Tornado
Two years ago

Jerome Randle to Return to Adelaide 36ers?

As reported on Fox Sports;

" However, upon further investigation it now appears the man is likely to be Jerome Randle".

"It appears the 36ers are about to secure his signature and announce his return to Adelaide, which does give them someone to take over much of the ball carrying duties".

Remind us all again what we are paying mega bucks to McCarron for? SMH!

Topic #49769 | Report this topic

LoveBroker  
Two years ago

Haa haa WTF...this is a joke right?

Reply #885531 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

This can't be legit surely?

Reply #885532 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Hahahahaha

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sixers are officially out-sixering themselves now.

Reply #885533 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

is this serious?

Reply #885534 | Report this post

Tornado  
Two years ago

it's on the fox sports web site...

Reply #885535 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Two years ago

I was so worried I looked up foxsports site to find some info.

Thankfully I couldn't.

Well done Tornado, it was 6 weeks early but you got us all good.

Reply #885536 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Lol, he must be forty.

Reply #885538 | Report this post

TDub  
Two years ago

I still think it sounds like a joke, but I did find this

https://www.adelaide36ers.com/player/3682/249425/jerome-randle

Surley not?

Reply #885540 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Randle was honestly my first thought when they said on the broadcast it was an import playing overseas who'd been with multiple NBL clubs.

Heverin said that didn't really narrow it down, but "import with multiple NBL clubs" is actually a pretty small field.

Reply #885542 | Report this post

NP  
Two years ago

Hopson, Ware and Randle are really the only two you'd think are available.

Reply #885543 | Report this post

Uncle Dre  
Two years ago

this would suggest JVG must actually be gone as Randle not a Moldovan player?

Reply #885544 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Two years ago

Using that criteria off the top of my head :

Casey Prather
Scotty Hopson
Jerome Randle
Ramone Moore
Travis Trice (that is possibility now right)
Casper Ware
Shawn Long (if you want to consider him a 4 instead of 5).
Romelo Trimble
DJ Newbill
Jordair Jett
Demetrius Conger (not again please).
Stephen Holt.

Reply #885546 | Report this post

NP  
Two years ago

Trice has already played for 2 teams Cairns/Brisbane

Reply #885547 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

It's legit.

However, upon further investigation it now appears the man is likely to be Jerome Randle. His last stint in Adelaide ended unceremoniously, but he was the NBL MVP back in 2017, is a two-time All-NBL First Team member and more importantly, he wants back into the league.

The 34-year-old is currently playing in his adopted home country of Ukraine, but he has made no secret in recent months on social media of his desire for an NBL club to snap him up.

It appears the 36ers are about to secure his signature and announce his return to Adelaide, which does give them someone to take over much of the ball carrying duties.

It also gives them someone who will want the ball in his hands virtually all the time, which will switch McCarron to the two guard spot and isn't the best news for Dusty Hannahs and Tad Dufelmeier whose role will likely diminish.

However, winning is all that matters at the end of the day and the Sixers do need to do something to get back in the playoff hunt and still have 16 games up their sleeve.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/nbl/nbl-2022-results-scores-analysis-every-team-analysed-round-12-video-highlights/news-story/92ad510a829e704487961b53651b307b

Can't blame him wanting to get out of Ukraine at the moment but FMD.

Reply #885548 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Two years ago

Adelaide 36ers, NBL's official War Refugee Club.

Reply #885550 | Report this post

Tornado  
Two years ago

No April Fools here LoveBroker!

Reply #885552 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

So JvG is allegedly gone yet the Sixers get worse not better with decision making? Wow just wow.

Reply #885553 | Report this post

TDub  
Two years ago

If Randle is in form this might work. We need some handles lets face it. I really hope that with Randle walking in mid-season he cant dictate the culture stuff. Hopefully the established team can keep Randle in check.

Also, reckon he might work well with CJ

fingers crossed

Reply #885554 | Report this post

Fugazi88  
Two years ago

peak 6ers

Reply #885555 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Respect to Randle for coming off his ACL and contributing in the Spanish ACB. Sounds like he's playing at a high level.

I doubt he'll do much to get Adelaide wins, but I'm looking forward to watching him. He's got attitude and game.

