koberulz
Two years ago

SHOCK UPDATE: Liz Cambage Quits Basketball Team

Sparks Agree to Contract Divorce with Liz Cambage

The Los Angeles Sparks announced today the team has agreed to a contract divorce with center Liz Cambage.

"It is with support that we share Liz Cambage's decision to terminate her contract with the organization," Sparks Managing Partner Eric Holoman said.

Topic #50295 | Report this topic

Bigboy  
Two years ago

Thanks for the update, 10 seconds later.

back to not caring again.

Reply #896423 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Two years ago

Shocked at this shocking news. Should probably go to Turkmenistan and jump in that big fire pit, back to where she came from

Reply #896426 | Report this post

Crackers65  
Two years ago

Who cares?

Reply #896430 | Report this post

curtley  
Two years ago

Unless the Sparks didn't believe the details of the BA review into her 'Nigeria Incident' then why wasn't she stood down then?

Reply #896432 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

Yeah publicly they backed her at the time of that, but I wouldnt be surprised if behind the scenes some in the team weren't happy.

I really hope she gets the help she clearly needs. Before anyone jumps in, no I'm not using mental health as an excuse I'm saying she deserves to be dumped from the team AND she needs to get her head sorted.

Reply #896433 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

"I'm living my best life. I’m supported, I’m protected on a level that the Opals or the Australian team never gave to me," she told the ABC, adding she has “zero” interest in representing her country in this year’s World Cup, to be held in Sydney.

“My heart lies with those who want to protect me and those who want me to be the best I can be, and I never felt that at the Opals at all. So yeah I’m good.”

I guess the Sparks can be added to the list of people who haven't supported and protected Liz the way she needs to be

Someday she'll find somebody who supports and respects her. Poor thing

Reply #896434 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

Found this development strange, especially after starting to live her best life and being supported in LA.

Did some digging on various Reddit threads and most locals are saying she gave bugger all effort on court and looked like she simply didn't care, had been going on for a while. One can assume the coach has given her an edict to shape up or ship out as the Sparks are under pressure to perform, and Liz did the Liz thing and choofed off.

Can’t wait to read how Liz plays it off though.

Reply #896436 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Has Australia produced the most petulant, soft, uncommitted WNBA player AND the most petulant, soft, uncommitted NBA player?

Surely there's many in both leagues who share these traits, but in terms of talented players at All Star level, these two stand out from the crowd I would've thought?

(At least this is true with the NBA- is there anyone else similar to Cambage in WNBA?)

Talk about giving Australia a bad name

Reply #896437 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Don't forget tennis..

Reply #896439 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Has Australia produced the most petulant, soft, uncommitted WNBA player AND the most petulant, soft, uncommitted NBA player?

Talk about giving Australia a bad name

Maybe it's a Melbourne/Victoria issue since they both grew up there when teenagers. :P

Reply #896440 | Report this post

TR  
Two years ago

Guess her next stop will be OnlyFans. Income streams are drying up.

Reply #896441 | Report this post

LLKK  
Two years ago

That era was so preoccupied with winning national medals than putting entitled people in their place, this is the outcome

Reply #896443 | Report this post

Esky68  
Two years ago

Wow that's crazy news!

Think id rather watch paint dry

Reply #896445 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

She has had onlyfans for sometime already

Reply #896446 | Report this post

Shotblocker  
Two years ago

"Did some digging on various Reddit threads and most locals are saying she gave bugger all effort on court and looked like she simply didn't care, had been going on for a while. One can assume the coach has given her an edict to shape up or ship out as the Sparks are under pressure to perform, and Liz did the Liz thing and choofed off."

But that's how she has always been,since she was a junior, but always pulled the “ race card” when anyone pointed out her lazy bad attitude and weaknesses

Can’t do that now, and after her “I feel so supported at Sparks” unlike how she claimed Australian and the opals didn’t support her, she can no longer pull that card either, so yes agree with Ben, be very entertaining to see who she blames now .

She needs to just give basketball away and keep doing her “only fans” that level of “admiration” is more suited to her personality

Reply #896447 | Report this post

Bol  
Two years ago

@Ben

Apparently the Sparks organization are a bunch of racists

Reply #896448 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Two years ago

"Has Australia produced the most petulant, soft, uncommitted WNBA player AND the most petulant, soft, uncommitted NBA player?"

That's probably true... but I think that the fact that the rest of our players are outstanding team mates and hard workers, regardless of their level talent, means that OzHoops isn't defined by these two.

