Hooper
Last year

Sixers early review

McCarron/Cadee
Import/Dech/Rasmussen
Cleveland/Marshall
Galloway/Starling
Wiley/Humphries/Smith-Milner

So this is the way I think the Sixers will start games, at least at the beginning of the season to see the fit. They will get a lot more out of Galloway and Marshall this year, they will also get a lot more out of Wiley than Franks. Wiley dominated Pardon in the PR game i saw on Youtube, so his energy will thrive. Cleveland is a beast, and one of the better imports in the league, so if CJ gets the new import guard right, that is a vicious combo. My biggest knock is the money that is tied up in the McCarron/Dech contracts, as they both struggle to play make consistently. Cadee, as much as some knock him, will be a good addition to the team and will open up the floor in games, and Starling will be that glue guy that will never complain about minutes etc. If Humphries stays healthy they will be right in the mix.

Topic #51239 | Report this topic

Q Anon  
Last year

They didn't have the money to get Ian Clark back so let's hope the 36ers get some Willie Farley v1.0 type luck with a cheaper option.

Lots of pressure on the 4/5 spots.

Reply #920392 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

Humphries will start with Wiley at the 4

Reply #920394 | Report this post

Hooper  
Last year

Sixers Fan, I think it's possible that Wiley starts at the 5, let's see.

Reply #920398 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

Hooper sure but even if that happened I think they would start Starling over Galloway

Reply #920401 | Report this post

Hooper  
Last year

Sixers Fan, Galloway is a much better player than you are giving him credit for. Great at changing shots, can stick the 3 ball well and with extended minutes last season, he performed every time. Watch closely, he has an elite skillset and will start to do the "Pinder" style things. I remember many saying Pinder wasn't at the level too.

Reply #920403 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

Hooper, I agree on Galloway, I think the Sixers should give him a lot of opportunities this season. I'd actually prefer to start him ahead of Wiley, not Humphries though! They need Humphries bigger body in the paint IMO. Wiley too short and both he and Galloway too light to play more than a few minutes at centre. Also, Galloway will stretch the floor, whereas Wiley and Humphries both need to operate closer to the basket.

Reply #920406 | Report this post

DennisRodmansHair  
Last year

As a 36ers fan I love Hoopers optimism, but unless we get an absolute stud of an import and I cant see us winning more games (13) than last season.

I think we are going to struggle on the offensive end. Besides Cleveland, who else is going to step up and be a consistent fourth qtr scorer?

I also don't have high hopes for Wiley, he wasn't great in his first stint and league is much improved now. Hoping that he can prove me wrong.

Reply #920408 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Clearly others see some things I don't with him because I think Kyrin Galloway is hyped too much for a guy who's a bench player in the NBL. His brother Jaylin is the one that's got potential to turn into something.

Reply #920409 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

I also don't have high hopes for Wiley, he wasn't great in his first stint and league is much improved now. Hoping that he can prove me wrong.

Neither do I and he spent last season playing poorly in Japan and then bouncing around between a couple of teams in the Greek second-tier league.

Honestly this year's Sixers team is barely worth talking about if the rumoured signing of Smith-Milner is true, a guy who couldn't even get a spot on a roster last season, it's a bit of a white flag being raised on the season.

Reply #920411 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

Zodiac, what I see with Kyrin is a guy who is very athletic for his position, shoots the three ball very well and who showed very good timing with his shot-blocking last season. What I don't know yet is if he can consistently play good defence and be a solid rebounder. But given that we'll be lucky to make the playoffs this season, I'd much rather roll the dice and find out what Kyrin can do than have Wiley out there clogging up the paint all season!

Reply #920413 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

I could be stating the obvious, but are Adelaide spending considerably less than last season, or are new signings more expensive than you'd think?

It doesn't sound like they have much left for the last import, which was originally talked up as a high level signing. Franks and DJ off the books now. I hope they didn't pay overs for Wiley. I would guess they paid slight overs to get Humphries and Cadee here?

I do understand big money is wrapped up in McCarron, Cleveland and Dech.

Reply #920414 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Beantown, I agree on that Wiley's not much chop and perhaps playing Galloway ahead of him in the last year of his contract to see if he's worth re-signing would be ideal.

