A
Last year

36ers Hypothetical scenario

Cut Trey Kell, replace with Jerome Randle at an ultra cheap price, which Randle would be happy to do.

Offer all available funds to Tyler Cooks.

All issues solved, team finally balanced.

Randle would still be a better option than anyone currently on the roster.

Extremely viable if ownership/management are serious about winning.

Thoughts...?

Topic #51449 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Last year

Would still have to pay out Kell, and spelling people's last names incorrectly has worked poorly for them in previous recruiting efforts.

Reply #927280 | Report this post

A  
Last year

Trey Kell 2 Game Stats-
8-28 FG
7 Reb
8 AST

At 36 years of age J Randle would double these stats playing at half pace...

Reply #927281 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Not certain how Humphries and Cook work together, imo Cook isn't that great defensively. The squad again this season just isn’t balanced. To many guards that just like to bounce the ball. Cook will give you a lot highlights that good for entertainment, not certain on wins though.

Reply #927282 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Cook isn't the right fit alongside Humphries and Wiley. Not enough floor spacing and mobility. Cook won't be as effective while sharing the court with them

Reply #927283 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

"Mobility" moving with the ball in their hands is what I mean

Reply #927284 | Report this post

Mathew  
Last year

Koberulz they can cut ties before a certain time and that would mean he is only paid for the time he has served as apposed to the entire season. That date is mid November if I remember right

Reply #927293 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last year

Cut before 7 games without a full season pay out however it does sound like 1 import at least had that restriction waived.

Reply #927294 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Pretty sure that rule only exists for imports new to the NBL if so wouldn't apply to Kell and Wiley.

Reply #927296 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Correct. Kell has previously played with SEM and therefore does not have the probation period in his contract.

Reply #927297 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

What are you saying Q Anon? Does Franklin have the probationary clause in his contract?!

Reply #927299 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

He would. I didn't know that it only applied to "new" imports on their first contract though.

Reply #927301 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

As a first time import Franklin should be free to cut without needing to pay out his contract for the rest of the season however another poster on here has said a couple of times he's heard a rumour Franklin had a no-cut clause in his contract and that is what is effecting the Sixers search for a new import.

A couple of things on that, I highly doubt Franklin had such a clause, assuming one even exists for new imports, he wouldn't have had the cache to demand one after being cut from two teams in Asia last season.

Secondly if it were true why aren't the Sixers still playing him then? He's clearly still in Adelaide and they clearly didn't have a replacement ready to go so why pay a guy like him to watch when he could be playing and at least contributing something for no added cost?

Personally I don't buy it.

Reply #927302 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

I didn't know that it only applied to "new" imports on their first contract though.

It's why often enough imports that get a second year in the NBL usually drop off in play because they know they're safe for the season, financially at least.

One import that seemed to drop off a fair bit after he got a second contract was Tyler Harvey at the Hawks got a big 3 year deal and never been as good as his first year.

Pretty sure new imports on multi-year deals, ala David Wear at the Kings, are exempt too.

Reply #927303 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

Cut Trey Kell, replace with Jerome Randle at an ultra cheap price,

All issues solved, team finally balanced.

How would this solve our balance issues?

You are replacing a guard with another guard, shorter and even less attentive on defence.

And Randle has retired, how do you know he even wants to play again?

Reply #927310 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Randle has retired, how do you know he even wants to play again?
He basically said as much on TV during the game.

Reply #927311 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Randale said during the game on Sunday that even though he's retired he would consider playing only in the NBL again.

Reply #927312 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

I have a sick feeling in my stomach that they'll go for a 3/4 to come off the bench and not even be starter quality.

I also have the sick feeling there will be a big chunk of minutes where Humphries is on the bench and Wiley is the C/main defensive anchor if they are going to have a bias towards a scoring 3/4.

It’s hard to tell what they need more between a PG, scoring and defensive big. They’re all critically missing.

Jonno made a comment on another thread that I totally agree with that they should have endeavoured to make McCarron a Gibson 2.0 and have an Ervin type PG next to him. I truly believe MM is a really good player when used *properly*

The comical part is they have him a big contract and lots of responsibility and never tried to make it work properly.

They started year 1 with him at PG. Didn’t work.
Year 2 they kept him as PG, maybe because Randall situation happened, I don’t know. Didn’t work.

Year 3 they finally have ideas of shifting MM and go "let’s have a rookie wing be our PG"

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So learning the lesson *finally* that they need an actual PG against a league full of star studded PGs, ownership overrides the coach and goes nah we gonna get a 3/4.

Is this slapstick comedy?

Reply #927323 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last year

With respect you don't seem to get the fact that there's so much more wrong than just the Xs and Os

The organization to me looks flawed from top to bottom so player swaps, a marquee import and so on isn't going to solve that

Reply #927325 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Read my post here about the operations and say that again?

https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/51448-sixers-import/#p927273

Reply #927327 | Report this post

Dorito  
Last year

Ket, it was reported last night that they are looking for a 4,3.. but who knows what they'll end up with, it seems to change daily.

