Stroll in the park

Topic #51439 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Last year

Well yeah but by how many?

Reply #927055 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

15 would be a great effort for Adelaide even though at home.

Par would be maybe 20?

Reply #927059 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

Blood bath 15 + to United

Reply #927061 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Yes could get ugly. United by 20 plus if they are serious.

Reply #927063 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

Is JLA playing?

Reply #927064 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

No he isn't.

United by triple figures

Reply #927065 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Last year

CJ needs to keep role/bench players to playing their role. Can't have players like Smith-Milner trying to take on 3 defenders, etc and players doing their own thing.

Reply #927067 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

I can't disagree with any of the margin predictions above.

Line is currently set at 8.5 points.

Reply #927068 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

Have a fear of embrassment for this first home game. Can just foresee the quiet and confused crowd, Adelaide dribbling into traffic/ each other, and basically the same old pattern as previous recent seasons. Melbourne won't have to do anything special to get the win. I do hope I'm wrong.

Reply #927069 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Last year

Do Melbourne not have any imports? Hukporti is still a Next Star yeah?

Reply #927072 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Hukporti is a Next Star, yes, but Ian Clark is an import.

Reply #927073 | Report this post

Jacket  
Last year

As expected, foul, foul, foul, foul, foul, foul, foul. foul, foul, foul, foul, foul, foul, foul.foul, foul, foul, foul, foul, foul, foul.foul, foul, foul, foul, foul, foul, foul.foul, foul, foul, foul, foul, foul, foul.foul, foul, foul, foul, foul, foul, foul.foul, foul, foul, foul, foul, foul, foul.

Reply #927074 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last year

Jamal Franklin cheering on in the crowd, interesting!

Reply #927075 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

Drexler, was just about to say that. Unless there is more in it, why don't they just play him? Lol

Reply #927077 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Nice job by the baseline camera getting a shot of his shoes as the Delly shot went in. Nice job by the director choosing that replay and sticking with it through that point instead of just using it to verify release timing.

Reply #927078 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

The Tohi Smith-Milner Show!

Vickerman didn't know what he had now he understands.

Sixers up at the half, quick someone call in a bomb threat or something. Nice to see Randle in the house.

I didn't see Franklin why is he still hanging around collecting the rest of his cheques?

Reply #927080 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

36ers should start their offence through big Humpheries . Inside/outside

Reply #927081 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

United is wining on sheer offensive rebounding and three point shooting. They are just playing hardee

Reply #927082 | Report this post

Crackers65  
Last year

Melbourne are only shooting 26%. They are winning because Adelaide have shown very little effort at all.
McCarron should hang his head in shame, I suppose he just turns up and collects his pay.

Reply #927084 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

I am unfortunately at a family event and cannot watch the game. Is Humphries injured? He's been on 13 mins for a while.

Reply #927085 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Last year

Delly is forcing so much.
Run some P&R FFS

Reply #927086 | Report this post

Heatingsnail  
Last year

Adelaide are hamstrung. Highest paid player McCarron they cannot trade no one will pick up that contract. Long season for sixers fans.

Reply #927087 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Adelaide with Wiley and another average player in starlight or whatever his name is will struggle offensively. Plus they were getting bullied on the glass. This is a average squad talent wise and even worse in terms of effort

Reply #927088 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

To lose by single digits was a great effort. Yes both an import down.

Felt like United never needed to put the pedal on until their 15-0 4th Q run.

Some of the lapses in defence and letting a player escape down the court for the second game in a row is embarrassing tbh.

36ers need to: 1) hit their damn free throws - they are easy points; 2) rebounds - amount of offensive rebounds they give up is disgusting; 3) have a scorer to rely on, 15-0 run is not something that should ever happen in a fourth quarter; and 4) learn how to shoot the 3 - we are in trouble if Smith-Milner is our best perimeter threat not named Cadee (or Kell, I guess)

They need a good big and a PG stud pronto. If you can't get an Aussie then sorry Kell - we need the changes now now now

Reply #927089 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

How annoyed non-Adelaide fans must have been with the relentless story telling during the game

Reply #927090 | Report this post

Dorito  
Last year

When they interviewed Jerome, he didn't close the door on coming to Adelaide, is he too old, would he still get it done?

