Luuuc
Last year

WNBA 2024 Season

Reminder that the draft lottery is 8:30am AEDT this coming Monday, with Indiana (44% change of pick #1), Phoenix (28%), LA (18%) & Seattle (10%) in the mix.

Catching up from the other thread ...

Weedy Slug:

ESPN 2024 MOCK

PUOCH #7
AMOORE #9
BORLASE #12

--

Blues67
Should be

Borlase
Puoch
Amoore

--

Weedy Slug
Puoch should probably wait a year and develop.
Shelley is also in, late 3rd round.

Topic #51638 | Report this topic

Cool Howie  
Last year

Be interesting to see what Caitlin Clark does. Probably making better coin staying in college from what I understand.

Reply #932036 | Report this post

JD14  
Last year

How much does she make in college? I didn't know they get paid there. and how much would she make in WNBA? Not as much?

Reply #932079 | Report this post

+  
Last year

College gets N.I.L. payments from what I understand.

Reply #932095 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

I don't really buy that theory.
I can see how it could make sense for someone who is a big deal in college but unlikely to be a star at WNBA level, but Clark is on the trajectory to earn a max WNBA salary, potentially even bigger bucks overseas (if she wants them), and there's no reason why her endorsements as a pro would need to bring in any less for her than her current NIL deals.
There are other perfectly good reasons to stay in college another year of course. I just doubt it would be the more financially lucrative option for her.

Reply #932097 | Report this post

JD14  
Last year

Will she wait to decide who gets the number 1 pick before nominating for the draft? Apparently Golden State have a team next year, so maybe wants to be the face of that franchise? Otherwise, goes to Indiania probably and thats a small market.

Reply #932100 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

She can wait until just a few days before the draft before making her decision, so yes if she decides that for example Indianapolis is not for her then she can factor that in.

Reply #932109 | Report this post

+  
Last year

Indiana basketball a small market ? basketball is huge there

Reply #932111 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Indy is consistently at the bottom end of WNBA attendances, in a league where 8 out of 12 teams make the playoffs the Fever have managed to fail 7 seasons in a row, financially the franchise has been a perennial struggler, and Indianapolis as a city is not generally considered a primo destination for its weather or attractions or culture or anything for most people.
Not exactly top spot on the list for people wanting to maximise their marketability I'd wager - especially not when LA is one of the other possibilities.

But hey, maybe she's loving Iowa and wants to keep those same rural vibes going for her pro career. Indy would be a good fit in that case. Depends what she is after. It's also a team in need of a hero. She could be the player to help lift them back to relevance again. That might be appealing for her, who knows.

The speculation can go up a notch once we actually know the draft order on Monday.

It's nice for her that she has the option when it comes to declaring. That is something most players don't traditionally get. One of the few silver linings of Covid.

Reply #932113 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

1. Indiana
2. LA
3. Phoenix
4. Seattle

Rest of round 1 atm:
5. Dallas
6. Washington
7. Minnesota
8. Atlanta
9. Dallas
10. Connecticut
11. NY
12. LA

Reply #932281 | Report this post

Blues67  
Last year

I'm tipping Borlase to NY Liberty at #11

Seems like a good fit, Sandy as coach who has already spoken glowingly of her talent. Also, their team is loaded so no pressure to make the move for another 1-2 years where she can develop in Australia.

Reply #932282 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

I dunno about that one, Sandy probably after a pg.

Reply #932285 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

CVS isn't getting any younger so yeah I think she probably is too. Although in the past she has been more of a trader than a drafter when it comes to her main needs.

But there's so much free agency water (and college performances water, and draft nominations water) to go under the bridge before the draft, so it's hard to make any kind of quality guesses at the moment about who picks who.

Reply #932302 | Report this post

+  
Last year

borlase currently at 12 to LA

Reply #932310 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

It's obviously still way too early to be accurate, but I find them interesting to track so here's a collection of recent 1st round mocks that Todd Roman (@TBRBWAY on Twitter) has recently compiled:

Reply #932606 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Good to see 3 from down under, Borlase not making any top 12 currently is wild.

We will definitely see 3 Aussies get drafted and 1 kiwi. If Shelley continues playing well, she'll make it too.

Reply #932608 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

I agree that Shelley is on track as well. 4 aussies would be a great result.

