Baller23
Two years ago

So is the Magic of Hawthorn over or not?

I am perplexed:
I hear the mighty Hawthorn Magic are planning to run try outs?
It's a big risk for kids to try out there and still not be included in VJBL fixtures. No senior pathway either.

I also hear numbers are huge at nearby clubs? Hawthorn coaches are popping up on association websites everywhere including ours. Is there much left to salvage?
Hawthorn’s most faithful are boasting about their legal team battling Basketball Victoria. It’s been in the paper, it’s been on the news, but always framed as though BV just tossed Magic aside for no reason.

It seems this is not over and the average Joe will be footing the bill. Again.

Topic #50337 | Report this topic

Sebastian  
Two years ago

Let it go

Reply #897294 | Report this post

Baller23  
Two years ago

I just don't want to pay for it Seb.

Reply #897295 | Report this post

LC  
Two years ago

Trying out to play in which competition? Will not be in the VJBL so why bother?

Reply #897296 | Report this post

BigD  
Two years ago

Well their last letter to members on the petition was that they're taking legal action against BV for not allowing them to play.

So I guess they’re banking on winning that and being allowed back in.

Reply #897297 | Report this post

Ethics101  
Two years ago

Are the parents also going to build a stadium they can train at too?

After the mess at Hawthorn , are venues going to rent courts to a group of parents, without any security?

And what are the fees going to be , around $1500-2000 plus a season .

Just more total drama , reaction ! Time to face reality

Reply #897299 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

The speed with which the group of parents went to litigation makes me dubious that it's the kids’ passion for the game that’s driving this.

Seems more like bruised parental egos or ambitions.

Reply #897301 | Report this post

Ethics101  
Two years ago

Just more elitism

Reply #897304 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Why not direct the anger towards those running the show at hawthorn...

Reply #897305 | Report this post

Old Coach  
Two years ago

Spot on hoopie.
All the same venues, refs, coaches etc are still available, albeit under the banner of other clubs. So the capacity for kids to play is still the same ... parents will just have to pay for new uniforms but probably most other clubs are cheaper than hawthorn were anyway.

Reply #897320 | Report this post

LC  
Two years ago

It's time to build a bridge.

Cheaper (and better?) alternatives elsewhere who do not have the significant financial burden Hawthorn created for themselves.

Reply #897323 | Report this post

Captain88  
Two years ago

Don't think they're going to get very far beating the dead horse. Head of comps at BV is camberwell coach's brother.

Reply #897445 | Report this post

Baller23  
Two years ago

You don't really think Camberwell have influence over BV’s decision to keep or not keep Hawthorn Magic? Do you? Surely the decision is purely in the interest of the bigger picture?

Reply #897451 | Report this post

Captain88  
Two years ago

No I don't, however BV isn't going to reinstate Hawthorn just because some parents want it to happen. Hawthorn is gone and Camberwell has slid right in to provide a better alternative. I wasn't saying that Camberwell held any sway over the situation at all just that all sides are going to be known inside and out.

Reply #897531 | Report this post

Asthetic  
Two years ago

BV lost the legal proceedings apparently.
Club survives.

Reply #897541 | Report this post

Kanga  
Two years ago

Really, what proceedings?

Reply #897542 | Report this post

Baller23  
Two years ago

So now what?

Reply #897544 | Report this post

Hoopin’ in the burbs  
Two years ago

Club could not possibly survive. Legal process win or otherwise. There is nothing left.

Reply #897545 | Report this post

Ethics101  
Two years ago

@ Kanga - Well seeing the meeting between BV and Hawthorn is scheduled for next week, not sure that a result is possible at this point in time , as it has not happened.

Just more drama - from Hawthorn Magic (tragic) - or is this fact!???? Proof would be good !!!!

Reply #897546 | Report this post

Ethics101  
Two years ago

Sorry @ Asthetic

Reply #897547 | Report this post

Baller23  
Two years ago

So a few now saying Hawthorn are back. I feel like this isn't going to be pretty.

Reply #897554 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

Isn't the issue whether Hawthorn MAGIC comes back?

Hawthorn senior comps continue, and domestic clubs moved to Camberwell and won’t move back.