Reply #927091 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Honestly I would be fine with bringing Randle out of retirement. Our imports are terrible. After the season he had with SEM I still don't understand why we signed Kell, he's already 8/28 from the field after two games. Wiley we knew what we were getting again, the odd dunk, the odd flex/scowl but no game.

Horrible game to watch. United shot 35% (23% 3pt) and Sixers 34% (25% 3pt). I have no idea where Delly got the idea he was some gun shooter but Vickerman needs to reign him in. Ili still so poor offensively. Melbourne should've won that game by 20+ and only got home by 8 points. As bad as they look now should still be a Top 4 contender when they get healthy.

Reply #927092 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

Adelaide weren't terrible at all, but it was just the same old story. They're just a nothing sort of team at the moment, caught between a rock and a hard place of not knowing how to get better, but can't really get much worse.

The situation of being short an import is again self inflicted. Unless there is more in it, why not just play Franklin if he's going to be there cheering the FN team on anyway?

Everyone knew Adelaide would just hit a brick wall as soon as United adjusted, and that is what happened in a rather ugly fashion.

I don't buy that Adelaide isn't talented enough to be competent enough in many ways, that roster should still get its fair share of close wins at home.

I hate to be so negative, but what is the reason for rocking up to watch the team right now? They don't play an attractive style, they don't have imports fans can embrace (besides Wiley), and they are clearly poorly coached and completely incompetent at many things. I mean this question more so rhetorically than encouraging people to not support the team. My point is that it's just hard to watch them right now.

Reply #927095 | Report this post

Observer  
Last year

Rumor that sixers to sign Randle,thought he is here for a camp, probably talked to owner at a possible place in team at a not expensive tag.
Not keen to have him .

Reply #927099 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Last year

Sixers weren't far off winning that. Starling missed some critical free throws and Sixers rotations cost them. Bench group of Galloway,Marshall, Flowers, Cadee and Starling were doing well, had sixers up 64-62, were playing with lots of energy, getting stops, rebounds and were looking good. Then CJ subbed them all off for the starters. Went downhill from there, scored 1 pt in next 5mins. Dech is too selfish, Kell not making his shots for an import. McCarron not setting up anything, they play way too slow.
Starters were demolished on O boards, Goulding punished sixers with back to back 3’s off them.

Reply #927100 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Dech/Marshall/McCarron are weirdly placed in that they aren't effective. Not shooting the ball well, not moving the ball well, not defending well in the system.

If we replaced Kell with a defensive PF and get a gun PG can we play run & gun and get those wings into it more effectively through open shots and full court pressure/traps to get steals?

This team with a defensive PF should be good enough to play teams straight up rather than any scrambling - that’s their best bet for initiating transition ball and having an identifiable style IMO

Reply #927102 | Report this post

iceman20  
Last year

Dech was like -27 pretty good effort if u ask me.

Reply #927108 | Report this post

iceman20  
Last year

CJs rotations were out of whack. Galloway should've got more minutes then starling and instead of dech they should play marshall more often.

Reply #927109 | Report this post

Hermann 2  
Last year

For the love of Pete can someone explain how DJ isn't a sixer anymore... no foreseeable change to team offence or defensive principles from last year so how can't DJ be in the team mix baffling.he creates shots can get some reboundsand has experience.. hard to be confident season nor going to implode before much longer unless reinforcements arrive and deadwood cut.

Reply #927122 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Line is currently set at 8.5 points.

You've got to be fucking kidding me.

Reply #927124 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Last year

@iceman20 I reckon it was pretty good effort from all the starter to be atleast a minimum -10.

Reply #927141 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

What was the answer re Humphries' minutes?

Reply #927142 | Report this post

momunee23  
Last year

Well...

