GordonG
Last year

Phoenix v Taipans 25/01

Neither side at full strength with Rowdy out for Phoenix (groin) and the Serbian Sniper out for Taipans (illness).

Like every game from now on, has implications for finishing position on the ladder.

Who wins? Ask me after the game, I've given up trying to predict!

Topic #50817 | Report this topic

Ben  
Last year

Looking forward to watching some basketball after a few clear nights on the schedule.

Both teams wanting to win for various reasons. SEM to stay in the play-in conversation, Cairns to keep their precious top two position.

Going the Snakes by 5 with too much polish, but really wouldn't be surprised if Creek dragged Phoenix to a W.

Reply #910130 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

2 nights in a row without a game was too long.

Let's go, Snakes!

Reply #910132 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

So I'm not the only one suffering withdrawal symptoms. Think Willams too physical for Pinder with SEM bit more desperate so picking them. Which probable means Cairns the win.

Reply #910133 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Broekhoff much bigger loss than the Serbian sniper, actually the sniper being out is a bonus for Cairns. If Williams can play quality again without foul trouble SEM will be in it. I can't believe that McCall isn’t in mvp talk, absolute gun. Who wins, both are good enough, hopefully a cracking game.
Yes nice to have game on after a few nights with out.

Reply #910139 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

https://www.starobserver.com.au/news/australian-basketball-team-players-refuse-to-wear-pride-jerseys/220735

Surely the NBL saw this coming after the Manly rugby league fiasco from last year.

Reply #910152 | Report this post

GordonG  
Last year

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=736715684561280&set=a.223211862578334

Reply #910155 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Saw that Gordon. The scenario could've been avoided though if the NBL didn't lean so heavily in to virtue signalling.

In other developments, we have Lowery on commentary for this one. Doh :(

Reply #910156 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

Kinda odd for Cairns to be selling players refusing to wear Pride uniforms as them being accepting of anti-nonheterosexual views, but whatever.

Reply #910158 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

Interesting officiating players bashing the shite out of one another and williams gets called for 2 softies

Reply #910162 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Same foul Williams has been called all year, he doesn't stay in front of his opponent.

Reply #910163 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Refs are woeful for both sides.

Reply #910165 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

Not saying it wrong call just saying inconsistency in officiating.they cant even agree with themselves

Reply #910166 | Report this post

DR  
Last year

25 fouls in a half Jesus Christ let them play

Reply #910169 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

I think it's time for the sbc stadium plans to go through, 3,000 too small. 8,000 min.

Reply #910170 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Refs, oh my, they just got get some consistency, it's a lottery, even Creek said at halftime interview.
Set up for good game if refs back off a bit.

Reply #910171 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Very nice D by Pineau and great rebound, no foul there. Is Pineau just supposed to let him have the ball.

Reply #910180 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Obviously Humphries never going to play for Cairns with there refusal support pride round, he was talk of town for his coming out, now Cairns can just say it's against my religion.

Reply #910181 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Isn't this the third novelty round in less than a month?

Reply #910182 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

You can't just elbow someone in the head with your arm swinging outside your cylinder Dunkman

Reply #910183 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

They weren't outside his cylinder, he went straight up , Pinder stuck his head in there. Creek is always hanging off players in D now that’s a foul. Let players rip the ball to keep hangers off the offensive players.

Reply #910184 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Such a difference the way they're reffing this game - it’s almost brutal what the refs are allowing

Reply #910185 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

Ummm no

Reply #910186 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Best team won in the end, while it was a tense game, too much head throwing, diving, hanging on and basically a poor quality game. Refs certainly not helping.

Reply #910187 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last year

Refs completely ruined that game. A little bit of consistency from them would be such a welcome change. Over call or under call, doesn't matter if it’s consistent, the players will adjust, smdh

Reply #910192 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Last year

Pineau's play on Pinder originally looked like a harsh intent-to-hurt arm movement, but I understand why he did it.
He was trying to hold Pinder down and stifle his jump to avoid getting the rebound snatched at the top by the more athletic guy. Just got him in the face. Certainly a loose ball foul even if no face contact was made.
Should get a talking-to, Pineau, because he created the situation with an illegal play. Didn't intend to smash him, but he did.

Reply #910193 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Ladder-wise the Cats would have been helped more by a Taipans win, but it turns out I'm happy the homophobes took an L.

