Weedy Slug
Last year

U17 OCEANIA CHAMPS 2023

Road to the U18 ASIA CHAMPS 2024 and U19 WC 2025.

2006/2007 born athletes.

Both Boys n Girls tournaments
October 2nd - 7th, Port Moresb, PNG

NZ just announced squads

G
https://nz.basketball/junior-tall-ferns-announced-for-u17-oceania-champs/

B
https://nz.basketball/junior-tall-blacks-announced-for-u17-oceania-champs/

Aus surely very soon...

Topic #51328 | Report this topic

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Samoa

G
https://www.facebook.com/SamoaBasketballFederation/videos/179333191827092

B
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=281431114513661&set=pcb.281431164513656

Reply #922947 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Doubt Aus bring the 'A' squads...

Reply #922948 | Report this post

sec  
Last year

Athletes head to AIS this Sunday.

Reply #922957 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Looks like COE auto selections again.
15-16 players chosen in both the boys n girls it seems.

Reply #923860 | Report this post

Hmmm  
Last year

Great to see Maddie Potts get the invite. Terrific player

Reply #923883 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

1 I can't make out but from the photo, looks to be...

Perkins
Bond
Harvey
Deas
Bobongie
Potts
Russell
Somfai
Bird
Clarke
Crook
Jackson
Portlock
Likely Shiels on return

Reply #923888 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Brennan is the other

Reply #923889 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

No Lehmann?

Reply #923890 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Doesn't look like it, no hall or lehmann(Coe), taylor(Coe), metcalfe(Coe) either, no Shiels(opals).

Maybe they are locks, maybe they weren’t selected, maybe they are doing other things...

Reply #923893 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last year

thanks weedy.. Be interesting what those " non selected " players are doing!

On a side note have you heard when the next U15 AUS camp squad may be selected. Understand its not played until mid/late 2024 but I thought they be getting extended squads together shortly or am I way off?

Any idea where the 2024 u15 Asia cup is played ? Do they ever play it in Aus?

Reply #923896 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

09/10
u15 oceania late 24, u16 asia mid 25, u17 WC mid 26

The u15 teams are semi chosen already based on 09 performances(bottom agers) this past u16 ajc. The squad list comes out shortly after the next 2024 u16 ajc which is held mid year after they get a look at the entire crop of 09/10 athletes.

06/07
U17 oceania is this October, u18 asia 2024, u19 WC 2025

Reply #923899 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last year

thanks Weedy, it'll be interesting who they go with...Cheers

Reply #923900 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Who do you want them to go with?

Reply #923902 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last year

Mate I don't have the same intel and basketball IQ like you. Just interested in watching the kids develop and follow their dreams from afar.
I’d be happy for any of them..
I’m sure you have your finger on the pulse

Reply #923906 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last year

@weedy any changes from your last list ?

Reply #923920 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Not unless a couple switch countries

Reply #923921 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last year

Which players are eligible to play for other countries @weedy ?

Reply #924099 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

They already do play for other countries. One plays for Samoa and the other is on nzs books

Reply #924120 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last year

gee your net sweeps far and wide Weedy! thank you

Reply #924129 | Report this post

Hoopstragic  
Last year

I am very surprised that JM Hall did not go to Gems selection camp, but then I hear tha the knocked back a COE invite and is now switching schools and going to Barker College next year.

Reply #924264 | Report this post

XyZ  
Last year

@ Hoopstragic my understanding is that she wanted to have a rest given the big year she has had. No doubt she will be part of this squad (and others)

Reply #924306 | Report this post

TRFC  
Last year

Smart move, the Basketball workload alone from 13 up certainly from NSW experience is huge. School programs, local reps, HPP & State reps and for the elite Aus is a concern for many parents.

Reply #924308 | Report this post

Hoopstragic  
Last year

@XyZ, @TRFGC, It makes sense they do haver a big workload especially when combined with their school work.

Reply #924315 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last year

U17 WOMEN'S TEAM 2023 FIBA OCEANIA CHAMPIONSHIPS
Opal Bird CoE/NSW
Monique Bobongie CoE/QLD
Teyahna Bond QLD
Jade Crook CoE/NSW
Bonnie Deas CoE/VIC
Hilary Fuller QLD
Sienna Harvey CoE/VIC
Sienna Lehmann CoE/SA
Saffron Shiels CoE/NSW
Lara Somfai CoE/SA

Reply #924980 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Automatic coe...
10 players, BA save some $$$

Reply #924981 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Boys, again auto selection...