Reply #920417 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Master Chief, last season the 36ers had the most expensive roster in the league and finished 8th so by pushing out the most expensive player in Franks and DJ who was likely on big money too as he was in the last year of a contract he signed in 2020, it does look like the Sixers are cutting back spending on this season's team.

Reply #920420 | Report this post

Hooper  
Last year

Zodiac, you need to do better research, Wiley never played 2nd tier anything, particularly Greece. The last time he was in Greece was 2019 playing Euroleague for Panthianakos. I know personally that he asked to leave Japan as his wife was unwell. Please do better homework. If you're relying on Eurobasket for your info, at least realise that this Jacob Wiley was the 1994 born one.

Wiley is a high level import, and you’ll see soon enough. https://youtube.com/watch?v=pSU4dHmOTn4&feature=sharea

Reply #920437 | Report this post

Hooper  
Last year

Jacob Wiley

2019-2020: Panathinaikos OPAP Athens (Greece-A1):
Euroleague: 24 games: 5.4ppg, 1.8rpg, FGP: 65.1%, FT: 70.0%;
Greek A1: 20 games: 9.4ppg, 3.7rpg, FGP-1(76.1%), FT: 72.4%
2020: The Money Team (The Basketball Tournament)
2020-2021: Herbalife Gran Canaria (Spain-Liga Endesa, starting
five): Eurocup: 7 games: 10.9ppg, 6.0rpg, 1.1apg, 1.0spg, 2FGP:
58.7%, 3FGP: 33.3%, FT: 92.9%; Spanish Liga Endesa: 11
games: 9.8ppg, 3.8rpg, 1.0apg, 2FGP: 53.2%, 3FGP: 35.7%, FT:
61.1%, in Feb. 21 moved to Casademont Zaragoza (Spain-Liga
Endesa): 14 games: 10.4ppg, 3.7rpg, 1.1apg, FGP: 59.2%, FT:
77.4%; BCL: 9 games: 13.6ppg, 6.4rpg, 1.0apg, Blocks-
2(1.3bpg), FGP: 65.9%, FT: 62.5%
2021-2022: KK Buducnost VOLI Podgorica (Montenegro-Erste
Liga, starting five): Adriatic League: 7 games: 4.7ppg, 3.7rpg;
Eurocup: 5 games: 10.8ppg, 5.8rpg, 1.0apg, 1.0spg, 2FGP:
65.6%, 3FGP: 60.0%, FT: 75.0%, in Feb. 22 moved to Coosur Real Betis Sevilla (Spain-Liga Endesa, starting five): 18 games:
10.2ppg, 4.8rpg, 1.0bpg, FGP: 58.3%, FT: 71.4%
2022: Vaqueros de Bayamon (Puerto Rico-BSN, starting five): 15
games: 12.5ppg, 5.7rpg, 2.1apg, 1.3bpg, FGP: 66.4%, FT: 66.7%
2022-2023: Shiga Lakestars (Japan-B1 League): 7 games:
7.9ppg, 5.9rpg, 2.0apg, 1.3spg, 2FGP: 52.1%, 3FGP: 33.3%, FT:
25.0%
2023: Vaqueros de Bayamon (Puerto Rico-BSN)

Reply #920439 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Zodiac, you need to do better research

Bizarre post but here you go:

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Jake-Wiley/Summary/45001#International

Reply #920443 | Report this post

Hooper  
Last year

This combines both Jacob Wiley's as I mentioned earlier. Keep up.
After leaving Japan, Wiley went home to his wife for over a month before going to PR, which is a short flight from home. The résumé I included above is exact.
Now, Wiley is a high level Euro import, and a ball of energy, excitement, and team guy. Further to this, he has a whole lot to mongrel in him, something the Sixers have lacked in the locker room, and something both he and Starling will bring!

Reply #920445 | Report this post

Hooper  
Last year

Take your pick, Zodiac!

