Ben
Earlier this year

United @ Sixers - Sat 6th Jan

The second of tonight's double header tips 8:00pm VIC/NSW.

Not expecting a change of form from Adelaide, and United should take this comfortably.

United by 12.

Topic #51700 | Report this topic

Another Anon  
Earlier this year

If United really want to, this should be 20+

Reply #933578 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this year

Yes, Sixers best player, Humphries v JLA and Hukporti and it's where to next. Think united will play the bench a lot down the stretch but don’t expect anything less than twenty plus.

Reply #933579 | Report this post

SmallieBiggs  
Earlier this year

Any news if Travers playing?

Reply #933588 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Earlier this year

Hoping Scotty Ninnis has done due diligence prep and the team can this time defend ( in principle ) Spanish action.

Hoping DJV and Kell put more effort in fighting through/over screens, someone needs to show them video of Darnell Mee who excelled in the effort stakes.

Happy to always have one of Flowers or Marshall on the court. They are our only genuine small forwards and our team is so unathletic that it's impossible to defend and rebound without one of them out there, even despite their lack of experience.

Reply #933590 | Report this post

Spinner  
Earlier this year

Darnel Mee still looks fit. Get him to suit up instead of McCarran lol

Reply #933602 | Report this post

Ben  
Earlier this year

So the Sixers are rolling out a retro look for tonight's game many will fondly remember.

Unfortunately I don’t think tonight’s performance will in any way befit their champion counterparts of yesteryear. The Adelaide crowd could only hope.

Reply #933604 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Earlier this year

Wiley is looking woeful, even more so in defence. Lazy on switches and no help. Not sure why they put up with it but not many other options I guess

Reply #933606 | Report this post

LaPark  
Earlier this year

DJV on a hot streak, but he inevitably cools down after those periods. Galloway finishing strong at the rim too.

Actually hitting some 3's and scoring off of turnovers, usually things they don't do, but remains to be seen how long they can keep that up for.

Reply #933607 | Report this post

Ben  
Earlier this year

Adelaide currently making me eat crow (see what I did there) - up 27-23 at Q1.

No Travers for United.

What's the go with Flowers, hasn’t taken the court, is he injured?

Tbh, Sixers rotation isn’t looking a great deal different from what CJ was doing.

Reply #933608 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this year

A very nice 1st quarter by Sixers, nice to see Galloway on in first quarter and doing well. DJV shooting lights out.

Reply #933609 | Report this post

SmallieBiggs  
Earlier this year

Seems to be a good energy after the championship reunion.

Reply #933611 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this year

Bowen is a very good player

Reply #933612 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this year

Refs been really good so far, letting them bang bodies underneath but call hand fouls, keep it up.

Reply #933614 | Report this post

LaPark  
Earlier this year

Those are always a killer. Kell can't even hit the rim on a wide open 3 and then Delly nails one on the other end to give MU some momentum heading into the last 90 seconds of the half.

Reply #933615 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this year

Good game, Sixers doing very nicely, Humphries on offensive end is mega, they got get a defensive either 3/4 around him to help. Obviously long way to go. Very good crowd again.
United got work to do but should get there.

Reply #933617 | Report this post

LaPark  
Earlier this year

Crowd was announced as sold out before the game started, so I imagine it'll be in the 9200-9400 range again.

Reply #933618 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this year

Kell chucks up rubbish at one end, Goulding punishes you at the other. Why start Cadee in 3rd quarter, it's really admitting you need a point guard.

Reply #933620 | Report this post

Ben  
Earlier this year

I love Tanner's dedication to his Nsync hairstyle. You do you man.

Reply #933622 | Report this post

LaPark  
Earlier this year

Was zero need for Kell to put up that shot either. Was a bit of ego since he'd nailed the previous two and thought he'd keep going with a hot hand whether it was a good shot or not.

DJV doing a bit of the same, but he's nailing his and at least mixing it up a bit more driving in.

Reply #933623 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Earlier this year

Surely not.....

Reply #933624 | Report this post

LaPark  
Earlier this year

36ers did well to put that lead back out there. They'll probably need it to have a chance to pinch this one.

Reply #933625 | Report this post

Ben  
Earlier this year

Adelaide lead by 11 with 10 minutes to play.

Do the Sixer faithful dare dream of their team pulling of the season's biggest upset?

