Aussie
Years ago

LK to sell a share in NBL?

Matt Logue has an article in the Daily telegraph (behind a paywall) but it says something about Larry Kestelman selling the NBL?

Apologies if I have read it wrong. Can some please post the article?

Topic #49569 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Selling a small share

Reply #880113 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

To who?

Reply #880115 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

He's looking at selling a share of the NBL in the US.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/basketball/the-logue-down-nbl-owner-larry-kestelman-shows-interest-in-private-equity-to-secure-australian-basketballs-future/news-story/a45d780d34b97f492fb1f2cf3b8e7de7?fbclid=IwAR3V--Nfal_mLIo6Z7hb-cAkXyZHrwB4ojYznMw2F6C2e67W1-WF5tj1-TE

On one hand, means more investors in the NBL. But on the other, could mean different decisions are made, maybe internal conflict in the future.

Reply #880117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't know lk

Reply #880119 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

You don't know lk

Meaning?

Reply #880120 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Hopefully the new American owner can bring back 48 mins and get rid of the possession arrow.

Reply #880121 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

To who?

Private equity, similar to what the A-League did.

Reply #880122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is why there has been such a big drive for National NBL1, better product for him to sell

Reply #880123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lovebroker it's never happening loser

Reply #880124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are only 2 leagues in the world (from memory) that play 48 mins. Let that fucker go

Reply #880126 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Years ago

48m games are much better. Is the NBA knocking for a share?

Reply #880127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

VT no 48 mins is not

Reply #880129 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I dont get how 48 minute games are better. I think with the kind of weak benches a lot of NBL teams have you want to keep games nice and concise in time.

Reply #880131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess some prefer quantity over quality. Seems like a slightly higher score means "better" basketball in some peoples' books.

Reply #880132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is the length of games the broken thing here. Do commentators and fans after the game go, gee, wish it went for another 8 minutes.
Get rid of the stupid unsportsmanlike fouls and some deliberate fouls having to be reviewed at end of games. Extremely frustrating.
I'm not a fan of possession arrow, but it's not a huge drama.

Reply #880134 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Years ago

I don't understand the position arrow. I get if you win the jump it works the arrow position. Silly FIBA rule.

Did NBL still have FIBA rules when it was 48m's back in 2009?

I do like to see more jump balls. Only time we have a jump ball is at the start of the game and the coaches challenge if successful.

NBL is getting better each season. Most games have been close. Imagine the Bullets v Hawks game another 8m's. Hawks could of comeback.

I hope the NBA takes ownership in the NBL. Anything to make the NBL a better pathway to the NBA.

Reply #880135 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

"Is why there has been such a big drive for National NBL1, better product for him to sell"

LK is first and foremost a business-man. What ever he owns commercially would be for sale. Whatever he can do to add value, he will.

Great, isn't it? The longer it takes for him to sell (part or all of) the NBL the better. We get a league that is constantly improving while LK is looking for the next team/league-owner.

Reply #880136 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

I am for 48 minutes.

More basketball = win for us as spectators. I also appreciated that it gave players lower on the depth chart a better opportunity, and teams weren't able to hide behind their starting fives as much (seems to largely be the case in NBL1).

Reply #880138 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Do we really want to watch Cairns vs Tasmania, Sydney vs Melbourne or Cairns vs Adelaide for any longer than absolutely necessary?

Reply #880139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank goodness the people actually in charge don't make the rules based on the worst case scenarios
What if the finals aren't an epic matchup? Lets make them a single game instead of a series
What if a game is a poor standard? Lets make them all 10 minutes instead of 40
What if a ref makes a mistake? Lets have a full review from 3 different angles after every decision and every non decision
What if the tv ratings are bad? Lets save embarrassment by not televising the games
What if too many shots miss? Lets use hula hoops for rims

Reply #880140 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

For me it's about attention spans as well. Movies are generally shorter for the most part. I feel like two hours is well and truly long enough for any single game. I know I zone in and out of NBA games at the length they're at. The 40 minute/ 2 hour format fits well into TV as well. Eight more minutes of basketball could either be the greatest thing in the world in some games or the most tedious thing imaginable for others. But one thing it definitely isn't is particularly necessary to the point we should reshape our competition and tv deals to allocate space for it.

Reply #880144 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Thank goodness the people actually in charge don't make the rules based on the worst case scenarios
Cherrypicking examples of good games to advocate for 48 minutes is no more valid than cherrypicking examples of bad games to advocate for 40 minutes.

Reply #880151 | Report this post

Old Coach  
Years ago

The possession arrow was introduced to overcome the problem that a held ball, subsequently jumped, simply resulted in possession to the team of whichever of the players involved in the held ball was taller.

Do the contemporary suggestions for a return to a jump ball allow for any player in the team to take the jump not just the player involved in the held ball?

Reply #880157 | Report this post

Years ago

48 minutes is too long. I took a newbie and our games with 40 can still drag on with stoppages.

Reply #880159 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

The game flows a lot more now that the jump ball has been replaced by the arrow. Would we want to go back to stop-start or keep the flow?

Reply #880161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He bought it for $7 mil, he could sell a small share in it now more than that and maintain control.

