Hermann
Two years ago

Sixers return home

March 12th sixers playing at their spiritual home...dome powerhouse arena... whichever let's get there in uber mega droves and show some true grit on the court and sixer passion off the court...team needing some real love and afferction ... confidence and passion... could a full house be a possibility... sweet sweet memories...pencil in your diary and get on a win...

Topic #49746 | Report this topic

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Looking at the crowds in Sydney and at phoenix games they might be better looking for smaller homes as well.

Reply #885067 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Two years ago

No the game at Arena/Powerhouse is on Saturday Martch 12th vs New Zealand. It will be a home game for New Zealand.

Reply #885070 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

You can call this a "New Zealand home game" if you want but I reckon this has more to do with testing the viability of a return to the powerhouse than anything else.

Reply #885076 | Report this post

LJ  
Two years ago

Given they've been offering discounted tickets for this season, you’d think they’d reward season ticket holders with free tickets.

Reply #885078 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

It's a Breakers home game. Why would they give 6ers members free tickets? Breakers need to make some money some how

Reply #885079 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

You can call this a "New Zealand home game" if you want but I reckon this has more to do with testing the viability of a return to the powerhouse than anything else.

Someone said on here recently that the deal with the AEC was a 3 year deal and expires at the end of the season and then the team will be moving back to the Powerhouse next season. Don't know if it's true or not but the poster said that's what happening because the AEC deal is too expensive to renew.

Keep in mind last season Melbourne United played a 'home game' at AEC too so I doubt this is signalling anything either way really.

Reply #885081 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Two years ago

Surely they would not move back after 3 years, Powerhouse is way better but that would be a bad look to be switching back and forth. Make a commitment. I guess the plan might have been to see how the city stadium idea goes down.

Reply #885083 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Two years ago

Def gonna go to that game... I love basketball at the powerhouse.
This is our first year without 36ers membership, 25 years of membership and the main reason was we don't enjoy games at the Ent centre.
We have always had 4 ticket in the lower section behind opposition players, @ent centre kids couldn’t see the court and I struggled also. I would hesitate to get membership if 36ers moved back to adel arena.

Reply #885086 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

"Surely they would not move back after 3 years, Powerhouse is way better but that would be a bad look to be switching back and forth."

People on here have historically been remarkably accurate even when it seems wrong.

Feels like something the 36ers would do tbh.

I'm not sure what makes Adelaide Arena way better. Given you called it the Powerhouse, perhaps nostalgia?

The location is a bit worse, the seats less comfortable, A/C virtually nonexistent, sight lines terrible. Only thing arguably better was atmosphere, but that atmosphere mostly came down to the rabid fan base that is long gone and won’t return regardless of stadium choice.

If they decide to move back I’d imagine the factors are based on 1) death of riverbank arena because South Aussies love making the wrong & generally incompetent decisions, 3) cost to lease, and 4) Adelaide Arena being the training base and office

Reply #885087 | Report this post

Titan 30  
Two years ago

5 year deal at AEC, not 3 years.
Two to go after this one.

Reply #885091 | Report this post

Hermann  
Two years ago

Sorry about wrong date. 12th. Let's get the dome rockin like old days. Foot stomping let's go sixers .. Murray magpie you need to lead the way... loud proud ... time to make statement .. sixers exist to win..

Reply #885092 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Two years ago

KET how can you possibly say that the Powerhouse is visibly worse to watch the game? Majority of the seats the view is a lot better than currently offered and so it should be because it is a purposely built basketball stadium.

Atmosphere was a lot better. One of the reasons is it is wood people are stamping their feet on not concrete. Specators are also much closer to the action so they are more inclined to get involved

Reply #885093 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Because I've been to many games at both over the course of about 30 years and it’s clear as day?

Entertainment Centre General Admission view is really good and a much closer angle.

It’s like comparing the crappy Football Park sight lines to the far better Adelaide Oval.

Reply #885096 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

"Atmosphere was a lot better."

The atmosphere was shot at Adelaide Arena well before any move.

If you're clinging on to a nostalgic view of the old powerhouse days, forget about it. The crowd isn’t like that anymore and going back to Adelaide Arena won’t magically bring it back.

The most atmosphere it had those last few years before the move was the pitterpatter of the mice and rats.

Reply #885097 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Two years ago

KET, I was going to say the same as SixersFan. AEC sightlines way worse. As "igotmadskills" stated, anything below concourse is terrible with the incline. I also dropped tickets as my wife could literally not see the court without craning her neck to get a gap between the people in front. 15 years of membership halted.

The Arena's final year general admission was behind the basket eastern side. I'd take that over the current GA section of AEC.

Reply #885098 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

I think most of the criticism is by members at the membership view.

I'm not a member these days so never been at the lower level.

But I find the GA at Ent Centre significantly better than the craptacular view at Adel Arena on the corners, or the upper level. 36ers overcharged for those terrible views!

