hoopie
Two years ago

Kyrie strikes again, Nash is sacked, …

The poor old Nets.

Durant says he doesn't want Nash coaching, they took on Simmons and all his baggage, and Kyrie is being 'outrageous’ again.

Getting rid of Nash won’t stop this Titanic mess from s(t)inking.

Topic #50564 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Two years ago

With Simmons, Irving & Durant in Brooklyn the only person capable of Coaching that team is probably Dr Phil...

Reply #903146 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

And they are now after ime udoka...

Maybe go after guy with some integrity.

Reply #903147 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Two years ago

Aaron Rodgers was on a podcast recently, and conversation came around to his new arm tattoo. One of the guys said it perfectly, imagining it probably looks like the inside of Kyrie Irving's brain. Spot on.

Reply #903148 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

Feel bad for Patty being stuck in that rabble.

Imagine Patty with the Warriors. Kerr said he chased him but he opted for Brooklyn after his tenure with the Spurs ended.

Reply #903150 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Two years ago

Subtract the, let's be polite, "strong willed" players, is there any evidence that Nash was even remotely a good coach. Clearly wasn't respected by Durant, Irving and Harden last season. Nets were trying to replicate what Kerr did in GS, but didn't work for this cast.
But getting in Udoka will make it hard for even the best PR department in the world. Next they'll be signing Primo.

Reply #903152 | Report this post

Mat B  
Two years ago

Nothing outrageous with what Kyrie did.
The film is simply giving African Americans some historical context of their race by stating that the original Hebrews were black, which is historically factual, as the original humans on earth were dark skinned, hence the movie title "Hebrews to Negroes"
(Negroes, being from the Latin word nigrum, meaning black. It's all through botany)

It's just that a whole bunch of conservative (and very wealthy) religious interest groups had a hissy fit at the movie going against their deeply invested cultural narrative.

Reply #903153 | Report this post

Mat B  
Two years ago

^and rather than accept and re-adjust the labeling and story, attacked Irving with a tonne of over exaggerated accusations of religious bigotry.
It's a typical way of shooting the messenger rather than accept an opposing view to the established and very manipulated narrative

Reply #903154 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

I'm not across Kyrie's latest controversy but it's worth remembering, it's exactly that- the latest drama of Kyrie being Kyrie. The latest of many

Is a bit weird Patty is there with this lot

Reply #903155 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

Patty is showing his loyalty to the organisation that employs him, and a lot of integrity in doing so

Reply #903156 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Absolutely and good on him. But after last season's train wreck, he must've thought it worth returning- time will tell whether that was the right call. Perhaps things will be redeemed yet

Reply #903160 | Report this post

Mat B  
Two years ago

Teams like today's Nets are one reason why I prefer 90's NBA
Eg, Chuck Daley would not tolerate any of the self centered, VIP, I'm the man bullshit that these guys carry on with.
Wasn't a fan of Detroit's bad boy rough play, but the team cohesion and determination to win would have them at the top of today's NBA.

It seemed to start when Kobe carried on with individualistic nonsense to extent the Phil Jackson, the Zen master himself, sought help from a psychologist to deal with him.
Then there was LBJ overtly disagreeing with the coaches and other players since believing they're bigger than the team, and playing for their own stats.
Popovic had none of that crap and that's why spurs were so successful.
Same with Larry Brown at Detroit.

I said earlier that Irving did nothing wrong in posting a link to a movie about black history for which he's been ridiculously labeled as anti semetic, likewise his vaccination stance was completely justified given the sheer absence of comprehensive clinical saftey and efficacy data etc.
Yet, his on court play often wreaks of and individualistic style that's demoralizing to team mates and team cohesion.
Patty described Durant as a legitimate Hooper that apparently loves the game But he just doesn't seem satisfied where ever he goes.
Sean Marks had a good idea in putting together a talented team, but personality and culture is an equally high priority for success

Reply #903161 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Two years ago

As a Celtics supporter I hope Ime lands a new role even with direct conference opposition, although I am sad to see him go.

Reply #903162 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Given what has been hinted at and alluded to re: Ime I hope he doesn't land anywhere but ymmv

Reply #903164 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

The Nets have always been a basketcase organisation and despite having a mega rich owner now who bought up a lot of talent they're still a joke franchise. Durant and Kyrie were a package deal how do the Nets like those apples now? lol

They basically only picked Nash to coach due to his then good relationship with Durant at GSW when a first time head coach was always going to struggle to coach guys like Kyrie and then Harden. You wouldn't wish those two players on an enemy. Even Harden got the hell out of there.

