RobT
Two years ago

Simmons, Curry, Drummond traded for Harden

Just heard on ABC news that Ben Simmons on his way to Brooklyn for Harden.

Patty and Ben, from a Boomers POV, could not be better IMO. A couple of years beside Patty and Ben will become Australian Basketball's greatest promoter, no longer the player who'll play if you beg him enough.

Topic #49735 | Report this topic

RobT  
Two years ago

https://www.espn.com.au/nba/story/_/id/33260613/brooklyn-nets-trade-james-harden-philadelphia-76ers-ben-simmons-seth-curry-andre-drummond-sources-say

Reply #884739 | Report this post

RobT  
Two years ago

First Para: Who is going where.

"The Brooklyn Nets and Philadelphia 76ers agreed to a blockbuster trade just hours before Thursday's deadline, with James Harden and Paul Millsap going to Philadelphia and Ben Simmons, Seth Curry, Andre Drummond and two first-round draft picks going to Brooklyn, sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski."

Reply #884740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

He still won't play for the Boomers

Reply #884741 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Harden has a player option for next season?

So Philly just gave away the kitchen sink including 2 first rounders for a guy who'll probably leave after this season?

Reply #884743 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Oh ok Harden has exercised that option. Makes a bit more sense then.

These 2 meeting in the playoffs would be fun

Reply #884745 | Report this post

A Aron  
Two years ago

Ben will play the 5 in Crunch time lineups and the matchup vs Philli would be Embiid, now that'll be fun to watch

Reply #884748 | Report this post

Kev  
Two years ago

Ben Simmons abused the mental health card for not stepping on the court. If he steps on the floor in the next week, NBA should step in and suspend him for the season. Professional athletes making a mockery of mental health because they got the wrong Barbie doll for Xmas should be punished harshly.

Reply #884749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Kev making a diagnosis from another country without speaking to the guy, gee wonder why he may have mental health issues with nobodies online keep having goes at him.

Reply #884756 | Report this post

omenau05  
Two years ago

we dont know if Ben has abused the mental health card, I am sure the Nets have done their due diligence

76ers have been dysfunctional for a long time, bad picks and silly contracts
now they are faced with Harden 45 million next season and can sign a 250 million for 5 years

Ben at the Nets is for me a great fit, when KD is back they dont need heaps of scoring but they get defence and passing and a player who creates for others

Reply #884758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

The Simmons situation has been a farce since day 1. I'd expect to see him on court sooner rather than later otherwise if he is out for the rest of the season it's one of the dumber trades ever.

Reply #884759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Ben can now fulfil his potential of being a better version of Lamar Odom.
All the talent but mentally etc never going to be your no.1 guy

Reply #884760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

I like the other parts of the trade. Curry gives them another lethal shooter and Drummond has been playing well lately and is probably the league's best rebounder. Can't have him and Simmons on court together though. But when Kyries out, Simmons at the point surrounded by Mills, Curry, Durant and Harris, who's going to help?
Plus Nets recoup a couple of firsts.

Reply #884761 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

I wouldn't jump to conclusions about Ben and the Boomers. Yeah it's nice to have the best promotion for the national team sitting there in the locker room with him for the next year and a half, but as we've seen since forever, Ben is only going to do what Ben actually wants to do.

Reply #884768 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Another thing to remember about Ben is he likes his off-season. So which off-season is he going to choose to stop chasing Insta-thots around and represent his country? If it's 2023, I'd say chances are slim for 2024, and the reverse. And if he cancels one out, there's every chance he's injured or his nose is out of joint for the other.

Patty in his ear is the best possible thing for his Boomers prospects but I wouldn't be counting those chickens.

Reply #884769 | Report this post

Isaac  
Two years ago

Can't help but think Nets played this pretty well in getting Curry, Drummond and first-round picks as well. Especially given Harden was so keen on getting to the 76ers anyway.

76ers fans had generally been pretty happy with Drummond this season.

Dumas:

The Nets were set on Andre Drummond. Maxey was N E V E R involved. Thybulle, Patty Mills, Bruce Brown were all dangled as bargaining chips

Reply #884770 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Nets are a haven for man children - Durant, Irving and now Simmons. Who's next, Peter Pan? Despite their obvious talents there will be more drama incoming soon with this lot.

Reply #884782 | Report this post

atomek  
Two years ago

Maybe Durant, Irving & Mills can help Simmons fix his shooting tech

Reply #884789 | Report this post

Craig  
Two years ago

Sixers gave up way too much For Harden IMO, getting rid of Ben is great for them (and for him) but to be honest losing Seth Curry is a big hit.

Reply #884797 | Report this post

WookieE  
Two years ago

Nets seem to have gotten the better part of this deal, Simmons aside... Will be interesting to see Harden not get a championship at yet another team...

If Simmons can't get his head on straight playing full time with Patty, he never will... And yes, while I'm not even a qualified internet therapist, the kid has a lot of problems, but most could have been prevented by telling him "No" a bit more when he was a kid... The way he has behaved is just messed up and is just the next thing in a long line of evidence throughout his career... He and his agent have been rewarded for being a giant tool, but now's the time to put up or fade into obscurity...

