highsocks
Years ago

Josh Giddey Tokyo question?

Was Josh Giddey not selected for the Tokyo Olympics or did he make himself unavailbe to prepare for the draft.

Topic #49577 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Rising star Josh Giddey has been left out of the Boomers' 12-man squad gunning for gold at the Tokyo Olympics.

The 18-year-old Giddey is expected to go early in this month's NBA draft but could not find a spot in Brian Goorjian's rotation.

Instead in a nod to the strength of the squad, the NBL rookie of the year was relegated to one of three emergency spots.

Reply #880292 | Report this post

highsocks  
Years ago

I wonder what the coaches and selectors think of that decision now?

Reply #880298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure they are comfortable with that decision. There are massive differences between the NBA and FIBA games.

Reply #880300 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I would say they told Giddey this is the biggest time in his career preparing for the draft and that he would have plenty of years ahead as a Boomer. Seems like the right decision for him IMO.

Reply #880305 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Double-edged sword there. He plays in Tokyo like he is playing now, he goes No1, if he clangs, Ouch!

Think Senator11 is spot on.

Reply #880308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He wasnt making the team, he was there for exp

Reply #880309 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

You'd think he'd have contributed better than Sobey, but he was coming off an NBL season where Sobey was the better player. I do think at the time it was the right decision.

Reply #880310 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

The Boomers went on to win their first ever medal. No harm, no foul. These questions may be worth asking if they hadn't. But at the time, they were looking at a kid who was inexperienced and juggling actually between Josh Green and Josh Giddey - not Sobey - for that 'Youngin's' spot. Green was deemed to be more ready, although I think we can say at this point of development, Giddey is well ahead, and NBA game time will do that for you.

The main thing is that Giddey has not become disenfranchised with the program. He's not like Simmons in that he doesn't expect special treatment or to get spots for what he may become. Giddey is going to be one of the leaders of the 2024 Olympic team.

Reply #880312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, I don't think Giddey took it as a slight, and we can expect to see him in future Boomers campaigns (although perhaps dependent on his NBA situation).

Reply #880316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

>1995 stock - Top 20?

Pg-Giddey02-Exum95-Proctor04-Armstrong02
Sg-Daniels03-Vasljevic97-Glover98-King02
Sf-Thybulle97-Green00-Travers01-Galloway02
Pf-Simmons96-Cooks95-White97-Maker00
C-Landale95-Reath96-Humphries98-Magnay98

Could be better at sg but otherwise decent squad for future.
Missing anyone?

Reply #880320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The way Will McDowell-White has been playing this season, I'd have thought he’d be high on the potentials list.

Reply #880327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Galloway, not on what has been presented so far.

Reply #880328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jaylin galloway not kyrin

Reply #880329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey was better. Simple.

Reply #880466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was between Giddey and green goorj said.

Reply #880467 | Report this post

JT  
Years ago

I'd say both parties are happy with the outcome.

Boomers won an historic medal.

The way Giddey managed his draft preparation demonstrably helped raised his stock. Teams loved his workouts.

He will almost certainly play for us next go round.

Win/win/win

Reply #880475 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Will McDowell-White is firmly in the Paris conversation I'd think. At point guard you have Josh Giddey/Simmons (?!?!)/Delly/Exum and then probably McDowell-White as the top candidates as of today.

Reply #880512 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

Giddy has another 4 olympics in him, likely leading the team in the next 3. He showed more heart in the trading sessions than Simmons has displayed ever.
Considering our draft selections and injuries, the best choice occurred.

Reply #880516 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:35 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754