CoachGirl
Two years ago

LJ in NBL1

Will admit I was sceptical about whether Lauren could actually play internationally again. I know NBL1 is a LONG way from World Championship... but her skills, form and passion so far is literally a joy to watch. Even if the Opals use her for a few minutes each quarter, she offers so much more than the others in contention in that spot… interesting to watch what happens over coming weeks

Topic #49986 | Report this topic

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Yes I'm watching the goat with pleasure, early days but as you say she offers so much more.

Reply #890247 | Report this post

CoachGirl  
Two years ago

The fact she has travelled up on the bus with the team shows some commitment too. It's a long drive... especially on the way back

Reply #890249 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

29 & 14 and 3Q ain't done, damn. Really enjoy seeing her back on court.

Reply #890252 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

19 minutes, 34p, 15r, plus 47 and efficiently of 39.

Reply #890253 | Report this post

Reader  
Two years ago

Oh my goodness. Bring her back to the national team?

Reply #890255 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

The player Cambage will never be.

Reply #890256 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Easy fellas..., worst conference filled with no wnbl level bigs, no internationals, no n.t players and only 1 player who averaged more than 3 points in college.

Reply #890376 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Yes slug you are right, but it's just great to see her back on court and enjoying her self. One of my all time favourite players, male or female.

Reply #890377 | Report this post

retired  
Two years ago

With what the NSW NBL1 Comp has to offer LJ is going to be very good as no one would be good enough to stop her even at her age now.This competition is far behind the other states and Albury should win both the Mens and Womens comp in a canter because no other NSW team would be any good when it comes to the National playoffs.

Reply #890472 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

She would be serviceable for the opals playing 5-10 minutes a game no doubt but our big depth ain't the biggest problem, it’s the guard spots.

Current opals bigs

PF Magbegor-Smith
C George-Tolo

Jackson is not going to play pf at 40y.o, can she push out one of George or Tolo?, I have my doubts...

4 bigs at fiba level is more than enough imo although some coaches like to bring 5, sandy is one of those. Sandy is a fan of both Blicavs and Garbin as a 5th post option and given Magbegor also plays as a 5, she has never need a third centre.

Some tough decisions to make, alot of people are saying Maley should be the other pf option over Blicavs n Garbin but sandy has stated if she chose Maley, she would be playing on the perimeter which too me sounds stupid. Allen as a 3/4 like in the wnba another option.

The only way I see jackson making the opals is if there’s an injury to George or Tolo.
Bishop has not made camp lists and Scherf n Aokuso are inexperienced in the biggest of tournaments.

Reply #890475 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

If you watched the game she is a mile off Opals and that is how bad NBL1 East is.

Reply #890479 | Report this post

CoachGirl  
Two years ago

Ok, I'm not saying she would be a lock... just worth considering. Defensively, she is such a presence that she changes peoples shots, has always been a great rebounder and showed signs of pretty good form on offence. Defensively, she is potentially more mobile than George, who is undersized as well in the 5 spot… but could she play more than 15 minutes per game… yet to be seen. Her contribution to a team and the event can’t be under estimated.

Also, the league is not as strong as some of the others, but I would dispute some of the above assessments, including comments about college players… I can name plenty who averaged more than 3 points!

Reply #890484 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

She plays against hardly any bigs in the east conference.
Evans is the highest rated at newcastle but not in college yet.
West for sutherland is the only one who had an ok college career and is still,just a training player at Sydney.

Reply #890487 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Compare that to south conference.

Bishop-Casey
Scherf-kilsyth
Aokuso-ballarat
Griffin-Launceston
Garbin-frankston
Mckay-Bendigo
Ernst-Waverley
Strautmane-Ringwood
Froling-knox
Oliver-diamond valley
Pizzey-eltham
Andriulo-keilor

Reply #890490 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

Download the NBL1 app and go watch the game. Dominated a crap conference and has the foot speed and presence of a 40 year old past best player in the world. I'm happy she is playing but the above who says she is a dominant defensive presence who could change shots hasn’t watched this game. Welcome back LJ but this is as far as she will go

Reply #890491 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Two years ago

T watched her on kayo, and she was just tooo tall
(another ex champ, erin phillips, was confirmed to play central, but hasn't turned up)

Reply #890566 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:20 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754