Anon
Two years ago

Boomers to Play Iran in Bendigo

Boomers are playing a 1 off game in Iran on August 29th.
Tickets go on sale on Thursday to BV members and to the general public on Friday.

Nick Kay will suit up for the boomers

Topic #50339 | Report this topic

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Mccarron + Kay, I wonder who else...

Reply #897308 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Playing Bahrain on the 25th in manama, Khalifa sport city stadium.

Reply #897309 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

I assume Maker isn't then?

Reply #897310 | Report this post

Saint23  
Two years ago

who hasnt played for the Boomers?

Reply #897311 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

I'd like to see a few new guys with some vets.

Mccarron - Wmw
Sobey - Vasiljevic
Creek - Travers - Galloway
Kay - Pinder - Galloway
Humphries - Froling

Baynes would be good, but unlikely.

Reply #897313 | Report this post

LC  
Two years ago

NBL1 finals likely to dictate who is available.

Reply #897319 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

With due respect and admiration of Nick Kay, if he and McCarron are the headliners - moreso if McCarron is a headliner, but anyway - then we're probably looking at a pretty average Boomers team indeed. They'll be good enough to get the job done though.

"who hasnt played for the Boomers?"

Yeah, the Boomers are like the social team that runs nothing but fill-ins at this stage. I might just walk laps around the coaching staff wearing green and gold and see if it's enough to get a run.

Reply #897321 | Report this post

curtley  
Two years ago

No offence, but back in the 80s did the Boomers used to roll out any old scrubbers for games like this?

I seem to remember Gaze playing at every opportunity. Granted today Gaze would be an NBA player, there probably needs to be a look at how these games can be send-offs for guys who had legit international careers for a while (Barlow, Newley, Jawai) and introducing guys like Proctor, McDowell-White etc.

Reply #897329 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

My first thoughts were that surely the players have had enough?

Reply #897330 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

Back in the 80s we sometimes had scrubbers in our best team!

Reply #897331 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

The Boomers used to play qualifiers once every two years from memory, and maybe an exhibition here and there. Now we have qualifiers once every three months - often during the NBA season. It's no surprise to me that we aren't running our A team, or even our NBL A team in these games. I don't blame Basketball Australia for sending our dregs, or some of our top guys for sleeping on these games. It just is what it is. It's led to some real scrubs donning the uniform but anyone knows there's a difference between a Boomer and "A BOOMER". The first sort is your Jason Cadees, who might get an extra hoot in commentary from Liam Santamaria for playing in some obscure Sino-Australia tour in 2010. The other type of Boomer has some silverware on the wall.

Reply #897332 | Report this post

Kings fan  
Two years ago

On the basis that none of the above posters are Messrs Gaze Bogut or Mills it's pretty disrespectful tbh .
Whoever we put on court is generally fit for purpose and gets the job done with pride and spirit .
Different grade teams for different tournaments makes a huge amount of sense .
They are our Boomers and l’ll be backing them 100%

Reply #897334 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

"The first sort is your Jason Cadees, who might get an extra hoot in commentary from Liam Santamaria for playing in some obscure Sino-Australia tour in 2010. The other type of Boomer has some silverware on the wall. "

Except Jason Cadee has some Boomers silverware on his wall.

Reply #897335 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Yeah... Commonwealth games. lol.

"On the basis that none of the above posters are Messrs Gaze Bogut or Mills it's pretty disrespectful tbh .
Whoever we put on court is generally fit for purpose and gets the job done with pride and spirit .
Different grade teams for different tournaments makes a huge amount of sense .
They are our Boomers and l'll be backing them 100%

"

Well obviously I count all of those guys. I just think theres a distinction between Patty Mills and Wani Swaka Lo Buluk

Reply #897336 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

Every 2 years we used to play NZ to see who won the right to represent Oceania at the World Championships and Olympics. We continually won those until Smyth took the worst balanced team ever. But back then other than Longley we had no NBA stars and our NBL players would lineup for the chance to pull on the green and gold.

It's only now that we are apart of Asia and the new qualifying format that we are now playing very poor opponents regularly

Reply #897337 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

For me, a Boomer has played either a world cup or Olympic games. I respect the service of anyone who has played for Australia and the strides they've made to take us to those tournaments but there is a clear difference in quality between Boomers A and Boomers B. Thats just my personal distinction. Other people can call Todd Blanchfield a Boomer if it makes them happy.