Wiley Jacob 203 C 1994 USA-MKD Bayamon (Puerto Rico)

Wiley Jacob 201 F 1998 USAMegaridas (Greece)

Reply #920446 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Last year

I only know the Jacob Wiley that played for the 36ers, i have not followed him at all once he left.
i hope he has improved, because my recollection was that he jumped before he was pushed.
Completely from an outsiders point of view, not seeing or knowing anything of the inner workings,
my recollection was that he was close to being sacked when he exercised his Euro Out clause.

Reply #920448 | Report this post

Hooper  
Last year

"Close to being sacked"? Make that make sense, they went to the finals that year, he then went on to the Euroleague. Regardless of any of this, watch a few of his recent games, you'll see a seasoned pro, and Sixers fans should be excited to have him. 5 other NBL teams put offers in.

Reply #920449 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

Hooper, the Sixers missed the finals that season too. They have not made finals since they lost the grand final in 2018.

I watched a couple of Wiley's games in Puerto Rico and he did look a bit better than he was his first season here, but he still looked like a role player to me. Still can’t reliably score from the outside, still rebounds poorly and doesn’t have anything more than the most basic post moves. I hope I’m wrong, but I just don’t think he’s going to move the needle much.

Reply #920456 | Report this post

a5ian nbl fan  
Last year

Could get worst https://twitter.com/DAlessandro_LU/status/1682005014686969857?s=20

Reply #920457 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

Hello darkness my old friend

Reply #920458 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Last year

Zodiac has never liked any import signings from what I been seeing haha. The wrong Jacob Wiley was posted in here regarding where he's been. He never played in Greece division 2 league, he’s been playing high level Europe for 4 years now, that’s not by accident.

I’m pretty sure he’s not on cheap money as well.

Losing Antonius Cleveland is big. But now they might have enough money to go get a great PG & and serviceable wing. If this happened sooner, Simon would have been a great replacement. Not looking good at the moment for the 6ers

Reply #920467 | Report this post

Hooper  
Last year

People lose their minds over simple things. Cleveland is a great import, but remember, there are many Cleveland's out there, just like there are other Hogg’s, Brantley’s etc etc.

All this does, is give the Sixers more money to play with. Zodiac needs to cheer up, this will be a great season...

Reply #920468 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Last year

It might be better players out there but fit/their role on the team plays a bigger part that people think.
That's why they say teams don’t win on paper, Franks/Randle great players but didn’t buy into the team orientation & had attitudes that effected everything/everyone.

Shannon Scott was signing everyone was like Cairns "terrible signing" because of his previous stats but almost turned that team into a championship team if not for injuries. In previous year more “low/mid” level signings played better than the “high” level names

Trey Kell, Gary Browne, Tucker didn’t play well until his role changed
Jordan Caroline, George King big name signings who didn’t pan out

You win with players that outperform their contracts

Reply #920475 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Zodiac, you need to do better research, Wiley never played 2nd tier anything, particularly Greece. The last time he was in Greece was 2019 playing Euroleague for Panthianakos. I know personally that he asked to leave Japan as his wife was unwell. Please do better homework. If you're relying on Eurobasket for your info, at least realise that this Jacob Wiley was the 1994 born one.
Take your pick, Zodiac!

Wiley Jacob 203 C 1994 USA-MKD Bayamon (Puerto Rico)

Wiley Jacob 201 F 1998 USAMegaridas (Greece)

It makes sense now - I was wondering what that Greek division two nonsense was all about. How embarrassing and yet another classic howler.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Wiley

Reply #920481 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Jacob Wiley's talent is undeniable. According to RealGM, on May 3rd he scored 18 points on 7/8 shooting in Greece, then flew to Puerto Rico and had 16 points on 8/8 shooting. Road trips to Perth or NZ won't trouble this guy.

Reply #920482 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Haha, brilliant.

Looking forward to your travel meme being used throughout the upcoming season.

Reply #920483 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Come now children a quite innocent mistake of me assuming Real GM knew what's what. It's not like anyone else on here knew there were two Jacob Wiley's.

Good to see my stalker Perthworld still has it in for me though!

Reply #920492 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Once again you can't admit you were wrong gracefully - there is absolutely no self awareness on your part.

Being called out doesn't mean posters are children or trolls or stalkers. Grow up. As much as I try to ignore your posts the Greek division two thing was bad because you double downed extra hard this morning with the "bizarre" comment when somebody was nice enough to spell it out to you which at that point was too hard to tune out.