Then in the off-season Kyrie's unhappy about not getting a max contract extension so his bitch, sorry buddy Durant asks to be traded and demands his supposed hand picked coach Nash and the GM Sean Marks need to be sacked or else for disrespecting Kyrie. Now Nash gets fired and they're already talking about bringing in Udoka as his replacement. Just such a shitshow joke of an organisation.

Don't feel too sorry for Patty he could've left as a FA in the off-season after experiencing all this garbage last season but he chose to re-sign with them for whatever reason. He knew what he was getting into especially with the added Simmons drama replacing the Harden drama. Drop a bomb on the whole organisation.

Reply #903167 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Two years ago

Kyrie is an idiot with dangerous beliefs and a huge platform.

Reply #903168 | Report this post

Mat B  
Two years ago

Zodiac 100% nailed it 're Irving & Durant.

Regarding Patty, agree, it's hard to see why he stayed with all the dysfunctional writing on the wall.
I'm guessing that his optimistic positive personality believed it could work especially given his harmonising demeanor as a person.
Problem is, the egos on that team are beyond him unfortunately.

Reply #903169 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

It is one serious head-scratcher Patty choosing to go back there again. Maybe he had a close relationship with Marks when they both at the Spurs, I don't know but there were rumours earlier in the off-season that another team, Hornets maybe were offering him more than the Nets were yet decided to re-sign with them. Bizarre but he can't say he didn't know what he was getting into this time.

Reply #903170 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Agree with a lot you said Mat B. He's allowed his opinions like everyone else.

Reply #903171 | Report this post

Crackers65  
Two years ago

Patty probably staying at nets for other business opportunities. Do the nets really need a coach when they have Durrant and Irving? They run the club anyway don't they.

Reply #903173 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Literally too, last season Kyrie was supposedly so dissatisfied with Nash's coaching in practice that Kyrie was holding his own training sessions with a select group of players after Nash and everyone else had gone home.

Reply #903175 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Two years ago

I love the irony of LoveBroker being a Udoka supporter.

Reply #903179 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Two years ago

I can't believe the C’s are not going to try and get a 2nd for Ime. I want the asset if we have the chance to get it. Also KD saying he was shocked to hear Nash got the axe was crazy.

Reply #903189 | Report this post

Mat B  
Two years ago

Agree Josh.
Durant was convincing no one by saying that he shocked.
That was one of most ridiculous press conferences I've ever seen.
"I have 5 guys guarding me, so get used to the turnovers"
Dude's saying that with a straight face?
Ever heard of passing the ball.
What excuse does the team make for not playing decent defense? It's probably the cleaners' fault

Reply #903190 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

I can bs on Durant. I read that as him trying to distance himself from the decision, which he must have been part of given his superstar status.

Reply #903198 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

*I call bs on Durant

Reply #903199 | Report this post

Bullets  
Two years ago

Wow the Nets are a train wreck.

It's also a strange situation with 3 Australian born players...
- One, an amazing bloke who’s proud to represent his country and would love the second join him
- The second, a mentally weak individual who clearly needs support and guidance from good role models to reach his potential
- And the third, a complete nut who would undoubtedly be a bad influence on all of his teammates and probably encourages the second to 'be himself’ and ignore any outside influences even if they are actually good ones

Sad state of affairs.

Reply #903200 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Incredibly Brooklyn still has more upside than the Lakers.

Reply #903205 | Report this post

RobT  
Two years ago

Just to prove how little I know about NBA, I wonder about Brett Brown as Nets' coach.
He had the best relationship with Simmons and his family, no known hassles with anyone, an Aussie conect (a la -St Mary's College), with Patty and even Kyrie.

Reply #903216 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Too bad he isn't a very good coach.

Reply #903220 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

BB who's contract with the 76ers ended last season has now re-joined the Spurs as an assistant coach and probably the frontrunner to take over as HC when Pop likely retires at the end of the season.

Reply #903223 | Report this post

Below_the_rim  
Two years ago

The spacing when Simmons, KD and Kyrie are all on the floor is terrible. That's not to mention Ben’s lack of aggression on offence and some up and down defence.

Kyrie issues a statement that should quiet things a bit.

Ime could be a good move for Ben given he was an assistant with the Sixers when Ben was good.

The defence needs to be fixed because they are pretty easy to score against.

