pattymillsMVP
Two years ago

Delly signs at Sacramento Kings

As per the Kings social media, Delly has been picked up.

Topic #50305 | Report this topic

LV  
Two years ago

Good on him. Great to see these Boomers legends getting opportunities. Baynesy on court, Delly back to the NBA

Could be a silver lining for United. As good as Delly was, he's not worth 700k. If that rumour is correct about his salary, United could good more for their dollars by signing an import. United's Aussie group (plus Hukporti) is still strong, with 3 good imports they will contend

Reply #896622 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Humphries/Hukporti
*/Peatling/Okwera
*/Newley/Maluach
CG/
*/Ili/Triplett

The import guard needs to be a combo guard

Am I missing anyone.

Wonder if they give Peatling and Okwera the keys to the 4 spot. Bit risky for multiple reasons

Think United will lack depth somewhere, no matter which direction they go, but given Vickerman's history of developing players that might not turn out to be an issue. Eg maybe Maluach or Okwera become contributors which seems a question mark at this stage

Reply #896623 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Two years ago

So United fans, was it worth losing McCarron to get Delly for just 1 season? I am curious if you any of you wish you could turn back time.

Reply #896626 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

Love Delly. Didn't think he’d make it back, but good on him. Hope he’s on a guaranteed contract. Can see him being a Udonis-type play, great mentor and locker room presence but will only be played sparingly.

Reply #896627 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Sacramento has a young team including 3 rookies and 2 second year players. Very few veterans

Delly will teach those guys how to be professionals.

And yeah, they would've preferred McCarron for another 3 than Delly for 1. But no one expected Delly to get back to the NBA. Great effort by him to do it. And possibly, like many of these things, right place and right time with Mike Brown and a situation that could use a veteran leader

Reply #896628 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Two years ago

This is great for Delly and realistically, Melbourne United as well. Unlike NBA clubs, unfortunately NBL clubs can't splash out big cash on culture players, so great to see a win:win for MU and the Kings.

Reply #896629 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Two years ago

This is great for Delly and realistically, Melbourne United as well. Unlike NBA clubs, unfortunately NBL clubs can't splash out big cash on culture players, so great to see a win:win for MU and the Kings.

Reply #896630 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

Just read this on the Sacremento Bee. Delly not a lock to stick with the Kings just yet.

The Kings announced the signing via social media following weeks of speculation. Terms of the agreement were not disclosed, but veteran NBA correspondent Marc Stein reported it is a one-year deal that will give Dellavedova an opportunity to make Sacramento's roster in training camp.

Read more at: https://www.sacbee.com/sports/nba/sacramento-kings/article263970981.html#storylink=cpy

Reply #896632 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Oh right. That makes it even harder for United to put a roster together

With the marquee player rule, presumably Delly was marquee so his entire salary didn't count against the cap

Since United has lost their marquee, can they now nominate their highest paid Aussie (probably Goulding), as a marquee?

Reply #896633 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Sorry poor phrasing, I'm meaning to say, only part of his salary counted against cap

Reply #896634 | Report this post

Ballman  
Two years ago

NBA clubs should have to buy out his contract. Dont understand how transfers in other sports are a thing but here in NBL - you just walk out of a contract and the club that built the roster with you in it get nothing.

Reply #896635 | Report this post

Kas  
Two years ago

WOW just wow - congrats to Delly.

Melb United's roster last year was built around great Australian talent + a next star + 1 import

Now they have lost 3 Australian starters from last year's team - WOW

We need some talented imports!!

Reply #896636 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

With the marquee player rule, presumably Delly was marquee so his entire salary didn't count against the cap

According to KR there is no salary cap in the NBL anymore. Not sure how that statement could possibly be true otherwise why is there a marquee player rule?

Anyway good for United if this pans out, not sure I'd take Marc Stein's word for it about being a non-guaranteed training deal though. I find it hard to imagine Delly would firstly accept a make good training camp deal and secondly the terrible position it would put United in as Delly's contract with United will remain in effect until Delly makes the Kings opening day roster.

That would destroy United's first month of the season having to wait to see what happens with Delly and perhaps longer depending on when he gets back and in uniform. I just can't see Delly putting United in a position like that that could screw up the team's season.

Reply #896637 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

I dont think anyone saw him making it back to the NBA so this is a huge testament to his work ethic and the credibility he still has in the league. NBA GMs know they're going to get a certain level of intensity from Delly and it's that intensity that made him a champion. Couldn't be happier for him. As far as the NBL goes it is further evidence that you can bounce back to the NBA from here, which only strengthens our draw for top line Aussie and import talent.

Reply #896638 | Report this post

rjd  
Two years ago

Delly has certainly lifted his game well above where it was just prior to arriving at United. His jump shot was broken, now it looks solid.

It's a good sign for the NBL, another player making the step from NBL to NBA. In some ways, this is even more powerful for the league that it is someone stepping *back* into the NBA, not just a pathway for prospects. Might this be used to attract players who were recently cut from NBA lineups?

Also good to see a player who committed to a FIBA window make the NBA.

Reply #896640 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Two years ago

Mike Brown loves Delly - glad to see them reconnect. It must be noted though that this is a partially-guaranteed contract, could he get cut midseason and find himself returning to United for the stretch run?

Reply #896641 | Report this post

Saint23  
Two years ago

nba out clause is there still a transfer fee?

Reply #896643 | Report this post

Daly  
Two years ago

List clogger.

Reply #896645 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Two years ago

Props to Delly. I really thought he was washed at the NBA/International level. And similar to LVs comment, I think United can get better value for money

Reply #896647 | Report this post

rjd  
Two years ago

It's interesting to see these two Boomers legends have unexpected career resurgences so late in their careers. Both Delly and Baynes don't really have that sheer talent, that pretty game, but both have that hard-nosed mentality and strong work ethic to lift themselves well beyond expectations. You can see why both are regarded as culture guys.

Reply #896651 | Report this post

orbit  
Two years ago

Great guy with great attitude but really?
So many finer athletes out there!
I'll have to look away when he airballs his first 3 attempt or worse - a free throw!
Good one for the kids as work hard & never give up on your dreams.

Reply #896653 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Is Mike Brown already this bereft of ideas? Good luck Sacramento.

Reply #896655 | Report this post

Ostriker  
Two years ago

I think he'll be in Melbourne by the time the season starts. No way he makes the roster if it's non-guaranteed. Sacramento are actually trying to be good this season.

Reply #896656 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Doesn't sound like he'll be returning to United this season regardless.

"I feel like I've got unfinished business here, so hopefully I can return down the track and help United win a championship. I will definitely be following the team and supporting from afar this season."

https://nbl.com.au/news/delly-nba-bound-with-sacramento

Reply #896657 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

It's a veteran culture signing. As someone stated above, similar to Udonis Haslem at Miami

Reply #896659 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Two years ago

"According to KR there is no salary cap in the NBL anymore"

In fairness to koberulz, they're right insofar as the NBL does not limit what any team can spend on player salaries. There's only a (luxury) tax-free threshold, which the NBL calls its 'salary cap', and a salary floor.

They should really call the 'cap' the luxury tax threshold or something similar. That would both avoid this sort of confusion and reduce the stigma a lot of people associate with teams spending above the tax-free threshold. Spending 'above the cap' sounds like you've broken a rule, but 'having to pay some luxury tax' doesn't.

Reply #896852 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

It's alright I knew KR was full of shit but being the pedant that he is I thought maybe the NBL may have changed the name of the salary cap or something and perhaps I missed that.

Reply #896854 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:45 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754