Even the day before the draft the draft order predictions for foreign players can be very random. So 5 months out I wouldn't read too much into them at all. (The predictions for the US players still have more fluctuations to come as well, I'm sure)
Foreigners also always get marked downward due to being less reliable with showing up / having national team commitments, and that is fair enough.

I know it's more prestigious to be drafted higher up, but I'm never bothered when an aussie gets picked "too low", as long as they still get picked. I actually kinda like it. Less pressure, and it's nice for the team when their selection "overachieves" even though we knew all along what the player was capable of.

Reply #932612 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Earlier this year

ESPN's latest mock draft has 3 aussies in the 1st round

1. Indiana Fever: Caitlin Clark | Iowa | point guard | 6-foot-0 | senior
2. Los Angeles Sparks: Cameron Brink | Stanford | power forward | 6-foot-4 | senior
3. Phoenix Mercury: Paige Bueckers | UConn | point guard | 6-foot-0 | junior
4. Seattle Storm: Kamilla Cardoso | South Carolina | center | 6-foot-7 | senior
5. Dallas Wings: Rickea Jackson | Tennessee | power forward | 6-foot-2 | senior
6. Washington Mystics: Aaliyah Edwards | UConn | power forward | 6-foot-3 | senior
7. Minnesota Lynx: Alissa Pili | Utah | power forward | 6-foot-2 | senior
8. Atlanta Dream: Angel Reese | LSU | power forward | 6-foot-3 | senior
9. Dallas Wings: Georgia Amoore | Virginia Tech | point guard | 5-foot-6 | senior
10. Connecticut Sun: Nyadiew Puoch | Australia | small forward | 6-foot-3
11. New York Liberty: Charisma Osborne | UCLA | shooting guard | 5-foot-9 | senior
12. Los Angeles Sparks: Isobel Borlase | Australia | shooting guard | 5-foot-11

Link

Reply #934611 | Report this post

Footloose  
Earlier this year

Noticed Washington GM Thibault at the Flyers game last week, sitting on the baseline, checking out Puoch?

Reply #934612 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Earlier this year

Most likely. He loves a scouting trip down under.

Reply #934614 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Earlier this year

Free agency is underway.

First move involving an aussie is a cool one. Fleur McIntyre -> Phoenix Mercury.

Reply #934833 | Report this post

LC  
Earlier this year

We have US execs flying down under to watch Puoch, and yet she is languishing on the bench. Not sure what the go is their between Puoch and Chambers.

It's not good for Puoch, the club or the league.

Reply #934834 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Earlier this year

Chambers as a development coach= not good. Myself and others have said numerous times that Puoch and Loughridge would be better off going somewhere else and not staying home. Look what happened to Reid's career when she left.

Reply #934835 | Report this post

+  
Earlier this year

that is a good draft year - some talent there

Reply #934836 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Earlier this year

^ Yes - potentially a strong draft class, though the Covid option to stay in college still applies so it remains to be seen how many eligible players actually end up nominating

Re. Puoch, I guess the silver lining is that she'd be a draft-and-stash player either way, but yes this WNBL season has probably hurt her draft position. Not that position really means a huge amount anyway in the WNBA.

Reply #934838 | Report this post

BigD  
Earlier this year

"Not good for Puoch, the club, or the league."

Did anyone stop and think that maybe it's not a coincidence that Southside have started winning and playing much better since Puoch got benched and slashed her minutes.

Being long and athletic doesn’t always equal being good. Perhaps she should earn her minutes, she doesn’t play any defence, she’s a below average shooter and she can’t go left if her life depended on it. Huge upside don’t get me wrong, but she’s got a long, long way to go.

Reply #934839 | Report this post

Wnblfan  
Earlier this year

Agree that she has been overhyped and I hope it doesn't impact her draft/stash/camp experience. Hopefully the scouts have got look at players who could be worthy of a training camp contract if interested (Atwell? Can’t forget she made a roster last year) and also a prospect for the future (Jayda Clark is certainly holding her own as a true rookie in limited minutes).

Reply #934856 | Report this post

DMc  
Earlier this year

Alanna Smith to Minnesota on a 2 year deal.

And a couple of clubs (Liberty and Mystics) in talks with Didi Richards apparently (might explain her jump in WNBL form over the past few weeks?!).

