzell is a stud but one of the issues the Breakers have is they can't get contributions from Loe and Galloway. They need Loe and Galloway to be able to contribute offensively and defensively so that Wetzell has gas in the tank in the 4th quarter.

Reply #879727 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Galloway is a 4 and gets exposed defensively at the 5.
If Loe can't contribute at least play Timmins .

Reply #879732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dunno mystro, Shamir is quite brutal with who he wants to play. Personally I think its to our detriment because the guys on the bench are often put into the game at crucial times when they have 0 game time.

Worst example being the Ngatai no confidence moment against Perth where he just didn't have the confidence to put the team on his back because he hardly played.

We need to play our bench more, otherwise the starters are cooked in the the clutch at the end.

Reply #879756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wetzell is nba bound imo, no way he stays more than 1-2 years.

Reply #879758 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Mystro. From my observation Galloway would struggle defending any position at present. Not yet big or strong enough for true 5 men and ponderously slow lateral movement for anyone else.

Reply #879762 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:27 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754