Reply #885556 | Report this post

Uncle Dre  
Two years ago

This is definitely a joke. Even 6ers would not go down this path. Didn't owner Kelly 'draw a line in the sand’ shortly after Randle left last time.

Reply #885557 | Report this post

Titan 30  
Two years ago

This likely the cause of JVG going. He didn't want it, disagreed with the genius GK, and so it’s time to go.

Remember that other time GK decided we needed him back?

And for the record, pretty sure he is a Moldovan player.

Reply #885559 | Report this post

Uncle Dre  
Two years ago

So does Kelly get the agent sling now?

Reply #885561 | Report this post

NP  
Two years ago

I don't have a problem with this unless Todd Withers isn’t packing his bags for an upgrade.
Great to have a proper ball handler in and Someone who can actually get in over the half court but let’s not expect Randle to be a flat out scorer as he has in the past every night.
If we could upgrade Withers for say a Hopson or equivalent we will look a whole lot better.

Reply #885562 | Report this post

Fugazi88  
Two years ago

Randle confirmed it isnt him

Reply #885563 | Report this post

Beantown  
Two years ago

I hope you're right Fugazi! Signing Randle would get the Sixers an entry in the dictionary under Clueless!

Reply #885564 | Report this post

Bol  
Two years ago

Nothing like a Randle to Sixers story to get this forum buzzing again

Reply #885565 | Report this post

Kev  
Two years ago

If only here this week so Zhordan can bring back the pastries.

The owner is a big fan of Jerome and he has given played well for the club in the past.

Reply #885566 | Report this post

rjd  
Two years ago

I assume he's playing for the cost of an air ticket out of Ukraine.

Reply #885567 | Report this post

Isaac  
Two years ago

Checked his Twitter. He's been all but begging for a gig in the NBL recently.

Reply #885577 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

How many comeback tours would this be for Jerome Randle now?

Like everyone else I was a huge fan during his first stint here but over time, things like his personal relationship with Joey Wright and the fact he clearly couldn't get the team any further in the playoffs put paid on my care for him. Getting Jerome Randle back smacks of a lack of ideas. How shallow must the talent pool be, and how poor must the sixers be if they're going to go back to the future yet again? It feels like an admission that this team doesn't harbour championship goals.

However the silver lining in all this would be if JVG were gone. I'll take 12 Jerome Randles if we are rid of that "ideas man". I want people to savour the fact that there was a choice between Mitch McCarron and Jaylen Adams to be made, and he lumbered us with three years of Mitch McCarron. JVG has been living on the back of one championship season with the Bullets 15 years ago when they were breaking all sorts of salary caps. The sooner the league moves on from him and his hairbrained ideas the better. He knows nothing about basketball and should stick to marketing.

Reply #885581 | Report this post

Uncle Dre  
Two years ago

great post 'ME'

Reply #885585 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

If healthy I actually think Randle gives the Sixers something that they really lack right now offensively, but it's not going to make them top 4. Both imports at the moment are playing at third-import level, and the expectation that Humphries would be at import level have really handicapped them.

Ironically it was probably the best and most balanced looking roster JVG has managed yet on paper. Humphries' injury problems can't really be pinned on JVG but he whiffed on imports (although Hannahs was supposedly being courted by others). McCarron has probably been the biggest surprise for me though. He felt like the glue that held United together at times but too often plays erratic and sloppy with the Sixers.

Reply #885586 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Two years ago

Getting Randle will be good publicity for the casual fan that the club want to get back in attendance. Best days are behind him, but if someone links him to more successful times, then they might show up.
On the broadcast on weekend, they kept asking who was the man of this team. DJ definitely isn't, imports aren't and McCarron and Dech are secondary players. Humphries may have been but he's held together by sticky tape. If Randle can come in and provide some scoring punch freeing up McCarron, Dusty, Dech and others, it's worth a gamble. Could imagine he's not on huge money, knows the league and how it works. And hopefully it's not a Brandon Paul who rides the bench.
The season is nearly gone, barely able to put away a terrible Cairns, if Randle comes in and provides a spark, great. If it was final straw to rid us of JVG, fucking great!!!

Reply #885587 | Report this post

ChairmanOfTheBored  
Two years ago

I'm with ME, Randle was a spark in his first stint, and I guess that memory lives with a lot of the casual fans out there because he still seems to be a popular figure out in social media land.