Reply #935063 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Earlier this year

Amoore finding some form again. 2 good games in a row from her.

Reply #935236 | Report this post

Cosmo Spacely  
Earlier this year

Watched Amoore turn Georgia Woolley inside out about 20 times in their game against Syracuse , way to fast for her .

I don't think she is WNBA ( maybe get drafted and stashed or drafted and cut) but has to be nearly the best prospect coming back for WNBL next year. Would be a great fit in a team like Perth.

Reply #935258 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Earlier this year

She's a star college senior projected to be picked in the 1st round by most, so I doubt anyone is drafting her to stash her away.

Will she stick? Her size is against her for sure. 1st round picks don't tend to get cut in year 1 though so hopefully she is drafted early and gets every chance to succeed.

And yeah I agree her game suits the Lynx style perfectly. Make that happen, Ryan!

Reply #935260 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Earlier this year

Amoore unlikely to be stashed but Puoch almost definitely will be. As others have said too raw.

Georgia having a great season, Australia now has a decent stock of point guards. Reid, Amoore, Melbourne, Wallace - all can play the 1 and offer something different. Going to be interesting how things all shape up around LA28.

I think Smith will be a good fit on the Lynx, pleased she signed there, any news on what Allen is doing?

I chuckled seeing this bit of transaction news:

"Dec 11

The Minnesota Lynx renounced their rights to Kelsey Griffin."

Reply #935265 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two months ago

LV have said goodbye & thank you to Cayla George

A flurry of non-Aussie transactions happening, the biggest so far being Diggins-Smith signing with Seattle

https://www.wnba.com/players/transactions

Reply #935437 | Report this post

Bluey  
Two months ago

Diggins-Smith to Seattle is huge! Great signing

Reply #935454 | Report this post

DMc  
Two months ago

Bec Allen to Phoenix (for Mo Jefferson), and apparently Mercury are a preferred destination for Delle Donne as well.
That makes for a lot of veterans with higher than average injury risk that Phoenix will be relying on.

Reply #935574 | Report this post

Blues67  
Two months ago

Yes, Phoenix will be a flip of the coin on whether they have injury issues, roster looks good on paper but Delle Donne and Taurasi miss multiple games every year.
I love the addition of Cloud, arguably the best two way player in the league.

PG - Cloud
SG - Taurasi
SF - Allen
PF - Delle Donne
C - Griner

3 elite defensive players in Cloud, Allen and Griner

Reply #935579 | Report this post

JD14  
Two months ago

Any rumours on if another WNBA will recruit Cayla George since the Aces have let her go? I hope so! Also suprised they did not re-sign her after her finals performance, was outstanding.

Reply #935620 | Report this post

DMc  
Two months ago

At 34 years old I'd be very surprised if anyone was interested in signing her.

Reply #935639 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two months ago

Amy Atwell has signed a training camp contract with Phoenix :)

Reply #936183 | Report this post

Cosmo Spacely  
Two months ago

Hope Atwell can keep on her feet at the WNBA Trials , has become the biggest offensive flopper this season.

Reply #936241 | Report this post

DMc  
Two months ago

If you're referring to her not keeping her feet on tightly contested 3 point attempts, some would call it flopping, others would call it avoiding injury by not landing on the feet of over zealous defenders who take away her landing space.

Reply #936243 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two months ago

Bueckers made it official today that she's returning to UConn next season.

Reply #936427 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two months ago

Trying to be #1

Reply #936449 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two months ago

New ESPN mock

1. Indiana Fever: Caitlin Clark
2. Los Angeles Sparks: Cameron Brink
3. Chicago Sky: Rickea Jackson
4. Los Angeles Sparks: Kamilla Cardoso
5. Dallas Wings: Aaliyah Edwards
6. Washington Mystics: Angel Reese
7. Minnesota Lynx: Nyadiew Puoch
8. Chicago Sky: Alissa Pili
9. Dallas Wings: Georgia Amoore
10. Connecticut Sun: Jacy Sheldon
11. New York Liberty: Charisma Osborne
12. Atlanta Dream: Elizabeth Kitley

Reply #936799 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Two months ago

Amoore's season just keeps getting better, she should have a lot of attention towards her next month. Really curious how she'll eventually work out at pro level. Something like Steph Reid hustle with Whitcomb like shooting.

