Pasadena 72
Two years ago

NBL1 Central Power Rankings

With a week off for state champs next week and roughly a third of the season completed here's how I have the rankings right now. Interested in others thoughts.

1 - Woodville. Lost on the buzzer round 1 but barely challenged since. 50 point win over Forestville one of the most impressive I have seen in a long time. Whitmore has the right import combo and Humphries is one of the most versatile players in the league. Could this be the year Woodville finally break through for a title after a lot of promise in the Whitmore era.

2 - Forestville. One horrible result to Woodville aside this team has the most talent in the league and looked to put Sturt and Eastern away handily over the weekend. Will have too much size for a lot of teams once they get their chemistry, with DJ, Purchase and Mays a formidable front court and Doyle still the best Australian guard in the league.

3 - North. Undefeated but have had some fortune in their draw and haven’t faced Forestville yet. Imports appear solid but not world beaters going by numbers though they have had good contributions with Rathjen a solid pickup and a couple of young bench players scoring well. Will be interesting to see if they’re still around the mark by the half way point.

4 - Sturt. Lost to North early but seemed to have corrected course before running into a full strength Forestville. Have good balance with Daly and Spear plus Rigoni fitting in nicely. Haygood seems to be getting more comfortable as the weeks go on. Will be around the mark at the business end.

5 - South. Ninnis getting it done most weeks with his veteran savvy and experience. Lost to Woodville on the weekend but were very competitive. Smith and Starling the leagues leading scorers and best import duo still. If they can find more from the local contingent they’ll compete at the end of the season.

6 - Norwood. Some tight losses early but Ray Harding making a push for All Star 5. With their veterans plus solid import combination these guys will push for finals as they do every year. Andrew Webber will be better for the run after a year off and we can expect him to have a huge impact in the second half of the season.

7 - Southern. Had an interrupted start as they rely on u20s more than any other club. Olbrich showed on the weekend why he’s a 36ers DP with a huge game against Centrals and he sure has a bright future with his size and skill. Import combination seem to be finding their feet and with astute coach Hilbig at the helm expect Southern to coke home strong.

8 - West. Coach Maclean with some issues this year, again with only 1 impactful import and 1 who is coming off the bench. Shepard and De Santis keep them in most games but aren’t getting enough from others to win enough at the moment. Surprisingly uncompetitive against North on the weekend, some questions will need to be asked if they’re to turn it around.

9 - Centrals. A couple of narrow losses have them towards the bottom of the ladder but they’re a dangerous team with plenty of guys who can score on a given day. Experienced coach York will get these guys playing the right way and once they’re on the same page could upset some higher seeded teams. Dowdell showing what he can do when allowed to shine.

10 - Eastern. Here for now as they have been winless but Legan finally cleared to play and had 30+ on debut and along with Koop is probably the second best import combo behind South. Koop like Dowdell is showing what he’s capable of when not held back by a system. Expect these guys to be higher on the list next check in.

Topic #50056 | Report this topic

Pasadena 72  
Two years ago

Either I nailed it or no one cares about this league!

Reply #891870 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Two years ago

It's pretty spot on, with North and Woodville having asterisks on their records.

I've enjoyed the brief write ups. There doesn't seem to be as much interest this year generally though.

Reply #891878 | Report this post

Pasadena 72  
Two years ago

Is the import group a bit weaker than other years? Only the south guys seem to be putting up numbers.

North and Woodville are interesting. Hard to fault either so far.

Reply #891881 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Two years ago

Losing an import the caliber of Turnage definitely impacts the league - although in saying that, Norwood lucked into McBride who is extremely serviceable.

A number of imports hadn't played since Covid, and are still finding their feet. Not to mention we've already had the likes of Perkins and Kirksey get cut, and Rios "replaced".

North and Woodville have definitely been good, but they've also had some factors go their way which inflates their record. I think they'll finish 3rd and 5th/6th respectively.

Reply #891888 | Report this post

Pasadena 72  
Two years ago

Who else would you have in the 5?

Reply #891899 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Two years ago

South almost certainly in the 5 and around the same standard as North. Norwood might compete for 5th with Woodville.

Reply #891901 | Report this post

Pasadena 72  
Two years ago

I assume you have Forestville and Sturt top 2? I think North and Woodville could legitimately be better than Sturt.

Reply #891908 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Two years ago

Woodville got a good one in Humphries. And in South's situation it shows how bad Petty really was, Starling putting up some monster games.

Reply #891909 | Report this post

Hermann  
Two years ago

No respect for Bearcats.. slowly building with talented core young but gelling. Eagles look too loaded not not contest the big dance..weaving magic when it matters...shrew old foxy Andy.. cherry ripe when counts.

Reply #891911 | Report this post

Was15  
Two years ago

What I find interesting is that the comments that South and Eastern have possibly got the two best import groupings but are only ranked 5th and 10th. That begs the question, are imports who put up big numbers to the detriment of the rest of the team the way to go or do you find two good imports who can put up big numbers but embrace the team buy-in philosophy and sacrifice their stats for the betterment of the team.