We're too slow in transition except when flowers/wiley/Galloway are on but as soon as that works cj subs one/all of them out

Humphries is legit but can’t battle a whole game by himself

Rotations were bizarre, if he runs the second group with Mitch there is no scoring option

Mitch is legit shit

Cj is legit shit too

Tre Kell is also legit shit

Sunday is good at dribbling 1000 times before forcing up a brick, give him the benefit of the doubt and blame poor offensive structure before hitting him with the shit stick too

Need to cut Kell asap, bring in big and a solid 3 point threat

Need a pg but with Sunday/cadee/Mitch we’re already too loaded so will have to wait to Mitch is gone

Start Sunday/Marshall (kid could be the next sobey if shown a little belief)/Wiley at the three (shown he’s prepared to shoot the 3 and would cause difficult defensive matchups so why not)/ Galloway and Humphries

Worse thing that can happen is you give two young blokes minutes and maybe a reason to hang around next season

Crowd might have something to cheer about too.

Reply #927143 | Report this post

Hermann 2  
Last year

Harris by 2 ayre adnam Creek white and list goes on. We get we spot we lose to other nbl teams. Where is the breakdown. Clearly club ids talents especially aussie local but can't retain.. put starling in the list except bought onto roster years too late.. ripper local talent.

Reply #927145 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

I'll never understand CJ’s subbing either. He seems to take players off for doing good things, eg Flowers, and leave on those who fark it up a lot. SMH

Reply #927146 | Report this post

Tomdelonge2  
Last year

will CJ see out the season

Reply #927147 | Report this post

Hermann 2  
Last year

Are promising signs at times. MAYBE inconsistency rather than talent.. finding that right combo which still seems unknown to predict proformance.. those clutch buckets. No DJ yo give solid scoring base really hurts. Hope Kell can keep scorers busy. Seems like has potential to create his iwn shot and under pressure.need floor spacing options to give humphries room inside without sagging d all over him.

Reply #927148 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

United chose a good time for an off shooting night

Would've lost against any other team shooting like that.

Reply #927149 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Hukporti with 12 rebounds and 4 blocks per game in 21 minutes a night over the weekend

Also had 4 blocks in the final game at Blitz

Not only does he block shots, he changes shots by worrying players out of them

Cook has destroyed a few teams including Perth today but United completely shut him down. Humphries has also been good except vs United

Wonder if Vickerman will play JLA and Hukporti on court together, I'd like to see him try for 5 minutes a game initially and see how it goes.

Reply #927151 | Report this post

Crackers65  
Last year

Thanks momunee23, that is a great description of the 36ers. Legit shit sums them up very well.

Reply #927152 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Credit to Sixers for an improved performance regardless

Reply #927158 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Last year

To maybe throw some light maybe why Franklin still around and why no word on why no replacement import on way .
The feedback I heard a week ago is Franklin had a full pay if cut contract and no further money to get replacement unless cheap later on .
Maybe Franklin has to stay to get payout and maybe Randle happy now to play cheap why around . Theories but stuff up re payout reasonably solid .

Reply #927159 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

Master Chief

"what is the reason for rocking up to watch the team right now?"

To not be a shit fan by supporting a team only when they are winning.

"They don't play an attractive style"

They are a lot more athletic then last season. They are now pushing the ball up trying to play a more up tempo game. There was dunks and plenty of blocks. The defense is already looking better than last year. You have a short memory. Did you prefer watching Franks walk back to defense, DJ/Franks/Sotto sooking, Isolation ball, no defense, having the Filipino fans moan about the current NBA All-Star?

"they don't have imports fans can embrace (besides Wiley)"

Most teams the fans embrace usually one import. Last year it was Cleveland this year Wiley. Who knows if the 3rd import will be a fan favourite.

Reply #927160 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

I like Randle but there is no way he should be the import unless we have no money left. The guy hasn't played for like a year.

The club should have some extra money considering Cleveland got bought out and both he and Franks would of been on big coin. Added to that I doubt the current imports including Franklin are on similar money.

