Rhino
Earlier this year

DJV signs 3 year deal

Just been made official. DJV for 3

Topic #51765 | Report this topic

Peter  
Earlier this year

Great news. DJ is a key part of building a successful club and 3 years is a vote of confidence in player and club.

He is top level Aussie talent, has the right attitude and just makes us better. His other work in driving, passing and creating space for others was very noticeable since day 1, particularly when we were a rabble when he first arrived. Just needs to have better shot selection and pull back on throwing up 3's (particularly contested) from way outside the 3 point line, which he has been much better at recently. He is deadly from on 3 point line, so play to his strengths. Assume the change in coach, having structure and team plays, with the team all on the same page has helped this.

His quotes are interesting on how much he feels at home and loves the club/city. Hopefully this translates to other top level talent signing on, starting with his good mate Isaac Humphries.

Hopefully the start of exciting times.

Reply #935231 | Report this post

Peter  
Earlier this year

Forgot to mention DJ called out how happy the team is, that the players have all bought in and Ninnis needs another year.

The team have structure, the players understand their roles, look like they are enjoying themselves and playing good D.

Not sure how much of this is Kubank, who was a hard nosed defender, but surely Ninnis and Kubank would be favourites to be retained next year (unless Trev Gleeson can be signed) now after that public endorsement from a key player. I'm sure that would have been part of DJs discussions before signing for 3 years.

Reply #935233 | Report this post

Beantown  
Earlier this year

Yeah great news! Tops off a very good month for the Sixers. Ninnis is clearly getting a lot more out of the roster than CJ and DJV's endorsement certainly strengthens the case for extending the coach. Hopefully Isaac is close to signing as well!

Reply #935237 | Report this post

AngusH  
Earlier this year

No outs of any kind either which is a big win for Adelaide.

Reply #935238 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this year

Excellent signing, big game this weekend.

Reply #935239 | Report this post

KET  
Earlier this year

3 years...no outs…

What's the catch here?

Reply #935250 | Report this post

LaPark  
Earlier this year

I would guess no outs means the money is good enough that he's not chasing Europe $. Sounds like the brief NBA experience he had soured him pretty badly on that front, so may have given that up completely.

I would hazard a guess that they just took what they were paying McCarron and gave it to DJV. $400K a year ain't a bad amount to be on, especially cost of living wise being in Adelaide compared to being in Sydney.

Reply #935251 | Report this post

AngusH  
Earlier this year

They probably paid slight overs on him, but you've got him for his prime (26-29) years. Worth it, and you know what you are going to get from DJ.

Reply #935253 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Earlier this year

No outs doesn't mean one can't be negotiated, but it suggests the 36ers can ask for very good compensation should a too-good-to-refuse situation come up.

Hopefully that won't happen though, he seems very happy being reunited with Ice and playing in front of big home crowds. Fingers crossed the start of an Adelaide resurgence to be genuinely competitive again.

Reply #935254 | Report this post

Jonno  
Earlier this year

Great signing imo

Now surround him with an elite import PG like Walton and a defensive athletic wing like Simon, keep Humphries and Wiley and I think we are back in the playoffs.

Reply #935255 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Earlier this year

Vasiljevic replaces McCarron $$$ wise next season (marquee player)

If can keep Humphries a good foundation.

Contract situation right now
/Cadee
Vasiljevic/Dech
/Marshall
/
Humphries/

A good core to build on

Reply #935257 | Report this post

Peter  
Earlier this year

Looks like Antonius Cleveland averaging 1 point in Israel. Not sure about minutes, but is he a possibility?

Reply #935259 | Report this post

LaPark  
Earlier this year

@Peter

That 1ppg looks like it's from a few years ago, though according to the Euro league website he'd averaging 4.9ppg and 1.3 rpg on 12 minutes a game. Looks like he's had a bit of a rough patch through the start of 2024 though, averaging 2.3 points on about 6.5 minutes.

Looks like he's the 8th or 9th guy off the bench, nothing totally amazing, but he's also had a few games where he's scored decently with the shots he got. Given he's about to turn 30 though I imagine his decision on where to play will come down to where the biggest offer comes from.

Reply #935261 | Report this post

AlphabetA  
Earlier this year

He does have out clauses in his contract, he doesn't have options with the 36ers (player's, team or mutual). So if Europe comes calling, there is a price tag attached with it.

