Dunkman
Two years ago

Hawks v breakers.

To finish of an eventful weekend of basketball with a good Monday evening game. Apart from some bad rule interpretations , soft calls and Brisbane being so over estimated it's been great.
Hawks are competing hard but outside Froling, Harvey don’t have much going for them, even Harvey would want to start dropping a few more threes.
Breakers have been very good, love what WMW is bringing to the team and the imports are doing better than expected. Loe has been a revaluation and I’m really liking how the coach is managing the team and refs.
NZ by close to twenty.

Topic #50513 | Report this topic

Johnson14  
Two years ago

The Hawks look like getting Peyton Siva as import replacement.

Reply #901675 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

Cam Gliddon has passed his pre-game physical and will be suited up and good to go.

NZ can hopefully back up from the game on Saturday against SE Melbourne and grab another win on the road especially with the Hawks down an Import.

Reply #901684 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

NZ up 19 with 3:30 to go in the first half

Reply #901700 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

If JJs are everyone's second team, then Breakers must be close behind. Fun to watch, unselfish, very deep, winning, ...

Reply #901701 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

With some of the looks NZ have missed the past 2 mins the Hawks are lucky not to be down 30

Reply #901702 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Two years ago

Absolutely love NZ and what Maor has done so far. They really are like Tassie 2.0 - just play hard and everyone's always looking to make the team play.

Reply #901703 | Report this post

Derider  
Two years ago

It's sad seeing the Hawks so hopeless. The last two seasons felt like they were building up to something great, so watching it all come apart so abruptly is very disappointing. Goorjian really should have stuck around one more year. It kind of feels like he abandoned ship halfway through a project. Jackomas is clearly out of his depth and recruitment has been shocking. Jrob may have been able to paper over some of the cracks, but now he’s being replaced by... Peyton Siva??? It’s a joke. Maybe we win another 2 or 3 games if Harvey plays a couple of blinders, but we’ll finish last by a long way. Such a shame.

Reply #901704 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

Breakers look like they're enjoying their basketball and playing for Mody.
Guys look like they know their roles yet have some freedom to make plays.
Under Shamir it seemed like two or three guys could make a play and everyone else was scared to be banished to the bench.

Reply #901705 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Goorg, great coach that he is don't stay around if there is no money, again it’s his right to chase top dollar. The hawks suck money out and wealthy businesses people don’t like losing it. I still can’t believe they didn’t take the Ball group ownership a few seasons ago.

How many of the hawks team would make the kings list, possibly two. Nice to see hawks at least having a go in this quarter.

Reply #901707 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Love Pardon's energy

Reply #901710 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Breakers in Auckland on Thursday and back in Cairns Sunday, it's hardly a fair go after the last few seasons
It’s great to see another team play team first, I’m looking forward to NZ progress this season.
Illawarra got there name on spoon already.

Reply #901711 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

If I were running the Hawks, with Siva on board I'd be using Harvey off the bench, start King, and replace Deng with Mathiang.

Reply #901716 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Crowd 2,208

Reply #901723 | Report this post

Yup  
Two years ago

I cringe every time Deng touches the ball...

I really love NZ's import bigs Pardon and Brantley, they a lil bit old school…

And when I look them up they aren’t that big…

Reply #901724 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

NZ have serious depth of talent. 6 in double figures, two others with 7 and 9. Brown Jr and Abercrombie to return

Those 2nd and 4th quarters were brutal.

I don't think Siva will save this Hawks team.

Reply #901729 | Report this post

Mat B  
Two years ago

Derider
"It's sad seeing the Hawks so hopeless. The last two seasons felt like they were building up to something great, so watching it all come apart so abruptly is very disappointing."

Completely agree.
It's a shame, because string regional teams are crucial to a healthy balanced league.

Reply #901734 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

I could see the hawks getting moved to Canberra or shared between the two areas. It's a pity but just not enough support, though in junior level it is thriving.

Reply #901736 | Report this post

EssenX  
Two years ago

The Breakers defence is suffocating. It's scary to think that two of the best defenders in the league, Abercrombie and Brown, weren’t even playing and the Breakers shot poorly from the 3pt line.

Cairns and NZ later in the week is going to be a good test for both team’s credibility this season, but I think Cairns might not have enough firepower. The only teams that have enough firepower to overcome the way the Breakers defence is developing is Sydney and Adelaide.

Reply #901740 | Report this post

Below_the_rim  
Two years ago

Always great to back up a good road win with another one a couple nights later.

Rob Loe is making a big a difference early in the season. He's fit, looks locked in defensively and his shot is back.

We have two point guards that take care of the ball and don’t really force the play.

Then there is the energy guys and nice to Cam G hit some shots.

Should be a good one against Phoenix in Akl.

Reply #901746 | Report this post

Derider  
Two years ago

"Crowd 2,208"

Reasonable. Monday night, NZ Breakers and a very poor Hawks team with nothing to be excited about. What do you expect?

Reply #901778 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Hawks got another Monday this week, it's certainly not a good time families, plus there side is below average.

Reply #901779 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Monday nights are just not a great night to go catch a game. Doesn't help with how difficult parking can be down there either, which is one of the main reasons we have very rarely made the trip down when the Kings play.

Reply #901781 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Two years ago

I'm a huge breakers fan and stoked with their wins but not sure they're as complete as the comments suggest.

Very poor three point shooting, brantley drifting out of games and falling back to jacking up threes when offense is struggling doesn't bode well for the season.

In saying that I'll be happy if the effort continues and they finish mid to upper table. Just watching parden toiling away is enough to keep me happy!

Reply #901782 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Love Monday night games for tv, maybe the nbl should subsidise clubs for Monday night games.

Reply #901784 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:51 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754