In any event, Randle himself has denied he's been approached so it looks like this is a moot point anyway.

Reply #885591 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Interesting that Randle is denying it but if it is happening that might be more to do with his current contract situation in Ukraine. If all the technicalities of his 'release' haven't been worked out yet I would be keeping my mouth shut until I was out of the country with Russian troops now 'soft invading'.

Plus the journalist for Fox Sports above would have serious egg on his face for all but confirming it if it weren't happening so in all likelihood it's a done deal.

It has been obvious to me for years McCarron isn't a true PG just a makeshift PG that looked better than he actually was on a stacked United team and what I've seen this season he has been struggling to run the team effectively. The bizarre situation of seemingly not running much for Hannahs who can't do much else than come off screens and catch and shoot falls on CJ really but perhaps McCarron is hindering that too. The Sixers haven't gotten much out of half court sets for years now.

Randle will at least be able to get the ball over and get us into sets but no doubt will take it upon himself offensively too much. We really need a pure PG but I think the club probably thinks it's got a couple of duds on it's hands in Hannahs and Withers (who has dropped off badly since passing the deadline) and is hoping Randle takes up a lot of the scoring slack. That big money 3 year contract to McCarron was just such a bizarre signing.

Reply #885598 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Haven't seen much of Adelaide this season but the McCarron complaints seem a little odd given he's

- Top 5 in assists
- 6th in steals
- Top 10 in rebounds

His field goal % is shocking but he was never gonna be scoring 15 a game. He's an all rounder and the stats show he's contributing well in some key areas

36ers have locked up a quality Aussie for 3 years

Guess it does depend on $$$ though. Who else could they have got for similar $$$

Reply #885602 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Two years ago

Jerome confirming he hasn't been spoken to , someone gave Chris Pike a really bad tip.

Reply #885606 | Report this post

Isaac  
Two years ago

The thinking with McCarron was clearly that they'd get a workhorse/all-court guy without burning an import spot. Great in theory and if the balance played out, but he's not going for 40 to carry a team to wins. They don't have a hero on the team.

Reply #885607 | Report this post

The Foss  
Two years ago

Hahahahaha stop with this sort of BS!! The club came out two weeks ago and ruled out Randle and Randle himself has said its not him.... Discussion over.

Reply #885608 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

I don't get the "discussion over" stuff. It's far from over. The timing of JR's Twitter posts are telling. As soon as the talk pops up suddenly he's posting these really longing tweets about the NBL and a video of fan's reactions in Adelaide to him. I know he's been jonesing for the NBL for a while now, but this new outbreak coincides perfectly with the talk. The fact he's saying that the signing isn't him isn't confirmation for me. The most Adelaide decision would be to bring Randle back. It fits in perfectly with how they seem to run things.

Reply #885610 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Two years ago

I want people to savour the fact that there was a choice between Mitch McCarron and Jaylen Adams to be made, and he lumbered us with three years of Mitch McCarron.

This is me not knowing ow much each player is getting paid.

I would have signed 4K McCarron as well.

1) He is a local, freeing up an import slot.
2) He is a known quality in this league and has an extensive body of work.
3) He is of good character by all accounts and fits in well with the culture at Adelaide.

With Adelaide winning the Pre-season cup and Adams struggling with injuries, it would have been a good choice at season's start. I concede that as the season wore on Adams has surpassed MM on production and lead directly to wins.

But Adelaide still have their 3rd import trump card because of JVG's choice.

Reply #885612 | Report this post

Gazee  
Two years ago

Maybe GK is bringing back Scott Christopherson

Reply #885613 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Two years ago

I don't think it is Randle, as I have enough faith in the club that they can see what they need and act on it.

The not like for like (to Humphries) is a concern, we need a defensive presence in the paint, if not a 5 man, then a defensive minded 4 to make DJ the 5.

Obviously Randle makes so little sense on the court.

1) He is defensively poor and small, We cannot have Randle and DJ as 2 defensive weaknesses. Randle and DJ need to average 40+ between them to offset the points allowed.

2) We already have McCarron as the playmaker.

3) If you push McCarron to the starting SG then Hannahs starts to suffer in minutes and plays.