Reply #896449 | Report this post

Bullets  
Two years ago

What a drug f**ked, primadonna.
Her response will be full of excuses and lack accountability like it always does.
Really hope this is the last time we hear anything about her.

Reply #896451 | Report this post

Dog 55  
Two years ago

Maybe we could all take a vow that none of us will ever post something about her again? Much better we talk about the players like Patty who rep us with such dignity and passion.

Reply #896453 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

"Has Australia produced the most petulant, soft, uncommitted WNBA player AND the most petulant, soft, uncommitted NBA player?"

I actually wonder if at least part of it isn't the fact the fact that they have never fit within the type of cultural identity we expect from our sports stars at least contributes to it. Like, it doesn't make them what they are, but with the continual expectations put upon them to be like the Patty Mills' of Australia (as an example) drives them further down the path they've ended up in than would have been the case in, say, the US.

Reply #896454 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Maybe we could all take a vow that none of us will ever post something about her again?

The evidence says that people here love talking about her. Look at all the new threads about her in the last couple of years alone.

Reply #896455 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

I'm with Dog55.

Most people post about her because it gives them delight to bag her, not saying she doesn’t deserve it but it’s mundane.

Reply #896456 | Report this post

Old Coach  
Two years ago

read this thread expecting some great laughs and was not disappointed

Reply #896457 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

it is definitely disappointing that it is overshadowing LJs return to Opals play

Reply #896460 | Report this post

LLKK  
Two years ago

Watching the recent video on twitter via news.com.au, noticed she said the last two times she had covid she was on deaths door.
Basically sums up her level of exaggeration etc

Reply #896461 | Report this post

Kanga  
Two years ago

The only shock about this story is that it has been described as a shock.

Reply #896462 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

"Most people post about her because it gives them delight to bag her, not saying she doesn't deserve it but it’s mundane."

Ditto.

Reply #896463 | Report this post

Bol  
Two years ago

@Kanga

I took it as delightful sarcasm at its best by KR in the title

Reply #896464 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

Just reading the latest updated news release I also am shocked that she just up and walked out of a locker room lol And the Sparks have cited quote "Interim head coach Fred Williams said Cambage struggled with conditioning and facing double and triple-team match-ups, according to the Los Angeles Times." Has anyone ever put Liz and conditioning in the same sentence before lol They also say chemistry issues dating back too late May.

May 1 she was reported saying how loved and supported she was in LA, that didn't take too long to capitulate :)

This is comedy gold!

Reply #896468 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

She's incredibly entitled. I was reading that she apparently wanted to use retired jersey numbers and when she couldn't get any of those she wanted jersey numbers of teammates! It takes someone with a real chip on their shoulder to do that.

As for the Simmons-Cambage comparison, it's legitimate. Look at the sister, Liv Simmons as well. This is what happens when you have rare talents on the Australian landscape, who have been given the privileged position and yet subscribe to all the victimhood mantras. There's nothing more privileged than a privileged person who thinks they're a perpetual victim and Simmons and Cambage definitely share that in common.

Reply #896470 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

be very entertaining to see who she blames now .

Since she can't blame race on this one it will be the patriarchy. Book it.

Reply #896476 | Report this post

S1L3NC3R83  
Two years ago

Patriarchy and being "fat-shamed" will be the excuse of choice.

Reply #896485 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

She grew up without a father.
Kyrigos grew up without a father.
Every person I know that grew up without a father....

Reply #896486 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

and being "fat-shamed"

Ah yep that one too.

Reply #896496 | Report this post

Old Coach  
Two years ago

Weedy Slug I think you are onto something.....now that I think about others I know.....

Reply #896530 | Report this post

Frog39  
Two years ago

Growing up without a primary caregiver, or even a caregiver who is there but either abusive, addicted, or emotionally absent often have very negative affects on children. Not just dads. It's probably even worse when growing up without a mother.

If there aren't other healthy people around to fill that void, there are generally a lot of issues. Couple that with being 6ft 9, half black, possibly spoilt by her mother to compensate for the lack of dual parenting - pretty easy to see where the issues begin.

Liz has always had issues and unfortunately it seems she hasn't sought the right help to get past them. She definitely displays some narcissistic behaviour. Same with Nick.

On a side not, as for the patriarchy, not sure she's going to blame that but you're deluded if you think we don't live in a patriarchal society. Please.

Reply #896543 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:40 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754