Reply #910195 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Yes I couldn't agree more with you @ Luuuc, next if have objections fine, but sit out the round like manly footballers did.

Reply #910203 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last year

Pineau's elbow was in his cylinder & didn’t move, it was more of a case of Ponder crashing into it. Scott’s tunnelling of Foxwell had a lot more intent about it & was incredibly reckless. I hope both Pinder & Foxwell have a speedy recovery

Reply #910210 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Last year

Just want to give people the proper picture of what happened.

For those tech savvy, what's the HTML code to embed a screenshot I've made on my phone into a comment?

It'd be the 4sec mark of the below video. Pineau clearly has his elbow and arm well outside his cylinder and coming down on Pinder:

https://twitter.com/NBL/status/1618192464304820228?t=h7QbQu2bTqfcNPOWOC2cIg&s=19

Reply #910211 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Reply #910213 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

That's a foul in every league in the world. And Scott tunneling Foxeell, what are you people watching?

Reply #910215 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Last year

And it's about as far outside one's cylinder as you can get.

Luuuc, thanks for that. What's the coding you used, would you mind copy/pasting.

Reply #910216 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

To embed an image, just post it as

... where url is the complete url of the image
eg. in this case, url = https://i.imgur.com/tvQrGIK.png

Reply #910217 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Reply #910220 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

How about we go next level?

I have automated the conversion of Twitter-sourced MP4 to GIF in my attempt to sexify Hoops.

The only problem is the GIF output file size blows out so it is a work in progress.

Stay tuned my dudes.

Reply #910221 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

These are huge so I won't embed them for now:

Original angle
(56MB)

Baseline
(25MB)

(My account has never been able to embed tweets directly into posts and isaac doesn't know why so here we are. Plus Twitter sucks.)

Reply #910225 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

The reality in the end after watching back and play by play is they call a foul on McCall for pushing Pineau into Pinder

Reply #910226 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Last year

Yeah righto, thanks gents.
The source must be web-based not local to the device's storage?

Reply #910227 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Last year

I think it's clear to see that yes Pineau's elbow was indeed inside his cylinder. His right elbow

Reply #910228 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

The source must be web-based not local to the device's storage?

Yes, web-based so use Imgur or a similar upload site to host your image.

Reply #910230 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Excellent after match interview with Mitchell and Williams. Both highly good humans. Mitchell should get another year after the way SEM have performed under great adversity.

Reply #910232 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Last year

Pinterest doesn't work?
Was responding to that close-up of the pride round logo with Homer Simpson screaming about the boogeyman - the episode Marge becomes a gambling addict

Reply #910246 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Use Imgur.

Reply #910248 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

You have to retrieve the version of the URL that contains the file extension at the end.

Reply #910258 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

I'm happy the homophobes took an L.

Thats is incredibly unfair.

You can choose not to support Pride without being a homophobe.

I don't attend women's basketball, does that make me a misogynist?

Reply #910262 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

The false equivalence fallacy is alive and well

Reply #910263 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

The Taipans had a choice. They could support the LGBTQ+ community, or they could support homophobia.

Trying to play it like they were doing neither is bullshit.

Imagine if one of those players is LGBTQ+, and having to hold their tongue because the team so clearly doesn't have their interests at heart.

It's an absolutely trash decision and every single player who was a part of it is a terrible person.

Choosing Pride Round to say "we support this, but only so long as it doesn't inconvenience us" is garbage. Oh no, some people were bullies. Obviously the queer community could never understand what it's like to be bullied.

Homophobia is a choice.

Reply #910264 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

The Taipans had a choice. They could support the LGBTQ+ community, or they could support homophobia.

So theres no middle ground? If I don't support Pride I MUST be homophobic?

There are a great many things I do not support in this world, it doesn't mean I hate / fear them / their cause / their beliefs.

This is what is so crap about this debate, if you are not with us then you must be the enemy.

Trying to play it like they were doing neither is bullshit.

In this case Cairns had some players that wanted to support and some that don't. The club itself has said that they embrace diversity of the team. They decided to not wear the rainbow in an attempt to stop the negativity around social media targetting their players, not because Cairns the club hates homosexuals.

And embracing diversity, doesn't that also imply they we must also be respectful of those with beliefs that differ? Thats what Cairns is doing.