Reply #884801 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Two years ago

Maybe Durant, Irving & Mills can help Simmons fix his shooting tech

That couldn't have been done with JJ Reddick, Tobias Harris, Seth Curry?

Reply #884805 | Report this post

Narendra  
Two years ago

@ME, the last time i checked he got hitched recently , or at the very least he was engaged to a certain british media personality..so you can be rest assured that he won't be chasing those so called "insta-thots" anytime soon...

Reply #884808 | Report this post

orbit  
Two years ago

I agree Isaac, Harden wanted out & is an aging now injury prone star. I thought almost a straight swap would have sufficed. To give up some decent role models (one being the coaches son in law) & 2 first round picks makes Sean Marks an absolute legend! I would have given Ben & Danny Green & asked for Mills in return!

Reply #884810 | Report this post

Senator11  
Two years ago

Nets have the potential to be Warriors 2.0, Simmons in the Draymond role and KD/Kyrie arguably a better duo than Steph/Klay. Kyrie not playing home games is a worry, but Mills and Curry to take up the loss in scoring.

I see it as a win for 76ers too, literally got the best player available for someone that was dead weight. Takes pressure off Embiid in the clutch and they didn't have to move Maxey or Tobias, great 3rd and 4th options. Biggest loss would be Drummond if Embiid goes down.

Reply #884811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

They needed a defensive wing like Thybulle, maybe Daniels will be taken by the nets now

Reply #884812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Patty is class

https://www.theroar.com.au/basketball/video/ive-got-his-back-patty-mills-welcomes-ben-simmons-to-the-nets-1177187/amp/

Reply #884814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Patty really didn't say much though did he. He was diplomatic.

Reply #884815 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

In other big news today anons are finally being scrapped. Woohoo!

Reply #884816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Saw that if he signs new contract it will be around $60 million when he's 38.
Westbrook and Wall have bad contracts, hold my beer.
Morey's obsession with Harden is a bit old now. Probably could have really fleeced Sacramento for younger talent.

Reply #884817 | Report this post

Shaggy  
Two years ago

How good is the Philly crowd going to be when he plays against them, when they meet in the finals. Worth the NBA subscription price alone................

Reply #884819 | Report this post

Craig  
Two years ago

I wonder if Simmons will actually play in the March 10 game? Playoffs (if they meet) then obviously he will.

Reply #884828 | Report this post

Hakeem Mills  
Two years ago

Honestly if Kyrie randomly decides to get the vaccine, this team is going to be ridiculous.

(And they are injury free)

Drummond Claxton
Simmons Johnson
Durant. Harris
Curry. Mills Brown
Irving

That's just a ridiculously strong 10 man rotation.

Reply #884840 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Nets won this trade.

But it has huge potential to be win-win.

2 stars, both disgruntled and wanting out. If they both get healthy and start playing their best basketball, every chance this is the Conference finals matchup.

Arguably Embiid and Harden now one of the top 2 or 3 duos in the league (on paper at least), if not the best.

Meanwhile Brooklyn are ridiculously talented, Drummond shores up a weakness by bringing size and muscle, and Simmons now has a depth of scoring around him such that his weaknesses won't be exposed. Stud shooters everywhere, and Simmons can focus on what he does best- playing defense and distribute.

Reply #884850 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

Everyone wins here.

Love this for Simmons. Absolutely his best possible situation. He can push the ball early and then give it up to two absolutely brilliant creators of nothing presents. He can finish games as the big with KD, Kyrie and two shooters meaning he never has to take a big shot.

He does need to learn to play off the ball by setting screens and rolling rather than just hanging in the dunker spot.

As others have said, having Patty in his ear is our best (last?) Chance to get him to commit to Boomers and frankly just be a better team mate.

Reply #884868 | Report this post

Narendra  
Two years ago

@anon#812, don't they already have one ( a defensive wing) in simmons now? Why would they go for another defensive wing, and a far inferior one at that who also can't shoot, in dyson daniels? Makes no sense...

Reply #884870 | Report this post

JB  
Two years ago

I don't really understand people saying the Nets won this trade, because Harden was disengaged and wanted out anyway. Simmons has been disengaged on a whole different level. He hasn’t been playing at all. A few weeks ago it looked like the best the 76ers would get would be someone like CJ McCollum...
Seems to me the trade works for both parties, who can each feel lucky the other party was in a mess!

Reply #884884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Narendra, simmons aint no wing. Wtf are u on about.

Reply #884885 | Report this post

Narendra  
Two years ago

Ok anon ,wtf is he then? A self entitled, manchild who starts throwing tantrums and quits on his team-mates at the first sign of trouble? Would that be a more accurate description of him? Cos that seems to be the only thing he's good at.....

Reply #884921 | Report this post

Geth  
Two years ago

Narendra

Noticed your posts of late...

Why are you so angry? It's just basketball. It’s just a basketball forum.

Relax my guy.

Reply #884922 | Report this post

Narendra  
Two years ago

@geth, oh..i'm cool as a cucumber mate, cheers...

Reply #884925 | Report this post

Smartest tool  
Two years ago

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reply #884940 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:08 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754