Reply #903255 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Now the Nets have suspended Kyrie for at least five games for refusing to apologise for propagating antisemitic material.

Accordingly, we are of the view that he is currently unfit to be associated with the Brooklyn Nets."

https://www.espn.com.au/nba/story/_/id/34942326/nets-suspend-kyrie-irving-least-five-games-pay

Reply #903361 | Report this post

Mat B  
Two years ago

This unequivocally shows who runs the NBA, and by extension, all corporate entertainment.

The post about African history in the middle east was deemed anti semetic, (as it runs contrary to the white skin-superoirty narrative of modern Israel) the label stuck, outrage ensued, now Kyrie is blanketly accused printing hate speech.

The movie is available in Amazon......yet Irving is the bad guy here.

I've never been a fan of his individualistic, team degrading behavior- "we don't need a coach"
But this current fiasco us so far beyond ridiculous that everyone surely must see this as nothing less than an authoritative over reach by a bunch of dictatorial wealthy self serving interest groups, hell bent on engineering compliance to their self serving narrative of historical superiority and societal dominance

Reply #903366 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Two years ago

Nice take, Ye

Reply #903368 | Report this post

Angry Ant  
Two years ago

Total dysfunction, to many egos. Be interesting how they shape up as the season goes on if they stay with the same playing group or trade their pieces and rebuild.

Reply #903371 | Report this post

Mat B  
Two years ago

He clearly exposes the media's hypocrisy, but they're too immersed in their own delusional agenda to even hear what he's saying.

https://youtu.be/C2mA-AO18qI

Reply #903376 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Two years ago

You spend a lot of energy defending Kyrie.

Reply #903382 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

I thought we were all for free speech, oh that's right it has to be your view on free speech, otherwise shut th f..k up.

Reply #903383 | Report this post

twenty four  
Two years ago

All Kyrie 'exposes' is how genuinely dumb he and his supporters are. This a guy who may still think the earth is flat. He says stupid, vacuous nonsense but says it in a way that teenagers and disaffected morons think is clever.

If you fall for it, you should re-evaluate things.

Reply #903391 | Report this post

Mat B  
Two years ago

"You spend a lot of energy defending Kyrie."

I criticised his history of team degrading behavior and disrespect to coach Nash.
But on the current point regarding the accusations of anti-Semitism, and subsequent suspension, he's done *nothing* wrong, the accusations are utterly blown out of all proportion, and are nothing less than a disproportionate authoritative attack on anyone questioning the oppressive historical narrative

Reply #903392 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

Free speech laws and employment contracts are two very different things.

Reply #903395 | Report this post

Nightwing  
Two years ago

Mat in your opinion he's done nothing wrong.

That doesn't automatically make everyone who thinks differently to you authoritative or because someone else has a different life experience to you that they're blowing it out of proportion.

Given the number of Jewish families based in NY and Brooklyn the Nets had to take a stand. In my opinion he should be suspended from the NBA. But you are entitled to disagree. I, unlike you, won't lower myself to calling you names for simply disagreeing with me.

Reply #903396 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Two years ago

@Dunkman, so my opinion does not count as free speech? Idiot

Reply #903397 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

Nets shoulda traded him for the bag of beans the Lakers and others offered in the off season.

Reply #903400 | Report this post

Mat B  
Two years ago

I have not once used names to refer to someone, so that sentence has no relevance to the discussion.

Irving posted a link to a movie that's on Amazon.....and was accused of hate speech.

His purpose in posting the link was to educate black people of their historical Hebrew origins.
He said he didn't agree with anything that's anti-jewish in the movie or could be construed as such.
Yet, somehow we're supposed to join in a chorus of condemnation toward him because the media tells us to, despite their accusations being contrary to what he's actually said.
Ok, least just do away with logic, and clamp down on anyone who doesn't do what the rich owners of media and sport tell them to. Wonderful.

Reply #903401 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Yes your opinion is free speech, I never said it wasn't, Kyrie should have the same right. You don’t believe that though. I’ll resist from the name calling Sabre Thooth, it’s for small minds.

Reply #903402 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Two years ago

Shut the f**ck up is ok though? Small minds indeed

Reply #903403 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

Kyrie's right to free speech has never been infringed.

Reply #903405 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Again Matt B, it's a simple explanation.

Lol, miniature minds. Enjoy your day of free speech.

Reply #903406 | Report this post

You need a higher level of Hoops membership to post in this thread. If you're a longtime, registered member, contact me for an upgrade.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:57 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754