Imagine if one of those players is LGBTQ+, and having to hold their tongue because the team so clearly doesn't have their interests at heart.

Cairns Taipans (the basketball club) :

- Pays the players.
- Trains the players.
- Spends resources to hone their skills.
- Develops the younger guys to give them a chance to be successful basketball players.

That is having their interest at heart.

Not displaying the rainbow does not invalidate everything else they have done for that player. I will happily stand next to the player if Cairns the organisation treats a homosexual differently.

every single player who was a part of it is a terrible person.

Again there is no middle ground, youy are only a super dooper great bloke or you are a terrible human.

That is not right.

Choosing Pride Round to say "we support this, but only so long as it doesn't inconvenience us" is garbage.

Firstly they have released a statement to state they support Pride.

They made the decision to stop further negativity, which is what a club should do to protect their staff.

Oh no, some people were bullies. Obviously the queer community could never understand what it's like to be bullied.

So its OK that Cairns got bullied because the target group in question was once bullied?

Homophobia is a choice.

True. But no one at Cairns has made such a choice. Show me where the organisation has said anything negative about homosexuals?

Reply #910265 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Obviously a terrible person wouldn't think terrible people are terrible.

Reply #910266 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

I don't shy away from my own shortcomings. The trauma associated with having to wear a jersey that has a thin rainbow outline around the little Champion logo is something I clearly need some assistance with comprehending.

Let's hypothetically say I thought gay people were beneath real people, BUT then I went ahead and wore that jersey anyway.
That could potentially lead members of the public to believe that I thought gay people were equal to real people and should feel welcome and safe.
Could I live with that?
SHOULD I HAVE TO?

Pride round is about making the LGBTQ feel welcome and safe.
The Taipans have gone out of their way to say "nah, f*ck that, they're not welcome"
Wearing a jersey with that little rainbow outline around that little logo was just too big of an ask.

AJ Ogilvy put it very succinctly.

To everyone who said "the @NBL doesn't need a pride round" - this is why they do.

Very sad week IMO.

Reply #910267 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Haha I give up

Manu your HTML code will work once the reference inside of it is a direct link to an image, e.g. your attempt with https://imgur.io/gallery/1aKDVQX should have been https://i.imgur.io/DJPJe93_d.jpg instead.

Note that uploading your own file, rather than using an existing one, is easier with Imgur as it will provide you with various usable address formats upon submission with one of the options being for message board use.

Reply #910268 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Last year

I don't understand what else the Taipans were supposed to do regarding the Pride jersey issue. When it got out that some were uncomfortable wearing it, the players and team were targeted and abused. Why should the team then front up to a game with the players happy to wear the jersey clearly identifying the ones who weren't thus having those particular players subject to more (probably ongoing) abuse?

The league gave all players and teams a choice yet when some players express their desire to not wear the uniform all hell breaks loose! It is hypocritical of the LGBTQ community and it's supporters to call for inclusion then unload with abuse when a minority express some hesitancy in wearing the jersey.

The Taipans players were not saying we are against Pride round and the LGBTQ community. They were simply saying it's not acceptable for their teammates to be subject to further ongoing abuse.

Rather than it being a sad day for the LGBTQ community why not look at the fact that they have an entire round of basketball promoting their cause rather than focus on the small minority uncomfortable with that.

Reply #910276 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

"Stand up for who you are, unless someone is mean to you on the Internet in which case hang minorities out to dry" is not the message the round is trying to promote.

The ONE PLAYER who objects could have played without the Pride jersey, or just not played. That the ENTIRE TEAM felt that player's feelings were more important than the feelings of the entire LGBTQ+ community is the entire problem.

Reply #910279 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

It would be great to live in a time when people can be themselves regardless of sexuality or religious beliefs and not cop attacks. Live and let live. That should be the case but unfortunately it's not. Sad.

Reply #910281 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

It would be great to live in a time when everyone understands that the way someone is born is not equivalent to the way someone chooses to behave; that a person's height and race and eye colour and sexuality and shoe size are not personal choices.

Reply #910283 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Thinly veiled intolerance is still intolerance mate.

Reply #910285 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Yes, that is exactly my point.
Homophobia is not acceptable regardless of what other label someone tries to slap on it.