4) Yes Randle is a 'PG' but a score first PG so its not like he will be setting up the team, he will go iso and then pass when 'necessary'. McCarron is a better setter up of offence.

5) It would only make sense if you bring in Randle, get rid of Hannahs and then bring in a defensive big. I can handle Randle if we still get help in the middle. Swapping a 5 for a 1 is pure lunacy.

Reply #885614 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

"This is me not knowing ow much each player is getting paid.

I would have signed 4K McCarron as well.

1) He is a local, freeing up an import slot.
2) He is a known quality in this league and has an extensive body of work.
3) He is of good character by all accounts and fits in well with the culture at Adelaide.

With Adelaide winning the Pre-season cup and Adams struggling with injuries, it would have been a good choice at season's start. I concede that as the season wore on Adams has surpassed MM on production and lead directly to wins.

But Adelaide still have their 3rd import trump card because of JVG's choice."

And that 3rd import trump card is going to be a mid-30s ball hog whose best days are behind him. Whoopty doo?

As for what the prices were, Andrew Bogut said they were looking at McCarron but once they found out his asking price they went for Jaylen Adams. So either McCarron was asking more, similiar money, or the difference between the two was such that it made sense paying a bit more for Adams. Either way, what is certain is that McCarron has been overpaid and the extra import spot is about to lead to very little indeed.

Congratulations JVG I suppose...

Reply #885615 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

"I don't think it is Randle, as I have enough faith in the club that they can see what they need and act on it.
"

What over the past 6 years of Grant Kelly management - and indeed the seasons even before it - has led you to such faith?

All the reasons listed are precisely why Adelaide will do it. They've got a glut of stiff whiteboy big men that they're probably confident in despite their lack of mobility and output. Dont think just because JVG is gone that they stupid decisions are gone with him.

Reply #885616 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

It's something Adelaide would do, but coming out and saying he hasn’t been contacted makes it extremely unlikely surely unless something falls through.

Otherwise we are suggesting Randle is straight up lining, and for what possible gain?

Reply #885618 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Lying*

Reply #885619 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Two years ago

And that 3rd import trump card is going to be a mid-30s ball hog whose best days are behind him. Whoopty doo?

Yes I disagree with the use of the Trump Card on Randle, but can accept it if we let Hannahs go for a big.

Either way, what is certain is that McCarron has been overpaid

To be fair we cannot know this for sure unless we know how much all the other offers were and what the final Sixers offer was.

You have hearsay from Bogut.

What over the past 6 years of Grant Kelly management - and indeed the seasons even before it - has led you to such faith?

Adelaide will at least monitor the situation and TRY to correct / make amends the situation. Yes, I concede often they screw it up initially, but they will then invest the money to try to correct the highlighted issues, last year it was the introduction of Brandon Paul, this year......TBA.

I am not here to defend all the front office's poor decisions, some of them are indefensible. But I can see that they will at least observe what is going on and do 'something' different.

Reply #885620 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

You have hearsay from Bogut.
That's not what "hearsay" means.

Reply #885622 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

"That's not what "hearsay" means."

What definition are you working off of?

Reply #885623 | Report this post

The Foss  
Two years ago

For everyone buying this BS and saying it's a possibility Jerome just once again confirmed he has not been contacted by the 6ers and they're looking at someone else... This fan base are like wrestling fans with all the dirt sheet crap they believe ....

Reply #885626 | Report this post

The Foss  
Two years ago

@ME it's NOT happening!!! Been confirmed multiple times ....Once again discussion over!

Reply #885629 | Report this post

MRl  
Two years ago

Random on FIVEaa self promoting himself, hasn't been contacted but was begging for someone to bring him here, panicking about being sent to Siberia if captured by the Russians.

I have been saying for a while this town needs another team as I am sick of the trash the Sixers roll out year after year, if they bring this ball hog street baller back they will lose me forever

Reply #885637 | Report this post

Crackers65  
Two years ago

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result each time.

Reply #885639 | Report this post

The Foss  
Two years ago

@MRI @Crackers65 ...Dude has literally said 3 times that the 6ers don't want him and 6ers have also said this......its 100% not Randlebso move on ffs

Reply #885645 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:39 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754