ME
Two years ago

36ers pulled off 'the steal of the freeagency ' - Cam Luke

Cam Luke tagged Liam Santamaria today in a tweet asking if 'the Adelaide 36ers have pulled off the steal of the off season so far'

Player agent Daniel Moldovan replied with a horny devil emoji.

So what player could they be talking about?

I've looked on Moldovan's business page, and the only player he represents that I am aware of that would be in the running is Aron Baynes

https://www.octagon.com/talent/basketball

Other names floating on the periphery who would qualify as big steals would be Thon Maker, Duop Reath, Brock Motum, Xavier Cooks.

Brock Motum was in talks with Adelaide last season but the two parties weren't able to come to an agreement.

A year older, and with waning court time, could Brock be the man?

Topic #50119 | Report this topic

Jimmyhooper15  
Two years ago

Probably motum coming back home

Reply #893141 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

I wouldn't get too excited yet about "steal of the FA period" the NBL Media often over hype signings massively, wait and see hopefully it's not the massive coup of re-signing Manny Malou or something.

One thing I just read that piqued my interest is Liam wrote an article about a young Aussie sharpshooter Jonah Antonio who played in the Czech Republic last season who is set to sign with an NBL team. Liam said despite being from Perth he's not going to the Wildcats but a team that is desperate for outside shooting which the team in question was missing this past season, sounds like could be Adelaide?

https://nbl.com.au/news/report-aussie-sharpshooter-nbl-bound

Reply #893142 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

A combination of Cam Luke and Liam Santamaria means this will be nothing more than boring league approved hype. Yawn.

Reply #893143 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Antonio according to tracker sort after nt cairns, breakers or hawks

Reply #893144 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Yeah I realized after I read it, 'so far' could mean anything. I expect to be a bit underwhelmed though

Reply #893145 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Geez getting my hopes up.

If they did get Motum, that'd explain the no-news about Bairstow

Reply #893150 | Report this post

Boba Fett  
Two years ago

Motum wouldn't be a steal in anyway shape or form.

Reply #893153 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Two years ago

Eh... Larry State Media is the worst!

Will be underwhelming almost guaranteed.

Reply #893155 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Moneke maybe.

Reply #893156 | Report this post

NP  
Two years ago

Moneke is an import yeah?

Reply #893159 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

I think he was waiting for citizenship like cotton.

Reply #893160 | Report this post

NP  
Two years ago

He's hardly a steal.

Reply #893161 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

The man won mvp of the champions league, what more do you want euroleague mvp? Nba all star?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oueiKnr8sRI

Reply #893162 | Report this post

Saint23  
Two years ago

are we thinking guard or foward

Reply #893163 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

I have a feeling it could be Baynes...

Reply #893164 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Wasn't Chima Moneke the guy who signed with SEM Phoenix and then backed out of his contract? Not sure I would be crowing too much about winning MVP of a weak sauce league like the BCL it's sub EuroCup standard let alone Euroleague or NBA. The leading scorer in the BCL this season was Levi Randolph an average import with the Breakers the season before last.

Reply #893165 | Report this post

Saint23  
Two years ago

i think he manager cam oliver to

Reply #893166 | Report this post

a5ian nbl fan  
Two years ago

daniel deleted that tweet maybe it's not he's

Reply #893167 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

Poached Finn Diesel?
Scored Waardenburg or one of the other sort after kids returning from NCAA?

Hopefully it is a decent signing that can contribute and not some over hyped bench warmer.

Reply #893169 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

I lament that I get sucked in by the nbl hype machine out of the fact they play on my hopes and dreams...

You start to go "imagine if…" and then realise it's the 36ers and you have to adjust expectations.

Saying “steal” usually connotes taking someone from under another’s nose, opposed to landing a big signing from overseas.

“So far” lowers the bar considerably.

Reath would be a steal I guess? Maybe Maker given Perth are giving real hard look.
Delany and Cooks can probably rule out the 36ers ever being in contention.

Likes of Baynes, Motum, Ware etc would just be “big signings”.

Where would Xavier Munford land in this? A steal?

Reply #893170 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

Agreed KET unless someone like NZ thought they had Waardenburg in the bag and the Sixers got pen to paper?