Emmett Adair CoE/NSW
Che Brogan VIC
Luke Fennell CoE/VIC
Jacob Furphy CoE/TAS
Goc Malual NSW
Ned Renfree VIC
Cooper Rowlings CoE/QLD
Roman Siulepa QLD
Nash Walker Global Academy/TAS
Jack Whitbourn VIC

Reply #924982 | Report this post

Hoopstragic  
Last year

COE or bust for the Gems and Emu's

Reply #925052 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Both Should win easy in oceania, would struggle to make top 8 at the WC.

Reply #925056 | Report this post

sec  
Last year

Rocco back for next year's Asia Cup and '25 World Cup. Probs see some bottom agers like Dash Daniels be considered moving forward.

Reply #925089 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

I like Perkins over Lehmann, Hall over Harvey, Clarke over Bird, Jackson over Crook.
Need to see how Fuller goes, other wings in the wings
Seumanutafa also in with a shot when she returns.
Puoch also unlucky but playing well in vjbl.

Locks probably
Bond
Deas
Bobongie
Shiels
Somfai
Assume Portlock is locked in regardless

Reply #925093 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Quite a few guys 06 in the USA too.
Maker, Greer and another guy I can't rememember
PG is the issue I think

Reply #925094 | Report this post

Pinch  
Last year

I think Harvey has gotten the most out of her COE experience. Which seems the exception rather than the rule.

I can't see your fascination with Jackson, Weedy, crook not much better but I’m sure there are a few bigs hanging around Vic better than Jackson. She is offensively limited, and of the 10-15 odd times I’ve seen her play, I’ve never seen her break a sweat.

I like Deas. She has impressed me and now seems settled into the COE. On the small side so has to be a combo guard.

Thought Fuller could be good but not up to Somfais level.

Reply #925095 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Maybe they give one of the u.s based centres a look, not sure what has happened with Metcalfe at Coe either. Injured perhaps?

Reply #925099 | Report this post

Pinch  
Last year

Haven't seen her floating around. I think so, there needs to be some one else out there who plays with a level of passion with some skill.

Reply #925115 | Report this post

Hoopstragic  
Last year

Bird is an interesting selection, I dont know that she has ever playing in a national champs, always out due to injury. She's at the COE though I guess

Hard to understand Hall being left out. As a guard, offensively I'm not sure that anyone is close to her. She produces almost a point per minute played. Then only reason I can think of is that she knocked back a COE spot?

Not much between Jackson or Crook, don't think either is ready to play as a bottom age big for Aus. Crook is at the COE and is from Albury...

Reply #925117 | Report this post

Yep  
Last year

Portlock and Taylor both have stress injuries in their feet so it is probably safe to assume that they would have made the team if healthy. That would have made all 10 positions being allocated to COE athletes. Metcalfe has left coe.

Fuller did not go to selection camp but appears to have been an automatic selection.

Clarke should be in this team. She is dominant at VJBL and her length and athleticism make the game look easy.

Reply #925119 | Report this post

XXXX  
Last year

Ther continued COE auto selections are pretty grating. It's unfair on the kids that outperform them that they can't earn a position simply because someone decided 2 years ago that they don't have the same potential, and it doesn't even help the COE kids in the long run if they don't truly earn their position. Where is the incentive to get better if they are pre-anointed?

Reply #925120 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Probably better if we go smaller, Portlock, Metcalfe, jackson, crook, Clarke, bird, Puoch etc aren't competing with 06/07 bigs from USA, spain, France this tournament, not a chance

S5 maybe?

5’7 Bond PG
5’8 Hall SG
6’2 Shiels SF
6’2 Fuller PF
6’3 Somfai C

Reply #925121 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Looking ahead, hard to a see anything other than a top 4 in 2025 of USA, Spain, Canada, France. 06/07 stacked. France and spain already with 3-4 pros and some on the senior n.t lists.

Reply #925122 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last year

JMH has a back related injury, hopefully it's not too bad.

Reply #925159 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Dissapointed in BA once again, sending just 9 guys, possibly 10 guys when the other teams have 12.

You have to wonder where the money saved is going?

Walker also playing again after just playing u16 asia.
Why not give some other guys a shot?

