Old Baller
Two years ago

New basketball courts @ Marion petition

The South Adelaide Panthers have put a call out on their socials for the basketball community to sign their petition to garner additional support for new courts at the Marion Stadium site.

Any new basketball courts for SA is good for the sport.

'Ahead of the Marion Stadium extension rally taking place this Sunday we ask for members to please sign the petition to further support the cause! https://forms.gle/kX4ugRZqhRs9VDai8
REMINDER: Rally is this Sunday 6th March @ 11:00am in the Marion Stadium carpark'

Topic #49798 | Report this topic

+  
Two years ago

I hope they get the support - South deserve a new stadium or good renovations. After attending the newer venues around town - I certainly appreciate the work other clubs have put in getting to that point.

Reply #886235 | Report this post

Was15  
Two years ago

I thought Panthers were going to use Mitchell Park

Reply #886243 | Report this post

Nightwing  
Two years ago

They are Was15. But Mitchell Park is only 2 courts and will be used by other sports as well. It will be run by Council.

South is one of the 2 biggest clubs in Adelaide, 2 more courts isn't enough. Getting another 2 solely basketball courts at Marion is also desperately needed.

Reply #886260 | Report this post

Easy As  
Two years ago

They got screwed by the council, Mitchell Park was going to be 4 courts which they worked extremely hard to get funded, only to have a group of 27 dog owners complain about the environmental impact of a 4 Court venue on their doggy area. One of the members of the group had some involvement in council and what do you know, all of a sudden its down to a 2 Court facility.
An additional 2 courts at Marion is absolutely vital in expanding basketball in South Australia. All these new venues are great, but when they're not BSA operated, we're actually no better off as we don't have full access to the venues.

Reply #886262 | Report this post

Nightwing  
Two years ago

I think more to the point they got screwed by BSA and the State Government who pulled their promised $5m from the project and redirected it to Wayville.

Reply #886264 | Report this post

JCK98  
Two years ago

It's in Boothby so they might get a bit of a funding at the federal level because the seat is so marginal, state level is a different story as Labor have been trying to get into government by ranting about "basketball stadiums" for the last year, it'd be a bit hard to spin the funding of one, even if it is at a community level.

Reply #886273 | Report this post

Nightwing  
Two years ago

A Labor win at State level means another 10 years of $0 for basketball. They still proudly talk about how they dismantled the sport and the sixers for their beloved AFL.

Reply #886289 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

For whatever reason new basketball courts always seem to be a contentious issue. If they're outdoor courts, "waaah.... noise!" if they're indoor... well... Labor has basically made their entire election campaign about the evils of the marshall "basketball stadium". For some reason basketball is the sport to shit on in this state.

Reply #886332 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

" A Labor win at State level means another 10 years of $0 for basketball. They still proudly talk about how they dismantled the sport and the sixers for their beloved AFL."

SMH.

It's a terribly cynical way to campaign by pushing “basketball stadium or health” exploiting the pandemic.

This “we will do the opposite of the other party” is Abbott style win at all costs politics.

Labor needs to pull its head in and stop actively misleading to win votes

Reply #886334 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Two years ago

"It's a terribly cynical way to campaign by pushing "basketball stadium or health" exploiting the pandemic."

Not really when the state needs funding towards the health system. I am a liberal voter but it is a shit decision to consider building a 600+ million dollar stadium when the health system is so bad.

Reply #886335 | Report this post

Hermann  
Two years ago

Sometimes I am prone to being bit loose goosey..bit health first..start the ball rolling on stadium for f ... sake but get the health system healthy you turdkeys ... else loosey gooosey fool stop dude can deduck that ...

Reply #886337 | Report this post

Nightwing  
Two years ago

Remember Brexit? The 350 pounds going to the NHS and not to the EU. How did that turn out?

Health is an issue the world over. Look at the US!

The problem isn't a world class entertainment centre or health.

The problem is health is expensive and that expense is growing and NO government in the world would say they fund it at the level they want to/should.

There's hundreds of ways a Government could invest in Health. By buying into the Stadium or Health slogan, you've just being ill-informed and proving Labor's scare campaign works.

Reply #886339 | Report this post

+  
Two years ago

there is no reason why we can't have both - we need new development for jobs, progress etc and a good health system.
Obviously community health is important and 1st but does not sport fit into community health and well being as well ? Along with jobs, entertainment etc ? Mental Health.
We could do with both IMO

Reply #886343 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

" Not really when the state needs funding towards the health system. I am a liberal voter but it is a shit decision to consider building a 600+ million dollar stadium when the health system is so bad."

Why is it a shit decision though?

What makes you think it's “$600m spent on a stadium means $600m not spent on health”?

We know that’s not how it works - to begin with only a small portion is budgeted, then you need to consider a portion of the money comes from a sale of the Ent centre - that sale doesn’t happen if they don’t build the arena and therefore cannot possibly be reallocated to health. Then there’s federal funding structure which doesn’t just “divert” to whatever the state wants - usually funding is under broader federal budgets to meet criteria.

The absence of a river bank arena doesn’t mean there’s suddenly more money available to health.

Equally, you have a scenario where construction industry needs an injection which is the focus of a lot of federal budget and important to employment in SA, and there’s no big health infra alternative beyond what has already been committed by both parties anyway.

Then there’s the obvious nature of making money and improving/stimulating the economy, something an arena, particularly one connected to the convention centre does. SA can’t just be reliant on the Federal Government for money whenever they’re in a shit storm, there has to be some semblance of an operating economy and private sector.

So, I don’t really see where removing the concept of a riverbank arena suddenly makes health flush with additional funding - because it doesn’t.

Such an obvious slight of hand campaign!

Reply #886344 | Report this post

Nightwing  
Two years ago

The best way to prove Labor wrong and get more money into basketball facilities is numbers.

If everyone in basketball in SA signed petitions like this one, no State Government would ever use putting money into a basketball stadium as a negative.

They'd be throwing money at the sport.

We are our own worst enemy.

Reply #886356 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Two years ago

I think the major problem is the total spend, $600-700 million if there's blowouts is really pushing it. Drop it down to $100-200 million would make a less bitter pill to swallow. And yes, I'm aware you get what you pay for.

Reply #886362 | Report this post

JCK98  
Two years ago

That'd be believable if Labor had any plan at all for an entertainment/indoor sports arena (or a plan to upgrade another one up to standard) rather than slagging off basketball at every opportunity.

Reply #886379 | Report this post

Really!!!  
Two years ago

Are people forgetting that it was a Liberal government who stopped BASA from running concerts are the Powerhouse turning it into a white elephant and then destroyed basketball for 20 years.

Reply #886385 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:59 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754