Reply #893171 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

Is Vic Law a free agent?

Reply #893172 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

Yes Vic Law is currently still a free agent.

Reply #893173 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

BCL is the third European league, still a very good league.

If it is Moneke, I don't believe it is they have really opened up the purse strings. He’d be on a minimum of 20g US net, plus car and accommodation a month.

How about Nic Kay for a guess.

Reply #893175 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

If it is vic Law, he's had a season in Brisbane and one in Perth and neither team made play offs, it might not be the coup you want.

Reply #893176 | Report this post

Pablo Escobar  
Two years ago

Well if it's 'free agency' then it's someone who has played already in the league. That should sort a few guesses out.

Reply #893177 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Two years ago

As above, I take steal to mean signing a player who was expected to sign with someone else. Like in the past when we got Rob Rose and Trimmingham. Or it means someone who's signalled their intentions to come home and an unexpected team signs them over the big spending club's.
Machado springs to mind, MVP candidate in first few seasons, linked to bigger club's yet resigned with Cairns. But after an injury riddled year, could Adelaide put an offer to him that gets him here. Next would be someone like Law if we put a ridiculous offer that Perth wouldn't match. Would imagine guys like Baynes or Motum would pick a team that would be looking to finish their career close to home with family or at least contend. A basket case like Adelaide would be a major red flag.
But the NBL hype machine is ridiculous. Like Brisbane saying they were making a big announcement and it ending up being that they were keeping Sobey.

Reply #893178 | Report this post

Saint23  
Two years ago

i weckon its cleveland the bullets were looking at him

Reply #893180 | Report this post

Diop Kick  
Two years ago

Law wouldn't surprise me, he had a good season but it still didn't work our for Perth. They might be happy to try something different

Reply #893181 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

Cleveland signing in Adelaide would be a steal, every team in the league would have at least felt him out.

Reply #893182 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Cleveland and Franks. Brisbane just won't spend money. Hawks don’t have the same influence without goorg.

Reply #893184 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

Yeah Franks would be another that every team in the league has at least spoken to his agent at least once.
Hopefully neither of those two end up @ United or Sydney next season.

Reply #893185 | Report this post

Saint23  
Two years ago

franks would be a good replacement for cook if cook leaves

Reply #893186 | Report this post

Tornado  
Two years ago

I'm putting my money on Law...hard to pry someone away from Perth but maybe he has a good relationship with CJ from their year together in Brisbane?

Reply #893189 | Report this post

Elphinkiller  
Two years ago

KET, Perth are not looking at Thon Maker, they looked at him for about 10 mins last season when he was available and went no thanks.

Reply #893191 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Are you more of an insider than Liam Santamaria?

Reply #893192 | Report this post

Kings  
Two years ago

Baynes on a 1yr deal worth 500K with NBA out clause. Baynes is close with CJ.

Reply #893195 | Report this post

Ratty Mussell  
Two years ago

I agree that its Law

Reply #893197 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Baynes was pretty badly injured, after two years of IH would that be the best idea?

Reply #893198 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

500k, more than that.

Reply #893199 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

Baynes is settled in Brisbane with kids. He's not going to Adelaide when he could be earning the same here.

Reply #893204 | Report this post

Shano76  
Two years ago

Without any knowledge or info, I'd think Law or Cleveland. Would be happy with either to be honest.

Reply #893205 | Report this post

NP  
Two years ago

It's Cleveland and in talks with Robert Franks

Reply #893213 | Report this post

Reader  
Two years ago

Latest update from NBL Market Watch: https://twitter.com/NBL/status/1532631752644399104

Adelaide leading the race to sign Cleveland and Franks.

Reply #893215 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

Pretty good effort to sign both of them if they can pull it off

Reply #893216 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

If the 36ers pull it off then well done to them.

Sixers are big spenders in the nbl like Perth, Sydney and Melbourne. They just keep signing the wrong players.

Reply #893219 | Report this post

NP  
Two years ago

Getting Cleveland and Franks would still require a starting PG and or defensive Centre and a backup PG and or defensive Centre. Hopefully got enough money left over for that.

Reply #893224 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

Mitch McCarron can play the point. Sunday plays a bit on the ball too.

