Mystro
Last year

NZ Breakers to sign Justinian Jessup as second Import

Stuff.co.nz are reporting that NZ is close to inking a deal with former Illawarra Hawks Next Star Justinian Jessup as the Breakers second Import signing for 23/24.

Topic #51250 | Report this topic

Kolzee  
Last year

Interesting signing. Was really impressed with his contributions for the hawks but he's not at the level I was expecting. They're missing a high scoring driver and creater at this stage

Reply #920649 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

He's not Barry Brown, but it's a pretty safe/steady pick up off a reasonable year in Spain if it shakes out, and I think he fits well with WMW. Cheatham should thrive in the NBL's style of play, and having a consistent knock down shooter who can play off the ball next to him is a boon.

MDW
Jessup
Delaney
Cheatham
Mathiang

Solid.

Reply #920652 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Very good signing IMO. Still with an import 3 to come who could bring some of the playmaking of Brown.

Reply #920654 | Report this post

EssenX  
Last year

Brown was good. He was also a much better defender than Jessup. But he was also a chucker. He often got lucky last year. I'd rather Jessup, someone who moves well off the ball and plays within the system. I was surprised though at Jessup’s splits with the Hawks, I felt he was a far better shooter than his numbers suggest.

Reply #920662 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

JJ went through some real dry spells at the Hawks. Had some very hot spells too though!

Reply #920663 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

But also cannot guard his own shadow either without holding

Reply #920664 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

If memory serves in season #2 JJ had a long shooting slump to start the season but bounced back by seasons' end and his final %s aren't bad.

Reply #920665 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Last year

Not a bad signing. Wish Jessup got a Australian citizenship. I like his style of play. Melbourne United should of made a run for him.

Reply #920666 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Last year

Do you guys believe they sign a 1-2 guard import next ?
Have a lineup of at times
1)McDowell-White
2)Import Combo
3)Jessup
4)Delany/Cheatham/Abercrombie
5)Mathiang

Depth Chart
1 - McDowellWhite, Import Combo
2- Jessup, Le'Afa
3- Cheatham, Rubstavicius
4- Delany, Abercrombie
5- Mathiang, Pineau

That’s a lot of depth and dangerous contenders

Reply #920667 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Coach Moady is a stickler for defending, some gaps in the breakers outfit, not as good as last season.

Reply #920668 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

I think if they nail the import 3 they'll be better than last season. Better depth. But that import needs to fill the hole left by Brown in terms of clutch playmaking.

Reply #920672 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Better on paper that is. Remains to be seen if they can recreate the toughness from last season that was best in the league.

Reply #920673 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last year

I like the squad but it's got a massive hole in terms of creating. I'm surprised considering that's the problem they suffered from last season while brown jr was out with his thumb so thought they wouldn't learnt a lesson

I've still got hope they'll lure an elite 2/3 that missed nba cut after summer league as their final signing!

Reply #920674 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

Jessup will be coming off the bench.

Reply #920676 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

Low dollar signing to get final stud piece

Reply #920677 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Last year

I suspect Jessup is the third import off the bench who will play 18 minutes if the likes of Rustabacius or Abercrombie warrant extended wing minutes. It's an interesting signing because Maor wanted shot creation at the wing spot - I wouldn’t call Jessup a shot creator.

Who knows, maybe we took Jessup because there’s an outside chance of Barry Brown returning (and they needed the cap space?) Either way, we’re looking for someone like that.

And we need a local to replace Vodanovich.

Reply #920680 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Someone on here said Barry Brown has signed in France for this upcoming season.

Reply #920681 | Report this post

AntAntAnt  
Last year

Barry Brown signed in Italy. Same team as Rayjon Tucker.

Reply #920683 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

"Low dollar signing to get final stud piece"

The guy who scored 28 against Real Madrid and 21 against Barcelona last season isn't a low-dollar signing!

Reply #920686 | Report this post

Edinburgh 90  
Last year

Still one more combo guard to go in finalizing the roster

Rotation should look as follow

WMW/Import Combo
Rubstavicius/Leafa/Gliddon
Jessup/Abercrombie
Cheatham/Delaney/Fotu
Mathiang/Pineau

Closing lineup might be:

WMW
Import combo
Jessup
Delaney
Cheatham

Lot of size and lineup flexibility there

Reply #920690 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Last year

Jessup was definitely not a low budget signing! He was receiving offers from probably everywhere in Europe after having a good season in ACB (Best domestic league in the world)

He took a little discount to the Breakers but wasn't cheap
His teammate James Reid is the assistant coach that’s the connection to help lure him in

Reply #920693 | Report this post

EssenX  
Last year

He had a very good season, there's a clip on YouTube scouting his season and he’s impressive. He looked really comfortable creating in PNR, that Maor loves, so he could be a really good fit to provide them with scoring punch.

I think the Reid connection helped but he must also think he’s close to the NBA. The opportunity to play at a faster pace and potentially have a breakout season will help. Otherwise, for sure, he could be at a Euroleague or top Eurocup team.

As for the Breakers overall, wing shooting was a problem last year. Abercrombie was still a staunch defender but his shot that has been so consistent for many years has deserted him. Gliddon is the same. Brown Jnr wasn’t a sniper either. Jessup and Rubstavicius should help space the floor better.

Reply #920710 | Report this post

Mystro  
Last year

Saw a rumor on facebook that the 3rd import for NZ is Parker Jackson-Cartwright.
Be interesting to see if it pans out.

Reply #920714 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last year

Hope there's some truth to it cos i just watched a video of him and he looks exactly the piece of the puzzle they need...

Reply #920736 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Parker Jackson Cartwright is an absolute gun, I just don't see how breakers aren’t over the cap.

Reply #920738 | Report this post

EssenX  
Last year

Breakers have officially signed Jessup: https://nbl.com.au/news/breakers-sign-elite-shooter-former-next-star

In addition, announced one of NZ's largest banks, BNZ (an NAB subsidiary) as their naming rights sponsor. This is great news for the club.

Reply #921701 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last year

Can anyone clarify whether GSW still hold his draft rights? I'm unclear on whether he's still 'stashed' or not. He didn't play summer league so I'm assuming not

Reply #921721 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Yes, they do.

You can use Wikipedia to view draft rights held by a team:

Golden State Warriors - Retained draft rights

Reply #921724 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last year

Nice work, thanks

Reply #921733 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:58 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754