At Jaz Shelley's Nebraska they're currently embroiled in a coach/ex-player scandal. Big yikes there.

Reply #936807 | Report this post

Bluey  
Two months ago

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/womens-basketball/former-nebraska-womens-basketball-player-accuses-ex-coach-of-grooming-her-into-sexual-relationship/article_44239351-929d-5abc-8cfe-019a78d07679.html

Reply #936812 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Two months ago

https://www.beyondwomenssports.com/wnba-mock-draft-2-0-before-the-madness/

This mock lists
Puoch - 9
Borlase - 13
Amoore - 17
Shelley - 19
Loughridge - 29

That'd be quite the draft for Aussies

Reply #936963 | Report this post

frankie223  
Last month

On the NBL1 Central podcast they mentioned Ally Wilson has a training camp position with a WNBA side.

Reply #938403 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

A couple more recent mock drafts

WINSIDR: (2 people making picks)
1. Indiana Fever: Caitlin Clark / Caitlin Clark
2. Los Angeles Sparks: Cameron Brink / Cameron Brink
3. Chicago Sky: Rickea Jackson / Rickea Jackson
4. Los Angeles Sparks: Kamilla Cardoso, Alissa Pili
5. Dallas Wings: Jacy Sheldon / Alissa Pili
6. Washington Mystics: Georgia Amoore / Aaliyah Edwards
7. Minnesota Lynx: Taiyanna Jackson / Aaliyah Edwards
8. Chicago Sky: Jacy Sheldon / Kamilla Cardoso
9. Dallas Wings: Georgia Amoore / Charisma Osborne
10. Connecticut Sun: Angel Reese / Angel Reese
11. New York Liberty: Elizabeth Kitley / Elizabeth Kitley
12. Atlanta Dream: Taiyanna Jackson / Charisma Osborne

https://winsidr.com/2024/03/2024-wnba-mock-draft-2-0/

THE ATHLETIC:
1. Caitlin Clark
2. Cameron Brink
3. Rickea Jackson
4. Kamilla Cardoso
5. Georgia Amoore
6. Leila Lacan
7. Aaliyah Edwards
8. Angel Reese
9. Jacy Sheldon
10. Alissa Pili
11. Nyadiew Puoch
12. Charisma Osborne

https://theathletic.com/5353663/2024/03/20/wnba-mock-draft-angel-reese-caitlin-clark-ncaa-tournament/

Reply #938891 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

The draft is less than three weeks away, taking place April 15 in Brooklyn, N.Y., just eight days after the national championship. In anticipation of the event, eight WNBA general managers shared their candid opinions about the upcoming draft class with The Athletic before the NCAA Tournament. They were granted anonymity to allow them to speak openly.

Aussie excerpts:

are listed in alphabetical order.

Georgia Amoore
5-foot-6 guard
Virginia Tech
18.8 points per game (ppg), 6.8 assists per game (apg), 33.5 3-pt field goal percentage (3-pt fg%), 85.9 free-throw percentage (ft%)

• "I think most people will be willing to take on Amoore because she has a clear position of a one. Worst-case scenario, they may be able to turn her into a backup one, and being able to cement that position isn't anything small in this league. A backup one who can stretch the floor is a nice piece to add to your team. She may be the safest pick of all of (Jacy Sheldon, Jaylyn Sherrod and Hailey Van Lith)."

• “Amoore’s question is size. The question is can she do some of the same things offensively in college that she would need to do in the pros? Because length bothers her on some of her pick-and-rolls. I think she knows how to run a team extremely well.”

• “She’s got that ability that I think the highest-level point guards have, where they know not just who needs the ball, it’s how to manipulate the defense to get them the ball in their best situations to be successful, and the best timing.”

Isobel Borlase
5-11 guard
Adelaide Lightning (WNBL, Australia)
15.6 ppg, 4.7 rebounds per game (rpg), 2.5 apg, 1.8 steals per game (spg)

• “Borlase has a game that’s suited for Australia. I don’t know if it translates to our game.”

