Luuuc
Two years ago

WNBL Round 10 - Part 1

A strange round that is split across 2 weekends...

Sat 4:30pm - Adelaide vs Bendigo [ABC & Fox Sports]
Sat 7:30pm - Canberra vs Southside [Kayo]

Sun 3:30pm - Sydney vs Townsville [Kayo Freebies]
Sun 6:00pm - Melbourne vs Perth [Kayo]

Topic #49707 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Two years ago

FLAMES STAR LAUREN MANSFIELD SIDELINED BY INJURY

Star Brydens Sydney Uni Flames guard Lauren Mansfield will miss the majority, if not the remainder, of the WNBL season due to injury.

Mansfield sustained what was originally believed to be a minor calf injury in the game against the UC Capitals last week, but scans revealed a tear to the left calf tendon requiring some significant rest and rehabilitation.

Mansfield will be out of Sunday's game against the Townsville Fire at Qudos Bank Arena but there is a chance she could return for some games before the season’s end.

"Initially I got the news saying it was eight weeks, but it could be less depending on how it feels and how the rehabilitation goes," Mansfield said.

“Getting back is something I’ll work towards and it’s good for me mentally to have that goal, but I’ll also be smart about it as well.

“Obviously I’m pretty bummed about it. It has been a crazy year and I’m more upset for my team than anything else.

“It’s been a disrupted year but I think I’ve been able to be a steadying presence on the team adding some experience. Now to not be able to be on the court with the girls I’m super disappointed but I’m looking to be a more vocal presence on bench and at training. You will hear me more.”

That is music to the ears of any Flames supporter but it also comes as Mansfield had been putting together a solid season individually.

The co-captain has been averaging 13 points a game and leading the Flames in assists for the season at 4.4 a game.

In the win over Bendigo Mansfield had 21 points shooting 7-11 from the three-point line.

“That’s what’s so frustrating,” Mansfield said.

“I’m in good form, my body had been feeling good, I felt fit and I was finally making some shots.”

Flames coach Shane Heal said Mansfield’s loss was a big blow to his young side.

“I’m shattered for Loz being ruled out for the rest of the season,” he said.

“She has been amazing for us on and off the court. Her poise and leadership will be sorely missed in this young team. Not to mention the scoring she has added over the season including her seven threes in our win.

“I think she has had her best season of her career and has shown the true value she has added.”

The Flames game at Qudos Bank Arena on Sunday will be the last double-header of the season with the Sydney Kings.

The Flames v Townsville Fire will take place Sunday, 6 at 3.30pm at Qudos Bank Arena.

Reply #884102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Boomers add another NZ player... why can't the Aussie development players get put into the roster to play minutes?

Reply #884103 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

This 3rd quarter by Maley has been nuts

Reply #884106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Crazy that Maley hasn't got an opals shot

Reply #884122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

She was literally just in the Opals 16 player camp

Reply #884124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

She could take Madgen or Blicavs spots easily

Reply #884128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Ohea looks cooked

Reply #884154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Sandy won't pick Maley as a 6’1 pf.
And she won’t play her at the 3 with Talbot and Allen in the side.

She always has 6’3-6’4 pfs and 6’4-6’9 centres

Just look at ny, first thing she did was sign post players for the Liberty.

Reply #884164 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

NY needed a post player badly so can't blame the team for getting one. (Clearly not just a Sandy decision either)

Is Maley ready right now to be in the Opals 12? I'm not convinced.
I love her, but bullying an understrength WNBL team is not the same as international ball.

Reply #884165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Whoever ends up with Maley at NBL1 level will win the league. She's legit

Reply #884177 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Messy & stressful game today. Tough OT win by the Lynx, made possible by Sharp's triple at the end of regulation.
Been proud of the road warriors all season but especially so after that one.

Reply #884299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Ben Waterworth is so annoying, ugh.

Reply #884311 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

I think Ben Waterworth is one of the better commentators myself.

Reply #884334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Agree Waterworth has an understanding of the game, much better then the blokes doing Sydney vs Tasmania Friday night.

Melbourne (with two imports) losing is another poor coaching performance to add to Molloy's resume. Will be interesting how long Mabery is out for the Lynx?

Reply #884335 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

How Melbourne lost that game is beyond me. Perth team was essentially a bunch of no-names who were lucky enough to have some big threes drop. Allen as always tried hard and played well especially in the last quarter but today just highlighted that she can't do it on her own and they need Madgen and George.

Reply #884339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Molloy, wtf. How's is this guy a wanted man ?
A n.t head coach and a perennial loser.

This guy has not achieved anything in a decade with the biggest budget and now he’s failing again and has now secured nznbl most sort after job coaching the Wellington saints.

Reply #884340 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Two years ago

I noticed Billings getting 20 points in the first half, but subbed out.
Didn't wanna win by too much. (Mercy rule)

Reply #884348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Seebohm cleverly resting a star player for the business end of the season.

Reply #884349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

A league full of overated coaches, clubs that typically have the biggest budget at the time, win.

Stay
Seebohm - done alot with a little

Petrik - only 2nd season

Lucas - 2 championships and 3 runners up in 9 seasons.

Go
Molloy - year on year, struggled to win a gf, 8 seasons only 1 final appearance, runner up (new coach)

Chambers - 2 champs in 13 seasons, last season by far the biggest budget with Liz and several opals, 16-17 season really her greatest achievement (replace with snell)

Goriss - integrity issues, another coach that has only achieved on the back of big spending after first 2seasons, prime Mitchell, epoupa, griffin, nurse, Tolo etc (replace with veal)

Heal - all the seq crap and has gone through 5-6 imports in under 10 games sitting bottom of ladder, jobs for mates (hibbert done dirty) - (new coach)

York won less than 15% of games over 3. Years - (new coach)

Reply #884352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Luuuc Maley has done good againstbevery team even at full strength.

