Iter
Two years ago

3pt shot contact exaggeration

Getting sick of players exaggerating contact or faking it in their 3pt shot motion.

Tonight in last few minutes of JJ vs Melb the faked contact may have cost the JJs the game. On replay it was clearly not a foul.

If Roth didn't have a challenge we would have watched that play and the outcome would have been controversial or shameful.

Yet the flaying out of the legs to force contact on a shot is punishing good defence for the hype of a 4 pt play opportunity.

There are repeat offenders in our league.

It’s as bad as the flop to get a charge call. It should be a tech foul.

Topic #50019 | Report this topic

Kas  
Two years ago

But isn't it a natural part of a step-back 3?

Reply #890946 | Report this post

HighIQ  
Two years ago

Agreed !!!

Reply #890947 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Two years ago

That call could have gone either way. OP needs to chill

Reply #890949 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

I was at the game live and it was poor from both sides. Stadium was so loud my ears almost burst off. Happy it's going to 3 games.

Reply #890953 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

What a ridiculous thread, tech foul lol

Its a part of CGs normal shooting motion.

Reply #890957 | Report this post

Crackers65  
Two years ago

If that is Goulding's normal shooting action it is no wonder he didn’t shoot well last night. Kicking your legs out like that will always put you off balance.

Reply #890963 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Goulding does shoot fade aways like that, it's his action, as I previously said it was a bad call, that happens, JJs in the end we’re to good just.

Reply #890964 | Report this post

Iter  
Two years ago

You're missing the point of the thread if you think it was about this one shot in one game.

Cotton FOR EXAMPLE is a master of taking a balanced shoot, then throwing his legs out initiating contact and getting the bonus for a four point play.

I’m using the example to point out the fact that umpires are sucked in to giving fouls on legit defence because the shooter forces contact.

CG had plenty of room to land without falling. Defends didn’t enter his cylinder or take away his landing space yet the call was made coz he ended up on his arse.

You can’t tell me an excellent shooter like CG can’t take a jump shot without falling on his arse.

Reply #890967 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Watch the play immediately afterwards. Same shot, same spot from CG, same action

Occasionally they do kick their leg out unnaturally to try and draw a foul, I've seen Cotton do that, but it isn't what happened last night

Its an interesting call to make. The argument is that CG went outside his cylinder

So it seems, it's ok to jump forward on a jump shot (which some do to an unusual extent in their normal shooting motion), but it's not ok to unusually kick your legs out in your normal shooting motion
Cylinder principle reigns supreme

Makes it tough for guys like CG in the latter group, cos they can legally have their legs taken out if that's the right interpretation. Guess it happens rarely though

Reply #890969 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

I don't mind the call but you now need to call it the same from here on end. Cotton should need get the calls whilst still in the air.

Reply #891006 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:03 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754