Reply #910287 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Last year

Nor is abuse of those labelled as homophobes

Reply #910288 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Yes, heaven forbid anyone says something mean about a homophobe.
They must be made to feel included too, right?

Reply #910289 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Last year

Being mean and abuse are 2 different things. You are not going to change a "homophobes" view or belief by excluding them.

Reply #910290 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

It's a shame to see people condemning the same thing they are doing themselves, because you know their intentions are good.

Reply #910300 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

The trauma associated with having to wear a jersey that has a thin rainbow outline around the little Champion logo is something I clearly need some assistance with comprehending.

Can't we use this argument the other way? Its so small and un-noticeable that no one would see it anyway unless the player was still and they zoomed in on their chest.

Of course its not about the size of the logo, its about the gesture.

That could potentially lead members of the public to believe that I thought gay people were equal to real people and should feel welcome and safe.

Why would a few strips of small un-noticeable colour elevate gay people where the Cairns Taipans and the League wide annoucement and promotion cannot?

Pride round is about making the LGBTQ feel welcome and safe.

So if NBL Pride round didn't happen, they'd all be cowering at home feeling thoroughly 'unsafe'?

Very sad week IMO.

This is supposed to be a happy week celebrating diversity, 9 out of 10 teams are wearing the logo, 10 out of 10 teams are actively supporting the cause. Yet its a 'sad' outcome.

Reply #910324 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

I don't understand what else the Taipans were supposed to do regarding the Pride jersey issue. When it got out that some were uncomfortable wearing it, the players and team were targeted and abused. Why should the team then front up to a game with the players happy to wear the jersey clearly identifying the ones who weren't thus having those particular players subject to more (probably ongoing) abuse?

Apparently its become uncouth to keep members of the team safe where they have a differing belief system. They must conform, forget their upbringing, or face the mob.

Reply #910325 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

The ONE PLAYER who objects could have played without the Pride jersey, or just not played. That the ENTIRE TEAM felt that player's feelings were more important than the feelings of the entire LGBTQ+ community is the entire problem.

Donnell Wallam was one player that could have just not played as well. I seem to recall your support of her decision.

This is not about the number of players involved. This is about respecting their beliefs, you know..... like this week..... celebrating diversity?

And if we're going to go down the path of numbers, the LGBT community is a minority of the larger Australian community. I would dare say the majority of people wouldn't even bat an eyelid that the colours were worn.

Reply #910326 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

Homophobia is not acceptable regardless of what other label someone tries to slap on it.

Except you are forgetting it's you that is slapping the homophobia on people if they do not conform.

Reply #910327 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Donnell Wallam was one player that could have just not played as well. I seem to recall your support of her decision.
I don't even know who that is.

Reply #910335 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Social media as you'd expect was abuzz at the news with the Taipans’ statement being picked apart line by line from furious fans.
Then there’s the other side of the coin and people praising the Taipans and stating politics don’t belong in sport.
It’s the latter which is sadly missing the picture and proving why Australia, in the 181 days since the Manly saga, isn’t moving forward.

Pride Round and Pride Jerseys aren’t a political statement. It’s basic human decency. It’s a simple message that everyone is welcome.
For Manly it was seven players who refused to don the harmless rainbow jersey. For the Taipans, the picture is far worse.
The decision to side with the players who refused to wear it shows that the club isn’t welcoming at all.

"These young men should be criticised. Their views should be interrogated and tested. Otherwise, as a society, we are implicitly saying there is no problem with their attitude."

It’s time we took a step forward and stopped treating fellow humans as lesser.

Amen

Tiny detail in Aussie basketball jersey is infuriating

Reply #910380 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Cairns Taipans major sponsors, CQUniversity:

Reply #910382 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Last year

So you post an article from a News Limited journalist @Luuuc which you are claiming validates your view yet you don't post the 37 comments on the article, the majority of which completely disagreed with the writer, with some straight out supporting the Taipans stance.

The fact CQUniversity are not happy with the Taipans stance doesn't mean it was the wrong one. They are protecting their brand. Given everything happened so quickly it is not surprising the Taipans didn't consult them and that is something both parties will have to sort out in the coming days.

You are one of the better posters on this forum Luuuc and that is because you generally give balanced views on anything basketball and Wildcats and you make some hilarious comments at times. I don't think your view on this matter is all that balanced however.

