Rhino
Last year

36ers Sign Jamaal Franklin

Most recently played in PBA

Topic #51259 | Report this topic

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

I don't know much about him, but a guard who can play both guard spots is exactly what Adelaide need. Have read some comments about attitude issues, so hopefully not another version of Randall, but at least Bruton has worked with him before to have some knowledge of him beyond video.

Reply #920878 | Report this post

DennisRodmansHair  
Last year

Attitude issues? Did we not learn our lesson with Randall? lol put up decent numbers in China, will be interesting to see how he translates in the NBL.

Reply #920879 | Report this post

Shano76  
Last year

Lol.
Guess we don't get our gun import point guard for another year.
What a mediocre roster. The club really takes the pi55 out of its fans and members.
No way this roster makes the playoffs.
Then it should be goodbye CJ and get a real coach.

Reply #920881 | Report this post

a5ian nbl fan  
Last year

PBA CBA play 12 minutes

Reply #920882 | Report this post

a5ian nbl fan  
Last year

PBA CBA play 12 minutes

Reply #920883 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Huge scoring numbers in China & Phi. Big assist numbers too. A long time since he's played at the level of the NBL. Time will tell. Is certainly a veteran who's had to get buckets to keep a job in unforgiving environments for a long time.

Reply #920884 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last year

Just read about how he refused to shoot during a PBA game recently. That bodes well for the 36ers. Club has said he is a PG but he is clearly a 2 guard.

Reply #920885 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Club has said he plays multiple positions. That's what they've been after. With Cadee and McCarron already there, the last thing they needed was someone who can't play off the ball!

Reply #920886 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

https://www.spin.ph/basketball/pba/pba-ballclub-converge-to-release-import-jamaal-franklin-a2244-20230306

Reply #920887 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Attitude stuff could be a red flag, but I like that he's also played under Craig Simpson. This is a person known to the coaching staff, which is different to Randall I think:

"Franklin was the first player in CBA history to record a 60-point triple double and had a 40-point quadruple double while playing for new assistant coach Craig Simpson at Shanxi Brave Dragons."

Reply #920888 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

Mightmouse, I think that's true. People are forgetting that Cadee is a pretty decent pick-up, and will add more variety to that position.

Reply #920889 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

https://www.spin.ph/basketball/pba/pba-ballclub-converge-to-release-import-jamaal-franklin-a2244-20230306

Not good, refusing to shoot in a game in the PBA because his coach asked him to pass more, being kicked off the team and having his contract paid out in full to go away. Probably won't have the shots issue at the Sixers as there's really no one to take shots away from him but this sounds like a potential Craig Randall situation again, if not worse.

New assistant Simpson coached him in China and CJ coached him at NBA SL in 2016 so that's something but looks a desperate signing.

Reply #920893 | Report this post

a5ian nbl fan  
Last year

https://sports.inquirer.net/498572/pba-jamaal-franklin-summoned-for-confronting-referees/amp

Reply #920898 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Good luck to Sixers, it's always good when they are doing well, but as they say, the jury is out on this signing and team overall.

Reply #920899 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

At least there hasn't been a good showing against an NBA team to give a false impression of the season ahead.

Reply #920900 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Last year

So since Andrew Price from Spatial Jam was throwing shade on Hoops for the succinct two-sentence scout for every import who comes into the league...

How does a player go from a 30/10 player in the CBA in 2019-20 to a player who leaves two teams in 2022-23? Especially when the latter was replacing 'not an NBL player' Ethan Rusbatch in the Philippines?

Reply #920901 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

C Humphries/?
F Wiley/Galloway/Starling
F Brantley?/Marshall
G McCarron/Dech
G Franklin/Cadee

Mhm.

Reply #920904 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

Good question Pyrocross! Maybe the pandemic messed him up in some way?

To give Franklin his due, he did have a pretty good College career. He even won Mountain West Conference Player of the Year! Big guard too at 6'5, so you’d hope his game hasn’t evaporated like some little guards do around his current age.

