Zodiac
Two years ago

Oklahoma City Thunder vs Adelaide 36ers

Game starts Friday 11am AEDT live on Kayo Freebies, nbl.com.au and the NBL App.

Can the 36ers do it again?

Topic #50473 | Report this topic

Crazy8  
Two years ago

OKC a lot weaker than Suns, and Adelaide match up well since OKC don't have any legit bigs.

Can see 36ers winning again personally

Reply #900548 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

I think it's the opposite, it’s easier against star studded teams than weaker NBA teams - less stars and younger so those players will put more in and more likely to play properly.

Reply #900552 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

And those shooting stats won't be repeated

Reply #900553 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Let's hope they aren't repeated or else the 36ers are going to have to go import shopping again for sure.

Reply #900554 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

If they do pull it off I can't wait for the n00bs to again disregard a Sixers victory as "embarrassing for the NBA" with no credit at all assigned to the NBL. Sigh, can't win even when you do.

Reply #900556 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

If DJ isn't playing will be tough for Adelaide, especially with their being no element of surprise now. They have a good roster though, so should still be a decent game.

Reply #900557 | Report this post

Fugazi88  
Two years ago

OKC coming off a back to back, their bench is full of young experienced players. 36ers could seriously win this.

Reply #900559 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

A pessimist but a realist, I think when your NBL teams losing 9/10, you're probably not going 2-0.

But what’s important is Adelaide are competitive and provide value as a preseason game to NBA sides.

In the future I think it’d be good to have an NBL Cup which doesn’t count towards the regular season but is played in the US prior/during NBAxNBL games so that NBL sides can #1 show off their talent in front of scouts in the US and #2 give the sides experience against NBA teams and be able to show off their talents.

I feel like that’d work both as a marketing opportunity to legitimise the NBL but also help attract stars to the NBL that will see it as a good place to be seen, amongst the other benefits of a great lifestyle, English speaking country, stable decent pay etc.

Reply #900560 | Report this post

Mat B  
Two years ago

DJ not playing which limits the offensive options.
If 36's stay with 15 they've done well

Reply #900561 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

With in 15 in the first quarter would be good. Soto is horrible.

Reply #900562 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

Adelaide couldn't miss anything in Phoenix. They couldn't hit anything in Q1 in OKC!

Reply #900563 | Report this post

CG404  
Two years ago

Are the 36ers tanking to keep their imports? Haha

Reply #900564 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

OKC on fire. Adelaide getting their own medicine

Reply #900565 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Gaze sitting next to JVG.

Reply #900566 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

How bad is the DJ injury?

Hopefully perfectly fine for next week

Reply #900567 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

He was doing running and shooting drills in the warm-up and looked to be moving fine.

Reply #900568 | Report this post

Crazy8  
Two years ago

Tanking to keep the imports is a good call haha.

Was worried about them coming back with 4 less players.

What did DJ do anyway? Did it happen in the first game? Noticed he didn't play much (if at all) in the second half

Reply #900569 | Report this post

Mat B  
Two years ago

@crazy8

He tweaked his ankle against Phoenix.

Reply #900570 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

What's the chances of pulling Bairstow out of retirement and replacing Acouth

Reply #900571 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Gaze sitting next to JVG.

Hmmm, what is JvG up to?

Reply #900572 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

He's there to take credit if Adelaide wins, and to be able to blame someone else for getting rid of him if they lose.

Reply #900573 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Thank your sir for the perfectly answered response.

Reply #900574 | Report this post

Mat B  
Two years ago

OKC playing outstanding defense

Reply #900575 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Two years ago

Just looking at the stats but is that worse case scenario. We drop the game and the imports play will again.

Reply #900579 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Unfortunately that looked a bit more realistic. Still we made history pulling off that surprise win against the Suns and I bet we take even more out of that thumping from OKC ahead of the start of our NBL season.

Reply #900584 | Report this post

twenty four  
Two years ago

According to a large amount of 36ers fans on facebook, if Sotto had played more they probably would've won this game. Too many crocodile players. Must be true.

Reply #900585 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Two years ago

Randall still had a solid game.

Well done to him, hopefully he brings that form to the season.

I don't think he will get poached on one superb game.

Reply #900586 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

And back to reality

Reply #900587 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

DJ is too big a loss to still be competitive with an NBA team when there are no other quality big men on the roster.

Reply #900588 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

Back to earth for Adelaide there. Still a very successful trip for them, but as someone else mentioned above, playing against a young hungry team with regular NBA minutes up for grabs still, this was always going to be harder. Also they're a few games into their pre season rather than a few days into training camp as the Suns were.

This trip will definitely have done the team well and nobody will care about the loss in a few years and only ever remember the win, despite this game more accurately reflecting the difference in quality.

Reply #900589 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

"And back to reality"

Seems like a bit of a snide take here. Yeah, Adelaide beat the Suns with a completely unlikely shooting display. They also lost to OKC with a terrible and unlikely shooting display and the loss of their starting big man, and the only quality big the team has. Which one is reality?