Personally, if I was a player, I would have been happy to wear the jersey however I would have taken the same stance the Taipans players did and not worn it, after seeing my teammates being abused and vilified on social media.

It is supposed to be a game of basketball not an LGBTQ activist gathering. The Taipans job is to try and win basketball games and if the Pride logo is as insignificant as you and the News Limited writer claim then it shouldn't bother you as much as it does, if they don't wear it.

Reply #910384 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Being balanced doesn't mean being right.

Reply #910385 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

So you post an article from a News Limited journalist @Luuuc which you are claiming validates your view

I made no such claim. The extent of my commentary was one word - "Amen" - after the 2nd quote, because I completely agree with it.

I posted the link because it is relevant to this topic.

It's an opinion piece, and I don't need an opinion to "validate" my view. All I need for that is common sense and the most minimal amount of empathy.

Reply #910389 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last year

The Trevor Torrance interview at halftime of the Wildcats game was powerful & highlights the importance of this type of round. What a legend TT was/is.

Reply #910391 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Yeah, what does "being balanced" mean exactly? Having to agree with both sides? Why can't I just disagree with the hateful/brainwashed/ignorant side?

Until someone can convince me that either 1) gay people are gay on purpose, or 2) gay people are inferior human beings, then I see no justification for siding with those who villify them.

Even if a person was somehow only contemplating this issue for the first time now, how could they listen to the story of Isaac Humphries and still come away thinking this pride thing is a negative or a waste of time?

This stuff really matters, to a lot of people, and it costs virtually nothing.
We're asking people to be decent humans for 2 hours towards a group that still to this day suffers.
It beggars belief to me that that is too much to ask of an NBL player.

Reply #910392 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Last year

I don't need an opinion to "validate" my view. All I need for that is common sense and the most minimal amount of empathy.

Yet there is no empathy towards the people who hold the opposite view.

Balance is putting up the entire opinion piece - comments and all.

Even if a person was somehow only contemplating this issue for the first time now, how could they listen to the story of Isaac Humphries and still come away thinking this pride thing is a negative or a waste of time?

Maybe they have ingrained religious beliefs that are very hard for them to shake. All they have done is said they don't feel comfortable wearing the logo at this point in time. It doesn't matter that you can't understand that.

This is what Simon Mitchell said after SEM played the Taipans the other night:

"Pointing the finger, making examples of people doesn't help," he said. “It’s about conversation and educating ourselves. I think what this round does, it opens dialogue and I think we leave Cairns alone, just let them do their thing, and hopefully over time, whoever feels like they can’t celebrate this round can be educated enough to realise that 'hey, we’re really just holding out a hand to our brothers and sisters out there and we’re looking out for our community’.”

Players should not be subject to abuse and vilification for simply not wearing a logo and the LGBTQ community really should be focusing on how the great majority of the players support the Pride round rather than focusing on the minority who are uncomfortable with it.

Reply #910394 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

I thought religion was about opening your heart to everyone, maybe that is why certainly in Australia people are walking away from religion.

Reply #910397 | Report this post

Sadly Dunkman what could be the greatest and most humanly beneficial core value of religion seems to get lost in the process.

Reply #910398 | Report this post

Armageddon  
Last year

All this why do we need this blah blah the very same week one of the first Australian openly gay sportsmen was found dead in his home at just 35 years of age. Not hard to connect the dots to understand what that means.

Reply #910403 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Balance is putting up the entire opinion piece - comments and all.
But the article is right, and the comments you mention are wrong.

10 out of 10 teams are actively supporting the cause
Actively supporting it by...declaring it less important than their precious fee-fees?

Reply #910405 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

Yeah, what does "being balanced" mean exactly? Having to agree with both sides? Why can't I just disagree with the hateful/brainwashed/ignorant side?

This is where woke goes seriously awry. 1 side is 'just and moral', anyone not on that side is 'hateful/brainwashed/ignorant'.

Until someone can convince me that either 1) gay people are gay on purpose, or 2) gay people are inferior human beings, then I see no justification for siding with those who villify them.

Why do we need these criteria satisfied to villify them? I don't villify homosexuals, but genuinely curious why those 2 points.

No one, not a Cairns player, the staff, the organisation have stated it is negative or a waste of time. In fact they have openly expressed they celebrate diversity as an organisation.

