Hoops 40
Two months ago

What’s Wildcats issue with Cal Bruton?

I've seen multiple times Cal Bruton calling out the Perth Wildcats and in particular the fact that his jersey hasn’t been retired. What happened here? I’m sure the club has its reasons but I feel for the bloke because I see him post things about the club multiple times all the time on social media and it comes across like someone who is really hurting. Any idea what the go is here?

Topic #51788 | Report this topic

alexkrad  
Two months ago

Hot Take?

82 games is not enough

That is as simple as it is

Reply #935697 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two months ago

As above you've got to put in them hours.

482 Ricky Grace
380 Shawn Redhage
371 James Crawford
349 Andrew Vlahov
310 Damian Martin
302 Mike Ellis
247 Scott Fisher
RIP Scott Fenton

Reply #935700 | Report this post

TrevorTorrance  
Two months ago

He did coach them to their 1st championship ring through (so that should count for something) and before he arrived they were bottom dwellers!

Reply #935701 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Two months ago

Yeah i'm sorry but in my opinion he isnt worthy of the jersey retirement. And the way he carries on through social media makes me think he needs to move on and let it go. I have had countless 'conversations' about the things he says and he is delusional.

Reply #935702 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Two months ago

In comparison Smyth has 3 coaching titles with Adelaide and played 33 games for them too. No hint of him having a banner in the rafter. Cal never shy in promoting himself.

Reply #935703 | Report this post

Team nWo  
Two months ago

Cal = ultimate self promoter

Reply #935706 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Two months ago

Especially now with a criteria being set that you must have played at least 200 games and two titles under the belt. Personally, I think Paul Rogers should have his number retired due to being the first Wildcats player to win the league MVP, but with 192 games played, he can't be considered. It's a very high bar being set.

Reply #935707 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two months ago

Yeah, Cal has always been a bit borderline for me as well re. jersey retirement.

I'll always love what he brought to the club. His arrival coincides with the start of my fandom, and of course the start of our run of success.
But correlation ≠ causation, and his career here wasn't that long.
Plus there are already 8 jerseys hanging up there!

Reply #935708 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two months ago

Cal came to Perth, amongst others, because Bob Williams purchased the team and spent big after it went from being association run to private.

Williams saved the team from going under after BWA couldn't afford to run it, if anyone should be honoured from that era it's him.

Reply #935709 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Two months ago

He did coach them to their 1st championship ring through (so that should count for something) and before he arrived they were bottom dwellers!

He could be credited for being a good coach and front office executive for bringing in Crawford, Pinder, Grace, Jeff Allen (giggle), Vlahov and Hansen.

But because he coached in successful year doesn't mean his singlet goes up there.

Especially now with a criteria being set that you must have played at least 200 games and two titles under the belt.

I have never heard this, is this a Wildcats level requirement or league level?

Reply #935713 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Two months ago

Williams saved the team from going under after BWA couldn't afford to run it, if anyone should be honoured from that era it's him.

I thought Jack Bendat deserved this honour.

Reply #935714 | Report this post

S1L3NC3R83  
Two months ago

OP your supposition is wrong. The Wildcats do not have a problem with Cal, Cal has a problem with the Wildcats.

I have never heard anyone from the Wildcats who has not acknowledged Cal's part in making the Wildcats successful. However unless you are going to honour every championship coach by raising a commemorative top to the rafters, in which case Trev's tight polo probably has more right, then his playing career at Perth does not warrant retirement of his singlet.

Reply #935715 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two months ago

I thought Jack Bendat deserved this honour.

Huh? Were talking about 1987-1990.

Reply #935718 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two months ago

We're*

Reply #935719 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:06 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754