Reply #927328 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

"I have a sick feeling in my stomach that they'll go for a 3/4 to come off the bench and not even be starter quality."

Whatever position the new import plays, he needs to be the best player on the team.

Reply #927331 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last year

Ket i was meaning A's post suggesting sub in cooks, Randle then job done

Reply #927333 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Ah, that post signifies our desperation as 36ers fans sadly :(

Reply #927334 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last year

Hey as a breakers fan I've been there!

It's amazing what a difference it can make having management that players want to play for and as a result buy into their system

Like a lot of people I would like CJ to do well but it's got to the point they've got to make the tough call I think

Reply #927336 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

I think CJ is beginning to have his own doubts too.

Reply #927337 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

If we follow the 'fish rots from the head' theory, then CJ may just be the scapegoat for management interference or poor decision-making.

I’ve seen enough of CJ’s coaching to think that he’s not Head Coach material (yet), but I wonder how much freedom he had to actually make some of his coaching decisions.

This whole Franklin business sounds too much like someone on high had a dummy-spit and made a knee-jerk call to get rid of him without thinking through the impact on the team. (I’m not saying that Franklin should have stayed in the team for the first 7 rounds, but just that he could have been kept for longer until there was a replacement inked in.)

Reply #927338 | Report this post

A  
Last year

-'I've seen enough of CJ’s coaching to think that he’s not Head Coach material (yet), but I wonder how much freedom he had to actually make some of his coaching decisions.‘

CJ has put the entire team together from the 1st-12th rostered player for the last 2 seasons...100% controlled all players signings and selections.

4 weeks ago on national TV CJ promised a 18 year old who had never played organised basketball against men, the Starting PG position in possibly a top 4-5 basketball league in the world. And to add to that, he’s never actually played the point.

I wanted CJ to succeed, but completely stupidity has already derailed the entire season.

Reply #927340 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

CJ has put the entire team together from the 1st-12th rostered player for the last 2 seasons...100% controlled all players signings and selections.
It certainly hasn't looked that way.

Reply #927342 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Not true, CJ inherited McCarron who was signed a few months before Henry was fired and then CJ became the coach and he also inherited DJ for the last two seasons as well.

Reply #927343 | Report this post

A  
Last year

My apologies...Any new player not under existing contacts were chosen by CJ. Would love to have DJ right now…he would at least give us better than 28.5% FG…
Anyone Mentioning his lack of defence would be very inappropriate considering how shocking this entire team is at defending at the moment.

Reply #927344 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Very very early days, but Adelaide is fourth for defensive rating in the competition at 102.1. The league average so far is 107.9. Doesn't scream of shocking defending.

The issue is more shocking defensive rebounding which is greatly hurting their ability to play with pace, which is then exposing the clunkiness of their half-court sets and their lack of a playmaker.

Reply #927348 | Report this post

Pablo Escobar  
Last year

Maybe people should be looking at a certain connection to another club for decisions made.
Kell - SEM
Smith Milner - SEM
Simpson - SEM
Franklin - See directly above

Reply #927352 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last year

Maybe people should also look at the NBL's biggest agent has been black balled by the club for past contract curiosities and therefore Adelaide wont be getting decent imports or high level locals.

Reply #927355 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

If they go with a scoring/rebounding 3/4, what happens when Humphries is on the bench?

Is Wiley going to be the main deterrent? Do we think this would be sufficient if we had a DJ style 3/4?

Reply #927356 | Report this post

a5ian nbl fan  
Last year

pablo that's a shit take

Reply #927361 | Report this post

a5ian nbl fan  
Last year

the front office has been a mess for ages even when sobey was there

Reply #927362 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

I think that's due to when Kelly took over he didn't clean house.

Reply #927365 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Maybe people should also look at the NBL's biggest agent has been black balled by the club for past contract curiosities and therefore Adelaide wont be getting decent imports or high level locals.

When you look back at it now there were certainly a lot of MOuLDy contracts proceeded Over by the VANs.

Reply #927367 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

"Maybe people should also look at the NBL's biggest agent has been black balled by the club for past contract curiosities and therefore Adelaide wont be getting decent imports or high level locals."

IF that is true, then the NBL board should be looking into potential anti-competitive practises. You can't have one agent dictating the signing opportunities for any of the clubs!

Reply #927388 | Report this post

Pablo Escobar  
Last year

NBL needs a draft to stop this.

Reply #927481 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last year

Its the teams doing in response to questionable behaviour

Reply #927482 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

Yeah I got that Q Anon, but you were suggesting that is making it harder for Sixers to sign good players. *IF* that is true, then that one agent has too much influence over the player market for the NBL.

Reply #927487 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

It's a free market though.

Kelly appointing JvG caused all of this in the first place, it was a massive blunder.

He's probably the worst owner (with money) in NBL history.

Reply #927509 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:57 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754