Reply #935262 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Earlier this year

Anyone got a reference for the no out clause... it seems very unlikely he doesn't have an nba out and if he does there wont be a value in it. There's no chance he would waive that for a $400k salary. Nearly all the starting players have it. I got told breakers tried to avoid one with cheatham but was a no go

Reply #935266 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Earlier this year

They need a top level PG. Are they a chance to sign WMW for next season? He won't be staying at the breakers, unlikely for the cats now and would be a good fit for 36ers

Reply #935267 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Earlier this year

I am not going to celebrate this signing yet. I think a lot remains to be seen. I remember when a 3 year McCarron deal was seen as a good move. Look how that turned out? DJV probably provides a more obvious upside to the team, but if in a year or two we decide he cant lead us to success, what then? I am not sure the guy is 'so good' that he needs to be locked away like that. But time will tell.. I just know most Aussies in this league are overpaid and overrated and I have to see a bit yet before I can say DJV is not going to be one of them.

Reply #935269 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this year

You lock him up and pay the freight or someone else does. He's a very good local, hard to find, so you have to take the odd risk or you’ll get no one. Risk and reward, doesn’t always work but it’s a good starting point

Reply #935271 | Report this post

LaPark  
Earlier this year

He seems close to Humphries as well, so if locking up DJ long-term convinces IH to stay then that's just an added bonus.

Also given some of the rumours about agents steering players away from Adelaide, are you even guaranteed that you'll be able to find a local at a comparable level to sign? And even if you did, are you getting them on any better terms or a deal that's only 2 years instead of 3?

Reply #935274 | Report this post

KET  
Earlier this year

That training press conference ooft, honest answers!

Reply #935278 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Earlier this year

"I just know most Aussies in this league are overpaid and overrated"

This couldn't be further from the truth. Basketballers of similar talent in many other countries get paid a lot more. Sportsmen of comparable talent (or lower) in other sports in Australia get paid a lot more.

Reply #935283 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Earlier this year

WMW might not be the only one interested in Adelaide :P

Reply #935284 | Report this post

Bored  
Earlier this year

If they can pair him with a true number 1 option this deal will turn out fantastic. As a number two ball handler and more catch and shoots his percentages should lift from 38% FG and 33% 3PT.

Reply #935290 | Report this post

KET  
Earlier this year

Q Anon - Has there been a change from the overall reluctance of players to want to be in Adelaide?

Just hard to figure out why WMW or others would suddenly show an interest in Adelaide.

Am I reading the lines wrong?

Reply #935293 | Report this post

Gazee  
Earlier this year

Mody moar , Q Anon

Reply #935294 | Report this post

Gazee  
Earlier this year

Ket maybe looking to follow potentially his current coach to Adelaide

Reply #935295 | Report this post

KET  
Earlier this year

Ahhh, I saw some thing about Mody but really only registered it in my mind as probably aggregated click bait.

DJV has so strongly emphasised wanting Ninnis back, it'd be pretty tough to neglect that surely?

What’s their preference?

1. Goorj
2. Gleeson (was close to signing until the Bucks job?!)
3. Maor
4. Ninnis

Reply #935297 | Report this post

AngusH  
Earlier this year

"If they can pair him with a true number 1 option this deal will turn out fantastic. As a number two ball handler and more catch and shoots his percentages should lift from 38% FG and 33% 3PT."

He's a volume shooter and I think that's the trade off. Most important part is having a coach that knows when the time has come to yank him for a quick sit-down when he goes too far in that direction - the Kings did it, and I've seen Ninnis do it a few times as well this season.

Reply #935298 | Report this post

Gazee  
Earlier this year

I agree ket but seems to be direction around the traps , I hope Scott stays on

Reply #935300 | Report this post

hoopie  
Earlier this year

Maor seems divisive, Ninnis seems collaborative. I can't see the Sixers players being keen on Maor.

I agree that it’s likely to be clickbait, but ... it could also be Maor’s agent testing the waters if Maor is likely to be in need of a job next season, or if he wants to pressure Breakers into giving him a better deal.

Reply #935302 | Report this post

AlphabetA  
Earlier this year

Many forget that DJV played with many younger players including Isaac and WMW in the past so it wouldn't be a surprise if he picked up the phone and tried to lure some of this available talent to Adelaide.

