Captainsnooze
Last year

NBL1 finals format

Hi guys - quick question - can't work out how the sixth team is chosen for the nbl 1 finals this weekend
eg - the men
5 x conference winners plus Rockingham Flames - what is criteria? champion previous year? if they happened to have won their conf this year then who would it have been? cheers

Topic #51319 | Report this topic

Iso24  
Last year

My understanding if Rockingham won the conference then the runner-up team from the NBL1 West Final would of been the next team for the National conference

Reply #922471 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

I noticed in the first game that nbl players aren't there. Peatling, Mccaron.

Reply #922476 | Report this post

Billy Bob  
Last year

First game in and each teams nbl guys aren't there. Wasnt the whole point of earlier starts and condensed seasons so this wouldn’t happen again like last year?

Reply #922477 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Last year

Defeats the purpose of the playoffs and obviously not a true indication of the teams that fronted up only 1 week before.
Players who didn't hit the court in GF now required to play major minutes in 'tougher’ games

Reply #922486 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Yep, heard that NBL players will be missing.

What's the point of under strength teams playing for a 'National Championship'? Lame.

My interest is completely gone.

Reply #922487 | Report this post

Billy Bob  
Last year

Expand it or scrap it

Reply #922488 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Wasnt the whole point of earlier starts and condensed seasons so this wouldn't happen again like last year?

It's baffling really.

Fool me once NBL1, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me so I'm not going to bother.

Reply #922501 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

Why are all the NBL players missing? Surely their NBL teams wouldn't prevent them from playing this weekend? It doesn't make any sense!

Reply #922503 | Report this post

bcat  
Last year

NBL trying their best to promote NBL1 as a good product. Social media loving the NBL connections, promoting key players and big names... and then in the national finals it's a flop.

The bigger budget teams without reliance on NBL players still doing well.

personally was hoping West Bearcats would have had a crack at the national championships, but we are playing a ressies team.

Reply #922505 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Nbl1 east is really showing how poor it is.

Reply #922506 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

Beantown Drmic tweeted about workload recently

Reply #922510 | Report this post

LC  
Last year

Love the concept of the NBL1 National Finals, but right not it is a flawed model without the conference champions turning up without their star players. Too many NBL players are missing.

Reply #922531 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

Its a major problem if NBL1 can't get most of the elite domestic talent to bother showing up for the national finals! Clearly work needs to be done to build the prize money/ prestige of the event. I'm disappointed, because I think having a 2nd tier national competition could be great for basketball in the long run. It could be our own version of March Madness one day!

It gets people from regional cities engaged all over the country when their team has a good run and gives players on the fringe of the NBL a chance to get noticed. I've been investing a bit of time in following different players and teams this season, only to have no-one show up for the National Finals and now I just have zero interest!

Reply #922538 | Report this post

LC  
Last year

Exactly Beantown. It should be the pinnacle, but falls flat as it becomes a shell of what it could be.

Reply #922539 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

This year it seems more a player driven decision not to attend whereas last year clubs said no.

Reply #922540 | Report this post

TG63  
Last year

NBL Central is showing also how poor it is too. Big first loss.

Reply #922541 | Report this post

Bored  
Last year

Require that all healthy players play in the Finals or scrap the whole thing. What a waste of time.

Reply #922543 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Perhaps the National Finals should just be scrapped, and the NBL1 media machine can revert to promoting respective Conference Finals as the pinnacle.

Have since listened to three separate interviews with NBL/WNBL players who could've travelled to WA. They all said their main focus was on winning their Conference and that Nationals weren't considered due to mental/physical fatigue (fair enough). In that case, why bother flogging a dead horse if it's obviously not going to work.

A shame as I loved the National Finals in the 90s and 00s. Things change though.

Reply #922544 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

TG63, if you take out 3 NBL players (McCarron, Drmic and Olbrich) and insert 3 standard Central players into those minutes of course the team is going to suck. They will get flogged again by Rocky today. They just do nt have the cattle to compete.

Reply #922548 | Report this post

Bored  
Last year

Could they put $500-$1000 up for the winning players to incentivise them?

Reply #922556 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

Sobey would be on $300k a year at Bullets. I doubt a $500 - $1000 incentive is going to sway him.

Reply #922558 | Report this post

Dire Frisbee  
Last year

@Bored - Cockburn Women came in full strength and still got pumped by 40. Just shows the difference in the Women's league. Poor old "Bought not Built" TT's $$ misfired and he had no bench to come in and provide anything. Great to see all the other WA teams stand up though.

Reply #922561 | Report this post

Silent Observer  
Last year

Was an absolute joke to be honest. That West team would struggle to make finals in reserves.

The format needs to be scrapped if the NBL players won't play

Reply #922567 | Report this post

SamCro  
Last year

It would have been nice if Thompson & Smith had brought their games & shooting touch to Perth to provide some much needed support to the phenomenal efforts of Ally Wilson! Both Thompson & Smith have struggled big time at this next level which would have disappointed Will Smith & Norwood Flames greatly...

Reply #922569 | Report this post

TG63  
Last year

Agree Sebastian. Perhaps West should try not to "buy" a conference final next time or at least buy players that will be able to represent them.

Reply #922590 | Report this post

TG63  
Last year

Agree Silent Observer. Embarrassing.

Reply #922591 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Congratulations to Knox, clearly deserved the win with their starting 5&4 man out. South clearly the best conference.

Reply #922718 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

No different to Ipswich TG63

Reply #922720 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Feagin is a very good player, don't no much about him but he’s a cut above.

Reply #922721 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Wouldn't say Ipswich 'bought' a conference title. They certainly recruited well though.

Didn't stroll to the title by any means. Seeded 3rd for Finals with a 13-6 record . Made it to the GF and got flogged in Game 1, obviously turned it around for G2 and G3.

They signed players that suited their program with the ambition of getting the association's first senior men's title. They accepted that if they progressed from the GF that they'd be without the NBL players. As it was, they were missing NBL players for training during the week of the conference GF.

They simply didn't place value on a tilt at a National Title, which speaks volume for the concept as it currently stands.

Reply #922750 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

All 3 Big North teams buy in NBL players. Ipswich, Gold Coast and Logan. Recruited well means they opened their cheque book to Sobey and the Galloways as a minimum. Hodgson and Deng Deng wouldn't be playing for love either.

Reply #922758 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Every men's team in North bought in good players, don't just limit the quip to Logan, Ippy and GC. They were simply good enough and well coached to place top 3.

Heard Hodgson was playing for basically nothing also. It's his home assoc so probs true.

Reply #922789 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:11 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754