The answer: It's somewhere in the middle.

Reply #900590 | Report this post

Mat B  
Two years ago

Well said ME. Completely agree.
We saw two polar opposite performances.
DJ's absence was telling in terms of reducing the offensive first, and more significantly, second options, and it changed the way okc woukdve otherwise defended (to some degree)

Notwithstanding, a great excercise for Adelaide which will do their chemistry and culture a world of good.

As a Melbourne fan, I'm hyped for a string 36's this season

Reply #900592 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

The game went pretty much as expected tbh.

Nobody thinks that an NBL side is competitively talented to an NBA side. But when you've got 4 or 5 players that can compete on the same level as the other teams 9-12, and you go and shoot the absolute lights out, you can win. The other 9/10 times the team with every player on par or better than your best will end up winning easily as you’d expect them to.

If the 36ers keep the team together, they should hopefully see this as a successful trip on and off the court and sets a higher tone and level which hopefully we see translate into success in NBL games.

The challenge from here is rest and jet lag so that they come in with momentum not fatigue.

Reply #900593 | Report this post

twenty four  
Two years ago

Are the 36's similar to the 36ers?

Reply #900594 | Report this post

Mat B  
Two years ago

"Are the 36's similar to the 36ers?"

Sounds the same so yeah. :)

Reply #900595 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Too busy eating a Parma to care, amiright?

Reply #900597 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

DJ didn't play late in the Suns win so I think people put to much weight on that when they get spanked by 33. Even if they had a normal shooting night they are still losing. All the planets aligned against the Suns and as an Australian it was very cool. But too many people got carried away with it

Reply #900607 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

You can't put too much weight on DJ missing, he is such a good offensive player. Sure, the Sixers hit some ridiculous one-on-one threes and tough drives after DJ went out to keep their lead, but they got into a winning position with him scoring 15 in 18 minutes! No way they do that without him for a full game.

I don't think anyone is saying if DJ played today they win, their oppo got as hot as they did on Monday, but it meant they didn't really have a chance.

Reply #900608 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

" But too many people got carried away with it"

Who did?

It has all been pretty reasonable

Reply #900619 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

If Adelaide played a full season in the NBA you'd have far more games like this one than the phoenix game. While it may be "somewhere in the middle" that's only true by a degree. An average loss of just under 30 instead of just over.

Adelaide didn't have DJ? OKC didn't have a handful of their rotation players including their best player.

I'm not saying this to shit on the Sixers. They did a great job to take advantage of what they were presented with in Phoenix and should be Hella proud. But the OKC game definitely shows a more realistic gap between the teams.

Reply #900621 | Report this post

Pinch  
Two years ago

Talk of Randall getting left in the states due to shitty attitude and zero commitment at training.

Reply #900628 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Two years ago

Oh please, what is your source.

Reply #900630 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

I think if you're a 1.7 million dollar team and you are 28 points on average worse than a 260 million dollar team you're probably getting a whole lot of bang for your buck.

I don't think anyone reasonably thinks the NBL is anywhere near par with the NBA. But I think the signs of competitiveness are heartening and show a continued improvement in the league. If we have 5-7 players on a team who can make an NBA team work for their money then Australian basketball is in pretty good shape.

Not to do all the "shoudda coudda wouddas" but on an NBL court, with NBL rules and an NBL game time - ie, the conditions our teams are built for - these games are much closer again. The NBA not only has superior talent in these circumstances - a fact no one would question - but they also have the ultimate in home court advantages.

Anyway, I am happy with how the Sixers represented the league in these games. Taking the W against Phoenix was massive and put the league even further on the map. And having seen the OKC game, it was a bad shooting display and DJ away from being at least respectable on the scoreline. The league looks to be heading in the right direction and the NBLXNBA series provides a great yearly barometer for where it is going.

Reply #900639 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Two years ago

The only thing we really know for sure about Craig Randall is that he will keep jacking it up
1 game 37 points and the other 27 plus 8 assists like some kinda NBA player.

Reply #900666 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

I think the top 3-4 players (on average) on each team in the top 6 or so leagues in the world are more or less equal to the 10 through 17 roster spots on an NBA team and for the most part the difference is opportunity and perceived potential.

The far bigger difference is between those groups and the top 3-4 players on an NBA team.

Adelaide did great, but again trying to use results in these games for anything aside from a bit of feel good buzz is pointless as they're just practice games.

Reply #900667 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

The 36ers have arrived back in Adelaide and Randall says a few NBA teams are interested in him.

Reply #900836 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Hmmm crap.

Reply #900837 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Two years ago

Nine tv news ran the story, last night, from Adelaide Airport -
'Randall admits interest from several NBA teams.' they told us.

Reply #900873 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Good to know you're still watching television Camel.

Reply #900923 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:44 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754