Perhaps tone down on the "I'm right because I posted it" attitude prevalent throughout all of your posts if you're making basic mistakes because you are unable to perform a search on Google properly.

Reply #920495 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Wiley Coyote chasing Road Runner from Greece to Puerto Rico?

Reply #920505 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

^ hahaha!

Reply #920506 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

Not sure why anyone would be optimistic for the Sixers if Cleveland leaves. The Sixers have literally found two good imports in about a decade: Childress and Cleveland. We are fucking hopeless at finding good imports!

And for those of you getting excited over Wiley, even if you look at his correct stats over the last four years, its really nothing special - about 12ppg and 4 rpg most seasons.

He's a solid role player on a good team. If he's your third import and the other two are really good, then that's fine, but from what I saw in Puerto Rico, he's still got a very limited skillset.

Reply #920513 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Wiley does seem to leave teams early and play at a lot different clubs.

Reply #920515 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last year

@Beantown , politely point out that Childress and AC played in the NBL before playing here. Childress was hardly a risk.

Randle would be the only import the 36ers could lay claim to in recent memory as being a standout. Farley and Brooks before then. So thats 3 unique first time players to turn out to be great imports over 25 years. Putrid record.

Reply #920518 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Wiley is a finisher who is the product of system. He has been a very efficient scorer across his career, but needs to get the ball in the right spots.

If the import guard is a good playmaker, alongside McCarron, Cadee and Humphries who can all create for others, he could fit well. As it has for a while now, a lot comes down to getting the right guard who can draw the defence and make plays.

Reply #920520 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

Agree with what both of you are saying Q Anon and Anonymightymouse.

A good pick and roll point guard could get the best out of Wiley.

If we're going all the way back to Farley and Brooks, I guess I would say Jamar Wilson was pretty good for us that one year too. But I think he might have been a recycled import, rather than an NBL virgin too?

Did the Sixers make the playoffs with Gary Ervin too one year? I forget now! And Randle was pretty good his first year with us, before losing the plot in the playoffs!

Reply #920521 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last year

Jamar was ex Cairns. Sixers had Motum that year and DJ returned late in the season. Would have made finals if Brock didn't break a leg.

Ervin was ex Hawks and was on the team Joey took to the GF in his first season.

Reply #920522 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Last year

We made the GF that year. That was the year he was suspended for kneeing Goulding in the balls

Reply #920523 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

Lol I'd forgotten about the Ervin/ Goulding incident! I reckon Goulding won an academy award that day!

The Motum year was the year DJ went down with pneumonia right? I heard later he was so sick it almost killed him! He definitely was nowhere near 100% when he came back late in that season.

Brock and Jamar both had amazing seasons, but that injury did us in. Probably could’ve won a title that year otherwise.

Reply #920524 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

I don't think he actually hit CG's balls, he tried (which I guess is the crime) and CG got up and smiled after dropping like a rock.

Reply #920526 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

There was nothing to hit

Reply #920534 | Report this post

Scout  
Last year

Interested in those who have watched a fair bit of the Sixers views of Drmic - why did they let him go (beieve they had the option to keep him).

What are peoples thoughts on him as a player?

Reply #920578 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Sixers had to many two, threes, JJs offered more money and Drimic took it. Solid player, no world beater.

Reply #920581 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Very disappointed to lose Drmic, great get for Tassie scout

From what I can glean, 36ers didn't let him go per se, they both opted out to renegotiate with intention of him returning and then Drmic became too expensive on the open market I think

Reply #920582 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

Lots of us would like to have kept Drmic, but too many 2's and 3's as Dunkman said. I think most of us would prefer they dumped McCarron, but it would cost us too much to buy him out. I think the team wants to develop Marshall as well and he would've been stuck behind Drmic in that scenario.

Reply #920588 | Report this post

Scout  
Last year

Thanks for the responses, yep Marshall is worth getting minutes into.

Drmic should fit in to the ethos Roth has of playing hard at both ends. Hope we get to see him smile occasionally in Tassie.

Reply #920590 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:24 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754