Reply #897555 | Report this post

Baller23  
Two years ago

I also assume this means kids don't get a free pass to leave in droves anymore? Hawthorn kids wanting leave will end up trapped. Low team kids in other clubs will be relieved!

Reply #897557 | Report this post

Relaxed coach  
Two years ago

I think it's a very difficult situation for all involved. However, if I was a parent and my child was part of Hawthorn magic I think I would want to read the Constitution of the current and proposed association before I signed up my kid and paid off previously accumulated debt.

If a parent does not have voting rights as a member of the Association I think I might not want to be paying off the debt.

Reply #897565 | Report this post

Kanga  
Two years ago

Good news for BV and BA would be that there won't be negative publicity associated with a public legal proceeding and being dragged through the media!

Reply #897569 | Report this post

Relaxed coach  
Two years ago

From BV yesterday
Basketball Victoria (BV) refers to previous communications that Basketball Hawthorn (BH) would not be entering teams into the VJBL 2022/2023 Season.

Due to threats of Supreme Court litigation from several BH members known as the "Magic Project Group" (MPG) and due to clear undertakings from the MPG that it will assume responsibility for and management of Basketball Hawthorn (subject to a proper BH constitutional election process), BV has now entered into negotiations with the MPG.

Assuming a Basketball Hawthorn Board is properly elected, the most likely outcome will be that the MPG will assume responsibility for the financial and administrative management of BH. The MPG intends to enter teams from Hawthorn Magic into the 2022/2023 VJBL competition, subject to satisfying the VJBL Rules of Entry.

A consequence of the above is that the VJBL rules (Rule 16.5) in relation to “Permission to Train” and “Clearances” will apply to all Hawthorn Magic players currently registered and competing in the Junior Magic VJBL 2021/2022 Program.

Basketball Victoria considers costly and distracting litigation is not in any party's best interests, and certainly not in the best interests of basketball in Boroondara or Victoria.

We will continue to update the community as soon as more information is available.

For association related enquiries (only) please contact:
[email protected]

For any direct enquiries for potential 2022/23 Basketball Hawthorn VJBL players contact: [email protected]

Reply #897669 | Report this post

William 23  
Two years ago

Or otherwords we group of parents with way to much money where going to prevent every other kid in victoria from playing while we held this up in court for the next 6-12 months while we through our toys out of the pram

Reply #897671 | Report this post

Turnover  
Two years ago

If the rumours are correct and Hawthorn haven't pay competition fees to VJBL / BV, are all championships that they won, returned for not being a 'financial member' of the competition?
Would happen in heaps of other sports. It has even happened that teams are removed from finals series etc for not being 'financial'.

BV have some major questions to answer on how this was allowed..... sleeping at the wheel, thinking the sport is all rosie?

Reply #897673 | Report this post

Hoopin’ in the burbs  
Two years ago

Look at Hawthorn putting the participation of the state at risk for the sake of ummm, participation?

Reply #897674 | Report this post

William 23  
Two years ago

Hoopin' in the burbs - I am hoping that was a joke, "participation"

Hawthorn to Camberwell Dragons 1.4KM
Hawthorn to Blackburn 8.8 Km
Hawthorn to Bulleen 8.1 Km
Hawthorn to Nunawading 12 KM
this is without Collingwood, Mlebourne, Coburg, Doncaster all within 30 minutes

Putting the state at risk for themselves I think not the kids

Reply #897677 | Report this post

SM  
Two years ago

Basketball Victoria did the right thing here in agreeing to allow Magic to re-enter the competition. Best thing for all parties.

Hawthorn now have an uphill battle to keep the club afloat. No domestic competition, no senior program, and an uncertain future with some top-level talent confirmed leaving the club.

It'll be a rocky few years for them...

Reply #897678 | Report this post

Hoopin’ in the burbs  
Two years ago

Hey William, perhaps sarcasm isn't for everyone?

They threatened to halt all VJBL for the state while this was resolved. I’d call that pretty selfish. As you rightly point out the geography had options available to these kids. But this group was prepared to have the whole state miss out to win this battle.

Reply #897680 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

In solidarity every opponent Hawthorn face should forfeit.

While money and the threat of legal action has forced re-entry it cannot compel any team to compete against them on the floor.