Reply #927161 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

Beantown - Cadee 18 points, 6 assist, 2 steals and only 1 turnover. He should be starting as you keep saying. He actually played some reasonable defense this game. The other thing that the fans don't appreciate with him and that is very important is the amount of fouls he draws on the other team. Yesterday he was equal leader with Delly on 6 fouls drawn against.

The subs as others have said were terrible. Wiley had finally found momentum in the last few minutes during the 1st quarter before he was subbed. He ended up playing roughly the same amount of minutes as Smith-Milner in that first quarter. Wiley unless in foul trouble needs to be playing most of the quarter not 5 minutes. Smith-Milner if he keeps playing like that might end up making me eat my words about him. I was surprised they glued him to the bench after. Humphries also glued to the bench in the last was ridiculous.

4th quarter Sixers up by 4 then basically McCarron happens. Enters at 8:20 Sixers up 64-60. Leaves the game at 4:20 Sixers down 64-75. You beauty!! Just a 0-15 run. Some of my favourite highlights include letting him let Goulding steal the ball from him on the baseline inbound, falling over his own feet in offense, instead of grabbing the ball going out of the sideline he lets the United player get it and throws it in and I think they hit a 3. Finally he took several crap shots during the time. However McCarron will think he did enough this game due to scoring some points in garbage time. It was a blessing when he got his second foul early in the game so he had to sit. Hopefully CJ can finally see it but we know he wont.

Reply #927162 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

SixersFan, why do I have a short memory because of what I said? No, I do not prefer that alternative you mention, but I don't really get what your point is either.

I took no pleasure in what I said either, but for me that seems like the reality. As I also made clear, I wasn't encouraging anyway not to support the team. I still will.

Good on your for finding those positives, hope you're right!

Reply #927163 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

""what is the reason for rocking up to watch the team right now?"

To not be a shit fan by supporting a team only when they are winning."

That's a short-sighted view though. It’s not AFL where clubs have big followings no matter what.

You can make that argument/expectation for the small amount of cult do-or-die followers, many of whom would visit this forum.

But the 36ers would rely heavily on casual fans/families rocking up for a good time. The type of people the 36ers need to work hardest to engage because they can just as easily spend their money elsewhere in the many other entertainment options available to them.

So it’s a valid question IMO

Reply #927165 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

Like I say, it was more rhetorical, and just a reflection of where the team is at right now. Perhaps I needed to word it more clearly.

I think the club deserves a bit more crictism about this import situation too. CJ saying in the media he's in no rush and still working out what he wants. They really need to sort this out so it's not like last year where they were playing short for far too long. Strikes me as highly incompetent to suddenly decide Franklin isn't the right player, release him with no alternative ready to go, and then have him watching the games.

Reply #927167 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Last year

Jamaal Franklin has been in China for 8.5 seasons

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/891340122381332480?s=46&t=BJywzxTjK_WsyiHCAxzVeQ

One of these contracts being 2y - 4 Mil (link above)

Another being announced 1y - Multi Million (link below)

https://twitter.com/mikeascotto/status/1554866306557644800?s=46&t=BJywzxTjK_WsyiHCAxzVeQ

Those were only the contracts being released for 3 seasons, he was a household name in China so he was easily making 800k at the lowest a season for the other 5. Yes he wasn't getting that much in Adelaide but the 36ers paid him the most out of the imports they had & sure he wasn’t cheap

Reply #927191 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

Sixersfan yes, Cadee had a really good game. It was probably a blessing that MM got two early fouls so Cadee got in the game early! I hope Cadee keeps starting until/ if we sign a playmaking import guard. Ideally, he is our 6th man though, as he will be exploited by starting guards at times and he's also past 30, so I think big minutes every game might wear him down over the season.

Credit to the team as they did have a good crack at an elite Melbourne squad and only fell short because of no go to offensive player down the stretch. I also thought it wasn’t just down to a poor shooting night from Melbourne - the Sixers defence was a factor I think.

The team has to get a good guard asap, or this team will at best scrap hard and lose by 10 most games though. Please get it done Sixers!

Reply #927212 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:25 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754