Bballfan
Earlier this year

HP Appointment - Female Pathways

Basketball SA has announced Dee Branford as the inaugural High-Performance Pathways Leader (Women).

I have limited information about her credentials - is it a good appointment?

Men equivalent has not been announced, yet.

Topic #51742 | Report this topic

Blues67  
Earlier this year

Not sure about any previous coaching experience other than what I googled and the article doesn't really mention it. Recent coaching looks like she has a child that plays at Forestville and she was their U10’s age group coordinator for a period of time. She also was involved as an assistant coach with their women’s NBL1 team, this was a few years ago though.
Her playing experience is impressive and looks like she has lived the complete junior HP pathway through to the CoE. If she’s a good communicator it may be a real positive for their HP girls.

Reply #934605 | Report this post

Footloose  
Earlier this year

Is Branford her married name? If so, what is her maiden name?

Reply #934613 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Earlier this year

It might help a little if you search for Dee Ranford as a start (instead of Branford).

It has been her name for the past 20 years (to my knowledge) so most likely her surname from birth.

Reply #934619 | Report this post

Footloose  
Earlier this year

Played WNBL for Perth & Rangers back in the day? Good get

Reply #934620 | Report this post

Isaac  
Earlier this year

Also played for the Lightning if I'm remembering the right person?

Reply #934621 | Report this post

Pasadena 72  
Earlier this year

As we have seen good players always make good coaches. Having relevant coaching experience must not have been a requirement for this role. Certainly an interesting choice. Look forward to seeing who is selected for the boys role.

Reply #934622 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Earlier this year

She did indeed

Reply #934623 | Report this post

Footloose  
Earlier this year

from memory she was more of a bench player at WNBL level Pasadena & they often do make very good coaches.

Reply #934624 | Report this post

Maddog  
Earlier this year

So we are crossing our fingers she'll be a good HP coach because she played pro basketball?
False logic.
Just because I had a teacher for 15 years of my life doesn’t mean I’ll make a good teacher.

My question is who is going to clean up after Tim?

Reply #934626 | Report this post

Pasadena 72  
Earlier this year

Ah of course. The more mediocre the player the better the coach. Also a can't miss formula.

Reply #934628 | Report this post

Footloose  
Earlier this year

yeah you're right, coaches that never played at all are sooooo much better

Reply #934629 | Report this post

Pasadena 72  
Earlier this year

I think coaches who have coached are usually more suited to coaching roles. But I'm sure her experience will hold her in good stead.

Reply #934645 | Report this post

Jayhoops  
Earlier this year

If the rumours circulating are true, this was a shambolic selection process! For the sake of the SA community, hopefully these are just rumours and that Ranford is the right person for the job. The lack of coaching experience on her resume is concerning though, and many I've spoken to are questioning why such a drastic shift was necessary given the recent success of the female HP program.

Reply #934652 | Report this post

Maddog  
Earlier this year

Jayhoops, because the guy running the show is making things up as he goes.
His GM experience was running a business that continually made a loss and relied on grants because no one attended their games.

The real issue is who appointed him. They avoid scrutiny, why?

Basketball is run so poorly in this country.

Reply #934654 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Earlier this year

What would make the selection process shambolic?

Reply #934735 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:08 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754