Reply #933626 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this year

I'm seeing but I’m not believing just yet, refs been great, as I’ve said previously, it great when they have to worry about yelling coaches, hello dean.

Reply #933627 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this year

Best crowd, Sixers deserve a win

Reply #933628 | Report this post

LaPark  
Earlier this year

Interesting lineup to go with considering Kell is the only one on the court that's a threat to actually score.

Reply #933629 | Report this post

Ben  
Earlier this year

Crowd seems super pumped, just like the good old days when the Sixers were winning games.

Reply #933630 | Report this post

LaPark  
Earlier this year

The basketball gods are on your side when you get that JLA play followed by a Wiley 3 on the other end.

Reply #933631 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Earlier this year

Cannot believe we are going to pull this off.

Reply #933632 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this year

Dech got play to his strengths, not chucking up threes.

Reply #933633 | Report this post

Ben  
Earlier this year

Ohhhhh shit. 1:44 on the clock and the lead is down to 4.

Reply #933634 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this year

Kell, what the f..k. Cadee is out there to have the ball in his hands

Reply #933635 | Report this post

LaPark  
Earlier this year

Cadee rebound and Kell with the big 3 off of it might have been the game saver there.

Reply #933636 | Report this post

Ducky  
Earlier this year

Kell looking like a better option than Gary Browne

Reply #933637 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this year

Kell and Wiley make some very poor decisions

Reply #933638 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this year

United certainly beatable, still favourites but got a few struggling a bit.

Reply #933639 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Earlier this year

Nice reward for the loyal sixers fans who keep packing out the place.

Reply #933640 | Report this post

LaPark  
Earlier this year

36ers didn't shoot like absolute trash from 3 for once and look what happened!

Reply #933641 | Report this post

Ben  
Earlier this year

What Luuuc said. Fitting night for an unexpected w.

Reply #933642 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this year

Congratulations sixers, bones of a good side. Is Ninnis the right coach with a few players out and a few better in?

Reply #933645 | Report this post

LaPark  
Earlier this year

Part of the problem with Ninnis is he's so desperate for the job he'll probably do everything that is asked of him by the people who've slowly ground the club down into what it's become, which makes him entirely the wrong person to be in charge.

About the only solution I see is someone like Goorjian who has enough cachet to tell GK to keep his nose out of it.

Reply #933647 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Earlier this year

Surprisingly again United bigs partly nullified by Humphries.

really like the fact that the 36ers ran some of the old stack plays,
old retro offence to match the uniforms.
Wonder if it was Smyth or Mee who walked them through at a training LOL.

United very complacent. Was Goulding really going to wait until the 4th quarter before he kicked in defensively, but he was not alone.

Reply #933650 | Report this post

KET  
Earlier this year

The old 36ers logo and jerseys are so much better. Boy do I miss them!

Bring them back permanently alongside the yellow away jerseys.

Reply #933651 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Earlier this year

Thank god we got that win. For once the whole night was good. Loved to see Mee back shame KB was not there. Sunday was huge locking up Goulding and everyone just doing their bit.

Reply #933652 | Report this post

Ben  
Earlier this year

Why didn't Flowers play? I wasn’t listening to the commentary, guessing injury/illness?

Reply #933653 | Report this post

Titan 30  
Earlier this year

Owner not sitting behind the coach, 36ers win.....

Coincidence?

Reply #933654 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Earlier this year

I also liked the yellow away kit,

but I suspect that the league has now mandated that every away team has to wear white.

Reply #933655 | Report this post

Rat10  
Earlier this year

That was an awesome game to be at, such a great atmosphere. Credit where credit is due, Scotty pulled all the right levers and our 3rd qtr which has been woeful in recent times was excellent. Also fantastic to see Scotty losing patience with Flowers and benching him for the entire game.

We did need Trey Kell and DJV to be shooting at excellent clips and Travers to not play to get that W but I'll take it.

Reply #933656 | Report this post

LV  
Earlier this year

If Adelaide played like that every game, they definitely wouldn't be last!

Reply #933657 | Report this post

+  
Earlier this year

Ninnis and 36ers were 100% right on the ball being out of court Melbourne baseline in the 3rd quarter. When Melbourne flicked it back in to an open inside key shot. Watched the replay and it hit the ground outside the line.