• “I think she does a really good job creating for herself. She can score in some ways that show that she has what I call the international maturity. You can tell that she’s been playing professional basketball. ... From what I’ve seen, I think that she could easily be in the first round.”

https://theathletic.com/5371404/2024/03/27/caitlin-clark-anonymous-wnba-gm-survey/

Reply #939517 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

Nyadiew Puoch
6-3 forward
Southside Flyers (WNBL)
6.2 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 1.0 apg, 18.3 mpg

"She's probably a year away from really having an impact in the W, but obviously she’s a talent teams are going to be looking to grab depending on how their roster looks now, and what it looks like in the future. I think she’s more of a four-three at her size, her length, her skill set, she can kind of do a little bit of everything. Her thing is going to be getting experience and getting stronger.

Reply #939518 | Report this post

Blues67  
Earlier this month

Amoore enters transfer portal

https://sports.yahoo.com/virginia-tech-guard-georgia-amoore-enters-transfer-portal-after-four-seasons-214353677.html

Reply #939706 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Earlier this month

New Mock out via ESPN.

1-Clark
2-Brink
3-Jackson
4-Cardoso(Brazil)
5-Edwards(Canada)
6-Sheldon
7-Reese
8-Borlase(Australia)
9-Pili
10-Fair
11-Osborne
12-Puoch(Australia)

Reply #939841 | Report this post

DMc  
Earlier this month

Fair drop for Puoch. Not sure if it's the pressure/distraction of the upcoming draft or something else, but she had a pretty underwhelming WNBL campaign and didn't look close to WNBA calibre in her NBL1 season opener tonight.

Reply #939856 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Earlier this month

Nah, disagree. She's always been a draft and stash move, so where she lands in these mocks is just an indicator of how much interest there is from teams. I think it's a good sign for both players they're still seen as first rounders.

On the NZ side, Leger-Walker was a predicted selection even with her injury but is going back to college. Charlotte Whittaker (Colorado) has also nominated (very low chance).

Reply #939876 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Earlier this month

Amoore -> Kentucky is official

Reply #939890 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Earlier this month

^ Also following them to UK are Clara Strack, and (aussie) Amelia Hassett

Reply #939893 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Earlier this month

Silva next

Reply #939895 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Earlier this month

I don't think it's a good choice but she'll do well. Risk of injury with any sport but shouldn't do her draft chances any harm. 2025 looks just as strong as this year and is the last extra year for college players (covid was how long ago now? wow).

Reply #939902 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Earlier this month

Hassett to a top conference shows you how poor the scouting is in Australia. Could not even make the second stage jnr n.t camps.
Bigs are much needed in the Australia system and yet another player in 6'6 Davis who got passed over in wa is set to join a high level D1 program and has been lost to the kiwis.

Reply #939915 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Earlier this month

Some recent mock drafts I came across

CBS

1. Indiana Fever: Caitlin Clark - G Iowa
2. Los Angeles Sparks: Cameron Brink – C, Stanford
3. Chicago Sky: Rickea Jackson – F, Tennessee
4. Los Angeles Sparks: Kamilla Cardoso – C, South Carolina
5. Dallas Wings: Jacy Sheldon – G, Ohio State
6. Washington Mystics: Aaliyah Edwards – F, UConn
7. Minnesota Lynx: Angel Reese – C, LSU
8. Chicago Sky: Nyadiew Puoch – F, Australia
9. Dallas Wings: Isobel Borlase – G, Australia
10. Connecticut Sun: Alissa Pili – F, Utah
11. New York Liberty: Charisma Osborne – G, UCLA
12. Atlanta Dream: Nika Muhl – G, UConn

The Sporting News

1. Indiana Fever: Caitlin Clark, Iowa
2. Los Angeles Sparks: Cameron Brink, Stanford
3. Chicago Sky (from Phoenix): Rickea Jackson, Tennessee
4. Los Angeles Sparks (from Seattle): Kamilla Cardoso, South Carolina
5. Dallas Wings (from Chicago): Aaliyah Edwards, Connecticut
6. Washington Mystics: Jacy Sheldon, Ohio State
7. Minnesota Lynx: Angel Reese, LSU
8. Chicago Sky (from Atlanta, via Los Angeles): Nyadiew Puoch, Southside Flyers (Australia)
9. Dallas Wings: Isobel Borlase, Adelaide Lightning (Australia)
10. Connecticut Sun: Alissa Pili, Utah
11. New York Liberty: Charisma Osborne, UCLA
12. Atlanta Dream (from Las Vegas, via Los Angeles): Leïla Lacan, Angers (France)