This stuff really matters, to a lot of people, and it costs virtually nothing.
It beggars belief to me that that is too much to ask of an NBL player.

A person's own belief is not 'virtually nothing', they are being asked to set aside those beliefs that form part of what grounds them as humans. I am going to respect their position just as they have respected others' choice to celebrate this event.

We're asking people to be decent humans for 2 hours towards a group that still to this day suffers.

Again with the emotive wording. Can't they be 'decent' (no in between) then go back to being indecent after the full time buzzer.

It doesn't matter if its 2 hours, a person shouldn't be made to change one's own principles at all.

They can be requested, a decent community would allow a person to humbly and respectfully turn down the super wonderful opportunity.

Reply #910424 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

Players should not be subject to abuse and vilification for simply not wearing a logo and the LGBTQ community really should be focusing on how the great majority of the players support the Pride round rather than focusing on the minority who are uncomfortable with it.

This is so true.

Unfortunately this is that group's modus operandi when someone dares to have an opposing view.

I first noticed this in the debates preceeding the 2016 Plebiscite.

Magda Szubanski and those of her group will get on Q&A and happily suggest people are homophobes, bigots, haters if they declared they wouldn't support the proposal. All the while those of the other side of the debate respectfully trying to explain how it conflicts with their own upbringing and belief systems.

Of course those belief systems would ultimately come into the firing line.

Reply #910425 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

Actively supporting it by...declaring it less important than their precious fee-fees?

The Cairns Taipans openly expressed their support for the Round in their press statement.

I don't know what 'fee-fees' are, but I am old so I may not be up to the required lingo.

Reply #910426 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Reply #910430 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Reply #910439 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

This is where woke goes seriously awry. 1 side is 'just and moral', anyone not on that side is 'hateful/brainwashed/ignorant'.
I mean...yes? "Gay people should be allowed to live their lives" is reasonable, "gay people should not be allowed to live their lives" is not. This isn't complicated, there's no need to "balance" anything or "find a middle ground", that's ridiculous. Views aren't worthy of consideration merely by dint of existing.

A person's own belief is not 'virtually nothing', they are being asked to set aside those beliefs that form part of what grounds them as humans. I am going to respect their position just as they have respected others' choice to celebrate this event.
This fucking snowflake "you have to respect all my beliefs no matter what they are" bullshit needs to stop.

Magda Szubanski and those of her group will get on Q&A and happily suggest people are homophobes, bigots, haters if they declared they wouldn't support the proposal
Because that's the definition of the term, you moron.

The Cairns Taipans openly expressed their support for the Round in their press statement.
Actions speak louder than words, and frankly I'd have more respect for them as a club if they at least owned that they were refusing to support the round and in fact felt that the LGBTQ community wasn't worthy of support. At least they'd be honest.

Reply #910466 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

I mean...yes? "Gay people should be allowed to live their lives" is reasonable, "gay people should not be allowed to live their lives" is not. This isn't complicated, there's no need to "balance" anything or "find a middle ground", that's ridiculous.

You framed it in such a way what is emotive and anything other than the emotive sounds bad. This isn't the situation here. There is clearly middle ground in this case.

In the Affirmative : I fully support Gays and I wanna wear these pretty colours which means everything.
Neutral : I respectfully and humbly decline the opportunity to take part.
In the Negative: I fully hate the Gay movement.

Cairns and their players have said nothing negative. If you can show me that they have, I'd happily stand by Gays to call out the intolerance.

This fucking snowflake "you have to respect all my beliefs no matter what they are" bullshit needs to stop.

Doesn't this snowflake 'argument' also apply the other way?

Let me have a go just for kicks.

This fvcking snowflake "you have to respect all my beliefs no matter what they are" bullsh!t needs to stop.

Look it worked, I didn't have to change a word.

Because that's the definition of the term

The context of this is SSM. Not supporting SSM does not mean one hates / is afraid of / or hates homosexuals. It means that individual respectfully and humbly doesn't support SSM.

Actions speak louder than words, and frankly I'd have more respect for them as a club if they at least owned that they were refusing to support the round and in fact felt that the LGBTQ community wasn't worthy of support. At least they'd be honest.

In todays social media driven world, those posts are more powerful than just words.

Cairns did the best they could given the difficult position they were put in by the social media attacks.

Reply #910521 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:14 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754