Danny
Years ago

Can i use running shoes to play basketball

Hi guys,
i completly fell in love with playing basketball.
As i have bought already all the stuff to get to play i run out of money.

I have some Nike Downshifter 9 running shoes.
May you can tell me if those are good enough to play outside ? I would have some other sportive shoes from addidas, le coq sportif but those are street shoes.

Im asking because i fear to get injuries. Maybe there are some soles which can prevent damage from jumps...
I habe seen some player use high tops but thats not my playstyle, as i prefer movements.
Please tell me everything important.

Thanks.

Topic #49605 | Report this topic

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Playing in runningg shoes isn't a good idea if you like your ankles. Sure, you can do it, but as soon as you land on a foot, that ankle is gone.

If you can play cautiously maybe. But you really should get yourself some good basketball shoes with ankle support and a bit of cushioning at the bottom. They don't have to be that expensive. You can get a pair from Rebel Sport that will suffice for the meantime for 100 dollars. You could put that on Afterpay and knock the first payment down to 25. They may not be the flashiest shoes but they'd be an investment in your ankle health.

Reply #881028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cleary ME hasn't played a great deal. Your ankles will be cactus with or without high ankle support.

Reply #881032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I always thought high tops were overrated for ankle roll protection.
Anything that is stiff & strong enough to really prevent your ankle twisting is also going to prevent you from moving properly.

Reply #881034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get some Gaze's from Big W

Reply #881036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do NOT play in runners. They will kill your ankles and you won't be able to change direction properly either! Get some basketball shoes OR some cross trainers. Definitely not running shoes.

Reply #881037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Studies have shown that high tops don't provide any more support than lows. Get a shoe with good ankle lock-down.

Definitely get some bball shoes with good ankle lock-down, outrigger support for stability, a good support system and a herringbone solid rubber traction pattern.

Brands such as Puma, Peak etc sell shoes that do all that for a significant cheaper price than a Nike shoe with all them features so don't get caught up in the Nike hype thinking you need to break the bank to get a shoe with a decent set up.

Reply #881038 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, the problem with runners is that they're designed to be light, and designed for running in straight lines. Any kind of hard change of direction in runners and you get zero support. You will roll your ankles in those things without even stepping on someone else's foot.
You need something where the sole stays locked to your foot, and that's the thing decent basketball shoes achieve. High or low.

Reply #881039 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Cleary ME hasn't played a great deal. Your ankles will be cactus with or without high ankle support."

I've been playing consistently for 23 years. Carry on though..

"I always thought high tops were overrated for ankle roll protection.
Anything that is stiff & strong enough to really prevent your ankle twisting is also going to prevent you from moving properly."

^^ this. The shoes I've found best ankle support in are the ones that lock you in at the base of the foot. High top, low top, it's been irrelevant.

In short, basketball shoes exist for a reason. You can still get injured in any sort of shoe but basketball shoes that are well made mitigate the extent of the injury often times. I've had a lot of minor sprains that I've walked off that could have been major sprains and/or dislocations if I hadn't been wearing basketball specific shoes. I wouldn't encourage wearing runners for basketball./

Reply #881040 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

If you are playing a game of social basketball per week, runners are fine.

Any more, invest in a pair of basketball shoes and if you look after them and dont wear them outside you will get 2 years plus out of them even with heavy indoor use.

Reply #881041 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Having practiced in the field of Kicksology research and testing for 35 plus years, all I have to say is Luuc nailed it.

Reply #881043 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yep, take it from people who master shake & bake moves. Get those feet fry locked in tight.

Reply #881044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

23 glorious years of ref abuse.

Reply #881046 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Get some Gaze's from Big W

I bought a pair from K-Mart once for a laugh. The left shoe fell apart mid-game.

Reply #881048 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Runners are fine if you intend to keep distance from other players and never land on their feet.

Reply #881052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A player starting out without all the 'mad skills' players have here (cough,cough) are fine, No one is talking about breaking ankles here because of your crazy handles. If you want to get better get the right tools. You have already spent money on stuff. Play in runners (no not the Dunlop Volleys) tightens your laces tight and go for it. If you get more serious about it a great fitting pair of kix will be required.
If you are semi serious now and have the skills to match ankle tape.

Reply #881062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of basketball sneakers are low cut. Even some NBA players played in air Max runners like Sefolosha and Arenas. But they'd have professional tape jobs. Most comfortable shoes I ever wore playing were the Fab Five Huaraches, their support was non existent. And the grip is important, runners tend to have long lasting tread, kicks have something like herringbone for grip. Loved my original Jordan 6s back in the day but were slippery as, regret it to this day they became outdoor court shoes.

Reply #881063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ASICS seem to work for every Australian Netball Representative

Reply #881066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ASICS netball shoes are different to their running shoes

Reply #881072 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:23 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754