JustWannaHoop
Last year

NBL1 Central 2024 Season - Updates

So there seems to lots of movement going on - what is everyone's take on what's going on.

I see Martin has moved to South Adelaide and Smith is back for another season.

Mavericks are throwing some serious money out there with their recent signings of Webb, Edwards and Rawls. Could this season be the one where they may make the top 5.

What do you think is the biggest player move/signing out there?

Topic #51669 | Report this topic

Rhino  
Last year

Jeremy Smith at South. Such a good scorer at NBL1 level. They will be a tough side to beat.

Reply #932709 | Report this post

+  
Last year

is DJ around for the NBL 1 season ?

Reply #932722 | Report this post

+  
Last year

south in men and Norwood in women - my picks for titleholders

Reply #932724 | Report this post

Sub Me In  
Last year

I agree that South look the goods in the men's unless Deano has a few surprises up his sleeve.
Woodville will be strong again this year.
Champions - South

Not sure about Norwood in women's. Will Wilson return this year?
I see that Kerridge has moved to Southern & Thompson to Woodville from the results in the reserves.
Norwood could be a very young list.
North could be a mover with Basham, Mansfield & now Batish.
Sturt are always around the mark.
Champions - Sturt

Reply #932758 | Report this post

+  
Last year

Yet again another year - have 2-3 good imports and a couple of local top level players = title. hard to do it with 1 good import. Be interesting who buys up mid season too - once teams have had a chance to identify where their shortfalls are. Generous sponsors will play a big part - teams that have had top imports have won for quite a few years.

Reply #932759 | Report this post

';'  
Last year

Here no one wants to go to Norwood women due to coach. Wilson will return if she gets the money.

Centrals Women will be strong along with a lot of Clubs around the same mark South women will be average with a lot of movement between girls teams

Men, Eastern are looking good, South will be very good along with West and Forestville. West have some good returning players.

Reply #932761 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Last year

What's wrong with the Norwood women’s coach?

Reply #932774 | Report this post

SamCro  
Last year

Wilson definitely not returning to Flames, Flames will return next to no players from their GF Winning Team. Flames will be strong contenders for the wooden spoon next season!

Reply #932784 | Report this post

Pasadena 72  
Last year

Will either championship team return many, if any, players?

Sounds like both last years runners up could return most of their core and start the season favourites.

Reply #932787 | Report this post

+  
Last year

how close are local girls Kelsey Rees and Lizzy Williamson to completing college - both would be great additions to the local NBL 1 - is Darcy Rees at South again ?

Reply #932794 | Report this post

Denny Crane  
Last year

Rumour is Wilson not returning to SA, as her partner is interstate.

I think Norwood will have many new faces, especially since they spent a lot of money mid year to bring in people to win the championship.

In saying that, I think many of the juniors could get a bit from the Dickel.

West men, well like it was said earlier, what is Dean buying this year?
He did it at Southern, then North, now West. Spend big in year 1, then cause the club mens program to look like basket case.

Sturt are sturt. Competitive every year, as are Southern.

Centrals may make finals for the first time since Jess Mahoney carried them for that year.

Norfff should be up there too, especially with the addition of Batish. She can play a more agile type of 4/5 spot, where last year their import was, well let's just say it, she was a Goober.

Woodville women will be woodville women....

South women will be interesting. Turnbull taking over from the Dickel, remember Turnbull was at Sturt and rumour is he departed due to the ladies not liking his communication style.

Reply #932810 | Report this post

+  
Last year

surely norwood will buy up again ?

Reply #932812 | Report this post

+  
Last year

Denny - no mention of Mavs ? - they will do well in both men and women - just signed a 200 cm female player and some good mens signings already. Unless other teams get some legit bigs they will not get it done in 24.

Reply #932915 | Report this post

Denny Crane  
Last year

Mavs have been disappointing for the past few years.
I would expect that to change this year.

I remember when Mavs men used to be made up of big country men. Now it's their under 18 boys add a couple.

