Manders
Earlier this year

State Basketball Centre

We've just seen 1600 teams play a huge community based tournament, and the State Basketball Centre was not used? Anyone know why? Just asking for the benefit of tax payers who funded it. Lost opportunity to showcase the $132m upgrade. I am sure Development Victoria will be thrilled to see how their funds were not used on what is probably the largest weekend of basketball in the State.

Topic #51766 | Report this topic

Turnover  
Earlier this year

Given it was only handed over for use to BV about the middle of January, there was probably a high risk of the building not being finished and handed over in time. Especially given the building industry shuts down over Christmas.

Would it have been better to fixture games at the SBC, then it not be past fit for use, only the tournament having to scramble for venues to cover at the last minute, and re-fixture everything. NO, that would be a waste of resources and peoples time.

Safe option was the best option IMO.

Reply #935225 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Earlier this year

Don't the clubs/councils own the other stadiums? If so then why would they want to lose business?

Reply #935226 | Report this post

Manders  
Earlier this year

Turnover, interesting that other events have been running there, which have been organised for some time. Just a real shame. And there are a few politicians who are no doubt quite surprised.

Reply #935227 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Earlier this year

The State Basketball Centre was being used over the weekend for the SA Senior Country Basketball Championships. There were 2 large carnivals here in SA over the weekend.

Reply #935228 | Report this post

DeepWombat  
Earlier this year

I think what Turnover said makes sense, though there is some history of poor scheduling of the SBC - I believe the VC grand finals couldn't be played in the SBC last season because a cheerleading group had booked the venue first. Anyway, I'm sure it will get plenty of use in time.

I would say that the Montmorency Secondary College venue for the A grade boys GFs was excellent, a world class facility itself.

Reply #935229 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Earlier this year

My bad. Didn't read the initial post well enough. BV not BA... :p

Reply #935230 | Report this post

Jayhoops  
Earlier this year

Manders, what events other than Southern Cross were held at the State Basketball Centre?

In terms of the scale of the tournament, SCC obviously pales in comparison. The timing might also have allowed for BVic to shift venue if there were issues with the State Basketball Centre in the lead up. Similar to how they scrambled last year and held it at Boronia.

Reply #935232 | Report this post

Juice  
Earlier this year

BV don't own or control the State center or what happens in it. they are only occupants. Of the 18 courts the only 6 courts that are available, Knox has control over most of those. The Flyers and phoenix occupy 2 of the 6. So with Knox not playing in the tournament and running their own 3x3 tournament there, it was not available. BV has no control over that facility. It's handed over but very unfinished.

Reply #935234 | Report this post

benchballer  
Earlier this year

How is the SBC in Victoria air-conditioned, evaporative or Reverse Cycle type?

Reply #935241 | Report this post

BigD  
Earlier this year

Knox and Dandenong had a disagreement about the tournament that led to it not being available apparently. Knox wanted a share of profits given they have to pay for staff to run Knox's venues, as Dandenong don’t staff them (contrast to Eltham who staff every venue on their side). Dandenong said no, so Knox pulled availability, from what I’ve heard.

Reply #935248 | Report this post

Anon  
Earlier this year

That makes sense to why there were no Raiders teams at the tournament

Reply #935252 | Report this post

Manders  
Earlier this year

Why would a State Basketball Centre, funded by Victorian taxpayers, not be available because a couple of local associations can't work it out? This sort of thing will impact the ability of basketball to raise funds from the State.

Reply #935256 | Report this post

LC  
Earlier this year

Knox took their balls home and locked the stadium in a hissy fit and pulled all their teams?

Reply #935263 | Report this post

Esky 21  
Earlier this year

I would be disappointed if this is the real reason for Knox not participating in the tournament.

Reply #935282 | Report this post

Manders  
Earlier this year

And if the comment above is correct, Knox ran their own little 3x3 comp on the shiny new courts funded by all the people playing elsewhere.

Reply #935318 | Report this post

LC  
Two months ago

Knox did in fact run their own internal 3x3 comp across the weekend for their Raiders rep teams.

Reply #935359 | Report this post

Manders  
Two months ago

Why is it called the State Basketball Centre?

Reply #935365 | Report this post

Hoopstragic  
Two months ago

At least there is a State Basketball Centre in Vic!

Reply #935373 | Report this post

Poppa Pump  
Two months ago

Manders seems to be the typical "old man yelling at a crowd" poster. Should I educate you how govt grants work or should I let you keep yelling?...which one is more fun?!?

Reply #935383 | Report this post

Manders  
Two months ago

Go for it fella.

Reply #935408 | Report this post

SonicBoomer  
Two months ago

Anyone know if the Glory League filming system is set up for all the new courts?

Reply #935456 | Report this post

SonicBoomer  
Two months ago

Update to the above. It is not.

Reply #935529 | Report this post

BrickCity  
Two months ago

Any truth to the rumour the new SBC courts are bubbling up? Not playable on currently?

All those little 3x3 games must have been too much for the courts

Reply #935822 | Report this post

Juice  
Two months ago

Not true

Reply #935827 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:23 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754