Blagoj Veleski
Two years ago

NBL1 Tryouts

I want to tryout for NBL1 teams.
Hello guys, I'm coming in Sydney to study, this January so I was wondering what is the procedure for trying out and making a NBL1 team. And how many imports are allowed.
I played professionally here in North Macedonia in the Top and the 2nd division.
I just turned 25, here is my highlights for a few season back when I played in the second division here.
Let me know what you think and if you can answer some of my questions it would be greatly appreciated.
Highlights link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gupWMublNmQ

Topic #50282 | Report this topic

Anon  
Two years ago

NBL1 is 2 imports per team. I'm not sure you will be able to be paid as an import if you are coming to Australia on a study visa. Import player visa is different and will require a person to sponsor you.

Whilst you are probably good enough to make an NBL1 team from your vid, I'm not sure there would be any clubs looking to use you as 1 of their import spots.
Maybe a Div2 BigV club from Melb. Many of the NBL1 imports are actually Australian NBL players that take up a restricted spot as they play more than 12 minutes per game in the NBL.

Reply #896155 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Two years ago

An interesting scenario.

Since you're here to study already, you can legally work a limited number of hours on your visa.

The question would revolve around whether the NBL1 rules would allow you to play as an unrestricted player (equivalent to a local).

The NBL has the next star program for NBA draft prospects. Could a similar program be used to allow foreign students to play NBL1? I think it would add to an NBL1 league, not detract from it, and broaden your experience of studying in this country.

The issue will be the rules, but rules can be altered. I’d like to see this allowed on a trial basis, with a view to allowing any NBL1 club and their associates to act as a student sponsor.

Reply #896212 | Report this post

Esky68  
Two years ago

If you were able to play as a local you'd most likely be good enough for a NBL1 spot

As an import tho absolutely no way

Reply #896419 | Report this post

Blagoj Veleski  
Two years ago

Thank you for giving me informations and sharing you opinion. I still think I'm good enough to make an import spot though :).
On the flip note I was more curious about if there are open tryouts, or how do I go about contacting coaches and working out for their teams and if there is a NBL1 team in Sydney.
Also for the guy that said it would be better if I joined BigV Div2 club, whats the difference between the two leagues?
And what would be the best way to go if I want to play in the NBL one day?

Reply #896547 | Report this post

An1234  
Two years ago

Best chance to play NBL is play high level Europe, NBA or NCAA D1. There are local guys with big resumes that can't get a foot in the door

Reply #896578 | Report this post

Pablo Escobar  
Two years ago

https://nbl1.com.au/east

Reply #896580 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

What part of Sydney are you going to live in, nbl1 east is a very weak conference so you should be able to make it.

Reply #896587 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:25 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754