Reply #920905 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

KET, I'm not sold on running Brantley as a full-time 3. I think if we get him, we might play Wiley at centre more.

I think they believe in Marshall and may start him at the three, with Starling backing him up. Might not work, but I get the feeling that’s what they want to do.

I hope we see more Cadee and less McCarron too. Need a guard who can hit a three once in awhile!

Reply #920906 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Last year

Franklin is the type of player they need just depends on attitude/what type of shape he's in.

With the attitude the Asian leagues are less professional than the nbl which is a factor.

Wouldn’t be shocked to see Marshall or Dech start and a front court import with the third spot.

Reply #920908 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

6ers have signed Trey Kell according to Olgan.

Reply #920916 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Another import signing with an attitude problem?

Someone really needs to green light a Sixers reality TV show, at least film the shitshow from behind the scenes for our personal amusement.

Reply #920918 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

*Olgun sorry

Reply #920919 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Last year

Thought Trey Kell wanted to stay in the NBL.
When healthy he is a good player.

Reply #920921 | Report this post

a5ian nbl fan  
Last year

nah perth world had a few interactions outside the game and training not a bad attitude with kell more franklin has a problem lol the pba team nearly cut him before playoffs lol

Reply #920922 | Report this post

a5ian nbl fan  
Last year

https://www.spin.ph/basketball/pba/why-jamal-franklin-scored-only-four-points-against-ginebra-a793-20230306

Reply #920926 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

nah perth world had a few interactions outside the game and training not a bad attitude with kell more franklin has a problem lol the pba team nearly cut him before playoffs lol

I was referring to Franklin.

Reply #920927 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Last year

With Kell & Franklin begin from the same agency & also alumni from San Diego State that's a great pairing. Will come with chemistry & connection together so that’s good. Asia/China organizations are ran differently than anywhere in the world, that’s why I won’t judge Franklin dispute ... never has been a bad teammate anywhere.

Slash Sports agency now has 5 players in the NBL which is rare from a American/Cali based agency

Jordon Crawford - Jackjumpers
Patrick Miller - Taipans
Shannon Scott - Bullets
Trey Kell & Jamaal Franklin - 36ers

Could have 6 with Deshon Taylor being in talks with Wildcats

Reply #920928 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

You'd think having former coaches and a former teammate at the 36ers is going to lessen the chances of attitude issues. Fingers crossed for the 36ers sake anyway.

Reply #920929 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Deshon Taylor

Ha, every off-season without fail!

Reply #920948 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last year

Jeez signing Deshon Taylor would be a bit of a head scratcher

Reply #920949 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

He mentions his boy supposedly being hunted by NBL teams every off-season which of course never amounts to anything. Tried and failed at two previous NBL teams and that was years ago.

Reply #920951 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Last year

I wouldn't say he failed, one team never gave him a chance

Sydney had a loaded roster and he played well with limited minutes. What’s really a failure ?

Reply #920965 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

I don't know maybe the 22 games he played with Sydney and averaged 6.6 ppg @ 39.6%? lol

Reply #920968 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Last year

He only played 14 minutes Zodiac & more then half his shots were only 3 pointers

He shot 38% from 3 (2nd on the team) along with 86% FT
Shot better than Ware & Lisch from the field

His last 5 games showed his impact when he was fully healthy and understood his role, Liam talk about in his article about Taylor. He helped them win games down the stretch, remember he still was a 22 y/o rookie

17 pts - 15 minutes - 5/7 FG
8 pts - 12 minutes - 3/5 FG
12 pts - 18 minutes - 4/5 FG
12 pts - 22 minutes - 4/7 FG
12 pts - 23 minutes - 2/5 FG

Reply #920969 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Last year

Not saying he was this great import but he was by far not close to the worse we've seen in the NBL

Reply #920970 | Report this post

Tornado  
Last year

Deshon was an arrogant clown, post season was arguing with fans saying he smoked everyone he played against.

Reply #920971 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

You don't have to be the worst import to be shit though

Reply #920972 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Last year

He was arguing with fans on Twitter? The year he played ?

Reply #921025 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:26 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754