Tankathon

1 IND Caitlin Clark
2 LA Cameron Brink
3 CHI Rickea Jackson
4 LA Kamilla Cardoso
5 DAL Aaliyah Edwards
6 WSH Angel Reese
7 MIN Jacy Sheldon
8 CHI Alissa Pili
9 DAL Charisma Osborne
10 CON Nyadiew Puoch
11 NY Elizabeth Kitley
12 ATL Taiyanna Jackson

Reply #940147 | Report this post

Bluey  
Earlier this month

thanks Luuuc, not long to wait now

Reply #940152 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Earlier this month

https://www.beyondwomenssports.com/wnba-mock-draft-3-0-final-edition/#google_vignette

Puoch at 6 to Washington Mystics
Borlase at 11 to NY Liberty

Feel like it should be the reverse. Shelley also listen at 21. Likely the only one to go straight to a training camp, though if Brondello does draft Borlase may increase her chances given she was in the Brazil Opals already.

Reply #940241 | Report this post

DMc  
Earlier this month

So much variation- the latest one on ESPN has Borlase at 7 (1 ahead of Angel Reese) and Puoch at 13 (1st pick of second round), and Shelley at 17.

https://www.espn.com.au/wnba/story/_/id/39912308/wnba-mock-draft-2024-clark-iowa-angel-reese-kamilla-cardoso

Reply #940246 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Earlier this month

Yeah I think it's quite an open draft and the "draft n stash" players have a role in that, it's all about a team weighing up the now vs future. Mock drafts are now in the "itk" week where people have talked to teams more so have better goss of what theyre doing. I think top 2 are locks obviously, 3 and 4 it just depends on order and really it's Dallas at 5 that will make things interesting, they'll shape the rest of draft.

Reply #940303 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Earlier this month

15 to attend the lottery.

Clark
Brink
Jackson
Cardoso
Reese
Davis
Edwards
Fair
Kitley
Muhl
Osborne
Pili
Sheldon
Taylor
Puoch ... <

Reply #940387 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two weeks ago

Reply #940625 | Report this post

+  
Two weeks ago

it's a very good draft year - wouldn't be surprised if no aussies get drafted and wouldn't be surprised if 2 or 3 do - I'm starting to doubt if we will have any first rounders

Reply #940626 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Two weeks ago

Mate, Borlase and Puoch are locks. Puoch is invited to their show which is basically all the top talent. Shelley close to a 2/3rd Rd lock as it comes too.

It's not the draft that's the challenge, it's making the final roster from training camp.

Reply #940627 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two weeks ago

Shelley drafted but unlikely to play a wnba game.
Borlase and Puoch picked 7 to 15. then probably both stashed, or just 1.

Not alot of room on current rosters to push established players out.

Reply #940628 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two weeks ago

Exactly.
Only 12 teams in the league (thank goodness expansion is about to start) with only 11 or 12 players per team, just doesn't leave room for a heap of new blood.
And even when people talk about strong vs weak draft classes, that is typically only referring to the first round.

Reply #940632 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two weeks ago

It's pretty nicely set up for Sandy to pick an aussie

Reply #940635 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two weeks ago

Puoch is selected at #12 by Atlanta

Reply #940637 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two weeks ago

Borlase is selected at #20 - also by Atlanta

Reply #940640 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two weeks ago

Jaz Shelley taken at #29 by Phoenix

Reply #940641 | Report this post

LC  
Two weeks ago

Now the work begins...

Would not surprise is none of the three play in the WNBA this season, but are gearing towards 2025 and beyond.

Reply #940642 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two weeks ago

Reply #940644 | Report this post

+  
Two weeks ago

Caitlin Clark - so classy, stylish and well presented - whoever her advisor / manager is - great work. Brink - wow, just wow. So many stylish players - just lifted the bar on drafts - well spoken - definitely on teh up.

Reply #940647 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two weeks ago

Some odd picks I reckon, too early.

Leite 9
Lacan 10
Maxwell 13
Martinez 17
Martin 18
Truong 21

Some steals later in the draft imo

Borlase 20
Pueyo 22
Kitley 24
Correa 27

Reply #940651 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two weeks ago

Yeah I was surprised Kitley fell so far.
For many teams, her being unavailable this year would be a plus rather than a minus (as evidenced by all the other stash type picks that were made).