Reply #933658 | Report this post

+  
Earlier this year

it's so important for 36ers to be winning these sold out home games. If they are selling out when the bottom team - how hard are tickets going to be if they have a good season ? What sort of crowd is basketball capable of getting in Adelaide ? AEC sells out around 10,000 - what if there was a stadium that could hold 20,000 ? On a good season and a grand final series with the 36ers playing well - they could get 15-20,000 to a grand final game.

AEC is such a good night out - NBL is putting on a very entertaining night with all the frills / activities.

Reply #933659 | Report this post

LV  
Earlier this year

Adelaide were good tonight, but no one should be surprised at United dropping a few games. This happens regularly in professional sport, in fact this year AFL was another example with Collingwood dropping a few games late in the season. They've played Cairns who were rebounding on NYE, then Adelaide in the 25 year celebration, both teams played well while United wasn't on their game and sloppy at times, Clark and JLA in particular have gone right off. They'll be back in form when it matters. Not concerned about these losses.

Reply #933660 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Earlier this year

It doesn't really mean anything in the grand scheme of things.

Reply #933661 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Earlier this year

@Titan 30 I noticed that too. Hopefully he learns and moves away from the team to more appropriate seats.

Flowers didnt play because he isn't good enough and has too much risk when on court. The kid is a young 18. See how he was behaving post game? Not smart enough to realise they won because he wasn't out there causing problems. If he was mature he would take on board a DNP CD and push himself to get better.

Everyone that stepped on court for Adelaide last night contributed positively. Long time overdue for Adelaide fans.

Reply #933663 | Report this post

AngusH  
Earlier this year

Credit to Ninnis for having the balls to yank DJ when he started stopping the ball and throwing up rubbish in the 3rd Q, even with how well he'd been shooting for the most part prior to that.

Reply #933664 | Report this post

Beantown  
Earlier this year

I couldn't see the owner. Was he actually at the game?

It was great to see everyone who stepped on the floor contribute last night. Really good team win, led by Kell, Humphries and DJ.

Marshall into the starting lineup is a good idea. Given a chance in the last few weeks, he has shown much improved ball-handling and is now blowing by defenders who try to get up in his grille. He made a couple of impactful defensive plays too in the second half and got screwed defending that Goulding three point shot.

It was actually good to see Galloway foul out in a way too. It shows he's being more physical and aggressive defensively, which is what the team needs. He's not going to play more than about 12 mins at the moment, so he doesn't need to worry about fouls. He just needs to battle and not let opposing centres walk all over him like he has tended to do in the past.

Reply #933665 | Report this post

KET  
Earlier this year

"but I suspect that the league has now mandated that every away team has to wear white."

If this is the case that is disappointing. Just have home/away/clash to ensure no ridiculousness!

“it's so important for 36ers to be winning these sold out home games.”

Absolutely, couldn't agree more!

Reply #933667 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Earlier this year

Sixers looked good with dj and Kell on the wings and Marshall/Cadee handling the ball and getting ball to them off the screen. When Sixers pass the ball around with speed, they are difficult to defend as can end up with players like dj or Wiley cutting hard to the basket for layups. Some very tough shots made by both dj and Kell, problem is they won't shoot like that every game and win/lose is based on them having big games.
Starling does a great job doing little things, some nice defensive plays. On offence some good passes and he also holds his man out giving a lane to ball carrier. Very smart. Be good if his finishing was at nbl level.m
Bad turnovers by Kell down the stretch. Lost ball over halfway in double team and twice on the inbound going to the corner and getting doubled. Pretty bad for an import guard.
Great crowd, very vocal. Some situations with Goulding allowing crowd to stick it to him. He was whinging to refs from the very start about being defended, not getting calls. He is not a great defender, I though Cadee and others should have attacked him more when he had 4 fouls.

Reply #933675 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Earlier this year

Need to stop the gimmick of getting crowd to stand up at start of 3rd qtr until they score. It's not an Adelaide thing and the opposition has scored straight away most times it's been done. Crowd seems to just go along with it to be polite.

Reply #933680 | Report this post

KET  
Earlier this year

Agreed!

Reply #933682 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Earlier this year

Not me, I stay seated. I don't like when you try and force a new tradition. That said if kids like it, go for it, just not my thing.

Reply #933705 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Earlier this year

Was brilliant having Thunderstruck playing at start of game like they used to at powerhouse. Keep it.