They are the centrals women from the past few years, of the men's competition

Reply #933092 | Report this post

Esky68  
Last year

None of those u18 mavs boys look even close to NBL1 standard. None of them will make the 12, if even reserves.

I'm expecting the mount gambier coach to bring in a bunch of mount gambier reserves players plus some interstate guys, maybe a guard import? Either way I'm expecting them to be bottom 3

Reply #933213 | Report this post

Denny Crane  
Last year

Might as well put in Western Magic into the comp.... give Mavs and Southern someone to beat

Reply #933220 | Report this post

JustWannaHoop  
Earlier this year

Rumor is DJ is heading back to Eagles with the help of Doyle!

Reply #933434 | Report this post

';'  
Earlier this year

Dj definitely back to Fville , They will be very strong along with West with some returning big names, South Men and maybe Eastern Men.

Reply #933528 | Report this post

Esky68  
Earlier this year

Eastern seems to be getting a couple of decent guards from interstate...But do they have any good wings/bigs? They'll need a good-scoring big import like Hemphill from last year. The current bigs and wings they have playing in reserves right now don't seem to have any scoring abilities whatsoever albeit decent communicators and playmakers, and their reserves guards are flat-out terrible. Depth is gonna be a big issue with them

Reply #933566 | Report this post

';'  
Earlier this year

Rankings:

Men

West
Forestville
South
Eastern
Norwood
North
Sturt
Woodville
Southern
Centrals

Women

Centrals
North
Sturt is Williams plays
Forestville if Borlase plays
Southern
South
West
Eastern
Woodville
Norwood

Once more recruits start being announced it could change my rankings

Reply #933786 | Report this post

NBL1 Central Fan  
Earlier this year

';' I would be interested to hear your reasoning for your top 4 rankings in the men. Eastern are extremely high and South probably too low.

South men have announced a formidable roster, but I haven’t seen many signings from West? Why rank them and F’Ville above South?

Norwood will be sneakily strong.

Reply #933848 | Report this post

Sub Me In  
Earlier this year

Men's
South
Forestville
West
Woodville
North
Norwood
Sturt
Eastern
Southern
Centrals

Women’s
Sturt
West
Centrals
North
Southern
Forestville
South
Woodville
Norwood
Eastern

Could change with signings being announced over the next few weeks.
Southern, Sturt and West seem quiet with squad announcements in the women’s and West, Sturt and Norwood on the men’s side.
I’m sure they all have things up their sleeves.

Reply #933849 | Report this post

';'  
Earlier this year

Central Fan,,Yes South will be very good but i hear Smith will arrive later in the season. West have held some of their recruits from last year with another NBL player possibly joining them. Think the top 3 will be close By what Eastern have recruited and with their new coach I think they will be around the mark.

Reply #933858 | Report this post

JT  
Two months ago

Norwood have done some solid recruiting - Hemphill, Harrap, Morrow, Osborne, bringing back Miller Jose.

South will be tough again, basically their title team back plus Tom Kubank. Starling hasn't be announced, I presume this will happen?

Forestville will be tough as always.

Southern rebuilding under Lake, should improve.

West have brought in Mirko Djeric, surely some more high profile signings to come?

Any other news getting around?

Reply #935676 | Report this post

Sub Me In  
Two months ago

Centrals men's look to have added 4 good signings over the last few weeks Richards, Dau, Sapwell, Jenkins and their women topping up an already strong list with import Ritz.

Feel that Southern's Men are in for another long year with Eastern & Centrals both improving their rosters from last year.

Do we think that McCarron & Olbrich will return for West?

Reply #936767 | Report this post

Silent Observer  
Last month

Few more late moves, where is the hype for this upcoming season

Reply #937749 | Report this post

bcat  
Last month

west not naming anyone in the mens program, apart from a washed up ex townsville croc?

1 week to go?

Reply #938667 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last month

Mirko is not that washed up to torch the Central league

Reply #938670 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:50 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754