From my perspective we need to consider how well a team plays as a team rather than be blinded by individual stats. From my perspective Sturt and North best fit that view so in my opinion will always be around the mark.

Reply #891912 | Report this post

The Big Duke  
Two years ago

Eastern second best import combo.. you're laughing!
Sturt and North have exceeded expectations to start the year, be interesting to see how they go as the season develops.
Johns makes that South team a different unit, hopefully he doesn't miss too many more games.

Reply #891922 | Report this post

Nightwing  
Two years ago

A competent coach does too. Saturday night without Ninnis was like watching Petty again.

Reply #891948 | Report this post

Esky68  
Two years ago

eh eastern only has 1 import atm

koop is a local technically and their second import is still not here

Reply #891978 | Report this post

Esky68  
Two years ago

that being said

not expecting that 2nd import to make them much better than what they are currently

Reply #891979 | Report this post

Interested  
Two years ago

Koop is officially an import nothing local about him from a league perspective. Ask Rojo he knows that now.

Reply #891993 | Report this post

Hermann  
Two years ago

Mavs had a second import and cut him for a non in town import.. doesn't sound like something the maveris would do.. pumpingbup new dude if going to be finals bounded... need strong competitive teams in all format to create....

Reply #892021 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

Hey Hermann how are West's doing?

Reply #892022 | Report this post

Hermann  
Two years ago

West cats are doing better mavs mate.. always a guarantee there... let the season unfold and then you know who the grinders are... won't be mavs..

Reply #892183 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

Haha Mavs... F**k who follows them. I'm just laughing at you clown

Reply #892185 | Report this post

Pasadena 72  
Two years ago

While the Mavs are on the rise I do t think they're quite the bench mark for Corey.

Reply #892206 | Report this post

Silent Observer  
Two years ago

It wouldn't surprise me if Mavs do what the Rockets did last year and have a big second half and sneak into the 5

Reply #893647 | Report this post

Wayville 74  
Two years ago

Is that mathematically possible? Do teams currently in the 5 need to basically drop 70% of the remaining games and Mavs win 80% of theirs?
Can't see it happening, Mavs just got over the line against a low budget Tigers team. By far the worst depth in the competition if their imports don't have big games each week.

Reply #893654 | Report this post

Silent Observer  
Two years ago

Maybe I was wrong, 4 ejected last night in the Mavs game.
No one talks about this league anymore.

Reply #894005 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

Because it's trash

Reply #894006 | Report this post

Nightwing  
Two years ago

Since Chelsea has left BSA they no longer bother promoting the League at all. Sorry I don't consider a couple of generic Social Media posts a week as promotion and neither does the public obviously. Very sad, after a promising first year of NBL1 to see how disinterested BSA Head Office has become at promoting the competition.

Reply #894007 | Report this post

Old Mate  
Two years ago

You're a fuckwit Sebastian.

Reply #894012 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

Old Mate, I'm so sorry the truth is unacceptable to you. But cool, call me names. I won’t post again because I’m scared now. Douche

Reply #894013 | Report this post

Easy As  
Two years ago

Night Wing, your love for Chelsea is admirable, but she left BSA in 2020 and wasn't working for them during season 1 of NBL1 last year. Scott Ninnis's wife Rebekah was marketing manager last season.

Reply #894014 | Report this post

Nightwing  
Two years ago

Yes she did. And then in what has happened a few times now, BSA paid her even more to come back on as a Sub Contractor to manage the promo of the League only. Aware of the failure of Ninnis in the role, another come and gone, but there's no question Chelsea, both as an employee and sub contracted did the best job promoting the league anyone has in decades.

Reply #894015 | Report this post

Old Mate  
Two years ago

Let me guess Sebastian, you got cut from a team and didn't quite make it and now have your grumpy pants on?

In a city of 1.5 million people, 120 of them get to play in the best possible competition in the entire state in one of the most even, competitive years of all time.

But your right of course because Daniel Johnson, Adam Doyle, Jack Purchase, Jeremy Smith, Alex Starling, Lachlan Olbrich, Jacob Rigoni, Sam Daly, James Legan and so on and so on are all trash?

My original post stands.

Reply #894016 | Report this post

Threat  
Two years ago

Old Mate needs a reality check I think. Mate it's great you think NBL1 Central is kind of a big deal, but it's really not.

Reply #894018 | Report this post

Old Mate  
Two years ago

I don't think it’s a big deal at all Threat but it’s also not trash.

Reply #894019 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

Old Mate I'm 57 years old! Even as an investigator you’re a douche. The league is trash and only just above NBL1 East (which is absolute trash). But hey cool. DJ is lazy and doesn’t want to leave Adelaide. The rest are has beens who never were and never will be. Other than DJ who is picking up beer money none of the rest are ever doing anything.

But hey I got cut from a team hahaha:) cute take

Reply #894025 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:00 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754