Q Anon
Last year

SEM cut Cummings

https://www.espn.com.au/nbl/story/_/id/39061937/nbl-south-east-melbourne-phoenix-release-import-cummings-due-court-behaviour

The CV he has versus the results he was delivering are miles apart.

Do Adelaide grab him?

Topic #51637 | Report this topic

Rhino  
Last year

Whilst Adelaide need a LOT of help, i wouldn't see much value in chasing Cummings. Adelaide need to strip back to bare bones and start all over again.

Reply #931985 | Report this post

Jonno  
Last year

Id sign Cummings to be starting PG, its an upgrade to our guard rotation if nothing else.

Reply #931987 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

He's been ok, maybe they are looking for a three and D guy to replace Moller, or a more defensive two guard.
Sixers should stay well away, he’s a shoot first type player and soft on D, certainly not what is required.
John Wall anybody??

Reply #931989 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last year

Would be a bit of a LOL if they fired CJ and then immediately brought in a new PG he spent 2 years asking for.

Reply #931992 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Cummings just not a good fit next to Browne IMO. A bit of a surprising time to do it with a game on Sunday, presumably they have someone lined up and yeah, no doubt it's someone to slot into Moller's spot, so a 3-4 type.

He would do better in Adelaide, but that would give them about 17 guards on their roster.

Reply #931996 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

This is the SEM statement:

"South East Melbourne Phoenix has parted ways with American import Will Cummings, effective immediately.

The team will endeavour to replace Cummings on the roster in due course.

No further comments will be made on this matter."

Not your usual import release statement.

Reply #931999 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

About as curt as it gets, he obviously pissed them off big time.

No great loss what I saw of him didn't look an NBL standard import and was a weird signing from the start with Browne there.

Reply #932004 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

Crux:

Cummings failed to meet off-court requirements on multiple occasions, sources told ESPN. He was given formal warnings on multiple occasions, sources said, but the behaviour reached a point that led to the Phoenix acting.
What's it likely to be? Community/sponsor appearances? Gym work? Media stuff?

Reply #932005 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Sounds like perfect Sixers material now!

Reply #932006 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

Zodiac, he was an NBL standard import. He has won MVPs in Europe only recently. Let's not overate the league too much please.

Reply #932007 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

Just a shit bloke Master Chief

Reply #932008 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

Funnily enough, it is the kind of thing Adelaide would do; impulsively bring in an import with off-court issues after firing a coach who supposedly was desperate to obtain one, and after declaring they wouldn't.

Reply #932010 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

I think it's the opposite, SEM are now stating that you want to play for us you do what is required or you’re out, sounds a lot better than the old boys club that seems to be in previously.
Cummings was mvp three seasons ago in a Covid year and with the right team around him with his scoring ability would stand out. A lot players in SEM starting five require a lot ball so it wasn’t a good fit.
I really like what Kelly is starting to do with this side, I didn’t think they would play finals, might still miss out the club certainly looking much better.

Reply #932022 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Get it done Adelaide!

Reply #932023 | Report this post

BigD  
Last year

Only Adelaide and their fans would be calling for them to sign a player who was just fired for his off-court discrepancies...

Reply #932038 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

Liam Santamaria has detailed why the Phoenix have made the shock call to part ways with import guard Will Cummings.
Maybe skip this story on the NBL site. Doesn't detail why at all. Just "off court, not on court" thing, like the ESPN link.

Reply #932040 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Zodiac, he was an NBL standard import. He has won MVPs in Europe only recently. Let's not overate the league too much please.

I wasn't trying to overstate anything, I've only seen a handful of his games and like I said what I've seen of him I don't think much of his game at all. Certainly wouldn't want him on the Sixers and we're in dire need of help.

Reply #932041 | Report this post

Cool Howie  
Last year

Liam Santamaria is a flop. Just toes the party line on everything.

Reply #932045 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Well yeah Santa works for the NBL, I wasn't under the impression anyone expected impartiality from him. They've even made him the GM of the Next Stars program.

Reply #932046 | Report this post

What import do SEM look for now? The Justin Simon type??

Reply #932055 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Justin Simon just signed in France last week.

Reply #932056 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Last year

Adnam just got cut in Romania could go him and an import SF
Browne/Adnam/Foxwell
Ayre/Kenyon
Import SF/Te Rangi
Creek/Vague
Williams/Gak

Reply #932304 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

No way Ayre plays ahead of Kenyon, I can't see Kelly picking up Adnam. Did he get cut or choose to leave. Euro comps even in Romania, if you are going to succeed as an import you have to be top level scorer or the rest of your game, passing and D have to be first rate.

Reply #932305 | Report this post

a5ian nbl fan  
Last year

they're not signing Adnam and even if they did they have no rotation for him
Browne / Foxwell / Rosendale
Kenyon / Ayre / Stattmann
Import / Te Rangi / Local
Creek / Vague/ Rapp
Williams / Gak Risetto

Reply #932316 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

If they have the budget, the Scotty Hopson, Donta Smith, Casey Prather type - a ball-handling SF who can cover 2-4 in the NBL at times and have an impact on the boards - would give them great versatility. Not easy to find that good a player, but it would give them the chance to challenge Melbourne and Tasmania.

Reply #932321 | Report this post

By the sea  
Last year

Abdel Nader has been signed for remainder of season.

Reply #932322 | Report this post

Mystro  
Last year

Nader is an awesome pick up

Reply #932323 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Possibly, but what's he been doing for the past nearly two years?

Reply #932324 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

As a Celtics supporter I liked Nader.

I thought he did well for the little time he got behind the 2 Jays.

Will be interesting to see how his game translates to the NBL.

Reply #932333 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Looks like it worked out quite good for SEM, get a quality three and D to replace moller and Kenyon drops back to the two. Bench still reasonable with Ayre leading it.

Reply #932338 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:20 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754