Bballfan
Earlier this year

Turning a club around

Are there any examples of clubs from across Australia that have been very successful in their junior programs in the past, but have fallen on lean times before rebuilding to return to the top again?

Topic #51756 | Report this topic

Billy Bob  
Earlier this year

Dandenong. Harvey has really returned them to the top after moving from nunawading. Before her arrival they were really dropping fast.

Reply #935051 | Report this post

+  
Earlier this year

any club needs to know it's identity first and have people on board that are on the same page. Also depends what you call successful - some not worried about court results just want faces that fit

Reply #935057 | Report this post

+  
Earlier this year

also clarify what you mean by lean - i.e. winning titles, no stadium, playing numbers down, financial, outlook, experience, interest ?

Reply #935058 | Report this post

Hoopin’ in the burbs  
Earlier this year

Dandy is a great example of that. I agree. Best example I can think of in recent times? But also think the definition of success is relevant. Winning? Sustainability? Dandy are winning again but have they recovered from whatever financial mess they were in?
Only other club I can think of that took a recent dive is Hawthorn? but the recovery there would be different. Dandenong is the only rep program in its area. It just needed better leadership it seems. Hawthorn is in an area that has a few rep level options, and so the recovery is not going to take anywhere near the same path.
Maybe Knox is another example? They went through it (financial issues) and at least to my knowledge recovered. But like dandy, the locals are not smothered with rep basketball options like those inner suburbs.

Reply #935073 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Earlier this year

Lean reference is about winning titles. Why did Dandy decline? What did Harvey do? Was it a quick or slow turnaround?

Reply #935074 | Report this post

Hoopin’ in the burbs  
Earlier this year

Harvey has been involved in basketball longer than she has been breathing! So her experience and network helped her implement culture change. Her reputation I'm sure helped with recruiting. But both of those things I think helped them return to winning. Hard to ignore her impact there.

Reply #935076 | Report this post

Saphire  
Earlier this year

Dandenongs turnaround is phenomenal particularly considering it has two strong clubs in close proximity in Casey and Frankston. I don't know how Harvey did it but it’s great to see Dandenong back as a top club after so many years

Reply #935134 | Report this post

Footloose  
Earlier this year

Harvey turned it around so quickly because she took something like 12 Nunawading coaches with her & a bunch of top kids went with them.

On top of that, Dandenong has always been a destination club' because it’s easy to get to from all sides. So they get quality imports coming to them in all age groups (except U12’s), every year.

When you don’t have the pull that Harvey has (I take my hat off to her), you need to focus on building your base up, which is the domestic space. Get that right & the rest will follow.

Reply #935138 | Report this post

Saphire  
Earlier this year

It is always interesting to watch. It generally is about the top people not having effective leadership style or not doing the right thing and people show their disapproval with their feet. Havey took 12 coaches with her I read Havey creates loyalty. Magic has a new GM so hopefully there will be a turnaround there but it may take time

Reply #935140 | Report this post

Isaac  
Earlier this year

Thread pruned and locked. Sorry, just not worth any legal risk people create in situations like this. I appreciate those that replied to the original question in the spirit of it though.

Reply #935197 | Report this post

Thread locked

This thread has been locked and replies are not permitted.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:43 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754