Depends if the Sixers re-sign Tad Dufelmeier.

Reply #893226 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

C DJ/Def C or Bairstow?
F Franks/Harris/Galloway
F Cleveland/Drmic
G MM/Dech
G Import/Backup PG or Duffelmeier?

Reply #893227 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Two years ago

Mitch McCarron can play the point? By that logic I can play Mozart on the piano. But we're both shit at what we do.
One of the worst signings ever based on salary vs production.

Reply #893228 | Report this post

NP  
Two years ago

My point is they need to spend on 1 more player. Either a starting PG/SG or centre.

Reply #893230 | Report this post

Bol  
Two years ago

Nice signings if they can pull it off

Reply #893235 | Report this post

Kings  
Two years ago

McCarron/Duffelmeier
Dech/Import
Cleveland/Drmic
Franks/Harris/Galloway
DJ/Hodgson

Reply #893236 | Report this post

Beantown  
Two years ago

That team looks decent KET. Only problem really is that it lacks shooting from the backcourt. Needs a good PG who can also shoot.

Still has the problem of finding minutes to keep both Mitch and Sunday happy. Would probably prefer to see Sunday start if we have a good PG, as he seems a better 3pt shooter than Mitch. Could see Mitch not being happy with that though.

Reply #893237 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Mitch McCarron can play the point? By that logic I can play Mozart on the piano. But we're both shit at what we do.
One of the worst signings ever based on salary vs production.

and that's being kind. I hope he saves his money, learning from his pandemic experience where he had to request a handout from the league, because the next deal won't be as good.

Reply #893243 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Presumably the third year of McCarron's deal is likely a player option so if I were the team I would be doing everything possible next season to entice him not to pick it up so hopefully we bring him off the bench next season. If Duf comes back play McCarron as his back up.

Reply #893244 | Report this post

Observer  
Two years ago

Be nice to get Cleveland Law or Franks and a pg of a Ware /Trimble type I be happy man ,might see Sixers winning games with better imports we have had for ages.
We need two high calibre imports to get Sixers back into finals .

Reply #893248 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Two years ago

MM's contract is looking similar to John Walls and Westbrooks. Pity we can't attach a 1st rounder with him to move him on. I long for the day there's no fingerprints from the JVG era. It's not really Mitch's fault, who wouldn't sign a 3 year deal for ridiculous money. Imo, Adelaide would be best served signing a young import point out of college who's cheaper than an experienced player and hope they strike gold because there's no way we can really compete with the big boys with McCarron starting. And there's no freaking way if Tad is the starter as suggested, his ceiling is a backup.

Reply #893252 | Report this post

NP  
Two years ago

Yep get an import PG and hope DJ, Franks, Galloway and Bairstow can hold up the front court defensively

Reply #893253 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

If they can pull it off, it would be even better if they could pull off another fairly high level point guard import, even at the expense of depth.

Reply #893256 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

I am really not sure what they saw with Mitch McCarron that made them want three years of him. Probably buying into the 'championship point guard' line far too much. Sure, on a team with other creators he can be that but he should never have been the main guy

Reply #893260 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Money making Mitch.

Reply #893261 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

"I am really not sure what they saw with Mitch McCarron that made them want three years of him."

Mitch probably isn't one who appeals to casual fans, but coaches understand the importance of things like pick-up points, disrupting opposition offences, defending ball-screens, rebounding from the guard spot, pushing the ball to force early rotations, and reading opposition defences then moving the ball to good spots to attack it from.

Reply #893275 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

I still don't think any of this Franks + Cleveland stuff is legit. Remember the Randolph/Randle/Ware supposed signings were all intentionally leaked too last season and not one of them came here in fact we never even did sign a third import.

These new negotiations with the Sixers have been publicly leaked, yet again likely to drive up their price elsewhere. It also looks good to the fanbase like they're seriously trying to improve the team.

Reply #893280 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Money making Mitch.

Mitch "4K" McCarron.

Reply #893282 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

I think McCarron is a perfect role player on a championship level team, but perhaps doesnt do enough to lift an average team into elite status.

Reply #893285 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

"I think McCarron is a perfect role player on a championship level team, but perhaps doesnt do enough to lift an average team into elite status."