Reply #933728 | Report this post

JCK98  
Earlier this year

"I also liked the yellow away kit, but I suspect that the league has now mandated that every away team has to wear white."

Brisbane wore yellow last year, Cairns wear a light browny gold, Tasmania started wearing yellow this year and New Zealand have been wearing their blue away for years. Perth also have a black away jersey this year that they wore today along with their white.

Reply #933754 | Report this post

KET  
Earlier this year

"Was brilliant having Thunderstruck playing at start of game like they used to at powerhouse. Keep it."

Yes!!!

I noticed it in the background of the coverage.

Also noticed the 36ers anthem played, that was a bit cringe.

Reply #933759 | Report this post

KET  
Earlier this year

Just have Home/Clash 1/Clash 2

36ers: Royal blue, Yellow, Red (think Lightning jerseys)
Brisbane: Blue, Yellow, Maroon (Qld represent)
Cairns: Orange, Brown (current), Navy
Sydney: Purple, Yellow, Black
Illawarra: Red, Black, white & teal (old Wollongong represent)
Melbourne: Navy Blue, Light Blue, Red & Yellow (Tigers represent)
SEM: Black, Light Green, White
Perth: Red, Black, White
Tasmania: Green, Yellow, White
NZ: Pink, Light blue, Black (Tallblacks represent)

Reply #933760 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Earlier this year

To restrict Goulding to seven shots is a hell of a defensive effort by Adelaide. The last time he had so few attempts in the NBL was almost two years ago against the JJs in a dead rubber game when he took five.

Reply #933768 | Report this post

AlphabetA  
Earlier this year

Dech and Marshall need to recognize that and focus on doing it every single game against main players on the opposing teams. Same with KG, he played well, but some decisions on the offensive end were head scratchers.

Reply #933779 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Earlier this year

I don't think Goulding was super engaged from the get go. Very early on he was 'talking’ to refs instead of huddling up with his on court team mates

But Yes Marshall and Dech did a great job defensively but also I think Marshall Dech and Cadee bringing the ball up was not a coincidence either ( it was always Gouldings man ). Slowing down Goulding you need to really focus on keeping him very busy at both ends. I know teams have been doing this for a while, but as Forde recently demonstrated it needs to be a real maximum focus.

Reply #933781 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Earlier this year

Dech kępt Cotton to 2 points when guarding him in the Perth game

Reply #933784 | Report this post

Ski 61  
Earlier this year

The 36ers need to rebrand back to their old logo and colour scheme, it's way better. No need to change a great logo. The current one is so terrible and is a bird for some reason

Reply #933788 | Report this post

Beantown  
Earlier this year

Q Anon, yes Dech did well against Cotton earlier in the season. The Sixers also ran a different defence in that game, where they were able to keep Isaac out of pick and rolls involving Cotton. I was surprised we didn't do the same thing in our recent loss!

I also loved having Thunderstruck back to start the game. Always amps everyone up! Should roll with it more often!

On the jerseys, I would actually love a return to a primarily red singlet. A bit like the old state of origin footy jerseys from the 80s. Then use blue and yellow as minor colours.

Reply #933789 | Report this post

LaPark  
Earlier this year

6ers gonna wear the old jersey again against Sydney and sounds like they may try and switch to it for home games for the rest of the year.

Reply #933869 | Report this post

Ski 61  
Earlier this year

It's the right decision. Hopefully the store can restock them soon too.

I think it's time for a reverse rebrand back to the old colors and logo.

Reply #933874 | Report this post

LaPark  
Earlier this year

Ninnis also saying Flowers may not play again against Sydney due to suffering a "knee knock", so assuming that's what kept him out against Melbourne even though he was dressed to play. Didn't train on Tuesday.

Reply #933875 | Report this post

LV  
Earlier this year

United will now get tested without Ili and JLA.

Reply #933917 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this year

Both JLA and Illi have been slightly down in recent games, United depth is good though

Reply #933919 | Report this post

LV  
Earlier this year

Ili was a huge factor last year (something like 11-3 with him and 4-10 without him, although that may be somewhat skewed by Marcus Lee joining the team and playing most of the same games Ili did)

But with the guard depth this year - and Delly especially with similar strengths- hopefully United can cover him.

We'll need Clark and CG to get their mojo back offensively, with JLA out.

Reply #933925 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:52 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754