Also about his shooting, he is a far better shooter than his stats and many coaches know that. You place him in a position like Goulding he would probably have similar numbers. Now as AngusH said - it comes down to a coach to sat him straight but he also needs to mature that he doesn't have to take every silly 3pointer. Some improvements we could see - game at Cairns with the final shot being a step back 3 and miss vs game at Wollongong when he drove and drew a foul and made both.

And whoever says that these athletes are overpaid has no clue - most players are rather on a low base salary, only a handful make some money, probably Bryce and a few others make something substantial but it pales in comparison to some European leagues, actually most of them.

Reply #935304 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Earlier this year

Ninnis has been out of the elite game for a very long time. I am not sure giving him long term control is a very smart basketball or business decision

Reply #935305 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this year

Moar has a star studded roster, and yes they've had a few injuries, most sides do, and he hasn’t been able to get them to finals, Sixers would not be that stupid again, surely.

Reply #935306 | Report this post

KET  
Earlier this year

Boti suggesting that Goorj and Gleeson are more of a fantasy for Adelaide.

Goorj likely linked to SEM with Kelly/Ninnis as assistants, or Sydney.

Ninnis targeted by a couple of clubs... not sure what that means. I can't think of clubs outside of SEM and Sydney that would look for coaches, and if so we’d be talking your Goorj type…

Reply #935307 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Earlier this year

No one is targeting Ninnis

Reply #935308 | Report this post

Peter  
Earlier this year

Paper today said Goorj happy to listen to what 36ers have to offer, but suggested Gleeson was ready to sign a few weeks before the Bucks job come up.

Also said Ninnis making a good case to be retained.

Not sure how much Goorj has left in the tank, but Gleeson would be a good get

Reply #935314 | Report this post

Beantown  
Earlier this year

I've always had bad vibes about Mody Maor. I think he'd be a bad choice. I watched him up close at a game in Adelaide a couple of years ago when he was the NZ assistant and he just seemed flat out disrespectful to his own head coach and the refs.

Since then I often feel like he's about to pop a vein and descend into an epic George Costanza rant at any moment! He's probably the coach I like the least in the NBL in recent years!

Reply #935317 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Earlier this year

It wasn't that long ago everyone was adamant Gleeson was never signing in the NBL yet now the narrative is he was close with the Sixers.

Reply #935320 | Report this post

AngusH  
Earlier this year

Geographically he was fairly close.

Reply #935325 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Earlier this year

NBL hype machine in overdrive. Gleeson is very good friends with Joey Wright. Goorjian also friends with Joey. Any chance they check with Joey to get his take on the situation with management and ownership before they seriously chat. Of course they will listen to offers because it helps create market tension for their services.

Reply #935326 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Earlier this year

Yeah I doubt any elite coach would seriously consider dealing with a GK-owned club.

Reply #935327 | Report this post

Peter  
Earlier this year

Q Anon, agree and that's what I took from Goorj listening to all offers. Of course he will as it is best way to drive price up. Doesn't mean he will seriously consider it though.

My ears pricked up about the Gleeson comment though but it could be all a PR stunt

Reply #935349 | Report this post

hoopie  
Earlier this year

The possibility of Gleeson and Goorjian coaching in the NBL would make it more attractive to investors and other leagues wanting some relationship, given their coaching reputation.

I reckon it's a LK-driven bit of fake news in the interests of better publicity.

Reply #935350 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this year

I'm waiting to see how the Olympics plays out, is goorg the same coach he once was.

Reply #935353 | Report this post

Kev  
Two months ago

Goorj idea is as hopeful as Joe Biden becoming the US president. It might look great and is achievable but in reality it's a death sentence.

Reply #935357 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two months ago

Joe Biden is the US President.

Reply #935358 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two months ago

I think that's his point.

Reply #935361 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two months ago

Solid gold.

Reply #935422 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Two months ago

Matt Logue in todays Asvertiser has confirmed that DJV only has the one standard NBA out clause.

Reply #935430 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Two months ago

That makes sense Ballin fan. I found it hard to believe he didn't have an nba out clause... it's a given for contracts now even though most are dreaming!

Reply #935471 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Two months ago

I still wouldn't be offering djv $400k for one season let alone three! Far better spent trying to keep Kell and/or Humphries

Reply #935472 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:39 pm, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754