Reply #880162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL could become the latest Australian sport to sell a stake of the league to a private equity company. On the back of the A-Leagues' landmark deal with US firm Silver Lake, NBL owner Larry Kestelman has expressed interest in following football’s lead in an attempt to secure Australian basketball’s future. Kestelman is travelling to New York in the New Year to talk to potential investors about expanding the ownership of the NBL. However, there could be challenges as some clubs have privately expressed concern about the private equity model. Kestelman owns the 10-team NBL league, meaning the majority of profit goes to him and not the clubs. This will prompt further discussions between Kestelman and the NBL clubs on the game’s future direction.

Unlike the A-League’s private equity arrangement with Silver Lake, the clubs will reportedly receive funds for marquee player signings. Silver Lake have taken a 33.3 per cent minority stake in the A-Leagues (men and women) worth nearly AUS$140 million (US$100 million). The sum values the entire A-Leagues organisation at AUS$425 million (US$303 million). Kestelman purchased the Australian men’s domestic league for $7 million in 2015, but basketball has since surged, raising the question: how much is the NBL now worth? The league has sold the TV rights for the first time via ESPN, Foxtel, Kayo and 10 Peach, while crowds and viewership numbers have increased. The overall total NBL game views are 43 per cent up on last season after two rounds. Over 650,000 viewers have switched on across Free to Air, subscription TV and streaming to watch Sunday hoops between 1-5pm over the first two rounds. The total attendance is up close to 100 per cent on last season, with both rounds 1 and 2 attracting over 40,000 spectators each.

NBL owner Larry Kestelman will fly to the US for talks with potential investors.

This is the first time since 1994 that more than 40,000 fans attended each of the first two rounds. All these statistics, combined with basketball’s global popularity and the NBL’s respected link to the NBA as a genuine pathway, have sparked Kestelman’s interest in private equity.

The private equity craze has particularly exploded in the United States. In the last 20 months, Arctos Sports Partners has taken stakes in 12 American teams, including Major League Baseball’s Boston Red Sox and the NBA’s Golden State Warriors. Blue Owl Capital’s Dyal Capital has also purchased portions of the NBA’s Phoenix Suns and Sacramento Kings. Until recently, top sports leagues in the US refused to allow private equity ownership of teams, fearing it would create an unwieldy and unstable ownership structure. This has changed and now the craze is catching on globally with the BBL cricket looking at selling off teams, while rugby’s highly successful New Zealand All-Blacks are also interested in private equity.

Reply #880163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They said potentially 70 mill for the nbl.

Reply #880165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So in a jump ball, 100% of the time it goes to the team with the tallest player in the jump. Sure they have an advantage but not always, in the immortal words of Lloyd Christmas, you're saying there's a chance? Yes!
Would much rather a defensive team have a chance to get the ball back for a hustle play. And that crap about disrupting flow, sure it takes an extra 30-60 seconds to get everyone positioned, but there is strategy in stealing the tip sometimes, as well as a real quick hitter. Imagine if the AFL had a possession arrow instead of a ballup. Would that speed up the game?
Bring back the jump ball!

Reply #880171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$70,000,000? That's simply not possible based on current spend of each club, let alone the minimal profits Larry makes. Again, if the majority of clubs don’t make money, that places them in a precarious position - they, unlike other major codes, do not make anything from TV revenue, regardless of how minimal it is. Clubs are overspending to remain competitive and that model is boom or bust - and it’s rarely boom.

Reply #880173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matt logue said about 70

Reply #880174 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"$70,000,000? That's simply not possible based on current spend of each club, let alone the minimal profits Larry makes. Again, if the majority of clubs don't make money, that places them in a precarious position - they, unlike other major codes, do not make anything from TV revenue, regardless of how minimal it is. Clubs are overspending to remain competitive and that model is boom or bust - and it’s rarely boom."

You clearly dont understand how the worth of businesses is evaluated.

Reply #880176 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I think its fair to say the A Leagues are overvalued by what that equity firm paid, so there's every chance LK can get someone to pay too much for a share of the NBL too.

Reply #880185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"That's simply not possible based on current spend of each club, let alone the minimal profits Larry makes."
So you can tell us what Larry makes in profit from the NBL? Please do so.

Reply #880186 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Yeah I dont see the A League being worth 400 million on any planet so 70 million for the NBL is probably a conservative figure if anything.

Reply #880187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your above statement says it all ME. One of the best

Reply #880207 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

$400mil for the A-League is ridiculous but if it helps the NBL sell itself I'm all for it.

At least football and basketball in this country will now benefit from being worldwide sports via globalisation. The local codes will be envious if this foreign investment trend continues.

Reply #880214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So answer the question ME. What is the profit that LK makes owning the NBL?

Reply #880238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apparently it's huge - if he thinks $70m is a conservative estimate....classic ME.

Reply #880244 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"More basketball = win for us as spectators."

How about an 82 game season? Or 5-day test match games?

40 minutes hits a sweet spot in my opinion.
Too much shorter risks:
- not enough action
- the bench will be used less
Longer risks
- going above that 2 hour mark (get under 2 hours -- TV and the film industry understand typical attention spans)
- exposing lack of bench depth
- decreasing game intensity

Although I say we should find more ways to save more time while the clock isn't running. I'd even be up for something radical like single free-throw attempts equivalent to the value of the shot taken. Why isn't this ever proposed, yet we've already trialed 1-and-1 FTs?

Reply #880259 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Could a pitch be made to a private equity firm that has NBA stakes (at team or league level)? A strategy to align ownership with NBA ownership would be great for the NBL to gain access to d aft n stash talent, promotion etc.

Reply #880280 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:54 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754