Reply #940652 | Report this post

LC  
Two weeks ago

Kitley was waaaay too low. Steal IMO.

Reply #940653 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two weeks ago

People saying no drafted Aussie will play this season.

Also, 2025 draft Amoore slipped to second round.

Reply #940656 | Report this post

Blues67  
Two weeks ago

Shelley could be one of those players a victim of not enough teams in the league. Attend training camp and then getting cut.

Did teams get put off by the medical of Borlase? Weird how she dropped so far. To my knowledge, she's not even playing NBL1 and placing an emphasis on letting her back injury heal, something she has managed over the past 12 months.

The earliest she will be in the league is 2025, maybe 2026 and at 19 this is a smart decision.

Hope Puoch does the same but she may attend training camp considering she attended the draft in person.

Reply #940658 | Report this post

Blues67  
Two weeks ago

Kitley - great get for Aces.
Let her rehab and then learn from Wilson. Nice option coming off the bench in 20025

Reply #940659 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two weeks ago

No Leger-walker picked up, injury cost her no doubt.

Amoore next year.
Might be a while before we see another Australian drafted.

Best chance probably
Clark (05)(2025), maybe Woolley(02), both late 3rd.
Shiels(06)(2026), needs to massively improve on defense.
(07)(2027)-depends on wnbl or ncaa pathway. Somfais stock I think will go down, Halls up.

Reply #940661 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two weeks ago

Atlanta currently

Canada / Durr / Villa*
Gray / Powers / Borlase*
Howard / Jones / Puoch*
Coffey / Amihere / Hillmon / Cave*
Charles / Parker / Cubaj*

*unlikely

Reply #940668 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Two weeks ago

Leger-Walker is in the transfer portal, she didn't nominate for the draft.

I think the draft worked out okay for the Aussies. Atlanta stashing all their picks, gives us another year of Puoch and Borlase here. The former definitely needs the game time opportunity and the latter time to heal?

Reply #940673 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two weeks ago

Agreed. It worked out well.
And while the chances of pick #29 ending up on a roster are generally infinitesimal, the one team it might just happen with is Phoenix.

The next important step is getting Puoch to a WNBL team that will actually help her career instead of stifling it.

Reply #940674 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two weeks ago

Not gonna be on the team this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZnzgHLd4Ns

Reply #940675 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two weeks ago

Way-too-early 2025 mock

https://theathletic.com/5421511/2024/04/17/paige-bueckers-uconn-2025-wnba-draft-big-board/

1. Paige Bueckers | 5-11 guard | Connecticut
2. Kiki Iriafen | 6-3 forward | Stanford (transfer portal)
3. Sonia Citron | 6-1 guard | Notre Dame
4. Georgia Amoore | 5-6 guard | Kentucky
5. Ayoka Lee | 6-6 center | Kansas State
6. Maddy Westbeld | 6-3 forward | Notre Dame
7. Aneesah Morrow | 6-1 forward | LSU
8. Olivia Miles | 5-10 guard | Notre Dame*
9. Te-Hina Paopao | 5-9 guard | South Carolina
10. Azzi Fudd | 5-11 guard | UConn*
11. Serena Sundell | 6-1 guard | Kansas State
12. Rayah Marshall | 6-4 forward/center | USC
13. Emily Ryan | 5-11 guard | Iowa State
14. Charlisse Leger-Walker | 5-10 guard | (Washington State) transfer portal
15. Aicha Coulibaly | 6-0 guard | Texas A&M
16. Gianna Kneepkens | 5-11 guard | Utah*
17. Rori Harmon | 5-6 guard | Texas
18. Raven Johnson | 5-8 guard | South Carolina*
19. Shyanne Sellers | 6-2 guard | Maryland
20. Saniya Rivers | 6-1 guard | NC State
21. Alyssa Ustby | 6-1 forward | North Carolina
22. Aubrey Griffin | 6-1 forward | Connecticut
23. Aaliyah Nye | 6-0 guard | Alabama
24. Madison Scott | 6-1 forward | Ole Miss

Reply #940791 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Last week

Another has Amoore as a late 2nd Rd pick (24)

https://www.beyondwomenssports.com/2025-wnba-mock-draft-the-way-too-early-edition/

Reply #940907 | Report this post

Cool Howie  
Last week

24 is way too low for Amoore.

Reply #940913 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:55 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754