TomMU
Last year

United going local

After bringing in JLA, Krebs and Flynn Cameron and being front runners for Luke Travers United look to be loading up on Local talent. Could we see an all local starting 5?

Topic #51034 | Report this topic

Frisbee14  
Last year

Depends if they believe Ilii can stay inury free. Probably need a dependable PG import to be insurance and even provide some load management there. Could primarily be a shooter/scorer if Travers is the point forward.

Reply #915627 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

8 local + 3 import + 1 ns + 4 dp

PG/ Dellevedova - Ili
CG/ Cameron - Duach(dp)
SG/ Goulding - Krebs
G/F/ Tucker(I) - Triplett(dp)
SF/ TBD(I) - Machar(dp)
CF/ Travers - TBD(dp)
PF/C Lee(I) - TBDlocal
C Lual-Acuil - Hukporti(ns)

Reply #915629 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Last year

While I hear the rumours about Delly... he's going to be there as long as Mike Brown is there. Delly’ sprained to be the next Udonis Haslem.

I assume CG43, JLA and Travers will be on marquees… does that mean they can only get one import? And it’s unclear to me what they most need - a distributing PG (like Shannon Scott) or a spread-the-floor combo forward to compliment Travers (like a late prime Shawn Redhage). Assume with Ili that it’ll be the former, but it leaves a gap in finding a local to start at the 4..

Reply #915630 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

JLA's return is absolutely massive for United. And great for the NBL

Where's Shea Ili at? I swear I read he's playing for Sandy but not listed on their website?

His successful return from concussion issues will be the defining factor for United's season

Was listening to some concerning commentary in recent days following the McCartin incident on the weekend. Hopefully Ili's issues aren't at the stage where his "threshold" is sufficiently low that any knock is a big concussion risk.

Reply #915631 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

Weedy United cannot run Goulding and JLA and 3 imports.

That's 5 marquee players.

Reply #915636 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Last year

Travers isn't guaranteed. Hopefully they resign Lee, Tucker if that’s the case. XRM was great off the bench. Liking the local talent. Machar is heading to Sydney.

Reply #915638 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Weedy United cannot run Goulding and JLA and 3 imports.

That's 5 marquee players.
Players are only marquees if the club nominates them as a marquee.

Reply #915640 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Exactly right.

Reply #915642 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

People forget the cap has increased to 1.82mil+

Reply #915643 | Report this post

AntAntAnt  
Last year

Not sure why Travers would choose United at this point. On a money, or opportunity basis.

Reply #915645 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Hmmm.. why would Travers choose United?

Because White made the NBA two seasons after arriving, when most expected he'd be backing up Dave Barlow?

Because Delly made it back to the NBA, post Tokyo when most people thought his career was cooked?

Because JLA went from a turnover-prone, foul-prone 9th man to a multi million dollar contract in China?

Because McCarron was playing small forward, told United he wanted to become a PG, then became all-NBL 2nd team PG and earned a big contract?

Because Ili went from a good defender to DPOY (and nominated again the next season despite playing half the season)?

Because Barlow wound back the clock, played in a title and kept contributing to the age of 39?

Because CG43 became a more well rounded player and defender, made the Boomers and won a Bronze medal?

In other words, If Travers wants to take a step forward, is there anywhere else better in the NBL?

Reply #915646 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Oh and White snapped his Achilles in there too, making the NBA "leap" even more impressive

Reply #915647 | Report this post

AntAntAnt  
Last year

Not suggesting United wouldn't be best for his development, but he seems determined to seek out an opportunity to be featured more/become the focal point of a team. Don't think that'll be happening with the way United is shaping up.

Reply #915649 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Craig, Giddey, Ingles, White, Delly- none were the number one guy on their NBL/Euro teams.

Others were- Cooks, Landale.

But it's not a necessity by any stretch.

NBA scouts know what to look for, and know which players games have a high chance of translating successfully to NBA.

Travers has a shot- we can all see that.

Playing in a successful program with veteran professionals like CG and Barlow (who I assume will now join the coaching staff again), a strong culture, very likely playing finals, under the tutelage of a great coach with many titles and many successful player development stories. Travers couldn't get much better than that.

Reply #915651 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

LV is the ultimate rose-tinted glasses United fan. ;)

Reply #915652 | Report this post

EssenX  
Last year

"if Travers wants to take a step forward, is there anywhere else better in the NBL?"

New Zealand.

Reply #915654 | Report this post

JMS  
Last year

Great to see JLA back, such a dynamic player. He and Hukporti will be a dominant center combo. Unfortunately I assume this means Lee won't be back as which is a pity as I feel he was a nice complement to the ball dominant scorers Goulding/Tucker/XRM. If they can also sign Travers and play him at the 4 that looks a nice lineup, but potentially not a great deal of scoring potential from range especially with I would imagine only one import. Who am I missing?

JLA/Hukporti
Travers/
Tucker/Newley
Goulding/Triplett
Ili/Cameron

Reply #915664 | Report this post

JMS  
Last year

*Krebs

JLA/Hukporti
Travers/Newley
Tucker/Krebs
Goulding/Triplett
Ili/Cameron

Reply #915665 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

If his NBA ambitions need him to develop as a PG, I wonder if Dean would play him as high as a 4 in order to help. Regardless, Travers and Newley at 4 strike me as a bit undersized and under-skilled

Reply #915668 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Apart from that, I like the way the squad is progressing

Reply #915669 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

If United gets Travers, I see them playing him at 3 and getting an import 4.

My guess is they're waiting on Travers before deciding whether to re-engage talks with Tucker, much like the JLA/Lee situation.

Although Tucker is a better player than Travers right now, I'd still take Travers. Locals first is the right list management principle.

Reply #915672 | Report this post

JMS  
Last year

Travers can't shoot though, so you lose Tucker add an import PF and the only starter that can hit a three consistently is Goulding. Seems a recipe for disaster..

Reply #915724 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Travers shot 37% from 3 last season, including 23/44 over the final 14 games. He didn't used to be able to shoot, but he's put the work in now.

Reply #915731 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Luke Travers signs with United!

That is massive!

United email said 3 year deal. Wonder whether the third year has a mutual option or something?

Good chance he makes it to the NBA within 1-2 years in any case

JLA/Hukporti
Import*/?
Travers/Krebs
CG43/Cameron
Ili/Import*

Triplett/Blogg too but doubt they'll feature highly in the rotation

The future looks bright at United. Very happy with this

Reply #915944 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Vickerman says he'll play 4

Xavier Cooks type role, according to Travers.

Reply #915947 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Last year

Good pick up United will prob go with 1 import - similar type team to 2021/22 team

Ili/Cameron/Duach (development)
Goulding/Blogg (development)
Import/Krebs/Triplett (development)
Travers/
Lual-Acuil/Hukporti

3 local spots to fill - think Newley will be back and a guard plus a front court player

Reply #915952 | Report this post

JMS  
Last year

Yeah, had a feeling Vickerman would look at Travers as a developing 4. Will hit the boards and run the break - just needs to get a bit stronger to defend down low.

Hopefully Tucker returns to provide more scoring prowess from range.

Reply #915956 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last year

If LT improves his decisiveness on driving to the hoop he will dominate. You can tell he wanted to dunk on everyone last season but would back off on drives to the cup a fair bit. I can deffo see him becoming more ferocious with confidence. A real loss for the cats but I hope he has a cracking season

Reply #915957 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Short for the four spot, probably no problem in nbl but not nba. United looks the goods though.

Reply #915961 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

Basket, Duach was released today

Reply #915964 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:50 pm, Sat 27 Jul 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754