Yep, and Adelaide misread the room on locking him in as opposeed to a player that legitimately could lift the team.

Reply #893290 | Report this post

NP  
Two years ago

Rumour a few clubs looking at Devondrick Walker including Adelaide. If so where's the starting PF/C and PG?

Reply #893312 | Report this post

Jonno  
Two years ago

Excited if the Cleveland and Franks rumor's come off and happy to have them in Adelaide

I guess the next thing is do you use McCarron as our Noton and put a scoring combo guard next ala Trimble (or as close to Cotton as we can find to him) and start something like

McCarron
Import (Trimble)
Cleveland
Franks
Johnson

Or my preference, do we use him as a versatile but undersized SG/SF which is where i think he played his best basketball when at Cairns and go more a scoring import PG ala Casper Ware or Sykes next to him

Import (Sykes)
Cleveland
McCarron
Franks
Johnson

Reply #893318 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

"Adelaide misread the room on locking him in as opposed to a player that legitimately could lift the team."

They got the McCarron signing right, they got the Hannahs signing wrong. Nail the right guard alongside him and the backcourt is top shelf.

Reply #893319 | Report this post

Shano76  
Two years ago

9 news suggesting Cleveland is done, Frank's has an offer and there’s a third import from another club they’re after- I don’t know if they mentioned the name of the 3rd guy though

Reply #893320 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

It's always possible that it’s to push the price up, but realistic enough of a possibility to hypothesise it.

Should they manage to score Cleveland and Franks, a cautionary tale would be that just because they played well on one nbl team doesn’t mean they will on another.

With that being said, Adelaide’s ability and track record of bringing in imports has been awful, so going after Cleveland and Franks is a smart move. If they pull it off, that’d be big.

I think the McCarron talk is an over reaction to be honest - yeah perhaps he is an awkward fit as a guard, and maybe got a huge pay day for someone that wasn’t going to move the ticker on his own.

36ers had so many issues - new coach, wrong balance, two imports that were third level imports at best, one of their highest paid players (arguably their "top import" pay type guy) in Humphries didn’t really play.

In that context, all the guards/wings had to do was focus on MM and take him out of the game.

Some tweaks, more talent and MM could look a whole lot better. I see him similar to what we had with Adam Gibson, we just need that punch that Ervin provided.

If they can get a PG, even similarish to Randle, to go with MM/Cleveland/Franks/DJ and with Drmic, Dech coming off the bench, I think MM could still be that rock that we expected him to be.

As an aside - would love to see Drmic try to emulate his game on Cattalini more, see if he can use his body to be more impactful

Reply #893324 | Report this post

NP  
Two years ago

Would Xavier Munford fit with MM, Cleveland, Franks and DJ

Reply #893326 | Report this post

Jonno  
Two years ago

Yea given our recent track record of picking imports I'm happy to try guys who have done well in the NBL at other teams

You can guarantee Cleveland and Franks will be better than our previous imports

Reply #893330 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

The third guy is Munford. If it turns out to be true, that's an impressive import trio regardless of how they fit together.

Reply #893332 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

C Johnson/
F Franks/Harris/Galloway
F Cleveland/Drmic
G Munford/Dech
G McCarron

So would that have Mitch at PG then?

Reply #893336 | Report this post

Shano76  
Two years ago

Those three would be a definite upgrade on this year! Wonder what's left over for a big guy or two. Could be an exciting lineup if it all works out.

Reply #893337 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

Munford is a good partner for McCarron, both are combo guards who can be effective on or off the ball, but aren't 35 minute per game point guards.

Reply #893356 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

If Mumford and MM can both spend time at PG, that wouldn't be at issue though.

Keeping in mind we still want Dech to get a decent 25-30 minutes but from the bench. Not much point having someone like Dech and only throwing him in for 10-20mins a game.

At least Dech can play SG, SG and Drmic might spend time between SF and (undersized) PF.

The issue they’d then face is that backup C spot where you need some height and defence, with probably limited money to spend

Reply #893357 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Dech can play SG/SF

Reply #893358 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

"If Mumford and MM can both spend time at PG, that wouldn't be at issue though."

That's right, that's why he would be a good partner for McCarron.

Reply #893370 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:11 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754