Reply #897690 | Report this post

Baller23  
Two years ago

Interesting suggestion.
If they really did threaten to impact the competition across the state I am sure there are not a lot of support options left for the people holding the keys to Hawthorn basketball. I bet there will be quite a few very happy parties in the Magic camp and an awful lot of unhappy campers too. Seems my initial question was answered though. Magic is limping along, but appears to have a heart beat.

Reply #897694 | Report this post

Jichael Mordan  
Two years ago

What's the problem with Hawthorn being resurrected and how do you draw the conclusion it would have impacted other clubs and/or the competition? BV and the clubs would have continued regardless of the Hawthorn position, my take is that BV have be/are partially responsible for this as well, allowing a club to be unfinancial is lunacy and to take this approach now is mind blowing, is there something they’ve done that Hawthorn threatened them with??? The debt to BV is $125k, that’s not significant but without a junior comp and a diminishing seniors comp there needs to be either a generous donation from a wealthy family (hint hint) or the parents are going to be charged more. My child plays for Magic and I feel for the kids and the coaches, this isn’t their fault and we must just remember our opinions mean stuff all at the end of the day.

Reply #897710 | Report this post

Ethics101  
Two years ago

If Hawthorn had taken BV to the Supreme Court (which is what they were threatening) - it would have halted the VJBL season, as the case would need to be heard first. The court system is backlogged because of COVID!

If an Association isn't submitting financials and it's Board and GM are telling BV that everything is fine, how are they to know the level of debt is! Yes, there are requirements with BV constitution that are required to be met.

But Hawthorn Board are the ones who didn't submit financials and the financials that had been produced were not reflecting the true debt position in the first place and the incorrect accounting process where used and debit was being hidden by the GM , funds were being used in other sectors of basketball within the HBA, ie domestic funds , being used to fully fund Big V and Magic. Auditors were asked to changing the phrasing of their reports.

The BLAME lies with the Hawthorn Board and original GM - not all members were informed of what was going on , especially when the Domestic Clubs first raised concerns, and that was well before the Clubs moved!

So , I would be looking at those Board members who's kids play Magic and start asking them questions, on why the Truth was not being told! Hawthorn have claimed that it is a community based Club , but they managed the revenue stream as thou it was privately owned company. Community funds are meant to be managed in a transparent manor , and used for the purposed they were paid for by members, not used for "so called" "Elite" programs for the few!

Reply #897712 | Report this post

Kanga  
Two years ago

Guys, let go. Let the kids play basketball wherever and let the parents who are willing to stump up $ to stump up. Am sure those who were involved have learned lessons and feel terrible ... and we all have learned lessons during the past few years in the context of a once in a generation pandemic. And those who were not involved, sometimes it's best to learn from the errors of others. Clubs should be more fiscally responsible, make sure they can cover their costs (in the year they incur them!!) and make sure they are applying their money to all of the relevant constituents of the club they are involved in - after all, we just want kids of all capabilities to play and get a fair shot at improving themselves. Best moments for me in bball have included when a kid half way through the year gets a basket - priceless.

By that way, in 20 years, no one will care two hoots if your kid played for Vic, 1s, 2s etc - what they will care about is whether they are a solid person and playing basketball in a team environment can help that.

Hey, in summary … chill, let kids play bball, enjoy life and move on.

Reply #897719 | Report this post

Fox trot  
Two years ago

Will this see Oakleigh return? Precedence has been set by BV

Reply #897722 | Report this post

Kanga  
Two years ago

Anyone know who was elected to be on the board at Hawthorn? Would like to know before try-outs and there doesn't seem to have been any announcements.

Reply #898818 | Report this post

Kanga  
Two years ago

Hawthorn have released a series of Q&As. Which is good. One Q&A not answered - who is in the board? Another is - who will the coaches be? I suggest they add those to the list, as that will be helpful.

Reply #899751 | Report this post

Mr Dizzy  
Two years ago

New Basketball Hawthorn Board is listed on their website.
https://www.hawthornbasketball.com.au/contact-us/

Reply #899758 | Report this post

Kanga  
Two years ago

That's great, thanks. Good luck to them.

Reply #899764 | Report this post

Ethics101  
Two years ago

On socials Hawthorn are asking for additional players, especially in the girls' teams. Under 14 girls only had 16 players turn up for tryouts.

Reply #901761 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:27 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754