Q Anon
Two years ago

Rumour: Pelligra to takeover 36ers

The rumour has been getting stronger and with The Advertiser detailing plans for The Dome the next step is take over ownership and move the team back to Findon

"An ageing 36ers stadium is set to be rejuvenated following a council decision to sell part of the land around it and lease the rest to an interstate development tycoon.
The potential $20 million investment was first aired late last year when developer Pelligra made an unsolicited bid to the council and then put forth plans in conjunction with the Charles Sturt Council."

The proposition was realised when the council on Monday voted to sell 5730 square metres, about 10 per cent, of Toogood Reserve for $30,000 and lease 90 per cent to the group that bought the stadium in 2021.

"We'll basically turn the arena area from three to 22 courts and it will be able to engage with a much larger section of the sporting community."

Mr Wren confirmed parking would be free at the stadium for all events.

Alongside the stadium revamp, Pelligra had committed to building a three-on-three basketball court superdome and show court, eight netball courts and four volleyball courts.

The netball courts will be home to western suburbs club Glanville.

Mr Wren hinted the 36ers stadium development was unlikely to be Pelligra group’s final foray into South Australian sports.

Multi-millionaire property tycoon and Pelligra chairman Ross Pelligra bought the Adelaide Giants baseball team in August last year and announced plans to build a stadium for his new team.

He said Pelligra was in the process of buying “a couple of other teams” and indicated the company was working with the Marion and Playford councils about other sporting facilities.

Topic #49947 | Report this topic

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

I don't see anything there that implies that they're specifically buying the 36ers or moving the team back to Findon. With 22 new courts I'd think that would make it harder to hold the seating for the 36ers game. But part of me would very much welcome the change. The fan experience has not been the same since we left.

Reply #889451 | Report this post

Silent Observer  
Two years ago

If they charge for parking at the Dome, I ain't going.

Reply #889452 | Report this post

JCK98  
Two years ago

I think the new courts are outside the current building.

7 quickly reported (just the news reader saying 7's understanding rather than a proper story) a couple nights ago that Pelligra bought the Lightning as well.

Reply #889456 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

I wonder where the space is for all this?

Seems like it's using most of the parking (otherwise empty) space that was used for 36ers games?

In which case, if the 36ers return where will people park? Will there be sufficient parking space for 7,000 people?

It’s not a spot people want to access via public transport...

Reply #889460 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Two years ago

Prefer the powerhouse but the public transport is just so much smoother/exists at the entertainment centre.

Reply #889461 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Clickbait headline?

Reply #889470 | Report this post

Ski 61  
Two years ago

The Powerhouse is a shithole in a shit spot. Ent Cent so much better in the city. If they want to be a 21st century team and actually attract people to games they need to stay at the Ent Cent

Reply #889472 | Report this post

Titan 30  
Two years ago

Lightning. Done deal.

Reply #889475 | Report this post

Uncle Dre  
Two years ago

Any owner an improvement on the current one

Reply #889479 | Report this post

Boba Fett  
Two years ago

JVG has shares that I bet he wants to sell.

Reply #889481 | Report this post

Hermann  
Two years ago

The homie domie to consolidate basketball.. 22 courts if correct that's just fenonable...was an completion date set..sixers to drive incredible basketball explosion.

Reply #889491 | Report this post

DennisRodmansHair  
Two years ago

Weren't the same conversations happening about a year ago?

A move back to Findon would be a huge backwards step. The convenience of getting to a central location is win for everyone. The last couple of season have been tough due to COVID and poor team performance but I would guess that if we were still out at Findon Mitch and the boys would be playing in front of the cheerleaders at this point of the season.

I've been a member for about 10 years, the last 3 at the entertainment centre. If they announced a move back to Findon I don't think Id renew.

Reply #889492 | Report this post

Nightwing  
Two years ago

Riverbank Stadium is dead. Borders are opening. AEC has no reason to discount their hire anymore.

36ers will move back to Findon. I remember plenty of people here complaining about the move to AEC and refusing to go if they did.

Can't win.

Reply #889496 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Two years ago

When the people that own / are buying the team own the stadium they will be playing at Findon

So many more commercial benefits to moving back along with the planned upgrades The Dome will be the best NBL/ WNBL facility in Australia.

Reply #889499 | Report this post

AJ16  
Last year

This proposal has now been lodged for assessment by the local council.

I hope it proceeds! The Powerhouse is looking very tired and dated.

Reply #931421 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

When the people that own / are buying the team own the stadium they will be playing at Findon

Are they still looking to buy the team and keeping Kelly on ice for a better price?

Reply #931445 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

It's at a point now where Findon would be too small capacity wise, they’d need to be upgrading it to 10.5k which wouldn’t be easy.

Reply #931449 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Pelligra can make more profit by operating the team out of their own stadium though.

Q Anon is this still the plan?

Reply #931463 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:41 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754