Just Blaze
Two years ago

Have NBL crowds recovered post-COVID?

Coming off Covid I really thought fans would get back out and support the league.

There are some scary numbers of game by game attendances and hasn't been highlighted.

https://www.austadiums.com/sport/comp/nbl/results

Anything under 3k for a National comp with international eyes just doesn’t bode well.

Topic #49853 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Two years ago

You say that like COVID is over. It's not even close.

WA is currently restricted to 50% capacity. Other states have had, and possibly still have, their own capacity restrictions.

Reply #887183 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Not only are there still capacity restrictions there are vaccine mandates at many of the venues. Now I know people say that 90 percent of people are vaccinated but in my line of work in the fitness industry I find a higher proportion of them are not. Vaccine mandates may be disproportionately affecting sporting events. I have no concrete and hard proof of that but it would be an interesting study to make. Either way I think the crowds across all sports are down and the NBL isn't suffering any moreso than anyone else in that regard. When all restrictions go I think we'll be back to where we were before. What is of more immediate interest to me would be TV ratings, and we've not heard about them since round three.

Reply #887270 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

anecdotally at least it does seem people in the "fitness and wellness" area are over represented in the unvaccinated numbers.

It doesnt seem like an NBL problem as much as an events across the board problem. Mandates, changing schedules, caution, people not being in central areas as much would all be contributing to lower attendance.

Personally I havent been able to attend as many of the games of leagues I have membership for (WNBL and AFLW) over this summer due to last minute schedule changes etc.

Reply #887277 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

It was the best attendance since the pandemic began in Sydney last home game. Overall though, definitely no where near recovered to pre-covid numbers anywhere.

Reply #887279 | Report this post

orbit  
Two years ago

Will let u know post covid. When the best game of the year last night is played without a crowd & NZ is using Tassy as a home court we can't tell yet. I was at Taipans game sunday & was only half full but we are shit this year so hard to gauge.

Reply #887282 | Report this post

Boba Fett  
Two years ago

Jackies sold out all the time. But many no crowd games in Hobart for the Breakers.

Reply #887294 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Cant measure it this year with covid and the overlap of the football codes.

Reply #887295 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Two years ago

Barring a more serious strain of covid, we should see things normalise next season as we continue this journey of 'living with it'.

When will next season start? Normal October time I hope.

Reply #887297 | Report this post

MRl  
Two years ago

The Sixers have introduced restrictions by sucking as a basketball organisation

Reply #887520 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

The average is only 4,536 per AusStadiums.

Perth have only had 5 home games this season. They still have 9 consecutive home games to finish the season. We saw last season that West Coast games don't affect Wildcats games.

Surely the Perth Army will bump up that average.

Last seasons average with covid was only 4,012.

Reply #887551 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

RAC Arena is limited to 50% capacity due to COVID.

Why is everyone insisting on pretending COVID is over?

Reply #887552 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

I don't know how they're defining 50% atm, but 6,800 per game would still push the league average in the upward direction

Reply #887553 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

They have more members than available seats, and tickets were released to the general public. So a lot of people are choosing not to go.

But my point was mostly about how ridiculous it is to suggest COVID is over, and has been over for some time.

Reply #887554 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

"RAC Arena is limited to 50% capacity due to COVID.
Why is everyone insisting on pretending COVID is over?"

Because they're not in WA?

Reply #887556 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

COVID isn't over anywhere. Victoria had 8,000 cases yesterday, 13 people are in the ICU. NSW had 20,000 cases and had 13 people on ventilators.

Reply #887558 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

You are correct Kobe but we are living with it. Like everything WA is 2 years behind.

Reply #887559 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

You're dying of it.

Reply #887562 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

It may not be over but people are choosing to move on.

Reply #887563 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Two years ago

People's perceptions of risk and the remaining COVID restrictions are what continue to affect NBL crowds.

e.g., AEC requires full vaccination for entry; people with COVID or close contacts thereof have to isolate and can't go to games; etc. Based on current new case rates and vaccination rates, that'd mean 10%-15% of the Adelaide population wouldn't have been able to get into Adelaide's home game last night. So I'd expect those restrictions alone, with current case rates, to be knocking AEC home crowds down by 900-1,400 people. That's before you consider how many people would rather not go to crowded places or won't go until they can attend without a mask.

On a related note, a local sporting club I'm involved with has kids who have yet to come to a single training session for the year. This club has been training 3 times a week since school started - 7 weeks! These kids have been excluded as close contacts for all of that time, due to multiple COVID positives at their schools or within their families. So the close contact isolation rules have had a huge impact on families with school kids in particular. That must be hurting 36ers' home crowds.

Until restrictions have gone altogether, don't expect crowds to recover to 2019 levels.

Reply #887564 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Two years ago

And headlines like these must make NBL owners worry:

"'Unaffordable' petrol, $7 coffees and ruined holiday plans: Welcome to the world of record fuel prices" (https://www.abc.net.au/news/)

Reply #887568 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

Kobe you need understand most people aren't dying of covid they are dying with Covid. If someone arrives in Hospital from a car accident, tests positive with Covid, and dies is added to the numbers. Covid had nothing to do with their death.

Not discounting that people are dying because of covid, but the numbers aren't a true reflection. Most also have comorbidities. World numbers are around 7% of people actually dying solely of covid.

Go hide in your bubble.

Reply #887578 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Kobe you need understand most people aren't dying of covid they are dying with Covid. If someone arrives in Hospital from a car accident, tests positive with Covid, and dies is added to the numbers.
This has never been true.

Most also have comorbidities.
So? That's how literally everything works. Doesn't mean COVID wasn't what killed them.

Reply #887579 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

You have alot to learn

Reply #887582 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

"Alot" isn't even a word.

Reply #887590 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:23 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754