Reply #885099 | Report this post

Titan 30  
Two years ago

Not saying it won't happen. As someone pointed out, people on here have been accurate before, no matter how stupid the decision.

Just remember that with 2 years left to go, if they do move they will have to buy their way out from the Ent Cent.

Kelly wasting more money on deciding to cut contracts short.

- Adelaide arena (had 2 left before moving to Ent Cent)
- Joey
- Conner
- CJ (at the rate the season is going)

It’s almost as if giving his word means nothing?!

Reply #885101 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Two years ago

Titan 30 welcome to professional sports. These things happen all the time in regards to player and coach contracts. Also his word is fine because he still has to pay them.

Regarding their contract with Entertainment Centre we don't know what the agreement is. It could be 3 years with 2 years option. It could also be the Entertainment Centre wants them out so they can pursue other opportunities.

Reply #885102 | Report this post

Uncle Dre  
Two years ago

what Kelly says, and what Kelly does, has no correlation

Reply #885103 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

First and foremost the problem is the team and its management. They could play anywhere and fill it if the team was better than garbage, but it's not.

Reply #885105 | Report this post

NP  
Two years ago

Hopefully have a new import by then. They won't but they should have. Humphries was always in trouble.

Reply #885106 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Two years ago

I have tried to go to about 5 games this season, and every single one has been postponed. The quality of the current team doesn't help. They need a face of the franchise, this team doesn't feel like it has one.

The timing of games also doesn't help. Sunday 12.30 tips are gross. Need more Friday and Saturday Night games. I get the NBL dont like scheduling games at the same time, but I dont see the major issue.

Once covid stops messing with things, needs to be Thursday 7pm, Friday 7pm, Saturday 5pm, Saturday 7pm, Sunday 3pm.

Reply #885109 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

NBL don't set the times, broadcast do. Adelaide is always going to get bad timeslots because they suck

Reply #885111 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

Baller they want to telecast every game live. You can't play multiple games at the same time. Some people are so dumb

Reply #885112 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Two years ago

Sebastian there's two ESPNs. I dont see the issue in the occasional simultaneous game like every other professional sport in the entire world. National broadcast is overrated in my opinion. Bring back local telecasts for local teams on FTA. Most casuals in Adelaide aren't tuning in for Cairns vs NZ etc. but would watch their local team.

Reply #885113 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

AFL avoid simultaneous broadcasts at all cost and usually will only overlap by a qtr at most.

The question should be why aren't the locals turning up to the game when its in its home state. Not like 6ers have sold out crowds.

The other item is that broadcasts double up on resources in the hub. Not like they can't duplicate the hub. Commentators, Producers, Directors, Graphics, Replay centre can only do one game at a time.

AFL, NBA, NFL, MLB all have billion dollar broadcast deals. NBL is getting its first pay deal to broadcast.

Reply #885114 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Two years ago

I seem to recall a $20M upgrade at our old place, Findon, going on
and the Premier telling us about a new happening at Ent. Centre.
Gonna be a school for arts and other things.

Reply #885115 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

Local telecasts in local free to air, put down the drugs dude. The league has struggled to get anything that looks like a FTA desk least of all one in each state/NZ. Clearly no clue how a National professional league works. As stated, NBL is not the NBA, NFL, MLB or AFL for that matter.

Reply #885116 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

" I seem to recall a $20M upgrade at our old place"

Technically it's for developing the space in front of the Arena - gym, courts etc, I don’t think it’s upgrading the arena itself all that much?

But yes, would be a solid indicator that at the very minimum it’s the permanent 36ers home for training and probably a plan B home ground.

“ and the Premier telling us about a new happening at Ent. Centre”

If a Riverbank Arena is built, the AEC would become a studio of sorts yes.

I’d (sadly) give it an very low chance of happening since at the very minimum requires a strong re-election for the Libs this time around and you’d think even requires an election win in 2026 since not much actually is budgeted to occur before 2026.

Reply #885117 | Report this post

Hermann  
Two years ago

Pity don't run the tram further down Port road and then some rapid transit buses to the dome and revitalise the fantastic precinct at the powerhouse... so much potential to turn into a brilliant outdoor/ indoor Mecca of sports.. personally think new aquatic centre would add value.. could be attractive to crows as well. Multi porpoise venues that crosses sports organically ... bit like a AIS.. nbl bearcats could become home occupiers and return glory to West...

Reply #885137 | Report this post

RG  
Two years ago

If there were to be a new aquatic centre that was a multi porpoise venue, it wouldn't leave much room for human swimmers

Reply #885145 | Report this post

Hermann  
Two years ago

Love to see the crows and sixers in a joint adventure to create a unique successful sports hubris for there members..both are needing a home to call a home.. an unity of scale abd common pact of mutual expertise for a common goal be a brilliant legacy for the state. With a vision the Adelaide airport should be relocated and crows and sixers take over to build a centre of excellence unrivalled in aust. A visionary vision of greatness beacons..

Reply #885240 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:40 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754