Reply #927208 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

There's a big administrative overhead to finance, Weedy

Reply #927218 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Last year

Interesting to listen to a David Herbert podcast where he reflected on lessons learned from the recent womens' U19 WC. Physicality was a big learning for him against the best nations and he emphasised the focus on higher percentage shooting being key at the CoE. Seemed genuinely hurt by the 9th place finish. Makes it really important this group takes the cycle through to a podium finish again to show we have learned and we’re not losing ground.

Reply #927219 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Last year

Interesting to listen to a David Herbert podcast where he reflected on lessons learned from the recent womens' U19 WC. Physicality was a big learning for him against the best nations and he emphasised the focus on higher percentage shooting being key at the CoE. Seemed genuinely hurt by the 9th place finish. Makes it really important this group takes the cycle through to a podium finish again to show we have learned and we’re not losing ground.

Reply #927220 | Report this post

Hmmm  
Last year

Waller (BVC) getting call up Weedy

Reply #927227 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Samoa beat nz women easily.

Reply #927265 | Report this post

William 87  
Last year

What is the purpose of running a full-court man up 80 in the 3rd against PNG? It is a poor reflection of the coaches and Basketball Australia.

Reply #927269 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

I agree, William.

Totally unnecessary and unsporting. Obviously the idea of helping to develop the game in smaller countries doesn't matter a damn. My impression is that the coach is either anal about demanding perfection, or on an ego trip, or lacking imagination if he can’t work out a way to let his bench play well while still letting the other team get up a few shots and try some things.

Reply #927271 | Report this post

Bluey  
Last year

who's the coach?

Reply #927287 | Report this post

Juice  
Last year

Veal is the coach. We showed no discipline and for a 122 point win the skill, execution, and standard of play by Oz was not the best. We did not defend well with everyone just swiping at the ball to get a steal. PNG were in the bonus in almost every quarter. It can't just be about winning in that circumstance. How bout playing a true man to man with no help to get better? Get through your offense. PNG was not a worthy opponent so use it to better your team by adding some challenges maybe. The commentator said most of the PNG girls were under 14 and 15 years old. At some point sportsmanship needs to be applied to the situation led by the coach. There are plenty of ways of shortening the game without loosing aggressiveness. We looked average but I don't blame the athletes. Hopefully they will have a better showing the next time out.

Reply #927292 | Report this post

Pinch  
Last year

I tend to both agree and disagree.

It's agree the defence was subpar with too much reaching instead of using their bodies. Offence was inpatient and too many looking to score outside of what they were running.

I disagree with taking it easy. It is international competition and the girls didn’t show up the PNG girls or laughed or carried on, they got the job done. It’s unfair the PNG team looked like a domestic team at best but gave it their all. It would be hard for any team to play aggressively, skilled and patient while playing a team that lacked a lm understanding of the game. No ones fault just what it is. You can only play the team in front of you.

Reply #927298 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Last year

It doesn't have to be framed as "taking it easy" against inferior competition. The PNG girls may have actually improved from the experience. I dare say the Australian girls extracted zero value from playing the game that way, and that's on the coaching staff. Clearly playing full court man like that wasn't going to ingrain good habits.

The standard generally has been very poor: Samoa-NZ devolved into each team zoning each other and hoping they missed shots. Aus-NZ has been better, but nonetheless lackluster. Veal seems to be pulling up the Australian girls for some lapses in detail and effort, but not enough. NZ's structures are just so vanilla: everything is a side pick and roll or chucking up a three.

Hopefully the Aus-NZ boys game is more inspiring.

Reply #927326 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Pretty poor performance in the women's only beating nz by 9.
Each team missing quite a few top tier players.

Reply #927332 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Last year

Agree the performance wasn't great. Hoping to see this group develop more cohesion and better decision making within a team first approach. Few too many instances of trying to get baskets when an extra pass or touch more patience would have created a better opportunity.

Reply #927345 | Report this post

benchballer  
Last year

Unfortunately Bballfan while I agree completely, you have described the exact style of play that all HP coaches around Australia seem to be wanting to play.

Reply #927358 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Outplayed, outhustled by Samoa in the first 1/3 of the game.
This gems team needs an overhaul, all that time developing at the Coe has done very little.
Most cannot dribble under pressure, shoot, pass or defend. On top of that, very little effort from some.

Imo

Possible asia
Bond
Harvey
Deas
Shiels
Somfai

Not ready for this level
Lehmann
Bobongie
Fuller
Bird
Crook

Nz not making next years asia champs is pretty wild.

