Esky68
Last year

Mars stadium closing?

Heard news that the historic mars stadium is closing down?

How? Why? How do we 'unclose' it down? Is it just gonna be a free stadium? Can't possibly be getting demolished like hillcrest right?

I have many questions

Topic #50996 | Report this topic

Esky68  
Last year

marden sporting complex if you wanna get technical about the name

Reply #914433 | Report this post

BigFishLittlePond  
Last year

Apparently the Landlord is not renewing the lease with the company who manage the comps. I doubt the centre is closing down and would expect the venue needs an upgrade ?

Reply #914435 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Last year

Wouldn't classify it historic. Could do with a polish up, air conditioning etc. Is a half decent little stadium. Funny how Norwood left it for bigger things yet it has more functional courts than the Arc.

Reply #914437 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

What's historic about the stadium?

Reply #914440 | Report this post

+  
Last year

haven't been there for a while but it was fine as a stadium. Fixed benches with the scoreboard above them on one court was interesting to coach / play from. All round as a venue it was good - location, parking, rings, floors, lighting, canteen. I'd be hopeful it would still be used for basketball and available.

Reply #914444 | Report this post

Esky68  
Last year

I probably should've given context on why I labeled it as 'historic' as my son scored his first ever district basket at mars. Suppose it's only historic for me or some other parents

As long as it's still going to be open for basketball of any kind I'll be happy, shame that the competitions are shutting down though

Reply #914445 | Report this post

DennisRodmansHair  
Last year

Our social basketball team has been given notice that games will stop in 2 weeks.

As BigFishLittlePond has mentioned, its sounds like the Landowner and company who manages Mars have butted heads so the contract isn't going to be renewed / its been torn up. I think Mars will go dormant for 3-6months and someone else will step in and take up the lease.

Reply #914483 | Report this post

Easy As  
Last year

The stadium can't be shut down. Despite it being owned by a private entity, there are strict conditions attached as the school has usage rights during school. There is also restrictions on any further development, which cannot take any land away from the car park area or other school land. The gym is also a seperate title to the stadium, despite being inside the same building.
From what I've heard, the overseas owners don't want to spend money upkeeping the venue which has caused big friction with the company who operate the stadium.

Reply #914498 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Last year

Can we pick it up and move it down south?

Southern Tigers need it.

I've played at Morphett Vale Stadium since 1990 and it hasn’t improved much. Actually, it used to rock when court 2 was the main court, and we had a grandstand.

My son started district 2 years ago and I’ve seen all the amazing, new venues clubs have. It makes me sick that we don’t even have air conditioning, just pedestal fans pushing the hot air around.

Reply #914533 | Report this post

GF22  
Last year

My understanding is that the new 4 courts at the State Basketball Centre has aircon and BSA is contributing to the installation of aircon at Springbank (in the next couple of months)
The BSA plan is to then look at funding to do the existing 3 courts at Wayville and then Morphett Vale and Port Adelaide.
Hopefully by next summer all the Adelaide clubs will be playing in airconditioned stadiums (Marion aside)

Reply #914534 | Report this post

Q&A  
Last year

(Marion aside)

Because South paid for air cons to go in there years ago, which is why BSA run all their summer state and development programs there.

Instead of waiting on BSA maybe the clubs should fund them?

Reply #914535 | Report this post

Interpreter  
Last year

JOaRiDrAN, Southern Tigers went down the road of lobbying local councils last year to no success. State government funding will be needed for anything to progress.

Fortunately Tigers have access to a number of air-conditioned venues - just not their home base.

Reply #914538 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:51 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754