Reply #897338 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

I think my issue with it is it artificially inflates certain players. Kyle Adnam was a Boomer. You've got some fairly cringe commentators dropping the B word on players who just aren't that great. It's all a bit on the nose for me. Being a Boomer is a thing of distinction to me. I have a hard time reconciling that half of the league now can call themselves that. Maybe I grew up in a different era when getting that jersey was as close to the NBA as one could get and as such, was prized like gold. I wouldn't take the label away from these guys or deride them for it but I do feel that it's a title that has been used to grant unearned status. A Boomer, to me, goes toe-to-toe with Team USA, Spain, Lithuania, Argentina. Theyre not the guys we send out to take care of Bahrain and Iran. I think my biggest issue with it though is Naff commentators dropping the B bomb

Reply #897339 | Report this post

curtley  
Two years ago

Ben Simmons still not a boomer

Reply #897341 | Report this post

Frogmanbaby  
Two years ago

All valid points above, I'm just happy to watch any basketball atm given how long ago the NBL/NBA seasons ended. Hell, I even watched the 3x3 Comm games and you know you're a tragic when you look forward to seeing Wagstaff and Hire play against Trinidad & Tobago!

Reply #897347 | Report this post

Saint23  
Two years ago

can JLA play for the Boomers

Reply #897348 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Some players make boomers teams that most of us punters think don't deserve it but certainly since Lemanis have never let us down, the bevo side earlier this season being a classic example, were not supposed to beat Japan in Japan but did it easy. The Asian championship team as well. These players have all done remarkably well and certainly better than most the commentary around hear.

Reply #897350 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Well the Boomers have an exceptional culture and program that filters down from the experienced core, the coaching, and onto first timers who may never compete at anything more than a qualifier. Definitely respect for the fact that these guys come in and do the job. I haven't seen a Boomers team at any level since Lemanis show anything less than complete commitment to the duty. But I just dont think X or Y average player being a Boomer should be spruiked by commentators to make them sound better than they are seeing as half the league has had the privilege. We're lucky to have so many guys willing to put their hand up. It's a testament to the esteem that the national team is held in. But let's not pretend that Wani Swaka or Kyle Adnam are in our top 12-24 players or among the best we have at the position. That's what I think spruiking them as Boomers the way Santamaria does, does. It might be a meaningless quibble but I find it jarring. It's like you wouldn't hear of Travis Trice as a member of Team USA in regular commentary because it's only half true. There's a clear distinction between the team he played for and the one that takes the court in meaningful competition.

Reply #897351 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Absolutely spot on.

To borrow a term from the football codes that is used to distinguish the type of international representation achieved we should consider a player such as Cadee and the like to not have earned a "full cap".

Reply #897354 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

I just think "Boomer" should mean "an elite Australian player" not "yeah, somewhere in the better half of the league".

Reply #897356 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

The problem with NBL telecasts is they have hype men in place of real broadcasters so good luck with that.

Reply #897357 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

I definitely the lament the lack of basketball globally having a similar approach to soccer with how they represent their nations

Reply #897360 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

Anyone who has represented Australia in an official FIBA tournament is a Boomer. The upgrade of that is being an Olympic or World Cup Boomer, which is another echelon again.

Reply #897361 | Report this post

Saint23  
Two years ago

Makur Maker?

Reply #897460 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Some good news and some bad,

Team selected is

Todd Blanchfield
Angus Brandt
Sam Froling
Rory Hawke
Nick Kay
Mitch McCarron
Alex Mudronja
Mitch Norton
Alex Toohey
Luke Travers
Rhys Vague
Dejan Vasiljevic

Trouble is with Toohey and Hawke selections, it appears Aus + nz have withdrawn from u18 asia cup at the same time because of the location (Iran) which could mean not qualyfying for the u19 WC next year.

Reply #897468 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

So random with who plays.

Break related perhaps given the sheer amount of Asia games lately?

Kay/Brandt in; Maker out seems a fair substitute.

MM, Travers, DJ, Froling to do a fair bit of carrying otherwise.

Reply #897469 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Mccarron - Norton - Mudronja
Vasiljevic - Hawke
Travers - Blanchfield - Toohey
Kay - Vague
Froling - Brandt

Reply #897470 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:46 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754