Reply #884353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Let Heal keep coaching, we don't have to put up with him in commentary.

Reply #884360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Samuels stood down.

What a muppet.

Reply #884437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

What is Samuels stood down for?

Reply #884454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Incident at a Gold Coast night spot, has to go to court.

Reply #884456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

I wonder if her NBL1 team will accept her.

Reply #884467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Had signed in Adelaide to play NBL1 Central. Was already an odd decision in itself.

Reply #884477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Never changed, never any good either.

Reply #884483 | Report this post

ANON  
Two years ago

York won less than 15% of games over 3. Years - (new coach)

on less than 15% of the budget of the big teams, give her a break, she is hamstrung by the powers at Bendigo and keeps battling away, she is a ripper

Reply #884508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

No she ain't.

Reply #884509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

They have 15% of the budget?, more like 50%+

Reply #884511 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

aaaand Perth are going home.

Reply #884567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

"Round 10a Update:

Unfortunately due to injuries and illness, Perth Lynx is unable to field a team together for Saturday's clash with Bendigo Spirit and therefore the game will not go ahead.

We will work with both clubs to find a replacement date.

#WeAreWNBL"

Reply #884824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Perth Lynx is not turning up tomorrow against Spirit , should that not be a forfeit?
The reason given is not covid so what is different from junior basketball rules?

Reply #884825 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

It cites illnesses so I wouldn't be ruling COVID out just because they haven't specifically mentioned it. Given COVID presumably hampering the ability to bring anyone into the squad and the Opals situation it hardly seems reasonable to ding them for it.

Why they're rescheduling, which they've just announced they'd stop doing, I don't know.

Reply #884827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

It is not covid and every other team is playing without their opal players: some even giving young development players some court time. Homesick?

Reply #884834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Ba, absolutely corrupt

Reply #884835 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

This is coming across seriously weak as piss by Perth. Going home early and essentially abandoning the season is one thing, but just not turning up to a game because they "can't field a team" is a joke. Are they professionals or aren't they?

Reply #884848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Burrows
Gandini
Satie
Young
Ciabbitoni
Sharp
Clarke
Jacobs
Isenbarger
Hoycard
Scherf

Out
Whitcomb
Mabrey - let's say injured
Garbin

Reply #884851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Gee wiz the wnbl needs an overhaul.
Run very poorly.

Reply #884855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

how did they get away with it?

Reply #884862 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

If it isn't COVID then not showing up is a forfeit. You can't just decide not to show up.

Reply #884865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Mayberry was in a boot.

Reply #884866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

And I don't think Satie or Jacobs travelled with the team.

Reply #884867 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Correct.

So:
Burrows
Gandini
Young
Ciabbitoni
Sharp
Clarke
Isenbarger
Hoycard
Scherf

That's nine. They need eight to play. So two of them are injured/ill. Wasn't Clarke carrying something as well, or am I misremembering? Either way, it's hardly implausible or a sign that they're just quitting.

And I have no idea where "going home early and giving up on the season" comes from, they're going home a week later than planned to play home games like every other club in the league has had the opportunity to do this season.

Reply #884873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Burrows was. Back. Don't recall any other injuries mentioned.

Reply #884876 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Kobe was likely thinking of Clarke's concussion, which she returned from to play some minutes in last weekend's game vs Melbourne

Reply #884877 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Probably: I haven't seen the Melbourne game because it's locked behind a Kayo subscription and I refuse to pay $25 for one game of basketball.

Reply #884883 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

According to today's paper - for what it's worth - Isenbarger is sick, and Burrows (back), Clinch Hoycard (knee) & Mabrey (foot) are out injured.

Reply #884920 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Two years ago

I wouldn't mind Billings and Aokuso
Get to watch them, tonite, at least.

Reply #884932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

God the commentary on this game was dire. "No team in the league can compare to the Fire"...um they're coming fifth.

Reply #884995 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

The second I heard that girl's voice I had to turn it off and watched the entire game muted. Nothing personal but as a commentator she is seriously unbearable.

Reply #884999 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

I borrowed someone's Kayo to watch the Lynx-Boomers game and they claimed a technical foul was an unsportsmanlike. One of the Canberra games they were shocked to see someone ejected for getting a technical and a USF. So far the WNBL commentary has made Dwayne seem knowledgeable by comparison.

Reply #885002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

They all have to start somewhere. Hopefully, professional development is on their to do list. "that girl" was a football umpire I believe.

Reply #885027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

LOL why is a football umpire commentating on WNBL? Get some actual basketball commentators. Corbin Middlemass is great for example.

Reply #885028 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

Corbin is by far the best of the lot. Used to really like Jack Heverin as well, would be great if they could get him back. Jason Bennett and Ben Waterworth are good as well - I like Ben although a few others have said they find him annoying.

Understand that Julia is pretty new but there's just something about her that drives me completely insane. From the first game I heard her call a game, I hoped it was a one-off but no such luck and for me it's got to the point where I have to have the game on mute. Steph Blicavs is much better and that's without her having the uni qualifications and other experience that Julia has. Even Lori and Jenni are nowhere near as annoying, and particularly in the case of Jenni that's saying something.

Reply #885047 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

I was talking primarily about Chizik, who should have zero excuse for being as clueless as she is.

Reply #885069 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:01 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754