Reply #927382 | Report this post

Pinch  
Last year

On offence I think Somfai is the issue, ball gets very sticky in her hands and she drives in too deep with a good shot option or passing option. Annoying as I really like her game.....well except this tournament.

Reply #927384 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Yep

Reply #927385 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Crook and Bird still bringing the ball down instead of keepin it high. Third international tournament but still an issue...
American based Samoan centre was just too strong for them physically. Bullied and backed down all on the gems team.

Bond, Deas and Fuller probably not getting enough minutes.

Nz doesn't look like they will get over Samoa in the prelim. Feel bad for them as they have some good talent unavailable, I guess so too Samoa.

Reply #927386 | Report this post

Pinch  
Last year

I like Deas and Bond. Haven't seen enough of Fuller at this level.

You’re right with Bird and Crook. Im still trying to figure out why Bird has been bought along so far with little improvement over the past 2 years if any at all. I’ll reserve judgement on Crook after another few tourneys and year at COE.

Reply #927391 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Last year

Agree Pinch. Overcooks it regularly for the reels.

If she just focusses on the process of getting better, without the distractions of creating content the sky is her limit.

Reply #927396 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Would include
Perkins
Hall
Seumanutafa
Dakic

Would look at other centres
Clarke
Jackson
Metcalfe
Hinder
Portlock

Reply #927404 | Report this post

XXXX  
Last year

While I'm not at all a fan of the selections, I think the main problem is the coaching. Bond and Deas could both do a decent job of running the offence if they were given the ball. Shiels and Bobongie would be much better if they were playing off the ball.

Harvey isn't a point guards because she clearly doesn't like giving the ball up. Lehman is a very good player but is also not a point guard as there is zero threat of her shooting.

Reply #927470 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Spot on, it seems BA are desperate for an oversized female pg.

Reply #927471 | Report this post

Hmmm  
Last year

Dimarco should have gone, elite defender, pass first PG, lightning quick. let the others play off the ball.

Agree with Weedy - Clarke at centre with her athleticism and length would have been great. Somfai is bottom aged and will be star

Reply #927473 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

BA have been doing it for decades with the men in order to complete on the world stage, so I'm sure they'll want to do it in the women.
Most likely their way of thinking will be to pick enough near-6-foot point guards and throw money and opportunities at them, and maybe one or two will be a success. Every other national team is getting taller over time ...

Once again we get back to the CoE focus on producing tall athletes rather than pure basketballers.

Reply #927474 | Report this post

XXXX  
Last year

I agree with Clarke, Dimarco is miles off though. If it was a Vic Country guard Livinia Cox would be the best choice, she's well ahead of both Harvey and Dimarco.

Reply #927476 | Report this post

Hmmm  
Last year

xxxx - for scoring yes, cox is outstanding, her development is a credit to her, had a brilliant season.

Dimarco selection would be to enhance the scorers around her (true PG role)

Issy Stewart? im a fan of her game

Reply #927477 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Dimarco cannot crack the sapphires.
Cox does not even get an invite.
Stewart and others suggested previously like Agnew are not getting a look in either.

BA will continue doing the same thing, likely this current squad will be 90% the WC team with injured Coe kids and hall the only introductions.

The last sapphires coach admitted they only watched 12 ajc games(not quite 1 game for each team) prior to selection.

Reply #927479 | Report this post

XXXX  
Last year

Dimarco is a great defender, probably the best guard defender in the 07 cohort, but her offensive needs a lot of work. Her handle isn't good enough to maximise her speed and her shooting is passable off the catch but non existent off the dribble. She can pass but she can't create advantage situations, so its not that effective. Cox does create advantages and can score or create for others out of them, she's also not a terrible defender

Izzy Stewart has lots of fans, so there must be something there but I'm yet to see it. She was poor at AJC's and poor in the VC Final against Dandenong's bottom age guards.

Reply #927480 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last year

Somfai could be a star is she learnt to pass the ball. Tried going coast to coast serval times! . Too many times she drives into trouble then jacks a shot up.

Lehmann needs to become an more of a shooting threat.
Thoughts on Bobongie being in the starting 5 last night ?

Reply #927484 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Good win nz, got it together in the 2nd half.

Reply #927491 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Aus boys win u17 oceanias comfortably, thrashing nz...
Lots of talent still to come, 06/07

Reply #927608 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:34 pm, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754